Request for UI Redesign on Windows

Davehudsn

I don't know if Evernote even pays attention to these forums, but I would like to start a thread here anyway!

Evernote Product Development Team:   Can you please evaluate updating the Evernote Windows OS Software Interface?  

It is horrendous and EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING.  I don't know who designed it, but the controls are way to "touchy" and not well defined.  Everytime I try to navigate through it, i end up grabbing a note or a folder and dragging it somewhere i didn't want it to go and there is no "undo" feature.

Every since you introduced the "stacks" feature, it is even worse.  I try to scroll the list of notebooks and if you are slightly off by a pixel, or your mouse doesnt scroll perfect straight up and down, it will cause you to grab a folder and drop it onto another folder and then it creates a stack.

And on the theme of stacks - please read all the other posts..... get rid of it or give us a feature to turn it off.  It is annoying and useless.  What's the point of having a stack if it doesn't sync across my devices and shares???    Work on a proper folder structure rather than giving us a half-hearted poor attempt at that feature.

So last request - PLEASE look at redoing the user interface for Windows.  It is extremely user unfriendly.

Thanks,

Dave

Thanks for posting Dave.

I want to ask, how exactly are you scrolling? Are you using a touch screen? I haven't seen issues with accidentallys creating stacks outside of perhaps a few touch screens or pen inputs.

Also, your stack structure should sync across devices. I'm surprised that it doesn't for you, that could be a bug. What devices do you use?

I don't know if Evernote even pays attention to these forums, but I would like to start a thread here anyway!

Evernote Product Development Team:   Can you please evaluate updating the Evernote Windows OS Software Interface?  

It is horrendous and EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING.  I don't know who designed it, but the controls are way to "touchy" and not well defined.  Everytime I try to navigate through it, i end up grabbing a note or a folder and dragging it somewhere i didn't want it to go and there is no "undo" feature.

Every since you introduced the "stacks" feature, it is even worse.  I try to scroll the list of notebooks and if you are slightly off by a pixel, or your mouse doesnt scroll perfect straight up and down, it will cause you to grab a folder and drop it onto another folder and then it creates a stack.

And on the theme of stacks - please read all the other posts..... get rid of it or give us a feature to turn it off.  It is annoying and useless.  What's the point of having a stack if it doesn't sync across my devices and shares???    Work on a proper folder structure rather than giving us a half-hearted poor attempt at that feature.

So last request - PLEASE look at redoing the user interface for Windows.  It is extremely user unfriendly.

Thanks,

Dave

I have not encountered the issues you mention & have no problems with the current UI.

• Level 5*

Also, your stack structure should sync across devices. I'm surprised that it doesn't for you, that could be a bug. What devices do you use?

Stacks definitely sync across devices, at least to the Android and Web clients. They aren't shareable, though (not a big deal for me, but others have requested it).

Aside from accidental stack creations, if you don't want to use stacks, you can ignore them altogether.

I don't seem to have the same issues as the original poster.  However, I would really like to see a re-design of the Windows Desktop interface.  It is really bad.  On the other hand the Mac Desktop interface is outstanding.  

• Level 5*

I share OPs concerns even though it doesn't happen that often. It happens when I'm using my laptop and touchpad and I'm not very careful with hitting the small scroll bars. This has resulted in tags being moved within my nested tags and I have to rearrange them at times.

But as dlu pointed out, the big concern with the scroll bars issupport for touch input devices. Especially since the Windows 8 app is so lacking in features and the desktop version is the only .exe I know that doesn't support in-window scrolling..

• Level 5*

I don't seem to have the same issues as the original poster.  However, I would really like to see a re-design of the Windows Desktop interface.  It is really bad.  On the other hand the Mac Desktop interface is outstanding.

The more specific you can be, the better Evernote will be able to understand what you want. Just saying "it's bad" isn't very helpful. I'm pretty comfortable with the WIndows client, and like it, with some exceptions; what is is about the Mac client's UI that you like / prefer?

The more specific you can be, the better Evernote will be able to understand what you want. Just saying "it's bad" isn't very helpful. I'm pretty comfortable with the WIndows client, and like it, with some exceptions; what is is about the Mac client's UI that you like / prefer?

I'm not necessarily talking about the actual functionality of the two.  They both do the job.  I guess my biggest gripe with the Win version is the lack of contrast or colors.  The light gray/white color scheme is just not appealing and much more difficult to read than the Mac version.  Another option that I really miss on the Win version is the "side list view".  In windows when you change the view to "list" mode the only option is to have the list on top and the note on the bottom.  

Although I feel the Android UI is horrendous beyond repair, I like the Windows UI and love the stack feature. But I agree the Windows contast, or lack thereof, with white and very light gray is annoying.

• Level 5*

Another option that I really miss on the Win version is the "side list view".  In windows when you change the view to "list" mode the only option is to have the list on top and the note on the bottom.

Not quite true; in fact, this has been available on the Windows client for some time, but it's a hidden option. The shortcut key Ctrl+Shift+F5 will toggle between "horizontal" list view (the default) and "vertical" list view.

The contrast thing doesn't bother me; in fact, I like the subtlety. Horses for courses.

Another option that I really miss on the Win version is the "side list view".  In windows when you change the view to "list" mode the only option is to have the list on top and the note on the bottom.

Not quite true; in fact, this has been available on the Windows client for some time, but it's a hidden option. The shortcut key Ctrl+Shift+F5 will toggle between "horizontal" list view (the default) and "vertical" list view.

The contrast thing doesn't bother me; in fact, I like the subtlety. Horses for courses.

Awesome!  That helps a ton, but why the hell is it hidden.  I'm sure there are lots of others who may like that feature but don't the have time nor the inclination to read through forum posts.  

As for the contrast/colors...it may be nice to just have a few different theme options.  Maybe the difference is between the actual displays on my macbook vs win laptop.  The mac version is sooo much more enjoyable/easier to look at.  Plus uploaded images of my notes are cleaner, brighter and just easier to read in the mac version.  

Awesome!  That helps a ton, but why the hell is it hidden.  I'm sure there are lots of others who may like that feature but don't the have time nor the inclination to read through forum posts.

Funny story. It was actually in Evernote for Windows long before the Mac version.

I don't think it was really made obvious at the time because it was sort of a hack (Initially you had to use the registry)

Then it got a hotkey, but no menu option, again, not sure about that.

It was added to the Mac, straight away as a new function, which was intended (probably due to how the Win client worked with it)

Since it wasn't a hack, it was more pulicised I guess.

That said, I do wish it was more well known. I'm sure more people would use it if they knew.

Archived