(Archived) Clipper not working with Gmail again

Perfect Faro

I had not realized this was an issue till I tried today to clip two Gmails.  All I get is the email Title and the Sender.  No other content.

Funny; I'd swear I clipped a similar Gmail two weeks ago and it worked great.

Hope they can fix this soon.

I have exactly the same problem. And yes: it was working as recently as last week. Unfortunately, they don't seem able to keep the clipper functioning properly. I don't know if in trying to fix the myriad problems it has, they continually introduce new ones, but this has been one of the most disastrous new product roll-outs I've ever seen.

Lighten up, "Perfect" Faro.  Frankly, Evernote is the best thing since sliced bread--including the Web Clipper, and it's even giving sliced bread a run for its money. I can't imagine my life without Evernote, and the dev team at Evernote is doing a superlative job, despite this issue.

That said, I am experiencing the same problem with Gmail, jbignert.  What can I do to help?  Would an application log be of any benefit?

Lighten up, "Perfect" Faro.  Frankly, Evernote is the best thing since sliced bread--including the Web Clipper, and it's even giving sliced bread a run for its money. I can't imagine my life without Evernote, and the dev team at Evernote is doing a superlative job, despite this issue.

That said, I am experiencing the same problem with Gmail, jbignert.  What can I do to help?  Would an application log be of any benefit?

Get REAL .. "Christopher Zenner" .  

It's a business tool and it's expected to work.   If one gets in the habit of saving emails to Evernote and you don't realize its not working suddenly you've lost many important emails you need to follow up on costly you thousands.   Evernote is good true but buggy as hell AND no where close to sliced- bread level.  

So, we've all come to rely on our Evernote and companion products to work flawlessly. 

And when they stop working, yes, it is inconvenient. And it is frustrating.

However, let's all take a deep breath and realize, they are aware of the problem and are working to fix it.

How many vendors are either a) unwilling to acknowledge there being a problem; B) willing to actively try and fix it?

They had the bug before, they thought they fixed it, and it has come back.  That's just part of life.

Now, with all of the other great features of the web clipper still working, why no take a snapshot? Include to much? Crop it.

Is it not exactly like the function that is suppose to be working? No. Does it come pretty close? Yes.

Thanks for the great work on a product we have come to realize we have a hard time living without when it stops working as it should.

Also not working for me. I have been a vocal critic of the new clipper simply because I lost the ability to tab through all of my options and do advanced clip tagging and selection from my keyboard. The new clipper took that away from me. Even though I do admire the concept, it definitely became more clunky. The new iPad app also had a decrease in productivity speed. But that being said, this is like when the power goes out and you have to get out candles and flashlights and then get all nostalgic. 

Then you say things like "remember when the Evernote Web Clipper couldn't clip to Gmail and you ALWAYS had to forward to your Evernote email?

Jbignert, can I have the old one back while you work on the new one please? :D

Also, Gmail scripting is notoriously uncertain to work with. Any Remember the Milk user knows this as well with the Gmail integration fitfully starting and stopping. When you have a user base the size of Google's, you can pretty much do anything you want. Like arbitrarily change the way your UI interacts with other things. Then the 3rd party vendors are scrambling to react.

But for those advocating for Gmail control laws, you can pry my Gmail account (and my Evernote account) away from my cold, dead hands :).

So, we've all come to rely on our Evernote and companion products to work flawlessly. 

And when they stop working, yes, it is inconvenient. And it is frustrating.

However, let's all take a deep breath and realize, they are aware of the problem and are working to fix it.

How many vendors are either a) unwilling to acknowledge there being a problem; B) willing to actively try and fix it?

They had the bug before, they thought they fixed it, and it has come back.  That's just part of life.

Now, with all of the other great features of the web clipper still working, why no take a snapshot? Include to much? Crop it.

Is it not exactly like the function that is suppose to be working? No. Does it come pretty close? Yes.

Thanks for the great work on a product we have come to realize we have a hard time living without when it stops working as it should.

