O2 ads a disgrace

I am a premium account holder and I'm getting plagued by ads from O2 being plastered all over my screen when I start up EN. They're a disgraceful abuse of my account given that I pay for it. I wrote to EN support who were brilliant enough to explain what the advert said over again as if I couldn't have understood it the first time round or every other time I have to put up with the thing.

Anway as support were totally useless I decided the only thing I could do was to accept the offer to get rid of the ad. Well guess what? After being passed through some screens I got a message that it seemed the offer had expired.

Brilliant. So this worthless ad is going to be pestering me for the duration of my stay with EN and I'm paying this dreadful company for the privilege.

This is an absolute disgrace. When are these people going to wake up to the fact that abusing your customers is one way to ensure they don't come back?

I am a premium account holder and I'm getting plagued by ads from O2 being plastered all over my screen when I start up EN. They're a disgraceful abuse of my account given that I pay for it. I wrote to EN support who were brilliant enough to explain what the advert said over again as if I couldn't have understood it the first time round or every other time I have to put up with the thing.

Anway as support were totally useless I decided the only thing I could do was to accept the offer to get rid of the ad. Well guess what? After being passed through some screens I got a message that it seemed the offer had expired.

Brilliant. So this worthless ad is going to be pestering me for the duration of my stay with EN and I'm paying this dreadful company for the privilege.

This is an absolute disgrace. When are these people going to wake up to the fact that abusing your customers is one way to ensure they don't come back?

When I read this it sounded more like "Me Angry.... Me post in forum and let people know me angry. Me make point and hammer desk with fist while me type, then people know me angry!!!!!"

If I were any of these kind people that tried to help with your problem, I would have passed your post right on by..... You people need to stop pontificating in the forum and just ask questions and wait for help. Your post is full of meaningless insults and company bashing that is completely ridiculous. Does it make you feel good that when I read this I laughed....

I'd also request a bit more info:  Are you on O2, and what platform are you on?  (IOS/Android?)

Feel free to PM or open a support ticket for this.  Thanks for the additional thread link BNF!

Hi gbarry. Thanks for the offer but I've spoken to EN support on two occasions about this. I've sent screenshots and explained it to them twice. All they did was explain the ad to me as if I couldn't understand it. As I said above they simply said it was an offer and did not give me any solution. I was surprised they didn't know O2 and EN were in some sort of deal about this.

I'm on O2 but the ads only come up in EN and on Apple IOS. Having already opened two support tickets I don't really feel there's much more to be done. EN have decided to inflict these ads on paid up users which is disgraceful. What rubs salt in the wound is that the offers aren't even accepted when I tried to follow it up just to be rid of the thing.

cdissler. What a pointless post. I won't waste any more time on it. 

Burgern'Fries. Thanks for the link. Seems to be a problem EN have brought on us deliberately. I note from the linked post our good friend cdissier has a bee in his bonnet about this issue. Is there an ignore button on this site?

chirmer. Sadly there isn't a button to help and two goes at getting EN to solve it bore no fruit so seems no point in trying them and so I will continue to raise it as an annoyance on this forum and others. 

• Level 5*

cdissler. What a pointless post. I won't waste any more time on it. 

Burgern'Fries. Thanks for the link. Seems to be a problem EN have brought on us deliberately. I note from the linked post our good friend cdissier has a bee in his bonnet about this issue. Is there an ignore button on this site?

chirmer. Sadly there isn't a button to help and two goes at getting EN to solve it bore no fruit so seems no point in trying them and so I will continue to raise it as an annoyance on this forum and others.

There is an ignore button. Click your username -> Manage Ignore Prefs.

As for the ads, I am sure that they are listening, but I imagine the process of deciding to put the ads there was a long one and probably part of an agreement of some sort (you usually don't let other companies advertise in your space for no reason). If there is a "fix," you may have to be patient before seeing it. I agree, by the way, that this advertising (assuming it is still impossible to move, hide, or escape) is a terrible idea for paid or premium users. In fact, I would be against any advertising at all that we cannot toggle off somehow. I understand that Evernote needs to consider various methods of monetizing the service, but I think in the end this will cause ill will, and I wonder if it is worth the cost.

Hi GrumpyMonkey.

