Web Clipper 6.0.5 hanging on clipping (Safari 5.1.10) & tab jumping

NutkinNB

I noticed that Evernote's web clipper updated in the last week and since then I've noticed that I'm unable to actually clip anything when I'm using Safari (5.1.10). It sets everything up properly, but when I actually click save, it just hangs and continues to appear as though it's in the process of saving, without actually doing so, even after 10 minutes. I've tried this multiple times on multiple sites after rebooting with no change.

I also noticed that whenever I opened a link on Page A and then switched away to another tab (Page B) before Page A fully loaded that suddenly Page A would becoming the active tab, switching from Page B. I have never experienced this before (in 5 years of use). Once I disabled the Evernote extension, I haven't experienced this change in tab activation, but it reappears whenever I enable the extension.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I had a wonderful time using the previous Safari web clipper and while I like the new version alright, these glitches make it unusable and I've already lost a number of things that I wanted saved because I didn't realize it was hanging for the first day or two. Is there an easy & reputable spot to find a copy of the previous extension?

Thanks!

I agree with Nutkin NB that there is a problem with Evernote Web Clipper in Safari 5.1.10.

I am experiencing the same hang and failure to save.

I installed the Web Clipper 6.0.6 extension update today, November 27 2013, but still experiencing the same problem.

My Mac is an early 2011 MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 with all updates.

My current workaround is opening the page I wish to save in either Opera 18.0.1284.49 or Chrome 31.0.1650.57.

Evernote Web Clipper is working in both those browsers.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got Evernote Web Clipper 6.06 on Safari 7.0.1 and for the past many weeks both the Clipping and Syncing stages are taking an incredibly long time (measured in minutes!), and quite often it seems to hang at Clipping, which is of course making Evernote unreliable as a quick clip-and-move-on tool, compared to previous versions. Any suggestions as to what might be causing this?

I just switched back to the older web clipper (on one of my machines) because the new version kept hanging on "clipping." Nothing was getting saved, even after hanging for hours. Luckily the old, trusty version is behaving itself.

To add my voice to the chorus: this update is a major step backward. I have been a happy Evernote Premium user for a while now, but this new web clipper is a real problem. Even when it works (which it does on one of my machines) it is much more work to clip anything because you have to travel all over the page--even to save. In the older version I could change the title of whatever I was clipping right below the clipper button, on the left side of the screen. Now I have to move over to the right side to do this simple thing. Slow. Annoying. Please change it back!

• 1 month later...

For some reason It's not working for me. I disabled automatic updates, downloaded it and restarted my computer and it doesn't change from 6.0 to 5.9. I've tried three times already.
Should I uninstall it and see what happens? How can I do that? 

Thank you for your help.

@damsanto & others experiencing issues with Safari Clipper.

Here's the latest beta version that has proved successful in resolving recently reported issues in Safari Clipper.

Get it here:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s13/sh/b8c696b8-c8c2-46ea-8715-fbbcb808743d/d3822b24c27e1b8b959dddbabd149553

And please let me know if you run into any problems. 

Previously I uninstalled the version 6 to install version 5.9 and version 5.9 was working ok.

Then I uninstalled 5.9 to install the 6.1 beta and the 6.1 is a little slow to respond. 

Its taking some time to appear on the page after clicking on the icon in the toolbar and once its open it takes a long time to bookmark or do anything.

I restarted the computer twice to see if this helps but it doesn't.

Haven't been able to clip anything yet. Thanks again for helping everyone out.

@damsanto & others experiencing issues with Safari Clipper.

Here's the latest beta version that has proved successful in resolving recently reported issues in Safari Clipper.

Get it here:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s13/sh/b8c696b8-c8c2-46ea-8715-fbbcb808743d/d3822b24c27e1b8b959dddbabd149553

And please let me know if you run into any problems. 

I've just installed this and restarted Safari (7.0.1 on Mavericks), and it's failed at the first jump! Trying to clip this page give me the infamous stuck Clipping "..." message, which is just about all I get from the clipper these days. In fact for practical daily purposes I've given up on the web clipper -- I just copy all and paste into a new note, or use PopClip's Evernote action. 

