Released: Utility to auto-fix right-click "Copy Note Link" URLs back to evernote:/// format

luckman212

• Level 5

In recent versions (anything >5.2.x) the default behavior on the Windows EN client when you right-click a note and choose "Copy Note Link" has changed. You used to get an "evernote:///" URL which as long as EN was properly installed and registered its protocol handler, would automatically open such links within the EN application. The new version instead gives you "Web" URLs (https://www.evernote.com/.....) which while they appear to work the same when clicked from the Windows client, on the MAC client they will cause Safari to open instead which really bugged me.

So I wrote a small utility to auto-convert these Evernote Web URLs to the "old" evernote:/// format (in case it's useful to anyone). It sits quietly in your tray and only performs this one single function - automatically. You can grab it below:

1. download it (for Windows): ENConvertURL

2. unzip the .exe file anywhere you like

3. double click to run it - a settings file will be created in whatever folder you ran the app from.

4. now, whenever you use Right Click > Copy Note URL it will automatically convert the link into a local evernote:/// format one.

5. by default, you'll hear a short 'beep' to confirm that the script is working (you can disable that via the tray menu if it bothers you)

6. if you'd like it to run automatically whenever you log in, place a shortcut to it in your Startup folder (Start > Run > type "shell:startup" and hit enter)

Enjoy  :) if you have any problems with it please post them.

Update: for those who don't trust running random .exe's from the web (you shouldn't!) I have made the source code (written in AHK) available for download.

In recent versions (anything >5.2.x) the default behavior on the Windows EN client when you right-click a note and choose "Copy Note Link" has changed. You used to get an "evernote:///" URL which as long as EN was properly installed and registered its protocol handler, would automatically open such links within the EN application. The new version instead gives you "Web" URLs (https://www.evernote.com/.....) which while they appear to work the same when clicked from the Windows client, on the MAC client they will cause Safari to open instead which really bugged me.

So I wrote a small utility to auto-convert these Evernote Web URLs to the "old" evernote:/// format (in case it's useful to anyone). It sits quietly in your tray and only performs this one single function - automatically. You can grab it below:

1. download my utility here (for Windows): ENConvertURL

2. unzip the .exe file anywhere you like

3. double click to run it - a settings file will be created in whatever folder you ran the app from.

4. now, whenever you use Right Click > Copy Note URL it will automatically convert the link into a local evernote:/// format one.

5. by default, you'll hear a short 'beep' to confirm that the script is working (you can disable that via the tray menu if it bothers you)

Enjoy  :) if you have any problems with it please post them.

First I have had some problems with downloading (403 forbidden) and running on Windows 8.1 (SmartScreen warning), but now it works fine!! Many thanks.

Just a note, they aren't completely gone. Evernote still uses them internally, and you can force it to produce an evernote:/// type link.

If you hold CTRL while selecting "Copy Note Link" it appears as though it will force the note link to be the old, evernote:/// format.

Not sure about other clients (and I know that isn't the scope of this thread, but still...) I guess there could be something worth looking into a tool that could convert the two?
I think the web link has the same information that would make it work. You would need to shuffle the info around a little :)

Also...I totally called it. I think that this is the second such utility that has been made, not that there is anything wrong with that :D

• Level 5

I think that this is the second such utility that has been made

Oh I didn't realize! I didn't like the new behavior so I whipped this up quickly. I didn't even think of looking to see if someone had already done it. Where is the other utility that you speak of?

Yes! Thanks for creating and sharing this. First time I've come across any such tool. 

Makes me thing about how much could be accomplished with EN if they supported community created plugins/extensions like Firefox - but I'm sure that'd be a cross platform nightmare. On any note, when someone whips up something like this, it's very much appreciated. 

OMG thanks for this.

I registered the forum just to get this information. I was about to post a question when I red the post detailing my exact problem.

On the Mac, pressing the "option" key will deliver the classic behaviour.

Thank you.

I think I might be confused about this issue and hope someone can please clarify if the below is an accurate relection of how the Copy Note Link function (in Windows), now behaves. I have read both threads and understand there are a couple workarounds, including luckyman212's above utility.

But what I'm try to wrap my head around is how having the this function turn the "intended (by user) to be an internal link only" automatically turned in to a full internt link (URL), actually affects the process if you do NOT take steps to avoid having "http://" tacked on. (I really hope I'm making sense here.)

Is the below summary accurate?

● This means that when the link is clicked on, it will launch your browser, search via the internet, then locate your account - presumably find it's way back to your computer - locate and identify your Windows App & search your database, then open the target note.

● This is as opposed to simply having it search, identify and open the target note via your own system. (Assuming your database is fully synced so the offline copy you are seeing is what appears after opening the Windows App on your desktop is the same version stored on Evernote's servers.) This can slow down the process considerably and forces you to have your browser open whether you want it to be open or not.

Archived