Thank you. Ignore activated now.

I do hope they are listening and I do appreciate the points you make about their decision-making. I could understand if the free version had ads but not when you've paid. Maybe EN think this particular ad shows a benefit for users and maybe to many it does, but as you also say, it would be fine if you could turn it off.

I know I've been having a bit of a rant, but I find it frustrating and a shame that this company which has produced what is basically a really great and useful app is lessening the user experience in this way. 

• Level 5*

Hi GrumpyMonkey. I do hope they are listening and I do appreciate the points you make about their decision-making. I could understand if the free version had ads but not when you've paid. Maybe EN think this particular ad shows a benefit for users and maybe to many it does, but as you also say, it would be fine if you could turn it off.

I know I've been having a bit of a rant, but I find it frustrating and a shame that this company which has produced what is basically a really great and useful app is lessening the user experience in this way.

This forum is here for users like you to express yourself! No worries. We all need to blow off steam once in a while. As regular visitors to the forums probably know, I am pretty outspoken about having my interface hijacked without my permission (popup informational thingies are usually the target of my disapprobation), so I sympathize with your situation! Personally, I think even free users shouldn't have an ad placed in such an important place on the interface, and I am even someone who requested to have ads put back into the app (in the case of the Mac)! The caveat being that they would be in the bottom left hand corner (the least valuable real-estate) and toggle-able for Premium users.

As I've posted on another thread, it's not just O2 users who get spammed with this in EN. 

If your carrier is giffgaff, you also get the O2 ads. I presume that this is because EN cannot distinguish between the primary carrier (O2) and another carrier who piggybacks on the O2 network (which is what giffgaff does).

To compound the problem, I cannot then do anything with the offers as I'm not an O2 user.

Thanks GreedyMonkey for your support. If EN had responded to my issue in a different way I'd not have posted the way I did but ....

Anyway, maybe with a number of people complaining, things will change. 

Imagenomad that's not good. I'm sort of similar because I just get a message saying "the offer has expired" when I try to action it. A bit of a shambles really.

Thanks GreedyMonkey for your support. If EN had responded to my issue in a different way I'd not have posted the way I did but ....

Imagenomad that's not good. I'm sort of similar because I just get a message saying "the offer has expired" when I try to action it. A bit of a shambles really.

AFAIK, GRUMPYmonkey is not greedy...

• Level 5*

AFAIK, GRUMPYmonkey is not greedy...

I'm not sure if I am or not, but the oracle bones Chinese character (jiaguwen 甲骨文) shown as my avatar is a large monkey greedily stuffing his face!

Sorry no offence intended. I hope I haven't made you too grumpy :)

In any case I am grateful for the help. I also just got a free year extension to my EN Premium account because of the O2 deal. EN support fixed it for me so I'm pleased about that. The ads have also disappeared so all good. If the initial couple of contacts with EN had been as helpful then I wouldn't have felt the need to post as I did.

Anyway, all sorted now :)

• Level 5*

Sorry no offence intended. I hope I haven't made you too grumpy :)

In any case I am grateful for the help. I also just got a free year extension to my EN Premium account because of the O2 deal. EN support fixed it for me so I'm pleased about that. The ads have also disappeared so all good. If the initial couple of contacts with EN had been as helpful then I wouldn't have felt the need to post as I did.

Anyway, all sorted now :)

No offence taken! Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

Actually I just found out it didn't get sorted out. I did get the additional year with the 120 points but I updated to the new version of EN on my iPhone and it's there again. Not quite as dominating as in previous encounters but still at the very top of  my menu list whenever I start EN. I did the usual and applied for the points only to be told that I had already redeemed the offer but the damnable advert remains.

I contacted EN support and got one of their insulting emails; obviously a generic one they send when they can't or can't be bothered to answer the question asked. It asked me to go through a process trying to reproduce the issue and mail it. Well it is right there on the menu and if they can't take the time to look at their own app interface there's little point in contacting them. 

I get the impression their support is totally disorganised. I have had repeat mails about the same issue all saying different things and the only one that helped was the one that sorted out my points as above. I am still receiving mails from them about that issue even though it was resolved at the time.

Pretty dire stuff!

