Evernote overexposes notes taken in pencil

Hello,

I find that Evernote seems to be overexposing my notes when I use my iPhone. I take notes in pencil, about 5 pages per hour in a 5" x 9" moleskine, 1 to 3 hours a day. Admittedly, I use a 0.3 mm automatic pencil with B lead (so a bit darker than "default" HB), and occasional color. I have 2.5 notebooks (250 pages each) full of notes. I would like to import them, but I don't want to invest the time until I figure out how to do it effectively.

The "document" setting in Evernote's iPhone app applies the right cropping, but the exposure is too high, particularly in the middle of the page (presumably where the flash is focused?) Is there any way to adjust the document images or use HDR images?

• Level 5*

If you have over 600 individual pages of notes I'd strongly recommend a sheet-feed scanner rather than a device camera.  It'll be much quicker - less than an hour in a feeder against a day or two with a camera - and the results will be more consistent and more legible to OCR.  If you have to go ahead with the device camera I'd also recommend choosing a well-lit area,  finding something to rest the phone in at roughly the right height for a picture,  and switching off the flash in Settings if you possibly can.

• Level 5*

Hello,

I find that Evernote seems to be overexposing my notes when I use my iPhone. I take notes in pencil, about 5 pages per hour in a 5" x 9" moleskine, 1 to 3 hours a day. Admittedly, I use a 0.3 mm automatic pencil with B lead (so a bit darker than "default" HB), and occasional color. I have 2.5 notebooks (250 pages each) full of notes. I would like to import them, but I don't want to invest the time until I figure out how to do it effectively.

The "document" setting in Evernote's iPhone app applies the right cropping, but the exposure is too high, particularly in the middle of the page (presumably where the flash is focused?) Is there any way to adjust the document images or use HDR images?

I avoid pencil, because the results tend to be inconsistent, and running pages through a scanner can be quite a mess (the lead starts smearing all over the other sheets). I think Gaz's second suggestion (basically, take the photos in a well-lit area) is probably going to be the best solution if you want to keep using pencil. Personally, I recommend some kind of pen -- below are some tests I did.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=876

Archived