[windows] Persistent tags from deleted shared notebook

MarkAU

Hi,

I have recently deleted a shared notebook. The tags that were used by the shared notebook are still showing in the tags list of my windows desktop app.

There are no notes associated with these tags. They are 'empty'.

The persistent tags only appear in the windows desktop app, and not the browser-based app, nor the android app.

When I right-click the tag, the 'Delete...' option is greyed out. I assume this is to do with permissions.

EN version 5.2.1. Did a complete reinstall just in case.

I also tried syncing from the android app, and opening the web app. Neither device shows the tags in question, but they persist in the desktop app.

The extra tags are a distraction I could use without (and the main reason for un-linking from the shared notebook).

Any assistance in the removal of these tags would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

• Level 5*

Hi Mark

Before you take any further action please backup your database - exit Evernote completely and copy the database folder elsewhere just in case.

Then,  in order of least complicated first,  I'd suggest you use Revo uninstaller to remove Evernote (again) and reinstall,  on the off-chance this is a software related issue.  If that doesn't fix things,  and provided you have no unsynced notes,  or purely local notebooks (and not too many notes),  you could try exiting Evernote (File > Exit) renaming the EXB file to something else,  and restarting the app.  This should download a fresh copy of your database from the server.

If neither of those suggestions helps,  you need to submit a support ticket (see below).

Hi gazumped,

Reinstalling again (using a 3rd party uninstall app) didn't work.

So I deleted the database folder (after copying it elsewhere) and restarted the program. Bingo! No more pesky tags.

I'll leave it to the experts to figure out why this happened. I'm just glad to have it fixed. Thanks again, and I hope this is of help to others.

Mark

• 5 months later...

Hi gazumped,

So I deleted the database folder (after copying it elsewhere) and restarted the program. Bingo! No more pesky tags.

I'll leave it to the experts to figure out why this happened. I'm just glad to have it fixed. Thanks again, and I hope this is of help to others.

Mark

Hi,

Where is the database folder?

thanks

• Level 5*

Hi gazumped,

Mark

Hi,

thanks

What's your OS?

Hi gazumped,

Mark

Hi,

thanks

What's your OS?

Sorry!

It´s Windows 7 and 8 (different machines has the same problem)

• 3 months later...

I don't know if this workaround got added since version 5.2.1, but at least in version 5.8.1 you can use this very simple method of deleting persistent tags from shared notebooks:

They might have their "delete" option greyed out, but you can still Drag'n'Drop them into the trash. ^_^

Hope this helps to keep other people from having to reset everything, just to get rid of those pesky tags.^^

Cheers

Archived