Notebook Stack Sharing

Richard Feynman

Idea

Currently EN only allows sharing at the notebook level. This greatly limits the functionality for those of us who use stacks, because it prevents us from sharing our hierarchical structure, and all context is lost. For instance, let's say I want to share:

Project 1 (stack)

- Tasks

- Notes

project 2 (stack)

- Tasks

- Notes

All the users us going to see is four notebooks, two named tasks and two named notes, they won't be able to see which project they are stacked under. All context is lost. And I have to share every single notebook. And before someone tells me how I can use a workaround :), I know I could but I don't want to use a cumbersome workaround, I'd really like to see this added as a feature.

Thanks

• Like 7

Posting a request in forum serves as a feature request. As nearly as I can tell, Evernote folks do read every post, though they don't always reply.

So true. We don't always reply, but we are reading. The forums serve as a great place to develop ideas and we're always checking for feature requests. This is one of them.

• Like 2

Add me to the list of users who want to share stacks! Stacks are great for providing structure and context for all of our documents and media. PLEASE let us share this with other users. This sharing feature is really needed, and would more fully address another request I've seen on the forums -- nested notebooks. Stacks already function as a organizer for notebooks. But we can't share this organization with other users if we can't share the stacks. Stack sharing, PLEASE!

Yes please, it is too tedious to share notebooks when a project needs to divide the notes, and tags in a consolidated notebook do no separate well enough as I have some projects with 30-40 notes for 30-40 notebooks. So, sharing a stack makes the most sense. And, if I go look for another solution with this type of functionality, my Evernote use will fade away. But, it is important enough now that I have this functionality, and soon, literally within weeks, or another solution I will need to find and more than likely say farewell to my premium Evernote subscription. Not trying to be crass, just highlighting the importance of this for my workflow and I am sure there are others like me.

But, it is important enough now that I have this functionality, and soon, literally within weeks, or another solution I will need to find and more than likely say farewell to my premium Evernote subscription .

Doubtful it will be implemented within a few weeks.

• Level 5

My gut feel is that any change in modifying Stack hierarchy will be quite a while down the road.

So, here is how I would address the flat list problem today with a painless adjustment. This format will keep the associated notebooks grouped together with the Parent project stack.

Abc Project (stack)

- Abc Tasks (notebook)

- Abc Notes (notebook)

Def Project (stack)

- Def Tasks (notebook)

- Def Notes (notebook)

Ghi Project (stack)

- Ghi Tasks (notebook)

- Ghi Notes (notebook)

Are there any third party developers listening????????????????????????

You could develop a product that people WILL BUY right now.

Create a product that allows sharing of stacks and notification of changes to a stack or notification of a new note within a stack.

Also please develop an app that will allow me to paste a list of emails from a CSV file into the invite "box" to share a lesson and hopefully in the future to share a stack!!!!!!!!!!

UPDATE to this post. I Found out that I can in fact cut and paste a list of email addresses into the invite "box". You have to do it in the web version and not in the EN version on your computer. One problem solved anyway.

As a new user of Evernote, I was saddened to see that stacks can't be shared. Sharing of stacks would certainly be a great thing. Yes, I can change my naming conventions, but having to go through all of my notebooks that are already in a stack, just to share them, is usless work. They should automatically inherit those rights as well. As I make a new notebook in that stack, it should automatically be shared.

Hope it happens soon!

• Like 1

The ability for notebooks in a stack to inherit their parent's sharing attributes is fundamental for any serious user of the tool. I've just spent a week or so evaluating the market and am a little disappointed that this is yet to be implemented. Can someone from product development comment on the likely timescale for this much sought after functionality?

• Level 5*

@jwbeyer (et al):

I guess that the questions in my mind would be:

• If I share a stack with others, is it a one-off deal, or should I expect any changes (e.g. add or remove a notebook) that I make to the stack synchronize to the sharees.
  • Can a sharee add or remove a notebook to the stack on their end?

If it's just a one-off thing, then that would be a convenience, and maybe not hard to implement. Full stack synchronization across multiple sharees would be a different beast, I think.

BTW, there are plenty of serious users of Evernote who do not need sharing, so this is not a fundamental use case for these users. On the other hand, if you've been evaluating the market, then surely you've found some other solution, or are you disappointed in the entire market as well?

Also, as this is a user forum, Evernote staff do not always comment on issues, and they rarely give timetables for future product directions. They do sometimes, but I wouldn't expect it.

