(Archived) What happened to the notebook search bar?

dvgibson

I just upgraded to 5.0.3.1614 and am dismayed that I cannot find the search bar we used to have for the notebook. It seems that everything is now a search, including notebook. There is a search bar up above for All Notes but I don't want to search all notes, nor do I want to have to type in "notebook:"My Notebook" and then the word I am searching for. 

I just upgraded to 5.0.3.1614 and am dismayed that I cannot find the search bar we used to have for the notebook. It seems that everything is now a search, including notebook. There is a search bar up above for All Notes but I don't want to search all notes, nor do I want to have to type in "notebook:"My Notebook" and then the word I am searching for.

It's always helpful to mention what client(s) you're using. In Windows:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/43730-search-within-notebook/

And on Mac, upon entering any terms into the search box (cmd-opt-f) you will be presented with the option to search "Everywhere" or in the current notebook. 

The exception is if you override this with the syntax notebook:notebookname in which case it will search in the notebook you specified regardless of where you were when you initiated the search. 

Thank you BurgerNFries, that link to Harry's post is exactly what I am experiencing. BTW, this is Windows 7 I am talking about. I ran into other problems last night as well with it failing to repaint notes. Sometimes they had a title, other times they did not. I thought I found a way to search within the current note book by adding a tag, then you get the whole bar back, but then if you take out tags it takes it all away from you. 

I had work to do so I went back to the web based version. It still has the search bar that works.  Today I am going to see if I can get back to the 4.0 version. The options for printing are too limited on the web version.

Whew! Just found that the install files for 4.5 are still on my computer and was able to revert back. Where should I look for announcements about future version feature loss before upgrading again? 

Whew! Just found that the install files for 4.5 are still on my computer and was able to revert back. Where should I look for announcements about future version feature loss before upgrading again?

As pointed out above, the ability to quickly & easily search for notes by tag by notebook in Windows V5 has not been removed. (See link in my post above.)

I still see no way to get the very powerful and easy to use search by notebook back in 5.0. Surprised that such a powerful feature would be taken away.

It has not been removed, as Jeff pointed out above, and is very easy to use.

I am still not up to date on the current search nuances. I believe that if you click on the magnifying glass icon in the search control, and select "Current Context", your notebook/stack choices will remain active, and you can then enter other search terms, including literal text. At least that works for me.

I know that you can also select a notebook, and then Ctrl+Click in the tag tree to add tags to your search

attachicon.gif_screen.jpg

I still see no way to get the very powerful and easy to use search by notebook back in 5.0. Surprised that such a powerful feature would be taken away.

What's not working for you? The answer given above is specifically for WIndows v5, and it works fine for me.

When I click it shows me the saved search and its title. So I guess I could create a new search including the current notebook (context) but why the extra steps? Why not just put back the text box where you just click and type? Can you show me a screen shot of what you see?

When I click it shows me the saved search and its title. So I guess I could create a new search including the current notebook (context) but why the extra steps? Why not just put back the text box where you just click and type? Can you show me a screen shot of what you see?

You never once mentioned "saved search" until now.  I have posted a screen shot of what I see except the drop down box b/c it disappears when I try to do a screen shot.  But the posts have been pretty explicit. When you click the drop down by the magnifying glass there are two options (IME).  Search all notes or search current context.

It's helpful to those trying to help you if you are clear about what you are trying to do. The Evangelists are pretty savvy but we are not mind readers.  I'm busy with other things right now & rarely use saved searches. Perhaps someone else may be able to help you. As far as extra steps...sometimes when an app changes, you have to adapt & maybe you will need to modify your saved search.  IDK. 

OK, I try again. I am trying to search for all notes in a notebook containing a certain word. Before we had:

5f7d3e11-d6a3-42b7-9d0d-f6fb070fe47e.png

All you have to do is pick a notebook, which narrows down the search tremendously, then just start typing where it says Search. Perfect!

You are right, in 5 you have to click the magnifier and you get a dialog, which you cannot snip. 

BTW, on Android it has a nice UI for doing this. Click search and it gives you choices, All notes, this notebook and more. 

I think I have to be missing something. Going to go upstairs and try on another machine.

• Level 5*
OK, I try again. I am trying to search for all notes in a notebook containing a certain word. Before we had:

TO do this in v5: 

* click on the magnifying glass to make sure that "Search Current Context" is selected.

* To then select a notebook, click on the control that's pointed to by the pink arrow in the attached screencap. Pick a notebook.

* To then add search text, go back to the control containing the magnifying glass. You should see the notebook that you selected just to the right. And just to the right of that, type your search word.

post-49273-0-30391500-1388785014_thumb.p

Jeff- I'm trying. Here is what I see:

b65c186a-f564-4b66-9fe8-d9f3795bf4bd.png

I presume you mean the magnifier over to the right? I don't see any others. So I click on that and get:

8891ed5f-d4bc-48b5-be30-88795ef816e2.png

This is modal so OK and Cancel are the only ways to get back to the window behind. 

What did I miss?

• Level 5*

I am not seeing your screen caps. The magnifying glass I am referring to produces a dropdown menu, not a modal dialog. This is the one on the toolbar, not the one that's in the light-brown search explanation panel.

Archived