Max Pages to OCR with Evernote Moleskine Notebook

Coming up on year's end, I am going to be archiving 3 Evernote Moleskine Notebooks that I have amassed over the last year. I would like to optimize my notebooks/notes as much as possible, so I wanted to see if there were any suggestions or best practices on the following:

OCR:

• Is there  a limit on the number of pages I can OCR at once?
  • Would you scan in an entire notebook as a note, or break it up in some other way?

Tags:

• Other than using the smart tags, has anyone found a good way of making topics (self created text tag) searchable? I have tried using the hashtag (#tag) and that doesn't work as an option.

To Do's:

• Does anyone use this feature to manage their real life to-do list? Thinking about it, but not sure if it makes sense.

Thanks again!

Bryce

• Level 5*

OCR

• If you're leaving Evernote to do your OCRs it depends whether or not you're using PDFs or images to archive with.  The OCR limit on PDFs is 25 pages (I believe) - don't know if there is a limit on individual page JPGs attached to a note;  but if you use JPGs you might run up against the note size limit,  so
  • I'd keep your notes short - maybe a separate note per topic or per day/ week/ month.  Easier to find content anyway if a search jumps you to a close page if not the actual item you need.

Tags

• For speed and convenience I'd suggest no (or minimal) tags unless you have real need - use good (ie long) titles for your notes with lots of keywords

To Do's

• No clue - I use a mixture of software to run my to-dos with similarly mixed results...!
  • Level 5

OCR

• Limit? - see point #4 below for the Evernote OCR rules
  • Scan an entire notebook? - I find Evernote to be much more powerful if I use a larger number of smaller notes than one humongous note.

It takes a bit longer, but I always let my ScanSnap scanner do the OCR for me (instead of Evernote).

Why?

1.) Exported PDFs:
ScanSnap: The PDF document remains OCR'd if I export it from Evernote.
Evernote: The PDF document loses its OCR if I export it from Evernote.

2.) Consistency:
ScanSnap: The search results are consistent in Evernote, whether I view them from my desktop client or the Evernote web.
Evernote: The search results are not consistent because Evernote uses different OCR software depending on the platform.

3.) 100% OCR:
ScanSnap: Works on notes that are stored in my local non-sync'd Evernote notebooks.
Evernote: Evernote cannot see my notes on my local non-sync'd notebooks, so the PDF's cannot be OCR'd.

4.) No rules:
ScanSnap: OCR's all my PDF's - no rules and I know it is done.
Evernote: Evernote has 6 technical rules to follow and no warning if the document fails to meet all the rules
https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23169032

• Level 5

TAGS

Evernote does not search the text in tag names. So I would recommend you follow Gaz's instructions mentioned above involving well structured titles. Starting the title with a date (yyyymmdd) can be very powerful.

I use a lot of tags, so I rely on 3-character prefixes on many of my tags for easy remembering and grouping of similar tags.

More info can be found at:
http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/28840-question-about-tag-levels/#entry155962

• Level 5

To Do's:

I use the To Do check boxes as a fail-safe to prevent items from falling through the cracks.

Search terms

todo:false (unfinished - unchecked checkbox)
todo:true (finished - checked checkbox)
todo:* (all checkboxes)

But my primary Evernote method for managing To Do items is to modify the "Created Date" so that becomes my actual "To Do Date".

Thanks for the help Gaz and J Benson. I plan on using a combination of your suggestions with this archive project.

Here is what I am planning on doing:

- Create Separate E-Notebook in Evernote for each physical notebook.

- Smart tag all pages 

- Add tags to all pages in the three letter format here: http://discussion.ev...ls/#entry155962 - I will then have another note that holds the master key to all of the 3 letter codes, so when I forget, I have something to refer back to. 

- Create individual notes in each notebook with the date in in the note title in YYYYMMMDD format

thanks again!

• 2 months later...

Archived