BTW, there are plenty of serious users of Evernote who do not need sharing, so this is not a fundamental use case for these users. On the other hand, if you've been evaluating the market, then surely you've found some other solution, or are you disappointed in the entire market as well?

Well, probably pretty fundamental from an Enterprise perspective. From what I can tell Enterprise views aren't overly represented on here, for whatever the reason. A view I'm coming around to is that a shared notebook should be treated (from a feature parity perspective) like any other client. IE, if you can do X in a notebook, on any platform, you should be able to do that in a shared notebook. That's presently not the case, because of the way we started out, as a personal service, but the continuing interest from group accounts is making the need for administrative flexibility in the shared client more salient.

• Like 3

Well, probably pretty fundamental from an Enterprise perspective. From what I can tell Enterprise views aren't overly represented on here, for whatever the reason. A view I'm coming around to is that a shared notebook should be treated (from a feature parity perspective) like any other client. IE, if you can do X in a notebook, on any platform, you should be able to do that in a shared notebook. That's presently not the case, because of the way we started out, as a personal service, but the continuing interest from group accounts is making the need for administrative flexibility in the shared client more salient.

Thanks so much for this insight, Geoff. It would be great if Evernote staff would share their developing thinking (as you've done here) more often—not even or not at all related to concrete plans or projects in the works. I know you're not speaking for the company here, so we shouldn't take your "coming around" as a sign of what Evernote will definitely do in the future, but it's still really helpful and interesting to hear things like this from those of you on the inside.

To push a bit on this particular topic, again noting that I know you're not speaking for the company—well, are you speaking for the company in suggesting that at least some people at Evernote may be starting to take longer looks at enterprise clients and away from "the way we started out, as a personal service"?

• Level 5*

Coming from a bit further back, the Enterprise was a less-emphasized problem space for Evernote, at least that's the impression I got from Dave E. My own take is (and was) that enterprise is going to want more involved sharing facilities; so long as the easy things stay easy, then that's fine. I do agree that shared resources ought to have the same capabilities as normal resource, modulo owner's permissions, of course.

Thanks so much for this insight, Geoff. It would be great if Evernote staff would share their developing thinking (as you've done here) more often—not even or not at all related to concrete plans or projects in the works. I know you're not speaking for the company here, so we shouldn't take your "coming around" as a sign of what Evernote will definitely do in the future, but it's still really helpful and interesting to hear things like this from those of you on the inside.

To push a bit on this particular topic, again noting that I know you're not speaking for the company—well, are you speaking for the company in suggesting that at least some people at Evernote may be starting to take longer looks at enterprise clients and away from "the way we started out, as a personal service"?

Yeah, me "coming around" basically means I'll be looking for and monitoring and sending feedback along those lines to our product teams. Which they get anyway because they trawl these environs regularly, but it helps if I'm also running around flagging specific posts for their attention as well.

As for whether or not we're taking longer looks at Enterprise, we've been doing that in a fashion, specifically through group accounts. But, let me emphasize, this is Enterprise in a way that is still Evernote. Coming from finance, Enterprise is sometimes treated like an entirely different can of worms--different architecture, different systems, different products--than for say a similar B2C product offering. The emphasis, in our case, would be to improve Evernote (say, through better sharing administration) that benefits all users, with the added benefit being that better sharing admin is better for Enterprise as well.

• Like 2

Coming from a bit further back, the Enterprise was a less-emphasized problem space for Evernote, at least that's the impression I got from Dave E. My own take is (and was) that enterprise is going to want more involved sharing facilities; so long as the easy things stay easy, then that's fine. I do agree that shared resources ought to have the same capabilities as normal resource, modulo owner's permissions, of course.

And yup. I think this also flows well with my response directly above, in that the emphasis isn't on building a product for Enterprise, but building a better Evernote product by improving functions that are useful to Enterprise use-cases. If it sounds like I'm dancing, I'm not--it's an important distinction.

• Level 5

One year ago - here is a link to Evernote CEO Phil Libin's comments on enterprise software.

One of his takeaway lines:

"We're not going to make an "enterprise" version of Evernote. We're going to wait until enterprises are ready for the "human" version."

• Level 5*
If tags can't be exported with notes, then it seems very important that Stack of Notes can be exported, as far as useful sharing goes. Exporting tags can be a useful workaround.

Not sure what you mean by 'export'.Exporting to Evernote format preserves tags. Export to HTML doesn't, as far as I can tell, though.

+1 on stack sharing.

I was just about to migrate my customers from Basecamp to Evernote when I realized that stacks could not be shared. This puts the kaibosh on my workflow concept that I pitched to my clients.