Willie45. It's sometimes hard to discern tone in text but savvy customer service reps are supposed to be genius at it (check out Springpad), they're brilliant at it.

More often than not I've had the same feeling following support responses.

I'm happy to see Evernote is revisiting it's core functionality right now....but their function in most dire need of an overhaul is there user relations.

Might take an elite tech reviewer to get them to see it though.

Actually I just found out it didn't get sorted out. I did get the additional year with the 120 points but I updated to the new version of EN on my iPhone and it's there again. Not quite as dominating as in previous encounters but still at the very top of  my menu list whenever I start EN. I did the usual and applied for the points only to be told that I had already redeemed the offer but the damnable advert remains.

Thanks for the continued replies all.  We're actively looking into this and have an open bug with each of these issues recorded.  From the sound of it we're looking at a few different O2 related issues.  Namely:

• Users who are operating on the O2 network but are not O2 customers are seeing the ad and are unable to remove it.
  • Users who are O2 customers who redeem to remove the ad, then upgrade their Evernote IOS client, still retain the ad and are unable to re-redeem to remove it.

The final issue is more generally ad based feedback, in that users who are paying for Premium wish to see no ads whatsoever, whether or not they are on O2.

We have a fix on the way for this--in 7.3.1 (the next submitted version) you'll have the ability to reorder / remove this module from the home screen.

We're working with O2 to see if there is anything we can do to detect the differences in sub-carriers.  Thanks!

Well gbarry I just upgraded to the latest version today, which is 7.3.1 hoping that the ad would be gone.

Not really. I still get a tab right at the top of my welcome screen saying "Activate Premium". I thought I'd give it a go and tried once more to activate it which involved getting a code from O2 and then entering it into a form. I then got a message saying that as I was already on Premium I could use the code to get points to use to increase upload ability or other things. I gave it a go and then got a message saying something along the lines of "it seems this offer has already been used, please contact support"

As you can imagine I don't really want to speak to EN support and get one of their insulting generic mails asking for screenshots and then getting a whole load of other mail, none of which addresses the issue, so it looks like in the meantime I'm stuck with it. I cannot understand why this should be difficult for EN to resolve.

If there's a way for me to remove this "Activate Premium" tab please can you tell me how to do it?

The expected fix in 7.3.1 for O2 network users should come in the form of a reorder/remove option.  Go to your settings (the gear, top left) hit customize home screen and there should be an option there to reorder or remove the module.  I'm not on O2 or an O2 network so I have no direct way of double checking, but this should have been available in this version. If it didn't make the cut I'll go double check with the team.

It's likely that the option change isn't automatic, and you need to drop into these options first to remove the upgrade notice.

• 2 weeks later...

My mistake. The ad has now popped up filling the whole screen and back to being more irritating than previously.

Evernote you really are a joke.

If you can't even manage this simple thing it's beyond me how you can manage a company. Not only is ever single person on your support team that I've dealt with surprised by the pop up exists, asking me the same old questions as if they've need heard of it and going through the same time wasting screen shots time after time, but even when it gets escalated and you say you are now aware of what is happening on your app and that you're sorting it out, you've failed to do so.

What a lousy way to treat customers.

It makes me feel stupid that I was so grateful that you stopped harassing me with your annoying ads. How ridiculous. I really regret paying for your app. I should have stuck with the free version. At least then I'd have known I was the product not the customer.

It's mind boggling how they can be so inept. In my relatively short time with EN, I've been really pleased with the app, so much so that I upgraded to premium soon after signing up. It seemed like exactly what i was looking for. Now I see their total inability to communicate with customers meaningfully and their absolutely ridiculous support team has completely swung my opinion of them around. I just don't get how they can be so disdainful of their customers. They really are taking the proverbial here. What a shower. 

I suppose they are mainly concerned with getting advertisers money and not their app users, perhaps most of whom are free, and this is the root of the problem here. 

For me, though, the biggest issue is that after the way they've ignored purchasers over this and the way they've been so unconcerned about the customer experience, I wouldn't trust them to hold my data and any important messages safe. This is pretty serious because they only exist to manage our information safely. There's no point in having a company handle your information who are so utterly disinterested and/or incompetent. I like the app and the way it words re messages but I don't trust them, I won't ever trust them, and I will not be giving them any responsibility for anything important to me in the future.