Someone gunning for evernote groupie of the year?  I run a business I expect my products to work and any software company I work with acknowledges bugs so not sure why the fanboy statements for something that should be done in first place.  Bottom line this should work and stay fixed and there is a management or talent issue with this portion of the product.  Also your solution for snap shot is off base.  Snap shot context are not searchable thus the point of clipper. 

Also, Gmail scripting is notoriously uncertain to work with. Any Remember the Milk user knows this as well with the Gmail integration fitfully starting and stopping. When you have a user base the size of Google's, you can pretty much do anything you want. Like arbitrarily change the way your UI interacts with other things. Then the 3rd party vendors are scrambling to react.

But for those advocating for Gmail control laws, you can pry my Gmail account (and my Evernote account) away from my cold, dead hands :).

I also can name many gmail add ons that work with only a 24 hr hiccup when Google makes a change.  Evernote apparently can't handle it.  They should be able to adapt quickly or drop the feature. As mother said if you can't stand the heat get the hell out of the way. 

I also can name many gmail add ons that work with only a 24 hr hiccup when Google makes a change.  Evernote apparently can't handle it.  They should be able to adapt quickly or drop the feature. As mother said if you can't stand the heat get the hell out of the way. 

TampaKev,

You're absolutely right. I don't recommend my business clients head to Evernote for Business specifically for these reasons (I run a KM and productivity consulting practice). Also, the vast majority of people are free users, and my philosophy on anything free is that you have no right to complain if it don't work. But I am a premium user, I pay for the service, and I do expect it to work properly. 

Evernote must have hired Jody Ives as their new designer, because nearly all product rollouts have been UI and experience based, vs substantive performance improvements. This started with the Evernote 5 rollout for Mac that (nearly) killed my Secret Weapon workflow. The iPad version for IOS 7 is the same way. Both products look better, but have actually gotten harder to use. 

When Apple rolled out IOS7, there was next to no real improvement beyond a basic quick access bar with some basic functions. Android had had that forever already. All they really did was change the icons and the way you scroll through screens and in the same vein all Evernote has really done is to overlay prettier interfaces and more buttons over their original product. Clipping from gmail was nice, but because the core number of steps it took me to do it was WAY longer than forwarding, it was actually a step backwards. The end result is that the core functionality of Evernote (save stuff quickly for later) and tagging (proper indexing) have both gotten harder. I'm all for improving the UI - nothing wrong with an improved visual experience. However, Evernote continues to do it at the expensive of their core functionality, and that often results in alienation of their hardcore userbase. I hope the next few iterations of their products focus on functionality vs image, because if not, for the first time in many moons, I very well may question my unwavering dedication to the product (although, to be fair, thats highly unlikely). 

TampaKev,

You're absolutely right. I don't recommend my business clients head to Evernote for Business specifically for these reasons (I run a KM and productivity consulting practice). Also, the vast majority of people are free users, and my philosophy on anything free is that you have no right to complain if it don't work. But I am a premium user, I pay for the service, and I do expect it to work properly. 

Evernote must have hired Jody Ives as their new designer, because nearly all product rollouts have been UI and experience based, vs substantive performance improvements. This started with the Evernote 5 rollout for Mac that (nearly) killed my Secret Weapon workflow. The iPad version for IOS 7 is the same way. Both products look better, but have actually gotten harder to use. 

When Apple rolled out IOS7, there was next to no real improvement beyond a basic quick access bar with some basic functions. Android had had that forever already. All they really did was change the icons and the way you scroll through screens and in the same vein all Evernote has really done is to overlay prettier interfaces and more buttons over their original product. Clipping from gmail was nice, but because the core number of steps it took me to do it was WAY longer than forwarding, it was actually a step backwards. The end result is that the core functionality of Evernote (save stuff quickly for later) and tagging (proper indexing) have both gotten harder. I'm all for improving the UI - nothing wrong with an improved visual experience. However, Evernote continues to do it at the expensive of their core functionality, and that often results in alienation of their hardcore userbase. I hope the next few iterations of their products focus on functionality vs image, because if not, for the first time in many moons, I very well may question my unwavering dedication to the product (although, to be fair, thats highly unlikely). 

