(Archived) Markup with Skitch - Missing

eknraw

Hello,

In the latest version of Evernote 5.1.0.2217 I seem to have lost the ability to open a skitch image and do any type of markup.  I did try the beta before this release and the markup was buggy, the markup button wouldn't always appear in the right corner of the image and I reverted back to 5.0.3.1614 (screenshot below, works fine).  This version however just doesn't appear to have the option.  Right click doesn't have the option, the pink ribbon is missing. 

Both of the screen snaps below were done with skitch.  

post-170162-0-70884600-1387514515_thumb.

post-170162-0-75895500-1387514514_thumb.

Any pointers would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Bill

If you want to go back to the old version just uninstall your current Evernote installation and re-install the old build.  I didn't have any issues other than having to sign in again and losing some preferences. 

You can find the old build here: http://cdn1.evernote.com/win5/public/Evernote_5.0.3.1614.exe

Evernote also keeps version in the AutoUpdate folder if you have that turned on, so you might be able to find the old version in there. Windows 7 path: 

C:\Users\YOURWINDWOSLOGINNAME\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\AutoUpdate\

+1  -  I love Evernote and don't know how I ever lived without it.  That said, my livelihood now revolves around certain features and it's very scary to see them disappear without warning!  Reverting to old build until issue resolved.

"Moving out" a feature that was already there in a previous build is beyond "poor coordination."  It's terrible product management.  What other features that people have come to rely upon could be dropped without warning?  What is the logic for fixing some bugs at the expense of other features?  There is nothing in the release notes that this feature was taken out.   How "soon" will it be reinstated?

Dear Evernote,

Here's a pro tip:  Please STOP SILENTLY REMOVING MAJOR FEATURES TO WORK OUT BUGS. It tends to piss off paying users who understand that a certain number of bugs in software is to be expected, but this "remove it and try to get it replaced before anybody notices" as a bugfix policy is not. You guys do this FREQUENTLY. Exhibit A: Chrome Web Clipper. Please stop.

Thanks,

• Level 5*

Hello, I changed to Evernote mainly because of this feature that has been removed.

Is there any estimated time for this feature to return?

Haven't heard any yet, and the Evernote folks don't always (or even very often) give out feature release estimates.

Wow!  How long did I spend trying to figure this out?  Too long!  I thought I was crazy.  I've been "save to evernote" in skitch and then it took me a while to figure out that it actually saved a new note (on the web, no less), not updating the one that I opened.  These methods that the developers use to add features and debug really need to be reviewed.  Causing this kind of grief (loss of productivity) should be totally unacceptable.  Is there no QA dept?   It's almost like Skitch and EN are two unrelated companies...  Somebody's ass would be out the door if were up to me.  (Yes, I own my own company.)

And this BS about not providing time estimates is *****!

Have a nice day.

+1 for me as well. Rather annoyed that this was just removed and users weren't informed. Very very poor form and super unprofessional. Evernote is going downhill...

Please fix this ASAP!

Please make it obvious in the Release notes when this feature is added back. I can't update to the latest and greatest version of Evernote until this is put back. I use it all the time on just for fun images and images for documenting things for my job.

Carl

• Level 5

as said, See previous page: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/49762-markup-with-skitch-missing/?p=249827

Also you might want to follow the beta threads.

I think the trend is toward the current Mac and iOS clients, as well as the previous windows beta's where markup is done internally (but with the Skitch like tools) rather than chaining out to an installed copy of Skitch.

Come on guys, it's a couple of extra steps until the feature's back. Appreciate it interrupts workflow, but the rest of this service is still fantastic.

In the meantime, right click, "save as" to a folder, open with skitch, edit, save, drag image back out of folder into Ev note.

Ok, quite a few extra steps. But, come on, perspective.

Come on guys, it's a couple of extra steps until the feature's back. Appreciate it interrupts workflow, but the rest of this service is still fantastic.

In the meantime, right click, "save as" to a folder, open with skitch, edit, save, drag image back out of folder into Ev note.

That's fine if you're marking up 2 or 3 photos but multiply those steps by 20 to 30 times per day and it really adds up.  That's my perspective for what it's worth.

