Restoring Evernote after clean installation of OS

brinky

Idea

I am planning to do a clean installation of mavericks on my macbook and i want some advice on how best to restore my evernote database in the new installation. I realise the sync notes will restore automatically but i have as many notes that are in a local folders ie never synced.

I need the database to come back exactly as it is - all tags etc etc etc. To lose all that would be ....... Bad.

Any advice would be appreciated and any other things i should been in mind.

Thanks.

6 replies to this idea

I am planning to do a clean installation of mavericks on my macbook and i want some advice on how best to restore my evernote database in the new installation. I realise the sync notes will restore automatically but i have as many notes that are in a local folders ie never synced.

I need the database to come back exactly as it is - all tags etc etc etc. To lose all that would be ....... Bad.

Thanks.

Please search the board on backup/restore for the Mac client.

Thanks.

Please search the board on backup/restore for the Mac client.

I did - no obvious clear answer - hence the post. Thanks for the help.

• Level 5*

Thanks.

I would think a Time Machine backup/restore should do the job.

Just take these precautions:

1. Make sure you are running the latest non-beta version of Evernote.
  2. Make sure you do an EN Sync AFTER your last EN changes and PRIOR your backup.
  3. Record the total number of EN Notes, and the number in each Notebook (a screen shot might do)
  4. If you have any very important Notes that are irreplaceable, you might also EXPORT these Notes from Evernote both as HTML and Evernote XML format to an external drive.
  5. Quit Evernote app and Evernote Helper (from the menu bar).
  6. Make Time machine backup of both Evernote app and data (see below for data location).
  7. Confirm a successful TM backup, by at least viewing the BU, and to be sure do a restore (or partial restore) to another location, maybe even on a different hard drive.
  8. If you want to be extra cautious, in addition to the Time Machine BU, copy all EN app/data to an external drive.
  9. Don't make any changes to your Evernote account AFTER you have done the Backup of your current OS.
  10. Make clean install of Mavericks.
  11. Disconnect your Mac from the Internet so that Evernote cannot sync.
  12. Now do the Time Machine restore of the Evernote app and data.
    • NOTE:  I think a restore of the EN APP should work fine.
    • But, if you encounter any problems starting up EN, you may need to download and reinstall from the original source (EN Web site or Mac App Store).
  13. Start Evernote and confirm that the total count of Notes and the count for each Notebook is the same as prior to backup.  Review a sampling of Notes (especially any key/important Notes) to make sure they have been restored intact.
  14. If all looks good, connect to Internet and do an Evernote Sync just to confirm everything is still in sync.  EN should NOT find anything to sync.
  15. Reconfirm Note count

The location of your Evernote data folder depends on where you installed Evernote from:

• Direct download from Evernote

/Macintosh HD/users/<your user name>/Library/application support/evernote

• Replace "<your user name>" with your Mac login name
    • The "Library" folder is normally hidden.  To see and go to this folder, hold down the [OPTION] key and click on the "Go" menu in the Finder
  • Download from Apple Mac App Store

~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote

Please keep this in mind:  I have NOT actually performed this type of backup/restore myself, so while I believe this should work, I cannot guarantee it.  Please review the process I have outlined and make sure it makes sense to you.  If you have any doubts/questions, ASK.  Make sure you have a good backup/copy of your Evernote data before starting the clean installation.

I really wish Evernote would publish and up-to-date article in their KB on exactly how to do this, and on making Mac backups/restores in general for Evernote.

Good luck, and let us know how this works out.

Good luck, and let us know how this works out.

Thanks for taking to the time to outline this. It looks pretty good. I also wish Evernote would provide an official article. 

At the moment this Evernote restore is the only thing stopping me doing a fresh install - i rely on evernote a lot. As soon i do the install ill report back with my experience following your recommendations.

Thanks again. 

I finally did it. Although i brought a new MacBook Pro instead of a clean installation so it forced me to move Evernote.

I essentially did as outlined above by JMicheal.

0, Synced the MacBook Pro with Evernote (from mac app store) so all the synced/non local files were all in the app. Only missing local files.

1, Did a final sync and then closed Evernote app on ALL DEVICES. I noted the number of notes.

2, Copied from ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote on my Macbook Air (master database) on to a USB drive.

3, Copied from the USB drive overwriting the same container on my MacBook Pro.

4, It asked whether i wanted to overwrite some newer files on my MacBook Pro - i said yes. I think they where preference / system files so after the sync i got all the "Evernote Tour" prompts etc - don't know why as all of that had been done on the MacBook Air long ago.

5, Checked the number of notes and everything added up - 2300 notes. I did some test searches on both devices and the results matched.

Ive been using Evernote today and everything seems to be working fine so at the moment I assume its worked. Id be surprised if it went bad - looks and works fine. Ill report back should it malfunction.

Hope this helps someone.

And thanks again JMicheal - your outline was a very helpful.

Archived