Evernote is without a question, my favorite app, and I believe stack sharing would be a very important feature.

Tags are not shared? Could someone confirm or clarify? Thanks for your help.

Alex

+1 on stack sharing.

I was just about to migrate my customers from Basecamp to Evernote when I realized that stacks could not be shared. This puts the kaibosh on my workflow concept that I pitched to my clients.

Evernote is without a question, my favorite app, and I believe stack sharing would be a very important feature.

Alex

Sorry, my mistake comes from the way tags appear on the shared notebooks on the iPhone of my colleague. What i found out is that i cannot use the tags from the shared notebook as a way to filter notes. Not sure why.

I'll let the pros explain if there is an explanation.

Tags are presently not shared. In other words, the tag structure of a shared notebook does not proliferate or become suddenly useable within your own tag framework.

For good reason, too. You wouldn't want a carefully manicured tag structure upended by someone else's shared notebook. We're working on ways to make tags more useful between sharers, though.

Tags are presently not shared. In other words, the tag structure of a shared notebook does not proliferate or become suddenly useable within your own tag framework.

For good reason, too. You wouldn't want a carefully manicured tag structure upended by someone else's shared notebook. We're working on ways to make tags more useful between sharers, though.

I know you are trying to protect us from other people but if all notebooks were treated the same but we were able to put shared notebooks inside a stack then we could choose if we wanted a mangled mess or not. You could start off by saying all users have two stacks, Personal Notebooks Stack and Shared Notebooks Stack. If we chose to put a shared notebook in our stack then we have chose to take their mess. (The main people I want to share with are my wife and my dad, so I trust them with their tag making ability.)

If I want to see my carefully carefully manicured tag structure, then I'll choose my Personal Notebooks Stack. If I want to find the information by tag no matter what notebook it's in, then I'd choose All Notes.

Instead of using stacks, you could just expand the current "All Notes" to be "All Notes" and "All Personal Notes".

One year ago - here is a link to Evernote CEO Phil Libin's comments on enterprise software.

One of his takeaway lines:

"We're not going to make an "enterprise" version of Evernote. We're going to wait until enterprises are ready for the "human" version."

http://discussion.ev...dpost__p__71869

Let's not characterize sharing stacks as a purely Enterprise feature. Cutting edge collaboration features have been advanced in recent years by the consumer market. Think most any social network. Enterprise has dragged its feet on social collaboration until recently (not without good reason, but that's another discussion).

I think I am not an untypical premium user in that I use it for personal notes, but would also like to share certain notebooks with my wife. For example, say your company is relocating and you have to move your family. Wouldn't it be great to have a "Moving" stack containing notebooks for "schools", "neighborhoods", "house listings", etc. And wouldn't it be nice to share that stack and all the notebooks underneath. But even when shared, the collaborative use is limited because if I share "house listings" notebook with my wife and give her editing rights, she still cannot clip a listing from a webpage and save it to the shared notebook.

Shared notebooks, as currently implemented in Evernote, are not very human friendly. Evernote needs to get on this before MS Onenote and third-party developers for Google Apps or even some enterprising Facebook developer or brand new service offers a great multi-platform notetaking product WITH good collaboration features.

• Level 5

Last time we moved, I remember using an antiquated technology to share information with my wife about schools and neighborhoods.

We talked to each other. Yeah, that verbal thing.

Sure, we can all come up with scenarios that might be useful in personal life. If I used Stacks, I might stumble across a reason to share it.

But my big fear is the vast majority of users who want to share stacks for collaboration are the corporate world bigwigs.

Fortunately, several of the key Evernote employees have seen first-hand how the Enterprise RFQ process, along with incredibly company-specific demands can cripple a software program and drive up the end-user costs and yearly maintenance fees to astronomical levels.

The Evernote CEO has vowed not to go down that road / cliff.

[Edit] Looks like I was wrong. The CEO has made a left turn and is going in a new direction toward a corporate Evernote.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9226665/Evernote_to_launch_tool_for_business

Well, i do not know how things are in USA, which I guess is Evernote biggest market.

But here in Quebec, the people who would use Evernote and pay for it (and iPhone, and iPad, and numerous other small and intelligent devices/programs) are, i think, freelancers and very small enterprises, people that must find mobile, collaborative, small-scale, affordable and secure tools to share info amongst multiple devices (intelligent phone, laptop, desktop, tablets), and, yes, any feature in terms of collaboration is important. They are very difficult to find. There seems to be a big gap between apps filling big business needs and freelancers like me, who work on short-term contracts with one or two partners.