I agree, the rest of the service is fantastic.  It saves me hours of shuffling papers around.  My biggest issue is that the feature was removed without any warning and no mention in the release notes.  I thought my computer messed it up before I found this thread.  

You're joking, right?  Even when it was working "correctly" it was a joke, but painfully useable.  If you need to actually use this feature (and EN) for real work (ie notetaking!!, documentation) it's unbearable.  I've been drinking the Kool-aid and using EN more and more to document many of the design projects I work on.  When it all works it's an awesome tool.  ...what's the opposite of awesome??

There are companies that, when they discover they broke something, come out with an out-of-cycle patch to get things working again.  Many times within hours or days.   I can't understand why EN seems to get away with breaking things, and then just walk away from the problem.  Ya, I'm still pissed.

We moved it out, wanting to get some bugfixes out before Christmas. It was poor coordination/timing on my part. Apologies. It'll be back soon!

I really hope you do not remove Skitch never again. I use it daily, so if it missing long enough I will cancel my Premium subscription.  :angry:

Until this gets fixed on the desktop I have to do it on my tablet - a PITA for sure. Before it was removed I'd never had a problem on my Windows desktop.

Looking forward to having this fixed. It's a key feature that has led me to demostrate to other business owners the benefits of Evernote in the workplace (manufacturing / service).

Any Evernote Employees have an ETA on its return?

Nope: I just downloaded the latest version and the option doesn't seem to be there; would, at the very least, be possible to know WHY it was taken out (in my opinion, it was working perfectly). 

Thanks

Nope: I just downloaded the latest version and the option doesn't seem to be there; would, at the very least, be possible to know WHY it was taken out (in my opinion, it was working perfectly). 

Thank you for being the guinea-pig debbio! You saved me the hassle.

I'm pretty annoyed it doesn't even rate a mention in the release notes as a "known issue".

No problem MattH, I normally always download/buy the latest version of everything....what happened here is making me reconsider my position...I just don't understand why they are trying to fix something that is not broken (but maybe there is an explanation, I just would like to know).

Nicola

Hello, Is it working on new version  5.1.1.2334 ?

Still doesn't work for me either.  :angry:

However, if you right click on the image you want to edit in evernote, then select rename and add the missing file extension, image is now named Picture.png.  This at least puts some options into the right click Open With menu and makes it easier to open in skitch.

BUT once in skitch the save "back to evernote" isnt there.  I only get "save to evernote" which requires me to enter user and password and I assume it will save to the web.  This is not useful to me, so I will continue to NOT use skitch until they fix the evernote integration.  REALLY disappointed that they didn't fix this in the latest release.

Spent a bunch of time trying to figure out what happened to this feature.  PUT IT BACK!!  You put it out there because it was useful to your user base (i.e. customers, i.e. your $$$$)  Just taking it away with no communication makes you a very untrustworthy partner.  You have damaged my trust and opinion of you.  Certainly can't recommend you until you fix this, at the very least.

However, if you right click on the image you want to edit in evernote, then select rename and add the missing file extension, image is now named Picture.png. 

Hey robanero,

Thanks for the tip!  In an effort to get some productivity out of this mess, I've downgraded to v5.03.1614.  BUT, I've been trying to shrink my images like I used to via "open with Xara Picture Viewer" (in my case).  It always used to work for me to edit the image, then save (removing the appended "edited" from the filename), but every time I tried it the note's image didn't change.  After reading your comment I tried selecting .png instead of the old default .jpg and shazam! it finally worked. 

This is EXACTLY why there should be a list of the specific changes being made with our tool! I just can't understand the logic of not doing that -- if this information was communicated to the user at least we'd have a fighting chance of finding a workaround to the developers "experiments", we'd be able to better test the modified functions, and give kudos when appropriate.

I just got a Republic Wireless phone and while they are a small company, they use a voting system that several other companies I do business use.  You get a running tally of what customer's a stressing over and the status of current and past issues.

How can this issue go unresolved for so long!!

I tried contacting Support again, but the end result is the same.  The feature will be back "soon".  Support refers you to this forum discussion.  Funny (not really).

Hello BasieBand,

Thank you for your patience.

