Skipping note "XXXXXX" in an unsynced notebook "ABCD"

khandu

Hey Guys

On latest Evernote Windows Client 5.3.0.3360 (271360)

Created lots of notebooks and rearranged notes on Windows Client. Now it is not showing in web or other clients

Looking at activity log.. I have lots of errors like

Skipping note "XXXXXX" in an unsynced notebook "ABCD"

Pretty much for all the notebooks I created  - by right clicking on the notebook and clicking "Create notebook in ...."

Checking properties of the notebook says it is a "Synchronized Notebook" but still not sinking due to error mentioned above

How do I clear this error and force sync it so that it starts showing on web / other devices

Cheers

When you created lots of notebooks did you make any of them 'local notebooks' ?

Nope.. none of them.. It was created on older version.. I think 5.2.something.. but then when issue started happening I did an upgrade (which it didn't prompt me automatically, I had to click on "Check for Updates").. Still the issue persists.. 

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  OK - for future reference,  when making any major changes to your notes I'd recommend three things - 

1. make a backup of your current notebook before you start
  2. sync after every few changes,  not at the end,  and
  3. don't move the goalposts by updating your software or reinstalling the application at the same time.

If you haven't already done so I'd stop your desktop app syncing with the web - kill the wi-fi or something.  Then have a look at the web version;  is that your old notebook layout?  If that's the correct set of notes and notebooks without your recent changes,  you could rename your current desktop database (EXB) file,  reconnect the wi-fi and log back into the app.  Evernote will rebuild your database (it may take a while if it's a large one) and you can start again with my softly softly approach.

If that's not an option - and again if you haven't already - I'd raise a support ticket (see below).  Evernote techs might be able to help you sort out exactly what happened here.

Have a look in the trash notebook on your desktop and on the web to see what's in there,  and if it's not important clear both of them out.

If things are still up in the air,  try moving notebooks out of the stack they;re currently in (you said you created notebooks by right-clicking and "create notebook in..").  Click the arrow next to the stack name to see the included notebooks and check their status.  Drag and drop them under the main notebooks heading to unstack.

Hope some of that works - when you're raising the support request,  check out the 'chat' option too - you might be able to get some one-to-one help if you're in the right time zone.

Good luck!

Have a ticket raised.. but no response.. guess free account..

Hope I can fix this on windows so that it syncs to web and other devices..

I thought evernote will be robust enough to sync on the fly when I am making changes...

• Level 5*

Did you get a ticket reference number?  If you can post it here we can ask an admin to take a look.  Evernote doesn't sync as you make changes,  it does so at whatever interval you have the Tools > Options > Sync value set.  The default is 30 minutes,  so you could have made a lot of changes in that time,  and Evernote could still have been trying to sync those changes while you went on to make more...

Did you get a ticket reference number? 

Yes.. 

Ticket# 450514 -- Its funny how the ticketing system didn't allow attachment of .log or .txt file.. only pics.. 

Did you get a ticket reference number?  If you can post it here we can ask an admin to take a look.  Evernote doesn't sync as you make changes,  it does so at whatever interval you have the Tools > Options > Sync value set.  The default is 30 minutes,  so you could have made a lot of changes in that time,  and Evernote could still have been trying to sync those changes while you went on to make more...

This is probably the case.. But I need to fix it and don't want to redo all my work.. (can't remember half of it).. :(

Thanks for your help

I had this same problem. I think I created or modified without syncing the notebooks that wouldn't sync during or spanning upgrading.

I was able to solve this by creating new notebooks and copying all the unsynced notes to the replacement notebook, manually syncing, and deleting the old offending (now empty) notebooks

HTH

I had this same issue and think I found a much easier solution than dealing with your EN database folder.

1. Open your EN on the web and on the desktop the unsynced notebooks are located on.

2. Remove the unsynced notebooks from the current stack they are in by right-clicking the notebook to choose "remove from stack."

3. Sync your EN.

4. Refresh the webpage for your EN account.

The missing notebooks should appear at both locations.

I also created a couple of new notebooks in an older version of EN. After the problem popped up, I installed the upgrade, and still had the notebook issue. I open a ticket with EN support and the tech is still unable to figure it out.

I glanced at this thread this morning, which gave me the idea of trying the notebook move. I hope it works for you, too!

Thanks for all info guys

But I had already fixed the issue ..

Basically Evernote should sync notebook creation instantly.. and thus all notes in notebooks sync fine then.. I believe issue arises if notes are created in unsync notebooks and then just stops working.. pretty basic thing.. If you have 30 min defualt sync and someone using desktop client then I guess this issue will occur more often..

