Current status of database sizes versus actual data?

iCletus

Idea

I am interested about what I have read in other threads about a "known" issue with database size being much "larger" than actual data.

Is this still the case or has this known issue been resolved?

Any in put appreciated.

7 replies to this idea

I am interested about what I have read in other threads about a "known" issue with database size being much "larger" than actual data.

Any in put appreciated.

I'm not aware of this being an issue. However, a database is always going to be larger than the data it contains b/c of "overhead".

• Level 5*

Probably posts by me. I'll take a look next time I have a chance, but last I checked the "problem" was not quite as bad, especially if you deal with notes that are deleted but hanging out in limbo (I forget the name of the folder -- purgatory?). This appears to be mainly a Mac thing. Of course, as BNF said, databases will often be larger than the data put into them, but in my case, I was seeing several times the size of my actual data. I consider that a "problem" but I guess most users wouldn't even notice.

The database sizes I've been reading about, have been two, three, or four times the actual data. I am not sure if they were posts by you.

I understand about overhead etc. and I am also aware in some of them, that users were putting absolutely everything from music to photo libraries in there it appeared.

I would not be doing that. But I do not want an out of scale database either. I was really interested in what sounded like a known issue causing the out of proportion sizes and if that was addressed or not.

I too, and the type of user, that would notice such an issue. It would be of concern to me. Thanks for the information. Hopefully it has been, or continues to be addressed.

• Level 5*

Please supply links to these "other threads".
  • Level 5*

As far as I know, yes. iOS no longer tells you the amount of data it sees in your account, but presumably it is going to still be a small database. I only saw a tiny bit larger databases on Windows when I had my account downloaded onto that computer, but Mac has had this problem (I call it a problem, but I don't recall Evernote ever recognizing it as such) for a long while. The thing is that I haven't checked lately, and it may well be that they have made improvements in this regard. At any rate, as far as I know, this is only of concern to Mac users. That said, one cool thing that Mac users have is Spotlight integration. This has become an integral part of my workflow and is (at least, for me) a huge benefit to the current way that the database / files are structured, even if there is (I guess) the large database tradeoff.

Archived