Unfortunately, I am unable to give you more details regarding a re-release date for this feature. I can confirm that it will be back soon.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/49762-markup-with-skitch-missing/?p=249827

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,

Jason
Evernote

BasieBand - Jan 22
Chat transcript:
Visitor: With the Dec. 26 update to the Windows app 5.1.0.2217, we lost the ability to markup items with Skitch. In the Evernote Forum, your representative stated that the the feature was removed with the hope of having it resolved by Christmas. Can you provide any information on this missing feature? When users begin to rely upon a feature and then have it removed, it makes us reluctant to invest in other features if not the entire Evernote app.
Visitor: I'll wait.
Jason: Thanks for contacting Evernote support. I'd be glad to help you with this. One moment while I review your question.
Visitor: Thanks.
Jason: That is absolutely correct. I don't have an update on when they expect to add that functionality back in. I know it's at the top of their list. 
Jason: When you exit out of this chat it will create an email support ticket. I can take some time to check in and see if I can get a more detailed response for you. Does that work?
Visitor: I appreciate it. The communication (or lack of it) regarding this matter has been deplorable.
Jason: I apologize for that. I will do my best to get as clear an answer as possible.
Visitor: Thanks.
Visitor: I can be reached at 
Jason: Great, I'll talk to you soon.

Oh come on. Evernote offers 5.1.1.2334 update and it has already know that Skitch not work with it. Remove your ragged update.

One day Evernote told that I'm one of earliest Premium-customer (they warned something about server moves etc.). Now I tell to Evernote that I'll soon to be ex-Premium member, if you abandon Skitch.

• Level 5

If you look in the release notes, there's no expectation that those features were back.

Evernote for Windows 5.1.2.2386 Release Notes

• Improvements:

• Improved ScanSnap Options & ScanSnap support

That said... Wow evernote.  I don't per se, begrude a whole update for ScanSnap fixes, I'm sure they're important.  But ONLY ScanSnap fixes?  Really?  REEallly?

Please pass my regards to the developer (singular), he's really over worked.

I think the Release Manager and the Marketing Manager, maybe Phil too, could perhaps have a coffee together and discuss optics, and maybe a little bit around customer retention.

Evernote is really dropping the ball here.

I'm interested as to what part of EN market share are using Windows? Only #51 threads of people complaining. I guess in the big picture not that important? 

Developers must be Mac users, eh? Get it out already!!!

• Level 5*

I'm interested as to what part of EN market share are using Windows? Only #51 threads of people complaining. I guess in the big picture not that important?

Maybe Skitch isn't as important to some users as it is to others. Maybe some users have read the forum post by dlu promising to put it back as quickly as they can. We don't know what's going on behind the curtain, after all, but they have had a large effort, announced today to improve the sync speed across all clients.

Developers must be Mac users, eh? 

Are you calling us Mac users and Canadian? I mean, we have Canadians on the team so that particular a bit unusually accurate... just an interesting conflation.

The ScanSnap update is a bit out of band from our normal cycle, as you'll see its less than a week from our previous GA.

New 5.1.2.2386 prerelease still broken...  Skitch and also atlas doesnt work

What about the pre-release is broken?

Skitch support in evernote client is broken. Atlas is broken (here is also thread about it - permanent "loading..." problem). Its not critique. Its just info for anybody who would like to install it.

• Level 5

New 5.1.2.2386 prerelease still broken...  Skitch and also atlas doesnt work

What about the pre-release is broken?

My presumption from the post is its referring to the Thread title.  A complaint that another release comes without either a return of the ability to round trip through Skitch as before, or a return of the internal Skitch-like markup of the previous pre-releases.

As for my posts, it's the optics that are broken.

Putting markup/skitch aside, between the internal builds of 5.1.1.2304 and 5.1.2.2386 there's no low hanging fixes QA'd to pre-release quality that could be included?

No doubt those that spent $400 on the scanner are pretty vocal, perhaps more so than the Jot Script/Penultimate group.

While the Evernote Market may have sprung into a significant chunk of the monthly revenue, last checked, it's still a far smaller piece of the pie than Premium/Business seat revenue.

Or is the whole development/QA team really only working on ScanSnap?

