Evernote for Windows 5.2.0 RC: a much better sync

Hi dlu,

This change happened for me on the Mac client about 2 days ago, and I'd very much like to be able to reproduce the old copy note link feature. Holding down control doesn't seem to have any effect on what copies and pastes. Thus, the only way I've figured out how to get back to the old style link is to:

1) Copy note link

2) Paste into a new note

3) Copy the link of that cross-reference

That's quite ugly, but those evernote:/// links are very helpful to link desktop programs to each other. I use a reference manager for my enormous PDF library, and one field contains the evernote:/// link to my notes on each article. I can then quickly hop back and forth between the reference manager and the relevant notes in my evernote desktop client, a very useful feature that I don't want to lose.

Thank you.

Cameron

In regards to notelinks, the Windows client is using new behavior and I'll clarify a bit more on it.

If you select "Copy Note Link" and paste back into Evernote, you should see no change in behavior. You should get the green note links with the note title as the anchor text

If you select "Copy Note Link" and paste anywhere else (such as into a browser address bar or notepad) you will see an https.... link. This link will behave better "out in the wild" outside of Evernote. Virtually every operating system knows how to deal with an https link (in case you don't have Evernote installed on that particular machine) and there is a way to add that note to your account or even request access to it if you don't have permission to view the note. Under the old system, users would run into various issues when pasting a note link outside of Evernote and we're trying to streamline that process.

In the Evernote for Windows client, if you select your note(s) and then hold down Ctrl then go up to the menu bar and select Notes >> Copy Note Links then you will always get old behavior.

Hi.

On OS X 10.9.2, using Evernote desktop 5.5.1, generating a note link via right-click produces an external link when pasted into the "edit note link" box (command K), but produces an internal link when pasted into an evernote note. Regardless of whether I'm hitting control or command when I select the "copy note link" option.

So the "edit note link" box defaults to "out in the wild", which I get the usefulness of, but I'd like the option to be able to paste the internal link into the edit link dialog, i.e., replace an existing internal link with another internal link. Being able to choose internal or external link type in the right-click menu could solve this, maybe?

Thanks,

Rob 

Hi.

On OS X 10.9.2, using Evernote desktop 5.5.1, generating a note link via right-click produces an external link when pasted into the "edit note link" box (command K), but produces an internal link when pasted into an evernote note. Regardless of whether I'm hitting control or command when I select the "copy note link" option.

So the "edit note link" box defaults to "out in the wild", which I get the usefulness of, but I'd like the option to be able to paste the internal link into the edit link dialog, i.e., replace an existing internal link with another internal link. Being able to choose internal or external link type in the right-click menu could solve this, maybe?

Thanks,

Rob 

If you hold down "opt", the menu item will change to "Copy Classic Note Link".

I always forget to do it. Major PITA.

Hi.

Thanks,

Rob 

If you hold down "opt", the menu item will change to "Copy Classic Note Link".

I always forget to do it. Major PITA.

Got it, thanks. It'd still be nice if there were multiple options in the right-click menu, but that's helpful.

I had no idea there was a timestamp shortcut until I just discovered it by accident (alt+shift+D). I didn't figure there would be one based on all the other wishlist-only stuff, it didn't occur to me to crawl the forums for one. Notetaking software + good documentation = happy forum. I thought I had seen all the keyboard shortcuts I'd ever use -  kicking myself now for missing that memo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqQ99s4Ywnw

:D

• 3 weeks later...

We're not considering the removal of the original functionality, heck we use it all the time internally at Evernote. But there are an overwhelming amount of Evernote users who don't understand what it does at all or why we even have two in the first place which is what prompted this new functionality

Hmmm... So Evernote staff knows what it is and how it works... but an overwhelming amount of Evernote users don't?

Sounds like some better instructional info is needed from your documentation / marketing department.

Oh be fair jbenson, you know that most users wouldn't (and don't) read that type of stuff anyways. Not that we shouldn't be doing a better job of it, but it isn't going to be the solution for the majority of users.

@diu

I disagree!  Many people starting new with an app will start with the Knowledge Base to learn features.  When I started using EN, Knowledge Base is where I was always directed with searches, not to mention your website directing users there as well.  I was and still am disappointed in the KB. If we spend time reading Forums to learn, then we surely will take the time to read Knowledge Base material on a particular issue we wish to learn.

Just because we are not EN employees does not make us any less capable of understanding two different types of links and how to employ them.  We employ them just as you do!  I honestly cannot believe an EN employee made that statement.  Interesting!

Despite where you may be in this world from the rest of us common folk, an updated KB would be greatly appreciated.  A good reason for a better KB is after I have converted someone to EN, and they come back to me with a question and the issue is not mentioned in the KB, it is a bit embarrassing.  The new user is wondering why he listened to me in the first place if the KB is not INFORMATIVE!  I am being patient about the KB improvement but trying to stay cool particularly about the comment.  However, I will not be judgmental because you are diligently answering the Forum.

• Level 5

I had no idea there was a timestamp shortcut until I just discovered it by accident (alt+shift+D). I didn't figure there would be one based on all the other wishlist-only stuff, it didn't occur to me to crawl the forums for one. Notetaking software + good documentation = happy forum. I thought I had seen all the keyboard shortcuts I'd ever use -  kicking myself now for missing that memo!

You're sort of making DLU's point I guess. But it's useful to browse through: https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/product/evernote

In this case: "What are the keyboard shortcuts In Evernote for Windows"

https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23168552

"Can I add Date and Time Stamps TO My Notes In Evernote"

https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23176572

That's a good base link to have bookmarked.. I've looked up specific keyboard shortcuts in the past, but never thought to search for that one. I've always appreciated the wide variety of them, but only memorized a handful. I even have a full list clipped from a different source and still managed to miss it (didn't think to look for it). This list is formatted much nicer than the one I have though, thanks (I'll replace my old one).

If I thought about it, I guess it's one of those things that I conditioned myself to think in the back of my head: 

"it probably isn't a feature since they already have creation/modified dates and the overall tone around these parts is keeping low priority options and extras to a minimum - if they had something that commonplace I'd probably see it in a dropdown toolbar menu or context menu". 

It's nice to find that they do have the feature, I just happened to stumble into it.  I probably would've looked it up at some point down the road when I wasn't focusing on anything in particular, but it's a mixture of past experiences on search results for tiny extras/hidden options that don't exist more often than not, and the low priority of perks like this one which is where my motivation (or lack thereof) was here.  Despite my need for it not being a priority of mine, it's a happy bonus, and when I get in the habit I'll be using it as often as the more important features! :)

Thanks again for the links, and thanks to DLU for all of the feedback on these types of threads. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 2/24/2014 at 5:05 PM, dlu said:

In the Evernote for Windows client, if you select your note(s) and then hold down Ctrl then go up to the menu bar and select Notes >> Copy Note Links then you will always get old behavior.

I know it was posted a long time ago but this little hint is a life saver for me. Thank you so much!

Archived