I'm in danger here of spouting the irritated and clueless users' "but surely you can just fix this one thing ..!" old saw, but will narrowly avoid it. I know these things can be hard to get right. But fast, reliable  capture is truly crucial for a tool like Evernote. The current situation is most frustrating.

I have to say I wish we could just have a fast, simple, local clipper. Fling captured html into a new note, sync it up, and worry about the details later. The features of the new clipper are lovely and all, but it doesn't actually work. As a user, it is an obstacle.

One of the reasons I cancelled my premium membership was the degrading quality of the Safari clipper. I cancelled 15 months ago, but tolerated buggy clipping and worsening OS X and iOS clients for over a year before that.

There are two core capture workflows that I expect Evernote to excel at, always: pristine web capture and effortless ScanSnap scanner capture. Both got worse, not better, as Evernote released new versions. Between premium subscribers and VC funding, I have zero forgiveness for Evernote performing badly at either of these.

The cumulative effect is that I use Evernote less. That web clipping still isn't rock solid validates this. Unfortunately, for me and Evernote.

One of the reasons I cancelled my premium membership was the degrading quality of the Safari clipper. I cancelled 15 months ago, but tolerated buggy clipping and worsening OS X and iOS clients for over a year before that.

There are two core capture workflows that I expect Evernote to excel at, always: pristine web capture and effortless ScanSnap scanner capture. Both got worse, not better, as Evernote released new versions. Between premium subscribers and VC funding, I have zero forgiveness for Evernote performing badly at either of these.

The cumulative effect is that I use Evernote less. That web clipping still isn't rock solid validates this. Unfortunately, for me and Evernote.

That so many of us still capture to Evernote by primitive means like email or copy and paste, is pretty sad. I'm not ready to ditch Evernote Premium because it has so many other benefits. And I think the clients (OS X and Android are my most-used) are rather good. But fast capture is so foundational a feature for Evernote, I'm amazed it has been this bad for this long. I'd love to know the real story why. It can't fundamentally be a technical issue. Probably some imbecilic manager insists on features or approaches that the dev team just can't make work.

We have not been able to reproduce any of the issues mentioned here. Safari Clipper version 6 supports Safari 6+ and OSX 10.8.5 and up and in our testing it is working well. 

After installing the Clipper you need to restart Safari or only use it on new tabs. 

There are a few settings in Safari that may prevent the Clipper from running.

- Allow cookies from Evernote

- Enable Javascript

Other possible sources of conflict can be:

- Popup blockers that interfere.

- Other extensions that interfere.

@jbignert

The last email I had from Evernote Support (14/1/14) told me that this was indeed a bug in the clipper.

For me it works about 1/3 of the time. If I hit the plugin icon a 2nd time while the everlasting "Clipping .." of doom is still going, perhaps 50% of the time it will resolve things for that one clip attempt.

In practice, it's too frustrating to bother using. I have a few plugins installed, but when this started I had only two: 1Password, and Ghostery (the latter with evernote.com whitelisted). I do have 3rd party cookies blocked, but as this is a Safari default I imagine most people do (they'd be dumb not to).

Premium subscription is up in 3 days, and I'm torn. What's the point of an everything bucket that makes ubiquitous capture difficult? Can't you just provide a simple local clipper, stripped of the bells and whistles, that just grabs stuff quickly?

My premium subscription is due tomorrow, and I've come to the same conclusion. This is too basic a failure to reward with payment. Evernote clearly has developers capable of creating a clipper that works, and managers are choosing not to put the resources there (or to prioritise bling over quality, which pretty much defines 'manager').

Shame there isn't a good cross-platform alternative. There are very good single-platform options (OneNote on Windows, VoodooPad on the mac), but I know of nothing with Evernote's reach.

And the most recent response from Evernote Support:

We are currently offering Web Clipper version ##### for the Safari browser. The latest version can be found here. *http://evernote.com/webclipper/*

Once you have the extension downloaded, uninstall the version currently on your machine. You will do this by:

1. Clicking on the Safari Menu and selecting Preferences 
1. Next select extensions
1. Click on the Uninstall button on the Evernote Web Clipper Extension. 
1. After the old clipper version has been un-installed you can install the new version by simply double clicking on the file you downloaded.