I agree .  Performance, bugs etc.  I am a lot less of fan than I once was and have been and will continue to look for alternatives. 

@TampaKevin,

I find your remarks snarky and otherwise biting. That's three (and counting) posts in this thread you've been cutting on other members. Did you need a hug? :D

And for the record, the snapshots placed into Evernote /are/ searchable. In fact, every snapshot I've ever put into Evernote, whether it is by clipping a portion of my screen on my Windows or Mac OS X computer or the screenshot taken in a browser.

Further, you assume that is something that Evernote has done with their clipper and not Google. Since the clipper wasn't upgraded or changed since it was working, you then must assume that the change introduced is beyond Evernote's ability to control, and they are having to adapt and adjust based on what another, independent company is doing.

@TampaKevin,

I find your remarks snarky and otherwise biting. That's three (and counting) posts in this thread you've been cutting on other members. Did you need a hug? :D

And for the record, the snapshots placed into Evernote /are/ searchable. In fact, every snapshot I've ever put into Evernote, whether it is by clipping a portion of my screen on my Windows or Mac OS X computer or the screenshot taken in a browser.

Further, you assume that is something that Evernote has done with their clipper and not Google. Since the clipper wasn't upgraded or changed since it was working, you then must assume that the change introduced is beyond Evernote's ability to control, and they are having to adapt and adjust based on what another, independent company is doing.

I enjoy a hug as much as the next person but in this case I'm looking for a working product.  So are you the official excuse excuse excuse voice for evernote cause it doesn't cut it.  Everyone that gets in the Gmail game knows change goes with the territory.  My guess the delay may be Evernote can't decide if they want to continue playing.     

@TampaKevin,

Oh yeah.  AND  "PAGE CAMERA" in android hasn't worked for a loooooooonnnnnng time.  I started evernote for receipts on the road and rolled out to my employees now now one can use it for this feature and evernote has done nothing to fix it.  So are you going to blame this one on Google too?

If you don't believe me page camera issue  http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/37096-page-camera-just-not-working/page-2

BOTTOM LINE. EVERNOTE is sloppy buggy across the board. 

@TampaKevin,

Well, I see the weekend did little to rectify your disposition.

And you know what? Since the Android platform is owned by Google, I guess I could blame it not working on that platform on Google, if I so chose.

You know what though? This is America! You don't like something, guess what? YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE IT. You can choose to use something else. You can pick a different software platform. Or, better yet, you can start your own software company and do it better, since you are apparently convinced that you can.

Fan boy? Maybe. Am I a big advocate for Evernote? You bet. Do I talk about it every chance I get with someone who hasn't heard of it or used it before? You bet. Does that mean I blindly think that Evernote can do no wrong or that they never make mistakes? No, I don't.

Am I ready to burn the Evernote elephant in effigy for every mistake that they make? No. Can I understand how frustrating it is when you come to rely on software and it stops working as expected? You bet! Am I frustrated about Evernote's web clipper's inability to clip my Google mail again? You bet! Am I ready to drive the proverbial bus over Evernote? No.

So, unless you have something positive or helpful to add, I humbly and politely request that you stop filling this thread with your tirade on Evernote's product and business.

This is Evernote's forum not yours and it is designed to elicit positive and negative comments.. at least I would hope your beloved evernote would want the negative ones as well.  I suggest if you don't like me issuing statements about breakdowns in Evernote products then turn off notifications.  You may be a bigger fanboy but I am assuming since I have multiple licences for employees I am a much bigger paying customer.... and in the end can you guess who they care about more.  

I humbling ask you stop making me nauseated with your passive aggressive bs comments.  