Big-scale needs will probably be covered by apps like OneNote, paid by employers (OneNote which i use for a while and found fantastic, feature-wise, incredibly bad at synching properly, and incredibly time-consuming).

And the people who do not need to share will be, for the most part, happy with Evernote free app, which is great.

The deciding factor, for me, to go from free Evernote to paid Evernote, was the collaborative features. Amount of data ranked second. I would even pay more for more robust collaborative features than i would for amount of data, which Google offers for next to nothing.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents - would absolutely love sharing of notebooks. I'm a myers briggs J to the core and love to bullet things out. Stacks allow me to "bullet out" my notebooks in a way that I find to be more intuitive than tags, and I've love to be able to share this organizational structure with my friends/family.

From an end user standpoint, I fail to understand how having the ability to share a stack would make usability any worse in Evernote....or make it "bloated".

Select a stack, right-click, share stack.

What about that fundamentally makes Evernote more difficult to use or what built-in UI concept does it break?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

The way that I look at is is as follows: first, a stack is just a container of notebooks. Notebooks in a stack inherit nothing from being in a stack. Currently you can search a stack, rename it or delete it, export all of its notes, or move notebooks in and out. And currently, all of the sharing framework (logic and operations) for groups of notes is in the notebook. You can share a notebook with the world, or with a set of individuals. Since stacks cannot be shared, but notebooks can, someone who receives a shared notebook can create their own stacks to organize their own view of the world.

So now let's assume that you can "share stacks". So what does that mean? Two choices that i can see: 1) that all of the notebooks in that stack are shared alike, or 2) all of the notebooks currently in the stack get the same sharing operation (to the world, or to some set of individuals) applied to them in sequence.

For option 2, I see no problems. Each notebook currently in the stack receives the new sharing conditions and adds them to its current set of sharing options. Since this is a one shot operation, all of the sharing logic remains with the notebook. Notebooks can move in and out of the stack, have their sharing conditions modified freely, all without affecting any other notebooks.

Option 1 is where I see more potential for difficulties, or at least some messier questions to resolve. The stack now needs to participate in the sharing framework. So, on the owner's end, some questions. If the owner moves a notebook out of a stack that has been shared, does the notebook lose those sharing options? If the owner moves a notebook into a shared stack, does it of necessity gain that stack's sharing options? And on the sharee's end, is the user still allowed to organize shared notebooks freely any more, with respect to creating their own stack system? Another thing to consider; since you can share a notebook individually as well as sharing it as a member of a stack, you need to "do the math" on the sharing options of the stack and the individual notebook to determine who it's visible to, and for what operations. Is that 'math' awkward, and will it lead to surprising results?

I hasten to add that I don't really know the answers to the above questions. This is how I would start breaking down the problem; I'm not sure what other factors might come into play. Option 1 seems messier to me, and maybe the messiness is surmountable, but I can't tell for sure yet. Option 2 seems straightforward: it's a one shot deal on the owner's end, and off you go, but maybe I've missed something there too..

• Like 1

Quite interesting.

I would suggest not to lose sight of the reason one wants to group notebooks into stacks.

In my case, it would definitvely be: by project.

And if i group notebooks into stacks that i want to share, i certainly hope that the sharing options of the different notebooks are inhereted, by default, from the stack. With the possibility to make exceptions.

My view on the "permissions" would be that it is a hierarchy -- everything "below" the stack inherits the same sharing.

But I had not considered the other option people might want (you can use stacks to organize various folders which have varying permissions). That's why it's a discussion forum :)

Quite interesting.

I would suggest not to lose sight of the reason one wants to group notebooks into stacks.

In my case, it would definitvely be: by project.

And if i group notebooks into stacks that i want to share, i certainly hope that the sharing options of the different notebooks are inhereted, by default, from the stack. With the possibility to make exceptions.

Are you able to give examples of how you use stacks/notebooks for projects? What if you had one notebook per project, but the tag hierarchy was shared? Would that work for you?

Actually, in my case, yes it would work.

I work in cinema. Sometimes as a unit manager (location scout).Right now, I create one stack of notes by PROJECT and one notebook per potential location, + one notebook for contracts, one for maps, one for contacts, etc

But i could blend everything in one notebook and use the tags. Even better, since we can make a search with two tags.

If my colleague can share my tags, she can filter the notes tagged budgets, or the notes tagged contracts, or the notes tagged FACTORY and BUDGET. I can see it can work quite well.

