Feature request: Easy slider or menu controls for text size and/or zoom

edbattle

I use Evernote Premium on a Windows PC, in Google Chrome, on iPad and Android cellphone. Most often I use the client version on my Windows PC for its speed and search capabilities.

My Evernote database contains thousands of web clips. In recent iterations of the software, web clips mostly display in tiny, really miniscule text size occupying no more than one-quarter of the width of my widescreen monitor.

Adjusting text size within the note is not really useful, as I can't expand the screen width of the clip or adjust the leading between lines of type. If I try to size-up, I wind-up with equally illegible, overlapping type confined in the clip's frame, the width of which I cannot adjust.

I use Windows Magnifier as a kludge, but it's a 'follow the cursor' tool that requires constant repositioning.

I use Evernote a LOT. I don't like having to make a couple dozen screen moves with Windows Magnifier to read a single note, especially when I may want to consult 10 or 20 notes on one visit to the Windows client.

Adobe Acrobat has a drop-down menu always visible on screen that adjusts display by percentage. Google Chrome has the same feature in its drop-down Settings menu. 

I realize that Acrobat is managing display within its own software and format rules. Evernote is displaying imported HTML clips as well as the PDF that Acrobat displays. If that's a problem for Evernote developers, have they explored the type of slider control that is often used to instantly adjust display of, for example, JPGs in photo editing software, resizing the entire graphic object?

Often the most legible version of a web clip that I ever see is the CLEARLY version in my Google Chrome web browser--because CLEARLY was purpose-built to be a LEGIBILITY tool as well as an upgrade to Evernote's older web clipper. It uses the full width of the screen, which the desktop Evernote client emphatically does not.

A fast and easy means to adjust text for legibility would be a MAJOR enhancement of Evernote, IMHO. I confess that I find it really annoying to see note after note defaulting to a display that leaves the righthand 3/4 of screen empty--and the web clip almost illegibly small.

Many news media have used advances in HTML and content management systems to make their content MUCH easier to view in the last year, eg, Guardian UK, NYTimes. I realize desktop client software is a different animal than web software--but 'responsive design' UI/UX principles are in fact very similar in terms of using screen real estate well. Thanks for your consideration.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

An editor review is already under way - we'll have to wait a little while for the results but I think Evernote is well aware that extra features are required.

Archived