Paul says... You don't like something, guess what? YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE IT .. 

Guess what. I removed it from my phone and keeping one license when our service runs out for as an archive but will not renew the other 4 licenses.   Nice job you cost your beloved Evernote 4 licenses thanks to your good advice.  I would not recommend you go into sales because when you tell the client " you don't have to use it if you don't like it...   They won't .    

Cheers  Snarky 

@TampaKevin,

Well, I see the weekend did little to rectify your disposition.

And you know what? Since the Android platform is owned by Google, I guess I could blame it not working on that platform on Google, if I so chose.

You know what though? This is America! You don't like something, guess what? YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE IT. You can choose to use something else. You can pick a different software platform. Or, better yet, you can start your own software company and do it better, since you are apparently convinced that you can.

Fan boy? Maybe. Am I a big advocate for Evernote? You bet. Do I talk about it every chance I get with someone who hasn't heard of it or used it before? You bet. Does that mean I blindly think that Evernote can do no wrong or that they never make mistakes? No, I don't.

Am I ready to burn the Evernote elephant in effigy for every mistake that they make? No. Can I understand how frustrating it is when you come to rely on software and it stops working as expected? You bet! Am I frustrated about Evernote's web clipper's inability to clip my Google mail again? You bet! Am I ready to drive the proverbial bus over Evernote? No.

So, unless you have something positive or helpful to add, I humbly and politely request that you stop filling this thread with your tirade on Evernote's product and business.

• Level 5*

Yes the gmail clipping is currently unstable and we are working on it. Unfortunately it will not be a quick fix so we're sorry for the inconvenience it causes. 

Any update on this? It has been almost a week since first reported and it still only gets the header.

We are working on it. It's quite challenging, but we expect to have a new beta version soon.

Glad to hear you are working on it.  Please consider the frustration from a business perspective.  When you introduce the product, the business says "let's use this as a work flow or process",  the business implements and suddenly the option goes away.  It means 2 months of data entry are now locked in Evernote and need to be put into a new solution.  Evernote entered the business world time to step up. . Good luck with the solution.

RCBeall1:

Unfortunately, I tried that, and it seems that the old clipper now isn't working, either. Apparently, the problem has to do with Gmail changing something on their end, and Evernote lacking the technical wherewithal to make the necessary changes to get the web clipper to work.

• Level 5*

here's an idea...is there anyway we could download and use the old clipper for the time being?  It seemed to work just fine in terms of clipping content and emails and I would be fine with using it for the time being.

I was on the old clipper. Whatever Google changed, it broke both, and I doubt EN will crack open the old clipper code and fix it. I wish they would, but not counting on it.

• Level 5*

I use Harry's script from this page, but it seems to be down. I hope it is just momentary and he hasn't removed it.

http://www.harryonline.net/evernote/new-version-of-gmail-to-evernote-script/541

It is my backup to when EN's clipper dies, or I need to send and email I get to EN. I just move it to my Evernote folder/label in Gmail and it shows up in Evernote within 15min.

I'm just glad to know I'm not going crazy. It worked then it didn't. I thought I was going something.

On a side note: sliced bread took years to catch on and only did so because plastic made it possible to store the bread without drying out. 

I'm just glad to know I'm not going crazy. It worked then it didn't. I thought I was going something.

On a side note: sliced bread took years to catch on and only did so because plastic made it possible to store the bread without drying out. 

Yup.  And Without these "Features" Working such as clipping or page shot in the Android app etc evernote really has nothing to offer over Google Keep for example which is what I am using now until things get fixed and liking the android app so much I might not go back other than keep one license as an archive.

Let me know as well.  I feel the same way . Our company moved processes into Evernote based on some features like "Clipping" but you never know when it goes down so we've lost faith in reinvesting in Evernote as a tool .  If there is a good way to move stuff from Evernote to drive I'm in as well.  

As far as just a note tool with reminders which evernote still does well google "keep" does it as good and with a better lighter high performing android app.   