I would also love this feature, and am a bit surprised that it's not available currently.

I.e. why can we share notebooks, but not groups of notebooks?

The stack is incredibly useful, as it adds context, as someone mentioned in an earlier post on this thread.

I've only just started using Evernote, and I already have a number of stacks. Some of these I really would like to share with others and the current format of only allowing sharing at notebook level is not intuitive for those I'm sharing with. Here's an example:

STACK 1: Car Hunting - I wish to share this with my Partner and some car savvy friends

Notebook 1: Selling (tips, prices, etc for my current car)

Notebook 2: Reviews

Notebook 3: Adverts

Notebook 4: Enquiries Made

STACK 2: New PC Build - I wish to share this some tech savvy friends

Notebook 1: Selling (tips, prices, etc for my existing machine)

Notebook 2: Reviews

Notebook 3: Adverts

Notebook 4: Enquiries Made

Notebook 5: Build tips / plan

• This seems a very logical approach to me, and works really well.
  • This is personal use, that very much falls within the 'Project' layout that others have mentioned.
  • As an alternative to having shared stacks, Simply having one Notebook for say Car Hunting, with hundreds of notes, completely unorganised beneath it is not productive in my opinion.
  • Likewise, having multiple "Reviews", "Adverts" etc notebooks is also not particularly helpful as if I share these with the same person, they're going to quickly become confused - it's much easier once things are grouped. I'm guessing this is the reason stacks were implemented in the first place.
  • Someone mentioned they see the sharing of stacks as primarily a corporate function. I'm not sure how you can come to this conclusion? In my opinion, as a personal only user, sharing of stacks is vital for personal use. If I can organise and group notebooks as stacks, then I should be able to share them as stacks. Otherwise, it's only causing me more issues further down the line when I come to share, and have to start re-naming notebooks etc so that people I'm sharing with understand the context associated.

My small group is collaborating on a large project. Evernote is great for providing a central repository, but very tedious in the amount of hand holding required to keep it working. The list of individual notebooks is daunting and not even grouped by Stacks in the Sharing dialog. Three features would make it much easier:

1) Shared Stacks

Let us specify that a Stack is shared and then when notebooks are added to that Stack they automatically have the same sharing properties (and list of members) as the Stack. Shared Stacks propogate their properties to all Notebooks in the stack. And it would be nice to be able to have it both ways, so that when the sharing settings for a single Notebook within a shared Stack are different (maybe an individual, or a particular Notebook is read only) could be tweaked without requiring abandoning the entire Shared Stack settings. Just have the Shared Stack settings be the default for the Notebooks within, while preserving the ability to modify each Notebook individually. And in the Sharing dialog, please group the Notebooks by Stack.

2) Mobile Stacks

This is simple enough and pretty obvious. Stacks need to be displayed on mobile devices, iOS in my case. Losing that level of organiziation requires naming conventions (crude) to overcome. Just give us the Stacks we've already created.

3) Offline Notebooks

The "All Offline" setting should not need to be set every time I add a Notebook. All Offline, means "All", not just the ones that were there the last time I pressed the button. New Notebooks inherit that setting. Very tedious to have to go to each iOS device every time I add a new Notebook.

• Level 5*

My small group is collaborating on a large project. Evernote is great for providing a central repository, but very tedious in the amount of hand holding required to keep it working.

I like your requests. They highlight some of the shortcomings of the Evernote Sharing feature.

IMO, Evernote Sharing is really "Sharing Lite", and doesn't come close to providing the features and tools needed for serious collaboration.

So, you may want to consider other apps for collaboration.

Here is a quote from a similar thread:

Evernote sharing is NOT ready for mission critical collaboration

You may want to look elsewhere for collaboration software.

I don't think Evernote sharing is ready for mission critical collaboration:

1. It's really was added as an after-thought to support personal sharing
  2. EN does NOT provide any type of notifications when notes are added/changed
  3. There is very limited control over permissions: It's either read-only or everything (including delete)
  4. There is no way to determined who created/edited the note
  5. Numerious sync/conflict issues have been reported

• Level 5

Evernote will launch a business program in the coming months...

In addition to a business version of Evernote, the company is planning to launch several major versions of its products in the next couple of months, or around a conference that is going to be held at the end of the summer, he said. There are going to be big redesigns and a focus on sharing, he added.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9226665/Evernote_to_launch_tool_for_business

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Evernote will launch a business program in the coming months...

http://www.computerw...ol_for_business

JB, thanks for sharing this "announcement". I had not seen nor heard of anything along these lines.