If I could have a dollar for every bugfix the devs at my company knock down and deploy to customers in a week...

I recently noticed that, on my Android tablet, if I edit an image that I previously edited with Skitch, I can still edit the shapes (the image is not rasterized)...I can't remember if that was the case before, but this is very good! 

I wonder if this is the reason why they removed the "edit with Skitch" thing in WINDOWS (I think once the image was saved, it was rasterized and you could not delete or modify what you did before).

Or maybe is something else...I just wonder why nobody takes a second to just explain what the problem is (then we can all patiently wait for the problem to be solved).

Nicola 

I recently noticed that, on my Android tablet, if I edit an image that I previously edited with Skitch, I can still edit the shapes (the image is not rasterized)...I can't remember if that was the case before, but this is very good! 

I wonder if this is the reason why they removed the "edit with Skitch" thing in WINDOWS (I think once the image was saved, it was rasterized and you could not delete or modify what you did before).

Or maybe is something else...I just wonder why nobody takes a second to just explain what the problem is (then we can all patiently wait for the problem to be solved).

Nicola

We moved it out, wanting to get some bugfixes out before Christmas. It was poor coordination/timing on my part. Apologies. It'll be back soon!

It's really easy to be oh so critical when you aren't directly involved in the work under the hood.  I'm pretty sure they did not remove it & have not added it back yet just to peeve off their users.  In the life of Evernote, this is a pretty new feature and there are workarounds that can be used & were used before this feature was added.  I'm guessing EN simply haven't fine tuned whatever it was that caused them to remove this in the first place and/or there may be other, more pressing priorities.  And I'm sure everyone would agree it's best to not roll something out before it's fully cooked. 

Nicola

It's really easy to be oh so critical when you aren't directly involved in the work under the hood.  I'm pretty sure they did not remove it & have not added it back yet just to peeve off their users.  In the life of Evernote, this is a pretty new feature and there are workarounds that can be used & were used before this feature was added.  I'm guessing EN simply haven't fine tuned whatever it was that caused them to remove this in the first place and/or there may be other, more pressing priorities.  And I'm sure everyone would agree it's best to not roll something out before it's fully cooked. 

by all means I do understand this, and I am not among the super angry mob... I was just wondering if perhaps they could just elaborate a bit on what the issue is and what we could expect in the near future...

by all means I do understand this, and I am not among the super angry mob... I was just wondering if perhaps they could just elaborate a bit on what the issue is and what we could expect in the near future...

EN does not usually publish road maps or ETAs. What DLU posted is about as much as is ever said.

Additionally, as they strive for feature parity, Evernote has stated:

Now, now people, you guys have been long enough to know that we don't release our product roadmaps.

And - like it or not, feature parity *may* mean that we may *remove* a feature from one client because we were unable to make it work successfully across the board. So - be careful what you wish for.

I know a few features I used to use in the past have been removed. At least in this case, it seems clear the removal was temporary & the integration will return in a future update.

We just assumed that when he said "before Christmas" that he meant 2013.

Maybe you should re-read his post:

And?

And?

Sorry, but if you need further clarification, someone else will need to help you, since he's pretty clear & I don't know how to make it any more clear.

Maybe this will be helpful for you...if not, someone else will need to spell it out for you.  bug fixes -- > before Christmas.  Adding Skitch in --> "soon".

And?

Maybe this will be helpful for you...if not, someone else will need to spell it out for you.  bug fixes -- > before Christmas.  Adding Skitch in --> "soon".

Thank you, that was helpful.  Like BasieBand I also interpreted it as them wanting to get Skitch back before Christmas.  It sounded to me like the bugfixes and getting Skitch back were the same thing.  A little blunt, but you did spell it out more clearly than originally stated.

Still, the bigger issue for me is that Markup with Skitch was removed without warning and no mention in the release notes.  That's a big deal deal to me; makes me wonder what else will suddenly disappear without warning.  I will be slower to update in the future, scanning the forums for issues before I do.  

Thank you, that was helpful.  Like BasieBand I also interpreted it as them wanting to get Skitch back before Christmas.  It sounded to me like the bugfixes and getting Skitch back were the same thing.  A little blunt, but you did spell it out more clearly than originally stated.