Finally I expect now that google has its own version of note in Google Keep that it's not going assist evernote in allowing it to easily apply evernote's features to the google platform. 

I agree that the issues are ridiculous. Google products never have as many bugs for this long. I loved Evernote and I mistakenly invested so much into it. Does anyone know of the least painful way to import all Evernote info back to Google Drive? I'm just gonna stick with that for documents and keep for reminders. Google search is more powerful anyway and I am so tired of waiting for Evernote to constantly "fix" everything.

Steps to exporting to google docs

I agree that the issues are ridiculous. Google products never have as many bugs for this long. I loved Evernote and I mistakenly invested so much into it. Does anyone know of the least painful way to import all Evernote info back to Google Drive? I'm just gonna stick with that for documents and keep for reminders. Google search is more powerful anyway and I am so tired of waiting for Evernote to constantly "fix" everything.

Steps to exporting to google docs

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/move-evernote-files-google-docs-46746.html

• Level 5*

Yes, but once they made sliced bread, they didn't make a lot of changes, like cutting it longitudinally, putting the plastic inside the bread, etc. They found a formula that worked and stuck with it.

We are working on it. It's quite challenging, but we expect to have a new beta version soon.

Do you think your solution will also fix the problems with clipping images from Gmail? Those are only visible on the same machine on which they are clipped. Other computers or Apps will not show the image, not even when also logged in to Gmail.

Please see my tickets on this one: 

Ticket #14345 Ticket #16051-269927

And posting:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/29059-images-have-become-broken-links—please-help/#entry194787

Best regards,

Maik

• Level 5*

I'd really like to give PowerBot another go, but I just cannot stomach the pricing. $1.99 per month seems a bit steep to me for just this functionality. That is almost as much as a full year of Evernote Premium. That is a very VERY high cost for an accessory product.

I guess you get what you pay for. Oh, wait, we are paying in the mid-3 figures each month for business accounts.

Plus, last time I tried it, they added so much HTML to the note the clipped notes were uneditable on mobile devices and looked like c.r.a.p on my PC.

• Level 5*

I use the script that I posted about in this thread as a backup. I need only tag an email with EVERNOTE and it gets forwarded. The advantages are:

• automatic. tag and forget it
  • it doesn't keep a copy in your SENT ITEMS folder
  • it doesn't have FWD: in the subject or indent the original message
  • Free
  • Works on mobile devices since I only need to move emails to the EVERNOTE tag/label folder. I use the Gmail app and the default iOS email app.

Disadvantages

• Timed. I have mine set to every 15min. You can set it to run more often, but I found at every 5min, Google would throw script errors.
  • It only captures the LAST email in a thread. So if someone emails you something and you tag it EVERNOTE, then you reply to that thread BEFORE the script runs, your reply is what gets sent to EN, not the original message.

For me, as someone who was hoping that Evernote could help me integrate my email and task list, not having a reliable clipper for Gmail is a non-starter. The only explanation for it to be broken for this long is that they aren't prioritizing it over other development initiatives. And if they don't think it is a big deal for it to be broken, then that tells me I shouldn't rely on it for my day-to-day business process. For me to use Evernote as my GTD platform, having a 99.9% reliable clipper for Gmail is an absolute requirement. This is the end of the 3rd business week for which the clipper has been non-functional. Who knows if they are even working on it?

• Level 5*

For me, as someone who was hoping that Evernote could help me integrate my email and task list, not having a reliable clipper for Gmail is a non-starter. The only explanation for it to be broken for this long is that they aren't prioritizing it over other development initiatives. And if they don't think it is a big deal for it to be broken, then that tells me I shouldn't rely on it for my day-to-day business process. For me to use Evernote as my GTD platform, having a 99.9% reliable clipper for Gmail is an absolute requirement. This is the end of the 3rd business week for which the clipper has been non-functional. Who knows if they are even working on it?

