Memory Question

I have an Apple Mini iPad Retina OS7.03 . I would like to know if there is a suggestion as to how much memory one should have to use Evernote successfully. I have been sitting at 10.5 for quite awhile. I don't use my iPad for music or pics. I have a feeling it isn't enough. I don't use it for business, mostly for hobbies. Any help would be appreciated. Dorothy

• Level 5*

Hi - welcome to the forums.

You can test whether the app itself will run by downloading it.  The database would be the biggest memory hog,  but that's not downloaded to a mobile device;  if you search for a note,  you'll just download that individual note so you can see it - download another and if need be Evernote will dump the first to make room for the second.  It is possible to set a notebook as available offline,  which downloads all the notes in that notebook.  If you have a big database,  just designate a new notebook for offline searches and only put essential notes into that.

If it all goes sadly wrong,  uninstall Evernote or buy Android!  ;)

• Level 5*

-The jury's still out on whether Android has more available memory.  You can plug up to an additional 64GB SD card in a Samsung mobile forinstance,  but Lifehacker says access to that memory might be blocked for anything but reading audio or video content.  

My understanding, based on JB's reporting on this forum, is that Evernote can only access the internal memory. This means that the external memory (if he is correct) is irrelevant. In this respect, iOS and Android are the same. 

• Level 5*

My current understanding is that Android went from initially allowing no access to external memory,  to providing access in Android 4.x essentially because of an alleged outcry in Germany about the original restriction.  If the ban was relaxed,  this latest piece from Lifehacker now suggests the pendulum has swung the other way (again) and later versions of Android from 4.4/5 will reimpose the internal storage limit.  All the stories I've read also say that the OS limit can be avoided by 1) rooting the phone;  2) some phone manufacturers if they choose to do so;  and 3) some app developers.

The net result:  total confusion.  I'm sticking with a subset of my total database in a 'mobile only' offline searchable notebook until Samsung or Evernote say different...

Archived