Taking notes on an existing sound recording?

I'm interested in using Evernote in my work, and I want to know whether it supports my specific requirement.

One of my information sources is sound recordings of meetings and conference calls. I listen to them and take notes, and sometimes return to the point where I took a particular note to listen again and add to the note.

I want to computerize this process. I want to be able to type the notes into the computer while I'm listening to the recording amd have the notes linked to the recording, so that I can play back part of the recording by clicking the associated note, or see a note when I play back the associated part of the recording.

I've learned the hard way that this is not "essentially the same as" recording a lecture and taking notes at the same time, and having the notes linked to the lecture. Microsoft's OneNote does that, but does NOT do what I need.

BTW, making the original recording in Evernote is not an option. I don't get to record these meetings, because I don't attend them. Usually I don't even know that one is happening until after the fact.

I'm interested in using Evernote in my work, and I want to know whether it supports my specific requirement.

One of my information sources is sound recordings of meetings and conference calls. I listen to them and take notes, and sometimes return to the point where I took a particular note to listen again and add to the note.

I want to computerize this process. I want to be able to type the notes into the computer while I'm listening to the recording amd have the notes linked to the recording, so that I can play back part of the recording by clicking the associated note, or see a note when I play back the associated part of the recording.

I've learned the hard way that this is not "essentially the same as" recording a lecture and taking notes at the same time, and having the notes linked to the lecture. Microsoft's OneNote does that, but does NOT do what I need.

BTW, making the original recording in Evernote is not an option. I don't get to record these meetings, because I don't attend them. Usually I don't even know that one is happening until after the fact.

The only thing I can think of is to use something like Livescribe to take notes & record the audio while you are listening to the meeting audio file on your computer. Although you are not attending the original meeting, listening to an audio of it is no different than if you were attending the meeting, at least as far as Livescribe is concerned. (Because when you want to listen to the part you took notes on, you'd use the Livescribe file, not the original audio file). I have used Livescribe for several years & there are various ways of saving the notes in Evernote. Please search the board on the topic, if you need more information.

• Level 5*

Nice thought - to re-record the meeting via Livescribe would sync the notes with the (copied) audio,  which is what's requested.  My lateral-thinking muscles are still stiff from Easter Egg OD!   ;)

Archived