I believe they said they weren't going to fix it per se, but were working on an entirely new version of it so it wouldn't be as finicky with Gmail as the current implementation has been, so that takes a while.

I am in the same boat you are in though, it is tough not having it. I use Gmail, EN and GTD as well.

I believe they said they weren't going to fix it per se, but were working on an entirely new version of it so it wouldn't be as finicky with Gmail as the current implementation has been, so that takes a while.

I am in the same boat you are in though, it is tough not having it. I use Gmail, EN and GTD as well.

It's just become to unreliable to trust for business.  If it's not one thing that's broke its another and the cycle repeats.  I'm transitioning away.

• Level 5*

It's just become to unreliable to trust for business.  If it's not one thing that's broke its another and the cycle repeats.  I'm transitioning away.

You certianly need to do what you need to do, but you do recall that the Gmail clipper has only been available since June, so it isn't like this has been going on for years. They decided they didn't do a good job, so are starting from scratch.

I am not defending its suckage, and I personally strongly dislike the current clipper, Gmail functionality or not. It is big, slow, intrusive, and bloated compared to the tight little clipper that it just replaced, but neither the old clipper nor the new one support Gmail right now. I know, I stuck with the old clipper until it broke 3 weeks ago.

I am hoping in starting from scratch, they also fix the awful UI the new one has.

What's so frustrating about all of this is that they had a perfectly good version of the clipper that worked fine; then, they created this monstrosity that was broken from day one, and expected everyone to get all excited about the "new features." Well, new features are great if your product works; if it doesn't, then you just look like an idiot. The worst part was that it took them so long to recognize that there was a problem, and set their "moderators" to berate and belittle anyone who had the temerity to complain about in the forums. Both the clipper and the Windows version of the desktop client are screwed up, but instead of admitting as much and rolling back to the working versions, they've pretended that they've got a handle on things and are working to fix it. The length of time it's already taken without a fix proves that they aren't up to the task. They need to either shell out the money to get some real programmers working on their products, or scale back their ambitions on the "features" they want to introduce, because their current team clearly can't handle it.

You certianly need to do what you need to do, but you do recall that the Gmail clipper has only been available since June, so it isn't like this has been going on for years. They decided they didn't do a good job, so are starting from scratch.

I am not defending its suckage, and I personally strongly dislike the current clipper, Gmail functionality or not. It is big, slow, intrusive, and bloated compared to the tight little clipper that it just replaced, but neither the old clipper nor the new one support Gmail right now. I know, I stuck with the old clipper until it broke 3 weeks ago.

I am hoping in starting from scratch, they also fix the awful UI the new one has.

Please re-read "if its not one thing its another" not just the clipper for example on a brand new high end android phone the camera scan mode stopped working.  Frankly they have unreliable products.  It's all good and great they are trying to fix but the track record ..  across the board for reliability is weak.  If you had a car that broke down this much you'd cut your losses, sell and move on. 

I use Clipper with gmail on my home computer and also in my office desktop. It works faultlessly at home but I have been unable to have the Clip tab to show on my office version. I have tried the win+ A keystrokes option but only get a partial save of the content. When it works it is great so I hope the Techie guys can bang this bug into oblivion sometime soon. :wacko:

The Gmail thing is just really weird: I suspect that there's something else going on besides technical issues. A change in how Gmail handles things shouldn't take this long to fix, unless Gmail is deliberately keeping Evernote in the dark and is no longer sharing its technical specs with the company. From my own experience with the company and after seeing how dismissively and arrogantly the company's representatives treats its paying customers, it's quite possible that someone from the company did something to piss off Google, and that's why they no longer have access to the tech info necessary to get clipping working again. That's the problem with a negative corporate culture: it can carry over in ways that you don't foresee, and have an impact beyond what you might have anticipated.

