Tag by Date

Hello everyone, and thanks in Advance for your assistance. I'm currently in the nascent stages of using Evernote to run office operations for a small developing firm in Va. We build less than 10 houses per year, and are constantly developing new subdivisions. This lead to a daunting amount of paperwork, and the management team was becoming overwhelmed and demoralized by the strain. I was called in from the field to streamline operations and setup a new system. 

I intend to use Evernote for Invoice review. The owners are in the field, and their oversight is critical to the success of our projects. They are constantly heading back to the home office to review paperwork, just driving all the way in, to sit around and look at pieces of paper. To do away with that nonsense, I want to scan every invoice in, and tag all transactions up for review with an "Attention" tag. The owner performs a search function, for the tag "Attention", and if he is content with the veracity of the invoice, tags it with a signature tag. I then process payment, then scan in the payment record,  merge it with the original note, delete the attention tag, and move forward.

My current concern is that I tag everything by Date. We will have hundreds upon hundreds of date tags within the year. This will lead to a very cumbersome search function. How can I minimize this? create just one tag per month and allow OCR search to do the rest? Or have no date tags whatsoever? Do I write the date in the title to ensure EN search function will find the information. 

Thanks a million, also, any other relevant advice is very welcome. FYI, I'm using QB Premier 2014, and dropbox for excel spreadsheets

Hello everyone, and thanks in Advance for your assistance. I'm currently in the nascent stages of using Evernote to run office operations for a small developing firm in Va. We build less than 10 houses per year, and are constantly developing new subdivisions. This lead to a daunting amount of paperwork, and the management team was becoming overwhelmed and demoralized by the strain. I was called in from the field to streamline operations and setup a new system. 

I intend to use Evernote for Invoice review. The owners are in the field, and their oversight is critical to the success of our projects. They are constantly heading back to the home office to review paperwork, just driving all the way in, to sit around and look at pieces of paper. To do away with that nonsense, I want to scan every invoice in, and tag all transactions up for review with an "Attention" tag. The owner performs a search function, for the tag "Attention", and if he is content with the veracity of the invoice, tags it with a signature tag. I then process payment, then scan in the payment record,  merge it with the original note, delete the attention tag, and move forward.

My current concern is that I tag everything by Date. We will have hundreds upon hundreds of date tags within the year. This will lead to a very cumbersome search function. How can I minimize this? create just one tag per month and allow OCR search to do the rest? Or have no date tags whatsoever? Do I write the date in the title to ensure EN search function will find the information. 

Thanks a million, also, any other relevant advice is very welcome. FYI, I'm using QB Premier 2014, and dropbox for excel spreadsheets

Don't use tags for dates.  Use YYYYMMDD format.

I would suggest you use a descriptive title and/or keywords. When I scan or download/save a PDF that is say my Cox cable bill or my Nordstrom card statement, I save it with a descriptive file name. IE Cox YYYYMMDD or Nordstrom YYYYMMDD where YYYYMMDD is the date of the bill (Cox) or the closing date of the statement (credit cards). I put the file in my import folder where Evernote sweeps it in & gives the note title the name of the file. I have over 62,000 notes in my main account & can find the Cox bill from May of 2011 in a matter of seconds by using the following search:

intitle:cox 201105*

That sure beats skimming through thumbnails.

I just (unwisely) renamed some of my pdfs in this format "Cox 5/11" and now when I try to view them on my android device (all field officers are issued android devices), I get the error "No application found to open this attachment" Is that the side effect of using special characters?

I just (unwisely) renamed some of my pdfs in this format "Cox 5/11" and now when I try to view them on my android device (all field officers are issued android devices), I get the error "No application found to open this attachment" Is that the side effect of using special characters?

No. That means exactly what it says...no app found to open the file. You need to have an app that can open PDFs.

No additional app should be needed, allow me to be clear, prior to my renaming of the pdfs, they all open just fine on my HTC EVO 4g LTE. After renaming, and only the particular attchments that were renamed, no longer open and generate the aforementioned error. 

Resolution: I renamed again, this time omitting blank spaces and special characters, and the pdfs once again open as expected. I did download adobe anyway though. Thanks a bunch for your help

• 7 months later...

This comment is a little late, but this thread showed up in a search.

The creation date of the note can be changed (Note Info button).  It defaults to the date when the note was entered in Evernote, but you could change it to the invoice date since that is really the date the document was created.  It then gives you the ability to search on date ranges and sort by date.

Of course, you loose the actual time stamp from when you scanned or uploaded the invoice, but it could be worth it.

Archived