Simple Duh Tip for tracking work

torgerson

OK, I am sure many of you already know or do this, but I had a bit of an ah-ha moment this week.  When I am working on my stuff for the week, much of it is already in Evernote.  I was trying to track a separate journal for what I did each day.  I finally stumbled upon this idea when working on a presentation post about Evernote.. 

Problem:  

Sometimes I have a hard time remembering everything I accomplished in a day or week, big or small items alike.  I may need to reference something but I don't want a lot of overhead for tracking the work I am doing.  I wanted some easy way to track things I touched each day. 

Solution:  

Go to your NOTES section in the sidebar so all of your notes are showing.  If you don't already have the UPDATED field showing, right click and check the UPDATED field so it shows.

skitch.png?resizeSmall&width=832

Now, when you sort by updated, you will see all of your notes that were updated today.  At the end of the day, select all of those notes and choose to create a TABLE OF CONTENTS note. 

Now you will have a note that auto-links to each item you edited that day.  It makes it easy to not only track, but to get back to each item.  I then label my note with a journal entry and CMD-SHIFT-D for inserting the date automatically. 

Then I file this under a Journal notebook to make it easy to track down.  I can even add other notes to the bottom of the days entry.  The cool thing is, this only takes a couple minutes to complete.  It makes life easier days from now when you are trying to remember something you did Tuesday.  

My Duh-Tip.  I would love to hear if others have done some cool things.  If only there was an IFTTT recipe to automate this.  :) 

torgerson - 

Thanks for sharing. I can sense your enthusiasm in your words.

I have a question for you. You could do a search for all Notes updated today (or any specific day, for the matter). That would give you a list of them, much like your Table of Contents. What advantage does your method have over that approach?

Good question.. I think having a folder of a "journal" entry allows me to easily go through on Friday, look across my week and see the items i've touched.  This helps me spark a memory of a possible task I forgot, plan for next week, etc.   I guess I could do the search for each day and just look at this list but the TOC view just seemed to make it a bit easier for my weekly review.   

Thanks for posting this. I'm adding it to my ever-growing personal list of Tips 'n Tricks for Evernote! :)

Good question.. I think having a folder of a "journal" entry allows me to easily go through on Friday, look across my week and see the items i've touched. This helps me spark a memory of a possible task I forgot, plan for next week, etc. I guess I could do the search for each day and just look at this list but the TOC view just seemed to make it a bit easier for my weekly review.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have several saved searches in my Evernote, and these are in my Shortcuts:

Daily Review
any: created:day updated:day

Weekly Review

any: created:week updated:week

Monthly Review

any: created:month updated:month

Anything created or updated shows up in these searches based upon their create/update date. It works well for me. :-)

Also I have these saved searches as well:

Incomplete Reminders

-reminderDoneTime:00011231 reminderOrder:00011231

Completed Reminders

reminderDoneTime:00011231 reminderOrder:00011231

Thanks grberk, I decided to snag those saved searches that you suggested.

torgerson's method may have an advantage for those that want complete accuracy.  His method has more overhead, but his method would save the note "touch" even if he updated an older note and stomped over the previous "updated" time stamp.  That seems like a lot of work to do EACH day to me though.

Archived