Capturing what it says and what it signifies

Evernote’s value to me as a tool is in how it supports my writing process.  I use Mac OS X.  As a new premium user, I am finding that I cannot add my written thoughts to a web page “selection” concurrently with saving the selection to Evernote. 

I find Evernote’s value lies not just in web capture, but in coupling that web capture with what I’m thinking.  I want to simultaneously save the discovered web information AND my summary reflections about its significance to me. I want Evernote to keep up with the speed of my thinking.  

These two elements – discovery and the discovery’s meaning or significance – are really two aspects of a single thought process of determining a. the usefulness of information and b. intuiting where it fits in a scaffold, whose shape and scope I adduce gradually.  Thus, the usefulness of the information I discover, which I use Evernote to retain, is directly proportional to being also immediately able to capture instantly the ideas that spontaneously, rapidly emerge.

Being unable to annotate an html capture introduces a lag.  I am forced by Evernote's design to add thoughts later (ie., after I sync the capture with Evernote's server, or the capture on the server with my local copy).  With even such a slight lag, my thought process is interrupted, associations are lost, or they become more difficult to reconstruct, their collation with related ideas becomes more laborious.  I don’t want to Command-Tab to Evernote to further emend/amend the information just captured and only after a tab refresh.  

I’d appreciate hearing others’ opinions and objectives.  I only know my own objectives, habits.   It is unclear to me what the full range of uses is for Evernote.  Please guide me if I have overlooked some feature or capability.  Does anyone do anything with scripting that might address this?  I appreciate any and all response, thanks.

• Level 5*

You could start a new note with a couple of keystrokes,  copy the url into the note and write your comments while looking at the actual page,  then clip the page into another note..  you wind up with two notes,  but enough common information that you can link them together easily if required...

• Level 5*

You could start a new note with a couple of keystrokes,  copy the url into the note and write your comments while looking at the actual page,  then clip the page into another note..  you wind up with two notes,  but enough common information that you can link them together easily if required...

You don't even need to use the web clipper -- clip via standard copy, start a new note via (Ctrl+Alt+N), and paste. Annotate from there.

Do these steps appear correct?  First, while in Chrome, I select text.  I then copy it.  I then start a new note in the Mac Web Clipper with control-command-N from the OS X menu bar.  I then paste text from clipboard into the pop-up Evernote clipper. I then copy the URL, reopen the clipper from the menu bar, and paste the URL into the clipper.  I then add any annotations.  I then click save to Evernote.  (I count 8 or 9 physically distinct steps.)

You don't even need to use the web clipper -- clip via standard copy, start a new note via (Ctrl+Alt+N), and paste. Annotate from there.

I assume "clip via standard copy" refers to clicking on the elephant icon, ie., the Evernote Chrome extension.  I assume Ctrl+Alt+N in windows corresponds in OS X to starting a new note in with control-option-command-N from the OS X menu bar, which brings up an Untitled Note in my Mac's local version of Evernote.  I then paste into that note text I had selected and copied from the Chrome tab.  I then alt-tab back to Chrome and copy the URL, alt-tab back to Untitled Note in my local Mac version of Evernote, and paste the URL into it.  I then annotate and click save to Evernote.  Seems like about 8 physically distinct steps.

• Level 5*

I assume "clip via standard copy" refers to clicking on the elephant icon, ie., the Evernote Chrome extension.  I assume Ctrl+Alt+N in windows corresponds in OS X to starting a new note in with control-option-command-N from the OS X menu bar, which brings up an Untitled Note in my Mac's local version of Evernote.  I then paste into that note text I had selected and copied from the Chrome tab.  I then alt-tab back to Chrome and copy the URL, alt-tab back to Untitled Note in my local Mac version of Evernote, and paste the URL into it.  I then annotate and click save to Evernote.  Seems like about 8 physically distinct steps.

"Clip via standard copy" means make a selection in the web page, and Ctrl+C (or Command+C in your case, I guess). Ctrl+Alt+N opens a new note. Ctrl+V pastes. Annotate at will.

Archived