Web Clipper not working (stopped within the last two weeks)

Holly P

Hi, I am running

MAC OSX 10.9.2

and Safari 7.0.2

and Evernote 5.5.0

Up until now the web clipper has worked great for me, but in the last couple of weeks it stopped. I just get the circle of circles interminably. I uninstalled the web clipper, re-downloaded and re-installed. I re-installed evernote and I just tried the beta version of the web clipper.  I haven't had it work on any of the blogs I follow (it worked fine on each of these previously), a few are posted below:

http://festivefriday.blogspot.com/2014/03/festive-friday-27-ffc27.html

http://just-add-ink.blogspot.com/2014/03/just-add-ink-206-sale-brations.html

http://jamielanedesigns.blogspot.com/2014/03/good-luck-print-and-cut-tutorial.html

Up until now I have been very satisfied with the web clipper, but this is one of the huge areas of info that I use Evernote to capture so if this continues to be a problem, it will be very frustrating.

Regards,

Holly

The sites mentioned in the OP all clips fine in our testing across supported configs 10.7.x and up on Safari 6 and up. There is currently no beta version of the Safari Clipper later than 6.1 which is already in production. 

- What type of clip do you do? (article, full page, bookmark etc.)

- Are you sure the clip is failing even if you wait 30 seconds?

I just un-installed web clipper, downloaded from your website a file that had 6.1 in the title and installed that. I still have no luck. The bar on the right doesn't even open, I don't get to the point of being able to try and select a clip type or anything, I just get the circle of circles in the middle of the screen and it stays, I waited at least a minute on the following two sites. These are both sites I have clipped from numerous times in the past.

http://www.pattystamps.typepad.com/pattys_stamping_spot/2014/03/perfect-blend-coffee-cups-card-for-any-occasion.html

http://samanthaleewalker.blogspot.com/2014/03/signs-of-spring-flower-tutorial-with.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SamanthaWalkersImaginaryWorld+%28Samantha+Walker%27s+Imaginary+World%29

Thank you!

Holly

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, not working for me either.

Safari 7.02, OSX 10.9.2, Web Clipper 6.1

It has worked sporadically, nothing today.  I've tried quitting and restarting, uninstall /reinstall, etc.  It just spins, never clips...

*** Update ***

I've tracked the problem to the targeted Notebook.  If I use the default Notebook selected by the clipper it works fine.  If I select a Notebook, it fails.

The sites mentioned in the OP all clips fine in our testing across supported configs 10.7.x and up on Safari 6 and up. There is currently no beta version of the Safari Clipper later than 6.1 which is already in production. 

- What type of clip do you do? (article, full page, bookmark etc.)

- Are you sure the clip is failing even if you wait 30 seconds?

As usual, EN is in denial.

Why is it that EN assumes that all users are stupid and have nothing better to do with their time that sit on these forums and complain?

If the product is working, then users won't be complaining.  If they are complaining, there is a problem.  EN's job is to understand the failure mode, not deny the existence of the failure.

@boatguy

We are not in denial. I'm reporting what we see in our testing and that we cannot reproduce the problem with the info we had at hand.

We'll continue doing more testing with the additional info you provided about notebook selection. 

I wonder if the experience I had today has any connection with the issue. Web Clipper was not working for me in Safari after I upgraded to Mavericks (I was getting the eternal loading animation), so I decided to install it on Firefox. During the installation process, I was asked to follow a link from an email (which opened in Safari) and to sign in to Evernote. My username and password automatically filled in from my keychain. But when I submitted, login failed because the site said the password was wrong (funny, since it was automatically filled in from my keychain, and had been working for months). I entered my password manually and successfully logged in. And voila, Evernote Clipper suddenly started working in Safari.

Could this be a login issue?

Mine is not a login issue.  It works fine if I accept the default notebook, loops endlessly if I select another notebook.

** Update **

What failed previously worked today.  Can't reproduce it today by choosing another notebook.  Possibly fixed by Safari 7.03?

Seeing is believing. I can demo the problem to you very easily. Live near your office and can arrange to meet you there or some other place. First clip worked like a charm. all the rest disappeared into I don't know where. Uninstalled and re-installed web clipper. Still not working.

Set up MacBook running Safari 5.1.10 (an oldie but goodie)

OSX 10/6.8

Evernote 5.5.1

Webclipper 6.1

Care to work this through with a real live user?

Sillydoberdog,

Thanks for your suggestion on the login. It worked! I logged out and closed evernote, closed the icon in the toolbar and uninstalled the web clipper. I rebooted my machine, opened and signed back in to Evernote and then downloaded and installed the web clipper. The first time I tried it I got the circle of circles, but I closed, and tried again, and I got the login screen and now it works! I don't understand why they couldn't replicate it, but at least I have the clipper back.