Sounds good. But it seems like a complete reversal of CEO Phil Libin's statements previously that Evernote was and always will be only a "consumer", end-user app, and that he had been down the path of "Enterprise software" and doesn't want to go there again.

Did Evernote publish a blog on this? If so, I missed it.

• Level 5

I have not seen any official announcement in the Evenote blog. Could be there, but I haven't seen it.

And yes, it does come across as a complete reversal. Back in 2010, I expressed some concern that Evenote's move to the corporate world had "jumped the shark" on their consumer focused product.

http://discussion.ev...dpost__p__71849

The Evernote CEO strongly refuted my comments and expressed his opinion on the typical enterprise software.

"... we think eventually more and more corporate folk will realize that their normal enterprise software is crappy and unappealing and, as these people get into senior management positions, things like Evernote will gain some official traction. We're not going to make an "enterprise" version of Evernote."

But after reading the article I mentioned above, in my opinion, there definitely seems to be some leakage away from their previous plans.

• Level 5*

It's interesting, he's talking about providing Evernote as a service to Enterprises not as Enterprise software - so no appliances, no self hosting. But, I'm guessing billing options, some more sharing and maybe some admin type tools for centralised management of accounts.

I deal with some very large US enterprises, in most Evernote is blocked by the firewall, in others it isn't blocked but is very frowned upon. Convincing IT and legal that Evernote servers are a safe place to keep corporate data is going to take more than the realisation that "normal enterprise software is crappy and unappealing", which by the way as a generalisation is pretty dumb.

Dear Evernote,

Thanks for the sharing feature. Now, would you make it a bit more usable, please?

We are a small startup and want to use Evernote for quick info exchange - kind of a wiki, to-do list, and even partially replace email.

What is missing?

• Sharing several notebooks at once is cumbersome.

1. Please, allow share/unshare/change several notebooks at once, and change their read-only -> modify mode.
  2. Or, allow sharing a STACK of notebooks at once (see this thread)
  3. Allow to NOT send notifications about sharing by email. We see each other often enough and hate reading extra emails.

• Tags in shared notebooks do not seem to sync to other users, and they cannot add their own tags.
  • Sync of shared notebooks is configured separately from user's own account. Please, allow to sync ALL notebooks - own and shared - at once; at least for PC clients with fast connection. Default period of 1 hour is not acceptable for our use scenario.
  • Or, allow me to set the sync period when I share my notebooks, so that recipients don't have to.
  • Or, whenever the client syncs own notebooks, the server can push it a hint about updates in shared notebooks, so the client can decide to sync them immediately, out of schedule.

Also, when a fresh new user installs the PC client and receives a shared notebook, the app could be a bit more friendly:

for example it could offer to go directly to the incoming notebook - which is on Shared tab and invisible by default.

(got several complaints today about this).

Thank you for reading.

Pavel A

• Level 5*

Is there a way to share a whole stack with someone and/or team? This would be helpful so I and the rest of my team can keep the main folder together.

Hi. Welcome to the user forums.

At this time, you cannot share stacks. You can only share notebooks individually.

• Level 5

Stat,

welcome to the forum.

At the moment there is no sharing of stacks. While I can see some need for this, I doubt it will be implemented any time soon.

Wern

• Level 5*

Hi and thank you for the welcome.

Is this something that I would need to bring to the developers to see if they could add this to their framework?

You could do that if you want, but I think if you search around on the forums, you'll find that this request comes up every once in a while, so they probably already know that some users want it. I suppose it is probably more a question of whether they want to do it, priorities, resources, and technical obstacles.

Personally, I would recommend relying more on tags than notebooks. Share a notebook with a broad category (see http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/evernote-notebook.html) and use jbenson2's suggestion for creating a tag hierarchy within it (see http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/evernote-tag.html).

I'd like to see shared stacks too. We're doing a number of home improvement projects right now, it would be very nice to be able to share the stack with my husband so that when I add or remove a project he can automatically see it instead of me having to remember to share every notebook with him as I create it. We've also got a number of kid activities (soccer, school, etc.) that are in one stack.

I'd like to create a stack called "Clients" and put 100 notebooks in it, one for every client, and share these notebooks with a group. Can I share the whole stack in one step, or do I have to individually share each notebook?

Thanks.

• Level 5*

I'd like to create a stack called "Clients" and put 100 notebooks in it, one for every client, and share these notebooks with a group. Can I share the whole stack in one step, or do I have to individually share each notebook?

Thanks.