I have seen this same problem.  It is easy to 'fix' on a case by case basis by either unstacking notebooks or even renaming seems to get them unstuck. However it is a pain because unless you check the activity log you might not know this is happening until you are at a different computer and realize your work is not there!   I opened a ticket on this once, but when I told them that i had fixed the one instance, they assumed all is good and provided a canned:

"I am happy to hear that your issue has been resolved. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact support in the future."

I then responded with NO, you need to tell the developers, I got back the same exact canned response!  Oh, and I am premium member.   However, this very basic issue needs to be resolved. Maybe the developers will see it here. Sync needs to be RELIABLE folks.  

A quick update: I looked back and noticed this in the "we are closing out this support ticket":

"Bugs related to this ticket, if any, are on file with the engineering team and their fixes will be incorporated into upcoming releases"

So there is hope at least. I sure do love Evernote.  I do sure hate 'canned' responses to support questions though.  I have antibodies to them that causes some kind of allergic reaction :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am also experiencing this problem with notebooks on Windows mysteriously not syncing, ticket 497190. Now at 48 hours without even a canned response, though I did save the activity log to a cloud folder and pasted a link to it in the ticket. I will try renaming the notebooks to see if that helps.

This is a frustrating bug  that evernote really needs to fix ASAP.  At the very least the software should LOUDLY tell you when a note isn't syncing. It knows about it because it is (hidden) in the activity log, but if you forget to look in there, you end up with the situation I have. I had made all kinds of plans in new notes over the weekend, but guess what, they didn't sync so now I am without my notes at work.  If I cannot rely on evernote, then I have to find a new solution.  Oh and I am a premium member, but now I have buyer's remorse.

EDIT: "Synchronization Complete" could be replaced with "Synchronization complete, some notes could not be synchronized" or some such.

• Level 5*

This is a frustrating bug  that evernote really needs to fix ASAP.  At the very least the software should LOUDLY tell you when a note isn't syncing. It knows about it because it is (hidden) in the activity log, but if you forget to look in there, you end up with the situation I have. I had made all kinds of plans in new notes over the weekend, but guess what, they didn't sync so now I am without my notes at work.  If I cannot rely on evernote, then I have to find a new solution.  Oh and I am a premium member, but now I have buyer's remorse.

EDIT: "Synchronization Complete" could be replaced with "Synchronization complete, some notes could not be synchronized" or some such.

By several definitions this isn't a bug.  Different cures work for different people,  possibly because they have databases of different sizes and content.  This is a situation that arises from a number of potential causes,  and working with Support to investigate and fix each one helps to identify and deal with those causes.  Evernote have vastly improved sync times and accessibility - there may be more they can do,  but I'm sure more improvements will follow.  Meantime sync is necessary whether you're Premium or not - and you can always review your level of membership when your subscription comes due next.

By several definitions this isn't a bug.  Different cures work for different people,  possibly because they have databases of different sizes and content.  This is a situation that arises from a number of potential causes,  and working with Support to investigate and fix each one helps to identify and deal with those causes.  Evernote have vastly improved sync times and accessibility - there may be more they can do,  but I'm sure more improvements will follow.  Meantime sync is necessary whether you're Premium or not - and you can always review your level of membership when your subscription comes due next.

Ok, call it whatever you want, silently failing to sync is a problem for me.  However, I agree with you about working with support on them. Sometimes I don't have time. In this last instance, I already got the notes to sync again using the renaming trick. Next time I will submit a ticket again. I do love using evernote, I just wish it was perfect, is that asking for too much ? (Tongue firmly in cheek!)

Ok, call it whatever you want, silently failing to sync is a problem for me.  However, I agree with you about working with support on them. Sometimes I don't have time. In this last instance, I already got the notes to sync again using the renaming trick. Next time I will submit a ticket again. I do love using evernote, I just wish it was perfect, is that asking for too much ? (Tongue firmly in cheek!)

If you have time to PM me your activity logs, I'll take a look into it. Sorry about the trouble

I had a similar issue after a rearrangement of my notebook. I had one notebook who didn't sync at all (with all its 113 notes!).

I did this and worked:

1. Created a new Notebook and synced.
  2. Checked on web service if it appeared.
  3. Moved all the notes of the "missing" notebook to the new one.
  4. Synced.

Hope it helps.

Andrea: I like your idea of checking the web service, it is easier then trying to squint at the activity log for anything suspicious ("skipping note").   

DLU: Next time I will take you up on that, by the time I saw this it was too late to catch the event. 

Archived