(Archived) Evernote Android External Keyboard problem

papagrif

Starting today, November 13 2013, (after the Evernote update) my external keyboard on my Nexus 7 gives strange results when typing text in Evernote.

This is also true when I attach a standard PC keyboard.

I, for instance, cannot enter a capital S or several other Capitals.

When I enter text into a wordprocessor or other app the external keyboard is working just fine.

Regards

I wanted to throw my 2 cents behind this. I'm having the same problem, the capital T, S, U, I, and B do not work. When I hold either shift and try to use B, U, or I the U will give an underline, the I will give an italic, and the B will bold.

I tested then a Doc in Google Drive and this issue didn't exist there, nor did it exist in Jotpad Pro X.

Having the same problem starting today.  Running Evernote on Asus TF700 with Keyboard attached.  When starting a note trying to captilize using the shift key doesn't work with every letter.  The CAPS Lock will work and create a capital but drastically inefficient.  Shift key is acting like the Ctrl key overnight.  Please help.

I have the same problem using a Perixx Periboard 805L bluetooth keyboard with my Android Nexus 7 2013. Just noticed it today. Shift + some keyboard characters doesn't result in an uppercase letter. Example Shift + t results in no uppercase or lowercase 'T' character. Shift + b results in subsequent characters appearing as bold lower case letters. Shift + b again toggles bolding off.

Behavior only occurs within Evernote. Keyboard works fine in all other apps. For example I'm using it to type and post this forum reply.

Also tried recommendation to uninstall and reinstall Evernote. No change in behavior; problem persists.

I am having this issue as well. Running Evernote on a Nexus 7 with a minisuit bluetooth keyboard. All keyboard functions work fine in other apps. Issues with capitalization and strange things happening with the shift key are only happening in Evernote.

Whew! I'm glad to know this isn't just me. I have a Hisense Sero Pro 7 and since the last update the shift "W" closes the current note, shift "I" doesn't type anything. It's all screwed up on my bluetooth keyboard. I hope they get this fixed soon. The weird thing is that I can type on any other app other than evernote and my BT keyboard works just fine. Also, It works in the title of the note but not the note itself. Please hurry and fix this so I can recommend Evernote to my staff so they don't end up using google drive. 

In hope that more replies increase the priority for fixing this bug: I use an Asus Transformer TF300 and have the same problem.

It seems to me, that - if there is a [ctrl] + something shortcut - evernote also accepts [shift] + something. 

Please fix this bug soon - at the moment it is very hard to use evernote for everydays tasks.

I came here to report the same thing but see others beat me to it. I was taking notes in a lecture last night and simply could not figure out what was going on for the first several minutes. I was using a 2012 Nexus 7 with a bluetooth keyboard / cover. It seems like the shift key did control key functions, e.g. shift-i toggled italics, shift-b toggled bold, etc.

Below is the suport ticket I sent to Evernote support and above that is there reply. Not much help. I just reverted back to 5.4 and now everything is working fine. There's nothing in 5.5 that I can't live without so I'll just keep this version until they fix the problem

** Unfortunately we are experiencing an extraordinarily high volume of support at this time, and we may not be able to assist you in as timely a fashion as we would like with your request. **

Can you please go to the following location in your Android device:

Tap the Elephant > Tap the three vertical dots at the top right > Settings> Support> Send log> (choose email program)> Send

To: us-support@evernote.com

Subject: Ticket# 236136

Note: You MUST enter this subject line exactly or we will NOT receive your message.

Kai

Evernote

crispeto - Nov 13

The latest EN version is giving very weird results when using the shift key for caps and typing a note. This is mostly happening on 7 inch tablets. The letters I, W, B, and others are no longer working properly. This issue has also been reported in the forums in the android section. Please look into this. Many of us use bluetooth keyboards for meetings and now I can't. Thanks.

Below is the suport ticket I sent to Evernote support and above that is there reply. Not much help. I just reverted back to 5.4 and now everything is working fine. There's nothing in 5.5 that I can't live without so I'll just keep this version until they fix the problem

Please can you tell me how you reverted to version 5.4? I'd like to do the same thing.

Same issue on my Nexus 4 phone - again, was using happily in meetings etc. with a perixx bluetooth keyboard. No-one else here seems to have noted it, but the keys it doesn't work for are all shortcut keys. So, for example, I and B: you could usually use CTRL+I or B to get italics or bold. When I use shift I or B, I get the same behaviour: the shortcut, not the capital letter I'm meant to get. Shift + W closes the note I'm working on, so that's not ideal!

Is no-one else getting that? The shift key is, for me at least, now doing what the CTRL key should be doing. (The CTRL key still has that function too). Seems like that should be an easy fix...? I sent the support report as suggested.

This was driving me nuts! I have a Nexus 7 with a bluetooth keyboard. I at first thought it was an issue with my keyboard but then found the capitalization issue was not a problem in other apps. Glad to hear I'm not the only one and hope that Evernote devs address this soon! 

Is there anything we can do collectively to expedite a fix?

I am having the same problem with Evernote 5.5 (Android). I am using a Nexus 4, Moto X, and Nexus 7 (2013).

What happens to me is:

- Some letters such as "S" are not working with shift. They work as if I'm pressing some other modifier key such as CTRL, ALT, or CMD.

- Some keys with shift cause the entire app to freeze

- On screen keyboard works

- Voice keyboard works

This is an annoying problem. I'm having to use Evernote on my iPad, which with the same keyboard has no issues.

Hardware and Software:

Nexus 4 4.3.x

Moto X 4.2.x

Nexus 7 (2013) 4.3.x

Evernote Android 5.5

Thanks much folks. Hopefully the Evernote folks see all these folks with the issue and get a bug fix released quick. It sure is dampening my day.

-Oz (wizozzie)

I'm having the same problem. I'm using the latest verion of Evernote on an ASUS Transformer TF201 and it's really annoying. I hope they fix this soon. Is it possible for the 5.4 APK to be posted here to help those who can't find it online?

i am having the same problem.   Shift doesn't work with S T and several other letters, instead producing a blank space.  Shift-W causes the note to save and exits the editing function.  No problems with the bluetooth keyboard in other apps.  I'm using a Nexus 7.2 with a Minisuit Bluetooth keyboard.   Problem started after the last update.

I got this reply today:

"We apologize for the inconvenience, however it appears there is currently a bug causing this. We appreciate you taking the time to send us this error. We have filed an internal bug report with the QA team lead. She will classify and fix the bugs in the order determined by the project Lead. Unfortunately this is not something I can fix for you at this time. Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience. 

Thanks for making Evernote a better product,

Kai
Evernote"

At least they know about it.

Shift key is acting like a CTRL key. At least that is true for the shift-b. Type then shows up in bold. Probably true for the other keys as well. A work around, if you can call it that, is to use Caps Lock for the Capital letter you want, then turn it off.

Archived