You might consider creating just one Notebook called "Clients", and then using Tags to designate each client.

I have used this approach with much success.

All of my client-specific Tags have a prefix of "CLI." and then a short ID. Anytime I want to apply a client tag, or filter on one, I can just type "CLI." and EN provides a popup list of clients.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

• Like 1

I fully agree with many of the other users. A great enhancement would be to allow sharing of stacks. I don't see where this poses a problem with usability. If I share a stack with someone and they accept it, then they get to see the entire stack and inherit all of the settings I've placed on all the notebooks in it.

Similarly, if I accept a stack, then I would accept whatever permissions and settings that stack owner provides.

+1 for shared stacks. I'm putting article drafts for an emagazine we are creating for a tech audience. I have a stack for the categories of articles in various stages of creation. I want to share everything in this stack with the tech editors and authors, including new notebooks, changed notebook names within the stack, etc.

I have other stacks for other purposes (some to do with the emag, others for other purposes).

From a design perspective, I think that the simplest form of sharing stacks (with the same permissions for everything in the stack, current and future) meets the needs of the work teams for which this is a great solution. For enterprise docs, we already have Google Docs (the finished articles, the issue .epub and .mobi files), where permissions can be adjusted by user or group.

thanks,

Hank Fay

• Like 1

I'm trying to share a stack of ten folders globally within an organization. Many are already Evernote users. The inability to share stacks means that all of my sub notebooks are scattered across the recipients list of folders rather than logically grouped.

This begs the question if a user on a share can stack folders once received (assume Premium acct holders)? If stacked by the recipient, would updates fall to the stack folder or automatically install a new folder?

Tags are not the answer - especially when sharing large volumes of information with users unaccustomed. Example in my case is the desire to group information on multiple products in discreet folders within the stack ordered by type.

While on the subject, allow folders in the stack to be ordered in a fashion logical to the project - i.e. move up/move down.

Disallowing stack shares is reminiscent of mobile IOS prejudice to disallow logical file storage - instead associating files only with applications.

• Level 5*

You may stack owned notebooks (not folders) and joined notebooks (notebooks shared to you) together, at least in the Windows client. You may not stack Business notebooks together with either of the previous two types of notebook. Tags may well be the answer, if properly applied.

I would REALLY like to see this feature. It only makes sense, if you think that sharing a folder is a great tool, sharing a stack would be even better if working within a team. This feature would be key to me using this within my work seetting (Sheriff's Dept)

I hope someone sees this and makes this a priority. If I want to share a case file, but have to individually share evach folder regarding a certain individual, it's gets to be very unorganized and I loose the benefits associated with sharing a folder.

ie: say I have a stack for a certain individual, and I have notebooks on other important aspects of the individual, such as drug screen results and/or case notes etc... it doesn't make sence to share the "case notes" file as my other stacks... (or individuals) will also have a "case notes" folder and would be easily confused with other individuals if I can only share the folders.

To me this sounds like a no brainer if someone was working on sharing folders... you would think it only makes sense to share stacks as well.

I hope this happens... I love using Evernote. It's been great in many areas! But were it lacks, these are rather important features.

- Mike

I'm just starting with Evernote for a patient care team and this came up within the first 30 min of using evernote. We have a big team and lots of notebooks and tags are not sufficient for keeping organized or sharing a whole case all at once with new members. For us this feature would be a huge priority.

Thanks

The lack of sharing of stack's is a major oversight imo...  and the arguments selling work-arounds as more intuitive than just implementing such a simple feature fail at defending the logical reason for the oversight.

Today I was attempting to determine the best way to share information with 2 other collaborators, I figured that going premium would be best as I would like to allow all collaborators to have full editing permissions, but the lack of being able to share stack was the FIRST thing that came up as a major deterrent.  

Doing some research to figure out if it were possible led me here; only to find out it is not.

Its such a basic feature that would be expected to be retained in sharing, given its normalcy within the evernote organizational infrastructure.  

so unless there is some major technical reason it cant be done, I don't see why we should have to keep begging for it.

• Like 2

The lack of sharing of stack's is a major oversight imo...  and the arguments selling work-arounds as more intuitive than just implementing such a simple feature fail at defending the logical reason for the oversight.

Today I was attempting to determine the best way to share information with 2 other collaborators, I figured that going premium would be best as I would like to allow all collaborators to have full editing permissions, but the lack of being able to share stack was the FIRST thing that came up as a major deterrent.  

Doing some research to figure out if it were possible led me here; only to find out it is not.