Still, the bigger issue for me is that Markup with Skitch was removed without warning and no mention in the release notes.  That's a big deal deal to me; makes me wonder what else will suddenly disappear without warning.  I will be slower to update in the future, scanning the forums for issues before I do.  

I'm definitely much more Judge Judy than Dr. Phil.  :-0  I call 'em as I see 'em.  But I'm also one who will go to great lengths to help you, if you have a problem & I think I can help you. 

And I agree it's disappointing when EN removes functionality.  As I mentioned in post #63, a couple of things I used years ago have been removed, never to return & EN has stated they reserve this right.  (Not that they needed to state this explicitly...it is their software after all.)  I can't say I like this approach, but I can respect it.  I agree it would be helpful if it were clearly pointed out beforehand when features are removed.  I used to be an avid beta tester & updater.  I no longer beta test simply b/c I don't have the time or energy to deal with possibly problematic software for something I heavily rely upon.  I no longer jump on the latest upgrade mostly b/c of time.  But also b/c I like to read the feedback on the board.  Having said all that, Evernote is still an app I use many times every hour I'm on a computer/tablet & more.  IE (sending snapshots directly to EN via FastEver Snap from my phone.)  It's still an integral part of my toolbox for daily life.  And I certainly don't see denigrating the devs as helpful for anyone. (Not that you are...but certainly in this thread & several others, the abilities of the devs is brought into question by some of the posters.)

• Level 5

I will be slower to update in the future, scanning the forums for issues before I do.  

That's a wise and safe choice for many of us.

I let the more adventuresome users jump into the pool first. Let them try out the upgrade and find the bugs. I'll sit on the sidelines and watch the forum comments. Once the dust settles and bugs are addressed, that is when I proceed with an upgrade.

• 4 weeks later...

Nicola

Agreed, but not communicating about it for two months is highly unprofessional. (That's my opinion, not necessarily a fact.)

Nicola

Agreed, but not communicating about it for two months is highly unprofessional. (That's my opinion, not necessarily a fact.)

There is no excuse for Evernote's lack of communication on this matter.

• Level 5*

It's not clear to me what needed to be communicated. Dlu said that Skitch (now Annotate) would be back and that they were working on it (and apologized for the screwup). Meanwhile, it was clearly being worked on, for those who follow the betas (progress on which was reported here as soon as it was available). Given their policy of not giving out release dates, was there any more information that needed to be conveyed?

I received an email containing an additional reply to this post, but I do not see the reply on the forum.  Was it deleted?  If users disagree with Evernote's practices and question the Evangelists (as the other person did), will their posts be deleted?

I received an email containing an additional reply to this post, but I do not see the reply on the forum.  Was it deleted?  If users disagree with Evernote's practices and question the Evangelists (as the other person did), will their posts be deleted?

I had tried to reply, but i'm not sure if my submission went through. Regardless, we don't go around deleting posts that we disagree with

I had tried to reply, but i'm not sure if my submission went through. Regardless, we don't go around deleting posts that we disagree with

Thank you.

It's not clear to me what needed to be communicated. Dlu said that Skitch (now Annotate) would be back and that they were working on it (and apologized for the screwup). Meanwhile, it was clearly being worked on, for those who follow the betas (progress on which was reported here as soon as it was available). Given their policy of not giving out release dates, was there any more information that needed to be conveyed?

I could have been more clear about Skitch/Annotate being removed. Seems like several people thought the feature was coming back for Christmas. Instead I meant to say we wanted to get bugfixes in for Christmas, so we pulled Annotate out with the intention of putting Annotate in after Christmas.

Since then, the team has been hard at work, the feature you see today is much faster and more polished than before. Admittedly, there were some logistical issues that caused us to not get it back in as quickly as we would have liked. Again, apologies for this.

Someone does, or the forum software is very coincidentally buggy.

Speaking as a recipient.

Please talk to gbarry about any incidents of this. If either the software or a person has gone rogue, he'll fix it.

I could have been more clear about Skitch/Annotate being removed. Seems like several people thought the feature was coming back for Christmas. Instead I meant to say we wanted to get bugfixes in for Christmas, so we pulled Annotate out with the intention of putting Annotate in after Christmas.