Please let me know if this resolves your issue.

(What on earth is the point of offering 'premium' support if the support staff don't bother reading the request?)

Risible.

@crispinb

Thanks for posting that screenshot, it clarified what the issue is and we will have a fix for the root cause within short.

What's happening:

- The Clipper loads your notebooks when you start it. If you attempt to execute the clip before notebooks have loaded you'll see this bug.

- Large accounts & Business users with lots of notebooks and network speed affect the loading time for notebooks.

Workaround:

- Until we have a fix, please wait with saving the clip until you see a notebook name in the sidebar. When you see the name appear the notebooks have loaded. 

I acknowledge this behavior is not great and we will make changes so that if user clips when notebooks haven't finished loading they will not fail but will be clipped to user default personal notebook.  

@jbignert: Thanks for that. It rings true: my workflow is to just very rapidly throw stuff into my default notebook, and sort/tag them later in Evernote itself rather than in the clipper. So I do invoke the clipper and hit enter quickly. Knowing what's going on will make this less frustrating.

On a subsidiary note (which perhaps merits a new thread), judging from my recent experience Evernote needs to improve training for support personnel, and/or to take some time pressure off by hiring more. There's little point in offering premium users 'priority' support if the means of delivering it is for support folk to have to work so fast that they don't read the support request (which is obviously what has happened in my case). I'd prefer 72 hour support with basic reading comprehension included than 24 hour without.

I acknowledge this behavior is not great and we will make changes so that if user clips when notebooks haven't finished loading they will not fail but will be clipped to user default personal notebook.  

One further point on this (consider it a feature suggestion): for those of us who want to clip speedily, why not include an option to just be able to clip straight to the default notebook if 'Save' is hit before the clipper has loaded the notebooks?

Alternatively (or, also) could the clipper do something about caching the notebook list. In-use it appears that caching is either non-existent or very unaggressive (it looks to me like the notebook list is loaded on every use).

@Mark - we're not testing and officially supporting that version. But the older Clipper version may work for you, get it here:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s13/sh/952f9863-294b-48cf-9f76-15f0c25926b7/a7287f437be9d1f79846f3fb2509da08

Thanks for this link.  Very helpful for solving my Safari 5.1 problem.  Especially thankful for the tip about turning off the automatic extension update.

@crispinb

We are working on a 1 click clipping mode for all the Clippers. More details in a beta version soon.

Thanks for letting me know. I'll keep an eye out for it.

I appreciate your responsiveness here -- helps me feel more justified in renewing my subscription ;)

I have the same problems described above - spinning wheels and the "," clipping message, four out of five times that I use the Web Clipper on two different computers in two different states. This began @ a week ago.  Initially I attributed it to poor bandwidth, but I have a big enough sample size now to question the assumption.  In addition, the bandwidth conditions have not changed, yet the problems are new.

I use Safari 7.02 under Maverick, and web clipper 6.1.  Mainly I clip articles, not pages.  

I have uninstalled and reinstalled web clipper.

Perhaps it's my imagination, but some sites appear to clip without a problem while others invariably hang. An example of the latter is phys.org.  Is this an HTML problem?  Or is it a bug associated with a recent update either to Safari or to Web Clipper?

Evernote has become a key part of my workflow, so I'm very sensitive to dysfunction.

Just one thought - if the hangup is in the loading of notebooks, why not limit the options - or at least let the user chose to limit the options.  This hangup is new, and while I enjoy the features of the new clipper, I'd rather revert to the old if this continues.

Just installed Web Clipper 6.0.8.1 on Safari 5.1.10. 

Tried clipping only to get little red circle counter on the Elephant logo note the number of clips.

Nothing synced with my desktop - same account, new install, new user, empty account.

Opened Safari preferences to find that there was an update for Clipper - so updated and restarted Safari.

Was able to make two clips and sync to desktip.

Then "infinite" clipping messages - just a counter on the Elephant increasing and nothing.

Restarted Safari - then the Elephant went dead.  Click and nothing.  No drawer slide, nothing.

Uninstalled Clipper and restarted Safari.  Reinstalled.

Nothing.

Archived