Its such a basic feature that would be expected to be retained in sharing, given its normalcy within the evernote organizational infrastructure.  

so unless there is some major technical reason it cant be done, I don't see why we should have to keep begging for it.

I agree 100% :-)

thumbs up :-)

+1 for shared stacks

I can't see why this is such a big issue to change.

A Stack is a container of notebooks in the same way a notebook is a container of notes.

Surely it doesn't require a huge re-coding effort to use the same structure for both.

• Level 5*

One of the easiest things to do is to say how easy it would be for someone else to do something that you want. THat being said, this might well be technologically "easy"; however, there are other factors that can apply when considering which features to add to Evernote. This may be on the list behind other features that they want to add more. For example; now that reminders are available on Android (in beta), you can probably bet that there will be a push to add them to other clients.

• Like 1

Seconding dwspivack above, I am a new user and wanted to share stacks almost immediately. While I can understand tags as a great nonlinear, nonhierarchical tool, organizing into notebooks and stacks increases the overall readability.

Or put another way, if I was the only user, I'd be fine with relying mostly on tags. But I want to share notes as a training tool for my team; I'm afraid the notes might not be as readable without the file tree style organization.

• Level 5*

Seconding dwspivack above, I am a new user and wanted to share stacks almost immediately. While I can understand tags as a great nonlinear, nonhierarchical tool, organizing into notebooks and stacks increases the overall readability.

Or put another way, if I was the only user, I'd be fine with relying mostly on tags. But I want to share notes as a training tool for me team; I'm afraid the notes might not be as readable without the file tree style organization.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. I agree that the current system is not ideal, especially when others are unfamiliar with Evernote. One solution is to change the created date of a "table of contents" note to something far in the future (this will move it to the top in the default settings on the Web) and put note links to all of the notes in your notebook. Because you can arrange things in any order you like, with indents and the like, it makes the notebook very easy to navigate.

I agree... the time has come to implement sharing stacks... i have 1 stack with over 37 notebooks in it... there is no reason i should need to invite on a per notebook basis.... 

additionally, Evernote needs to start looking at implementing SuperStacks, where an additional level in the hierarchy can be implemented for additional organisational efficiencies....

• Level 5*

Hi - welcome to the forums.  Stacks hold notebooks, and you could have a 'home' stack of several notebooks and a 'work' stack of different notebooks.  The only problem is you can't share a stack,  you have to choose the individual notebook(s).  If that doesn't cover what you need,  trust me: Evernote aren't going to tell you when (or if ever) they'll get around to it.

• Like 1

Hello all.

I have been a EN user for a good two years now and would like to know if there is any method for me to share a root stack?

My query comes as I have a group of users who all need the same access rights. At present, I need to share each notebook to that individual list of users - and again when a new notebook is created under the stack.

If I could just share the stack then the permissions would be applied once and then all those users would get the changes/additions.

Does anyone else have this query and if so, is there a method to make a feature request to the Evernote developers?

Hello all.

I have been a EN user for a good two years now and would like to know if there is any method for me to share a root stack?

My query comes as I have a group of users who all need the same access rights. At present, I need to share each notebook to that individual list of users - and again when a new notebook is created under the stack.

If I could just share the stack then the permissions would be applied once and then all those users would get the changes/additions.

Does anyone else have this query and if so, is there a method to make a feature request to the Evernote developers?

No. Stacks cannot be shared.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/18364-request-sharing-of-stacks/

ahem!

Sharing Stack - Its a YES from me!

This would be soooooo helpful

Having posted a forum entry today (june 2013) and then discovering this thread thereafter I cannot believe this was being cryed out for back in 2011.

As head of IT dept for a large research company, I use Evernote (separate account) at my organisation with Business features, we have about 45 staff with associated business accounts and this is one feature that would GREATLY improve our usability of the product.

To be quite honest, if it wasnt for this limitation, then I would expect we'd probably have pushed though out to the rest of our UK territory and European affiliates by now if it hadnt been for this limitation - this would be hemiraging 400+ users.

Please consider this my official feature request for stack sharing!

• Like 1

Hi! I purchased a premium account, I need to share stacks but I can't. I see that other people also want to have this option and that they have asked you this for the first time about a year ago. Please solve this problem asap, that is too much time for such a problem.   

• Level 5*

It's not a problem,  it's was/ is a user suggestion that Evernote have not yet found the time (or the inclination) to implement.  Since it's their ball,  they get to choose the rules.  Meantime sharing works for notebooks and notes,  but stacks - no.

• Like 1