Since then, the team has been hard at work, the feature you see today is much faster and more polished than before. Admittedly, there were some logistical issues that caused us to not get it back in as quickly as we would have liked. Again, apologies for this.

Again, thank you.

• Level 5*

It's certainly not my practice to delete people's posts unless they're outright spam or otherwise contravene forum rules. Disagreeing with Evernote's practices or questioning Evangelists certainly isn't prohibited. I doubt that any other Evangelist or moderator would delete anyone's post on just that basis either. 

• Level 5*

Here is the reply (from someone) that appears to be missing from the forum.   http://www.evernote.com/shard/s12/sh/1be44174-3d3f-4d76-8b45-23111faa1ad1/2ae5028ba022e2907df36ed1fd8e3ced

There's certainly nothing objectionable there to my eyes (though I would disagree with some of what's written). Sometimes people do delete their own posts, though.

It's certainly not my practice to delete people's posts unless they're outright spam or otherwise contravene forum rules. Disagreeing with Evernote's practices or questioning Evangelists certainly isn't prohibited. I doubt that any other Evangelist or moderator would delete anyone's post on just that basis either. 

Thank you.

Here is the reply (from someone) that appears to be missing from the forum.   http://www.evernote.com/shard/s12/sh/1be44174-3d3f-4d76-8b45-23111faa1ad1/2ae5028ba022e2907df36ed1fd8e3ced

There's certainly nothing objectionable there to my eyes (though I would disagree with some of what's written). Sometimes people do delete their own posts, though.

Perhaps.  Thanks for your help.

• Level 5

Jefito, you do tend to stand out among the EE's, even in your optimism.  May there be more of you.

(I'll speak up on the next occurrence).

In the mean time, I too received the email Basie refers too.

If the forum logs could confirm it was self moderated/deleted, that would put it to bed.

As for me, http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/49762-markup-with-skitch-missing/?p=258071 was a veiled reference to the time period in question.

I received an email containing an additional reply to this post, but I do not see the reply on the forum. Was it deleted? If users disagree with Evernote's practices and question the Evangelists (as the other person did), will their posts be deleted?

As dlu and jefito have said, posts do *not* get deleted by mods or employees simply b/c they disagree with them. The exception is if a post is clearly spam or goes against the forum rules of conduct. As someone else said, if you suspect a post has been deleted, you should forward the notification to Gbarry.

I do want to point out that we rolled it out in a beta and then pulled it before the GA. Part of the reasoning is that the beta community is much more limited than all of the Windows users. I don't want people to think that we pulled a feature from a GA release and held on to it. We pulled a feature that was in a beta and have been working on it until it's ready for the general Windows population.

• Level 5*

Yep, you should definitely do that.

If the forum logs could confirm it was self moderated/deleted, that would put it to bed.

I think it should be looked at, too. I can't see the logs, myself, as far as I know (never really tried) -- I think it's a gbarry thing..

As for me, http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/49762-markup-with-skitch-missing/?p=258071 was a veiled reference to the time period in question.

Not really buying that at face value, sorry -- the claims in the deleted post are pretty mild, all in all. But the logs will tell.

Jefito, you do tend to stand out among the EE's, even in your optimism.  May there be more of you.

Sorry to disappoint you yet again, but no, I did not delete the post in question, or any posts for that matter.

• Level 5

Not following the gist of your last line...

I thought my deleted post was fairly mild too, though certainly calling into question at least the optics presented by actions, compared to my experience working in another development realm.

Yet, poof

And the nearest participating EE, expressed taking exception to that.

Seemed like a cozy coincidence.  But a poster has little evidence trail to claim a post was ever there (apart from a repost as Basie has here).  So I can do nothing but put on a wry smile and carry on.

And frankly my view was that EN and delegates are welcome to play out the rules as it suites.  My only right is not to participate if I disagree.

So even if I could post a packet sniff log of the post, it matters not.

• Level 5

Thank you for volunteering that BnF.  Note I could make no such claim, otherwise.

Filed under "mysterious vanishings"

Not disappointed ;-) You're still pitching them in there.  Where we disagree, you already know. 

Archived