I will probably use the app for a bit until I find a decent company who does something similar but certainly not for important stuff. They can keep the odd recipe or piece of internet trivia but that's it! I'm really annoyed I paid them a penny though.

Anyway, I'm giving up on this now because this lot aren't worth talking to. Good luck and thanks to everyone on here who's been supportive and nice and listened to me. I thank you all and wish you well  :)

• Level 5*

It's mind boggling how they can be so inept. In my relatively short time with EN, I've been really pleased with the app, so much so that I upgraded to premium soon after signing up. It seemed like exactly what i was looking for. Now I see their total inability to communicate with customers meaningfully and their absolutely ridiculous support team has completely swung my opinion of them around. I just don't get how they can be so disdainful of their customers. They really are taking the proverbial here. What a shower. 

I suppose they are mainly concerned with getting advertisers money and not their app users, perhaps most of whom are free, and this is the root of the problem here. 

For me, though, the biggest issue is that after the way they've ignored purchasers over this and the way they've been so unconcerned about the customer experience, I wouldn't trust them to hold my data and any important messages safe. This is pretty serious because they only exist to manage our information safely. There's no point in having a company handle your information who are so utterly disinterested and/or incompetent. I like the app and the way it words re messages but I don't trust them, I won't ever trust them, and I will not be giving them any responsibility for anything important to me in the future.

I will probably use the app for a bit until I find a decent company who does something similar but certainly not for important stuff. They can keep the odd recipe or piece of internet trivia but that's it! I'm really annoyed I paid them a penny though.

Anyway, I'm giving up on this now because this lot aren't worth talking to. Good luck and thanks to everyone on here who's been supportive and nice and listened to me. I thank you all and wish you well  :)

Hi. I'll flag this for Evernote staff. Hopefully, they can figure out what is happening. 

I'd also stress that this is not a security issue. It is not a privacy issue. It is an ad issue. It has to do with one particular tie-up with a carrier. This is new territory, and clearly Evernote has some work to do in making sure this works better. However, I think everyone would agree that carriers bring all kinds of headaches (no matter the country) and a lot of this is probably more complicated than it looks on the surface, because it involves more than just Evernote. My point is that we ought to hold Evernote accountable for getting this tie-up taken care of (as you are), but I don't think it is accurate to suggest that the entire service is a problem, certainly not in terms of security or the integrity of your data.

Fair enough, and at the moment there's no indication that there's a security problem. However, they have consistently shown that they don't know what's going on about this issue and they're giving a good impression of a company in disarray.

If they had said something like:

" Thanks for your comments. We're aware some customers are having these issues and we're trying to resolve this with our commercial partners Please bear with us while we manage this situation. We will keep you up to date with what's going on. Meantime we have instructed our support staff on how to respond to customer contact about this issue. We do apologise for any inconvenience caused while we sort this out

That would have been fine. But that's not what they've done. They've said it's fixed and it isn't and their support don't seem to understand what's going on despite this problem being raised on here several times. Communication from their support people has been a farce. I've had so many emails from them one after the other. These mails all saying different things First asking for a screenshot. Then explaining the ad to me! Then saying the problem is resolved. Then saying they apologise I'm having issues and once again asking me to send a screenshot and on and on.

All this doesn't make me feel secure about their abilities. The problem is that I don't trust them to sort things when there's an issue and I don't trust them to have a handle on how their app is performing for many customers. I don't have confidence in them so I can't trust them with my data or security. Given their poor performance and the ability of their support staff to address an issue, I can't feel confident about any aspect of their organisation or communications or their ability to solve issues that arise.

I do appreciate your reply and your raising this and I thank you for it,  but I really have run out of goodwill with EN.

• Level 5*

I agree that support (based on your explanation of what has happened) needs to coordinate better internally and with the developers. I thinks there is plenty of stuff at Evernote to foster goodwill (http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/52563-o2-ads-a-disgrace/?p=263179), and I would recommend that you don't conflate support with the entire organization. However, as fans of Zappos would say, excellent customer support can pay off for a company's image, so your reaction to unsatisfactory support is probably not uncommon. If you do have any more interactions with support, I'd plainly state that you are receiving mixed messages and you want this escalated (this goes for any organization).

