Bullet points stopped working recently after pasting

Recently bullet points stopped working for me in my usual workflow.

I often copy and paste text and links from other sources into bullet lists.

So before I could start a bullet list, paste a link, hit enter, the next bullet point appears.

Now, whenever I paste in a bullet point and hit enter, then I just get a blank space and bulleting is then completely broken. even without pasting, I can't create a new bullet item unless previous ones exist.

I've tried various things to attempt to fix up the list but it remains broken.

I saw the Windows thread on bullet points which indicates this feature has a history of problems.

The only workaround I have is to create a template list with a bunch of entries as in

* x

* x

* x

* x

In this case I can replace an "x" by pasting the link and then use the next "x". But this is a PITA when for instance I want an new bullet item between two I've already pasted into as in:

* x

* x

* I already pasted here

* And here

* x

* x

Now I'm screwed again. Unless I use the existing x's to create new one's and re-copy and paste those items leaving an entry between for the new item I want to paste.

This is not acceptable workflow.

Is this a known issue? Is there any known work around/fix for this issue?

• Level 5*

If I copy and paste from html into a bullet point I get the same result.  There may be some sort of conflict in coding that prevents bullets from continuing.  If I "paste as text" however,  each line of a pasted paragraph comes up as an individual bullets and Enter starts a new one.  (I appreciate this doesn't help if you're trying to paste a link)  NB I'm on the latest Beta,  so YMMMV.

Not sure whether this is a change from previous behaviour,  but it seems to be a feature rather than a bug.  Best suggestion would be - if you're pasting lots of links,  paste 'em as normal paragraphs,  then highlight the list and bullet them in one go.

You might also want to feedback to Support (see below) that you would like this behaviour changed...

So I checked my Evernote preferences to ensure that "Simplify formatting of pasted content" was still enabled, thinking maybe it became disabled on updating. It was checked.

Then I tried pasting something, and sure enough, bullet point busted as described above. I selected the pasted text, chose "Format/Simplify Formatting" from the menu, then tried to hit return and viola no problem.

So it would seem to be that Preferences/"Simplify formatting of pasted content" is broken, since this used to work for me without having to re-format/simplify formatting after pasting.

• Level 5*

There will have been a few Evernote version changes between working and not working,  so its possible someone left out an essential dot or comma somewhere.  If you haven't already done so,  raise the support ticket and see what the team say..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

Thanks for posting. I'd like to understand your exact issue since we're actively working on improving our bulleted list functionality. What I'm gathering is you're pasting multi-line content from outside sources into Evernote while the cursor is in a bulleted list. Then, the pasted result is not what you expected. Is that correct?

I provided a lengthy description above.

But to your comments. No, it does not have to be multi-line. Anything from 1 character to multi-line paste exhibits this issue (any pasting).

And yes, the basic reproduction is:

Start a bullet list.

Create a new bullet.

With the cursor at the new bullet, paste anything from one letter, to multi-line text), press the "Enter" key.

Expected results: a new bullet item appears at the same level as the previous one where you started before the paste.

Actual results: http://screencast.com/t/Rs3zUs52E The cursor appears below the pasted content without a new bullet item

The workaround behavior: http://screencast.com/t/IScQ1rwseu

Get an older build and see how it behaves.

Also, wrt versions, Evernote says it is up-to-date @5.5.1(402628 Direct), I was on OSX 10.8.5, but happened to update to Mavericks yesterday OSX 10.9, and the issue still occurs as reported.

It would/might be nice if you allowed download of previous versions, especially when releasing such a basic annoying bug.

FYI this was reported as bug: Ticket# 361991 - Preferences/Simplify formatting is broken‏

Which surprisingly was marked as Solved on Feb 21.

• Level 5

Side note: we are currently working on serious improvements to the note editor. Focus areas will be bullets, checkboxes and tables.

Wow! Evernoted.

These improvements will make the forum a lonely place. ;)

• Level 5

Quote me!

Also, in response to the original issue. If you create a new note, start bulleting, and copy/paste within that note, you should be fine. If you paste in content from elsewhere, we don't attempt to normalize the pasted content unless you "Paste and Match Style" from the Edit menu. Not matching the style can easily cause broken bullets. 

• 2 years later...

Archived