Holly

I celebrated too soon. It is being very touchy now, I will get a couple of clips and then I will get the circle of circles again! UGH! If I click on the icon a couple of times it will open the bar with the circle of circles still going but you can't do anything. 

Same with me. OS X 10.9.2, Safari 7.0.3, Evernote 5.5.1 and the webclipper stopped working - does not react at all. The error came out of the blue. I can clip manually by dragging the link to Evernote in dock, but not with webclipper. I have deinstalled webclipper, rebooted system, downloaded webclipper from Evernote website and installed it new - still the same problem. Clicking on the icon does not work at all. Logging out of Evernote and back in also is of no help. The problem started with webclipper showing the circle forever but after the re-install even the circle does not appear anymore.

evernote clipper will not install - extz file downloads but won't install -

safari 7.03 / osx 10.9.2 / en 5.5.1

all new install on new rmbp 15. installed en from en site (not app store) - 

(i do have en helper installed - did not realize this is separate from the clipper when prompted to install - came from PC world is this a possible conflict? if yes how do i uninstall helper) - 

any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously, I don't see a solution yet...I have the same problem. A few weeks ago, I was clipping fine.  For the last few days, I try several times a day to clip, and I just get the little circle going round and round.  Please, can you actually find an answer and help those of us with the problem?  Do I need to go to the Apple genius bar? Is it an Evernote problem? I'm on Safari and it worked just fine before.  Please help with a solution.  Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Evernote Clipper stopped working in Safari (7.0.3) and OSX 10.9.3 on some web sites (strangely, it works fine here - go figure) but go to https://www.yahoo.com/tech/whether-you-like-to-admit-it-or-not-you-probably-86234763129.html?src=rss and it fails - circle of dots remains on screen. The only way to stop is to go back. 

I uninstalled the Clipper and then reinstalled and the results are the same - Clipper 6.1.3 

The only workaround that I have is to copy to Chrome and then use Chrome. Please get this resolved quickly. :angry:

The only Web site on which it seems to work is this one for it fails on NYTimes and most other web sites. In Chrome, there are no problems. Perhaps Evernote is working to get Mac users to switch to Chrome. I have gone through all of the steps described above with no success.

• 2 weeks later...

EN are ignoring this issue.  

I have a brand new Mac Book Pro running 10.9 mavericks.  I have not installed anything new except for Office for Mac and Evernote.  That makes my platform the ideal to highlight this issue.  This is not a user issue.  Its a very real Clipper compatibility issue. 

There have been several iTunes updates and maybe a couple of safari updates since I got my laptop in April.  Gradually Safari exhibited slower and slower performance including more and more complete hangs on some sites.  By hang I mean I can see the header of the page but zero of the page loads.  Just white space.  I tried the usual cache clearing etc, but did notice the forums mentioned extensions as a potential issue.  My only extension was Clipper so I uninstalled.  Safari was back to perfect performance.  I reinstalled Clipper just in case there was a version issue.  It was back to hangs immediately.  

Clipper is the issue.  It is not being maintained to keep up with Apple updates.  Come on EN.  I am a long time (6 years) Premium user.  It turns out now that I am missing it that Clipper is a large part of my EN experience.  We had that issue at the beginning of the year when Phil had to get involved and bring focus back to the daily user and you did a great job upgrading older users with new servers, much improved syncing etc.  Please don't think its over.  Focus on user experience comes before extending into new markets.  We are in this for the 100 year experience remember.

We maintain the Safari Clipper very actively, version 6.1.3 was published last week. 

We don't encounter any of the issues mentioned in our testing at this point but we keep hearing sporadic reports about Safari not performing well when Clipper is installed so we are looking for the root cause.

That would be great if you get to the root cause. So frustrating ....  If I download the new version 6.1.3 will I lose all my notebooks and everything I clipped previously?

Can you tell me how to do it so I don't lose my current collection?  Thank you!

Downloading & installing the latest version of any Evernote client will not make you loose anything. For Safari I recommend you enable automatic updates for extensions in Safari - Preferences - Extensions.

Download the latest Clipper from www.evernote.com/webclipper using Safari will get you on 6.1.3 unless you already have it. 

Browncoat - I'm sorry but the Web Clipper just isn't working!

I'm reading through all of these posts and I see no real answer from Evernote personnel.  What gives?