• Level 5*

Is it possible the carrier's got a bit heavier of a hand in this than one might realize? I'm in the US so I am nowhere near O2, but our carriers can really embed themselves into apps once a deal has been made. Is it possible it's not entirely on Evernote in this? It seems odd they said they updated this but it's come back... to me that screams pushy carrier, but since I can't see it nor know the details of the arrangement, I really don't know. It's unfortunate it's happening, though :( I know I'd be frustrated too!

Is it possible the carrier's got a bit heavier of a hand in this than one might realize? I'm in the US so I am nowhere near O2, but our carriers can really embed themselves into apps once a deal has been made. Is it possible it's not entirely on Evernote in this? It seems odd they said they updated this but it's come back... to me that screams pushy carrier, but since I can't see it nor know the details of the arrangement, I really don't know. It's unfortunate it's happening, though :( I know I'd be frustrated too!

I'm not even on O2 and I get the O2 nag screen of doom. The grievance is then compounded by the fact that if I give in to the nagging, I can't do anything anyway *because I'm not with O2*. So then I get nagged again.

Whatever vicarious liability each party has is moot. It's annoying and it's wrong. If it's causing problems, EN should just comment out whichever bit of crappy code it is that allows O2 to permeate my non-O2 phone until it's fixed. And if someone says, "No thanks", the nagging should stop whether you're an O2 customer or not.

A company that I have no contract or dealings with has inveigled itself into a password-protected app on my password-protected phone without my consent, and obviously with the encouragement of EN. Security and privacy fail.

Quick question--is the previous option (the fix) still available? IOW, check the reorder / remove options provided in the previous version and see if they reverted. It's possible that upgrading Evernote simply reset that particular option and the ad can be removed again. If it's reset, that's something we need to look into making permanent, or moving on a "no thanks" option.

As a general aside, I want to be clear that these ads aren't ads in the traditional sense, which is probably what some of the support responses were attempting to clarify. Evernote has a varying number of carrier deals that, if you are a member of a particular carrier, enable you to try/access Evernote Premium for X amount of time, usually up to a year. The intent of the deal is to provide free Premium to users on particular carriers, and to give those users powerful new options with the partnership, not to deliver ads concerning those carriers to users not presently on the carrier.

More info on the O2 deal in particular can be found here: http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2013/10/25/evernote-partners-with-uk-mobile-carrier-o2/

Quick question--is the previous option (the fix) still available? IOW, check the reorder / remove options provided in the previous version and see if they reverted. It's possible that upgrading Evernote simply reset that particular option and the ad can be removed again. If it's reset, that's something we need to look into making permanent, or moving on a "no thanks" option.

As a general aside, I want to be clear that these ads aren't ads in the traditional sense, which is probably what some of the support responses were attempting to clarify. Evernote has a varying number of carrier deals that, if you are a member of a particular carrier, enable you to try/access Evernote Premium for X amount of time, usually up to a year. The intent of the deal is to provide free Premium to users on particular carriers, and to give those users powerful new options with the partnership, not to deliver ads concerning those carriers to users not presently on the carrier.

More info on the O2 deal in particular can be found here: http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2013/10/25/evernote-partners-with-uk-mobile-carrier-o2/

The option had reverted in Settings, yes.

Some more info for you - I logged out of my account on my phone and then logged back in again and the O2 nag screen reappears and the "Activate Premium" option reappears on my Homescreen. 

And if I logout and then properly close EN on my iPhone, when I log back in to EN again all of my settings don't register - my Homescreen reverts to the default including changing the theme colour/color of my screen back to green even though "Light" is chosen as the theme in Settings. Ditto for what boxes appear (including the Activate Premium O2 option). I need to reset my Settings by tapping each option to restore my Homescreen to how I want it.

As long as I don't logout on my phone, things seem stable. If I logout and login again, my Settings go to pot.

Hope this helps.

Some more info for you - I logged out of my account on my phone and then logged back in again and the O2 nag screen reappears and the "Activate Premium" option reappears on my Homescreen. 

And if I logout and then properly close EN on my iPhone, when I log back in to EN again all of my settings don't register - my Homescreen reverts to the default including changing the theme colour/color of my screen back to green even though "Light" is chosen as the theme in Settings. Ditto for what boxes appear (including the Activate Premium O2 option). I need to reset my Settings by tapping each option to restore my Homescreen to how I want it.

As long as I don't logout on my phone, things seem stable. If I logout and login again, my Settings go to pot.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the additional info--definitely helps--I've appended this additional info to the bug and we'll see if we can't get to the bottom of it. May be that the new version introduced a bug that rolls back home screen settings.  I'm on it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the additional info--definitely helps--I've appended this additional info to the bug and we'll see if we can't get to the bottom of it. May be that the new version introduced a bug that rolls back home screen settings.  I'm on it.

Top banana.

Well I've logged in and out and the settings stayed the same as I left them?  I don't know what's happening but I haven't seen the O2 ad again since 8th March. Hmm. I'm really hoping it's gone but how can I be sure?

Ideally I'd ask the support department but they won't know so I'll keep an eye on this forum and hope for the best

If the settings are reversing, it's more likely due to updating the app and not a log in/out, but good to know. At any rate, I've updated the bug and we've got someone looking at it.

Well so far, the ads haven't returned, but when it did come it was a real big full screen one not like the one you can stop from appearing on the home page by adjusting  settings. It was like the one I had to start with.

I do hope it's gone and if it's just a case of it happening with the new install and it won't come back then that would obviously a good thing. i will just have to wait and hope it's gone. 

We have a fix on the way for this--in 7.3.1 (the next submitted version) you'll have the ability to reorder / remove this module from the home screen.

We're working with O2 to see if there is anything we can do to detect the differences in sub-carriers.  Thanks!

I think EN also has to pay attention to the fact that the O2 cr4p is appearing on non-O2 customers' phones.

Imagenomad - I think they are paying attention. gberry's post quoted here suggests that very thing. Whether this is an easy fix or not, and how long such a fix will take to implement (especially given that there are already some hiccups with actual O2 customers let alone customers on sub-carriers), is not necessarily easily known. It sounds like there are a number of different parties and technologies involved that make tracing and fixing the issue(s) less straightforward. 

I know that it must be frustrating to get persistent offers/ads you can't act on and which cannot be hidden as a paying customer (if they are understood as ads), but from what it sounds like Evernote agrees and is trying to fix it, INCLUDING the problem with sub-carrier customers seeing this offer. This latter issue rather clearly seems like the more difficult issue of the two to track down and fix. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that, apart from when I initially upgraded, I haven't experienced this issue again. I'm not sure why but so far I'm cautiously optimistic that, in cases such as mine at least, the thing has been sorted. 

It sounds like this agreement with O2 has been badly implemented by EN and their support has not exactly covered them in glory in dealing with it. I do hope they are addressing it for others. I have to say that here in the UK O2 are not known for stellar customer support either so who knows what the reason is.

The app is a great product but it seems to met that it is being let down by poor support and an apparently haphazard response to customer issues. I know that support isn't the total company but when you buy something be it a car, a guitar, a camera, or an app, you need to know the manufacturer is there for you if things go wrong. It's pretty much impossible to separate it from the product IMHO and EN should do better in this regard.

• 2 months later...

I'm on giffgaff and get this popup in the ios app - and most annoyingly it pops up with enough delay that you can start to initiate a search request in the EN app, then the O2 add pops up and it then blocks you from using the app as the keyboard disappears. GRRRRRRR

You have to terminate the EN app, and then relaunch it  - you then don't get the add, and can then repeat the search you were already half way through trying.

This doesn't tempt me to become a premium user again.

I'm on giffgaff and get this popup in the ios app - and most annoyingly it pops up with enough delay that you can start to initiate a search request in the EN app, then the O2 add pops up and it then blocks you from using the app as the keyboard disappears. GRRRRRRR

You have to terminate the EN app, and then relaunch it  - you then don't get the add, and can then repeat the search you were already half way through trying.

This doesn't tempt me to become a premium user again.

Have you filed a support ticket? It is possible that Evernote is still struggling to deal with the problems with O2 sub-carriers. 

Archived