I'm Running MacBook Pro OSX 10.9.3 / Safari Version 7.0.4 (9537.76.4)

Un-installed the Safari Extension - Shut Safari down - Started Safari back up - Re-installed Evernote Web Clipper Extension 6.1.3

No Joy!  The Evernote button is in the toolbar and I can click it, as much as I want, but it doesn't do anything - Nothing happens.  FireFox was working but I prefer Safari and I have a lot of material (in Safari) that I'm trying to get into Evernote.  I've had to email it to my Evernote account but that is a lame kludge.

Please get this resolved.

There seems to be some problem with EN Clipper and Macs in general  The same problem exists with Safari 5.1.10 and Snow Leopard which use an older version of Clipper. It started out of nowhere , became intermittent and then just stopped working.  There has been no fix from EN,. This has been going on for several months.  Clipper works fine with Chrome though!

@jbignert ... i have re-installed and will get back to the forum.  To be clear, since there are other confusing posts here, the issue was Safari delayed sites launching (old version is shadowed in background for a second before it launches) and followed by hanging (white screen and site never appears).  Since i had installed copper I had no issue for two weeks.  Now I will try again and see how it goes.  Again I am the one with the fresh macbook pro with zero other extensions.

Thank you for watching.

Colin

• 3 weeks later...

update on my comments about clipper and impact on web pages.  It turns out that adblock plus was running unbeknownst to me in my testing.  now that i run with only one extension running, i.e. EN web clipper, everything is normal again with super fast page loading.  My bad.

@boatguy

We are not in denial. I'm reporting what we see in our testing and that we cannot reproduce the problem with the info we had at hand.

We'll continue doing more testing with the additional info you provided about notebook selection. 

We deny being in denial. And that's that.

update on my comments about clipper and impact on web pages.  It turns out that adblock plus was running unbeknownst to me in my testing.  now that i run with only one extension running, i.e. EN web clipper, everything is normal again with super fast page loading.  My bad.

By no means is this a reflection upon any user, just want to state a point: This is one example of how difficult it is for Evernote to replicate issues users are having. If users don't understand what is running on their own computers that could, maybe, possibly affect Evernote, Web Clipper, etc, then we cannot expect Evernote to know. I can't blame users either, because not all of us know what TO mention what we have running that could possibly affect Evernote's products.

However, users must be aware our own apps could be part of any issue we encounter.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem.  My Evernote Web Clipper quit working.

I am using:  Mac: 10.9.4, Safari: 7.0.6, Evernote:   5.5.1

I've installed and uninstalled and re-installed the web clipper and nothing works.  It's very frustrating because I use it a lot.

• 1 month later...

Same problem. Ever time I try to use Web Clipper in any way I get: Cannot Save- veiw crash report.

I have 

• Mac IOS 10.9.5  
  • Chrome 37.0.2062.124
  • Evernote 5.5.1

I'm in love with the idea of Evernote's Web Clipper but I just can not get it to work.

I'm not the most tech savy so don't be afraid to talk to me like a dummy. 

The only way to fix it is to install Chrome. I removed Chrome today and ever clip stopped working. Once I installed it, it started working again. The "we cannot reproduce the problem" reply form EN is boring. Here's a simple way to reproduce the problem: remove Chrome. It's been mentioned not one but twice on these forums. 

I am having issues with Evernote Web Clipper as well. Some details that I hope might help:

1. I am running a current MacBook Pro, OS-X 10.9.5 (Mavericks), Safari 7.1, Evernote Web Clipper 6.1.

2. Last night, I ran the installer for OS-X Security Update 2014-005. Evernote Web Clipper stopped functioning on Safari after that.

3. Evernote Web Clipper does not work on the current versions of Mozilla Firefox as well as Google Chrome.

4. Recently, I have encountered a number of failed attempts to clip, and have had to attempt to clip several times before the clip was successful. This was before I ran the latest Apple OS-X Security update.

5. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall Evernote Web Clipper 6.1 after discovering it does not function.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thank you.

UPDATE: On Safari 7.1, I disabled the AdBlock extension after reading the posting from Sentinel above (thank you!). As soon as I disabled AdBlock, Evernote Web Clipper for Safari was functional again (yay!). I then re-enabled AdBlock, tested Evernote Web Clipper in Safari (OS-X Mavericks) Version 7.1 and am happy to report I am successful in clipping with Evernote Web Clipper and Safari on my Mac. 

UPDATE 2: After doing item #1 above, and disabling/re-enabling Evernote Web Clipper, I am happy to report that it now works correctly in the latest versions of Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome on my Mac. I should note that performance of Evernote Web Clipper on Firefox is choppy, and only allows me to clip full pages, not articles. But it's better than nothing. The Chrome version now works exactly like the Safari version. I am officially a happy camper - Evernote Web Clipper is a really important tool for me.

Thank you, Sentinel! Thanks, Evernote!

• 1 month later...

I have followed all the comments on the post and I’m still non the wiser on how I get my clipper working again.

The only extension I have downloaded is the clipper service which now doesn’t work (As mentioned above, it does bizarrely work on this page!)

I’m currently running a Macbook Pro. I have uninstalled and re installed the clipper and Evernote and I’m on Safari 7.0.6

Any suggestions?

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well I'll be damned!

It's true, I'm using Blur to block pixels and trackers in Safari, and also can't make work web clipper. But as soon I disabled it it began working again.

But to be honest, even though I love web clipper, I love more my privacy.

• 1 year later...
On 4/27/2016 at 6:32 PM, Morry.Koperwas said:

I am using a xp windows computer and clipper shows on the top panel however when I try to save the email nothing happens.  Any idea as to reason?

Thank you

Not sure. I suggest to contact support. Thanks.

• 4 months later...

Cheers everyone, just wanted to say that I too solved my clipper problem by logging out from the app and in again (before this it showed the text "clipping" forever..). When I think about it I think I changed the password some time ago and the clipper does not seem to have got this until I logged out and in (Android + Evernote latest version). 

• 2 months later...

Currently using Safari Web Clipper and it has stopped working correctly when I attempt to clip a PDF (such as a Utility Bill). It will clip the PDF but the note is empty when I open the EN program/app. I've logged out of everything and logged back in and zero change. I've even attempted to clip it into a notebook other than my default notebook. No luck. :( 

Clipping articles does indeed work, however. 

Mac OS 10.11.6
Safari 10.0
Web Clipper version 6.9.4

Any ideas?

I've used Clipper a lot in the past for research, but now mine has stopped working too. It has been a bit iffy for a while now, but stopped working completely and I have the feeling it was when Safari last updated. Prior to that I had to highlight the bit I wanted to clip, then right click and choose "save highlight to Evernote". Now I right click, choose "save highlight to Evernote" and ... absolutely nothing. No drop down box and no clip saved. Zilch. I'm on Yosemite still (that's another story).

• 10 months later...

Evernote Web Clipper stopped working for me tonight with Apple Safari. I deleted and reinstalled Evernote Web Clipper and am still having problems. I am using the following:

2014 MacBook Pro

macOS 10.12.6 Sierra

Safari 11.0

Note: Evernote Web Clipper does continue to work with Google Chrome — Version 61.0.3163.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks.

Brian

My Evernote Web Clipper stopped working on my Safari browser. 

Same as Brian, I deleted and reinstalled it several times, restarted browser, logged out and back in as well as rebooted my computer but still the same problem. 

My details: 

• MacBook Air 2015
  • MacOS 10.13 (High Sierra)
  • Safari 11
  • Evernote Web Clipper 6.12.4

Anyone who has a solution to this problem? Thanks.

Web clipper is not working for me either. Tried signing out and then back into Evernote and even Safari. It seems to be opening a tab which I think says that Evernote is successful but closes it so fast I can't really read all it says. And no new note is added to Evernote.

I even uninstalled and then reinstalled the web clipper, then even updated it to 6.12.4 but still have that troublesome dot on the bottom left of the icon which has indicated previously that it isn't working, and it isn't. Luckily Chrome is working.

13 hours ago, Tidewind said:

Evernote Web Clipper stopped working for me tonight with Apple Safari. I deleted and reinstalled Evernote Web Clipper and am still having problems. I am using the following:

2014 MacBook Pro

macOS 10.12.6 Sierra

Safari 11.0

Note: Evernote Web Clipper does continue to work with Google Chrome — Version 61.0.3163.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks.

Brian

12 hours ago, kevmartian said:

My web clipper is also not working in Safari 11.0 on my MacBook as of tonight

11 hours ago, MonV said:

My Evernote Web Clipper stopped working on my Safari browser. 

Same as Brian, I deleted and reinstalled it several times, restarted browser, logged out and back in as well as rebooted my computer but still the same problem. 

My details: 

• MacBook Air 2015
  • MacOS 10.13 (High Sierra)
  • Safari 11
  • Evernote Web Clipper 6.12.4

Anyone who has a solution to this problem? Thanks.

11 hours ago, cbrandt said:

Web clipper is not working for me either. Tried signing out and then back into Evernote and even Safari. It seems to be opening a tab which I think says that Evernote is successful but closes it so fast I can't really read all it says. And no new note is added to Evernote.

I even uninstalled and then reinstalled the web clipper, then even updated it to 6.12.4 but still have that troublesome dot on the bottom left of the icon which has indicated previously that it isn't working, and it isn't. Luckily Chrome is working.

Hi all, sounds like you've run into an issue we identified recently. See my post in this thread for more information: 

Archived