The Gmail thing is just really weird: I suspect that there's something else going on besides technical issues. A change in how Gmail handles things shouldn't take this long to fix, unless Gmail is deliberately keeping Evernote in the dark and is no longer sharing its technical specs with the company. From my own experience with the company and after seeing how dismissively and arrogantly the company's representatives treats its paying customers, it's quite possible that someone from the company did something to piss off Google, and that's why they no longer have access to the tech info necessary to get clipping working again. That's the problem with a negative corporate culture: it can carry over in ways that you don't foresee, and have an impact beyond what you might have anticipated.

Google has always going far and above to support our company licences and products. Google is not a petty company that is going to withhold something because someone made them mad .. That's small thinking and never observed that with Google.  Also sounds like you can not stand Google so why do you use the product.  Like me moving on from evernote you should do the same with Google .   OOOOF

TampaKevin: Your reading comprehension skills could use some work. I actually really like Google; it's Evernote I have the problem with, which should have been obvious from what I wrote. Whatever, you can make whatever erroneous assumptions you want. I was just speculating as to why something that EVERY other company who interfaces with Gmail has been able to figure out in a matter of days has eluded Evernote for weeks; it just seems really strange that they can't get it working again, and I was simply pointing out that Evernote has a track record of being insulting and dismissive of its users, and maybe does the same thing to its partners. I have no evidence of this, of course, but I'm free to speculate about it, right? Just as you're free to make weird assumptions of what I like and don't like.

I was having the same problems as everyone else with the web clipper and as a result I looked around for something else to use. Not just because of the web clipper but more because of the woeful customer service from EN.

I was a Premium User with over 2500 notes, many of which I use for business, but I have cancelled the Premium subscription and I'm in the process of switching everything over to Diigo.

In many respects Diigo does the same as EN, in some ways it does it better, the web clipper works fine, you can create new folders/lists on the fly, there is a very good and working phone app, and best of all their customer service is very good. 

It seems they have support scattered around the world so no matter what time of day or night you contact them someone seems to get back pretty quickly...and not on a forum but by personal e-mail.

I ran Diigo alongside EN for about a week but soon found that Diigo does everything I want. Amongst other things it can cache webpages very easily, tags work great with searches and generally it's very adaptable. It didn't take me long to sign up for a Premium account, which is slightly cheaper than EN.

EN would have to improve dramatically before I return to it.

Also, as someone has already stated on this thread, when Google make changes to their API most other apps get everything sorted in a couple of days. EN don't even seem to acknowledge that there is a major problem. Take a look at the comments on the Google Play Store about the clipper. There are very few satisfied people there.

Diigo is sooooo close to being where I want it. As soon as I can annotate and search within PDF files and documents that I can upload to my account, it will be complete. I save a lot of documentation to Evernote, so Diigo has to start offering uploads and some space for my data. I still am a very happy Evernote customer, but it's survival of the fittest this day and age. If someone would just find a way to combine the features of Evernote, Diigo and SpringPad, and keep the service and interface usable, I would be one very happy person.

@grberk Why not send an e-mail to the people at Diigo? They are very responsive and actively encourage people to suggest things to them. It might be that they are already working on what you need.

I e-mailed them to ask about sending my e-mails in HTML format directly to Diigo and my individual lists and within a week that feature had been rolled out. To be fair they were already working on it but hey...it seemed very good that I got what I wanted so quickly...:)

Do you think your solution will also fix the problems with clipping images from Gmail? Those are only visible on the same machine on which they are clipped. Other computers or Apps will not show the image, not even when also logged in to Gmail.

Please see my tickets on this one: 

Ticket #14345 Ticket #16051-269927

And posting:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/29059-images-have-become-broken-links—please-help/#entry194787

Best regards,

Maik

BUMP! This problem (also) still occurs...

• Level 5*

Failsafe way to clip gmail emails into Evernote:

Gmail to Evernote, a script by Harry Oosterveen

Been using it for over a year and the current version is easy to set up.

http://www.harryonline.net/evernote/send-google-mail-to-evernote/226

Never breaks, no matter what gmail and evernote do!

Best,

Lena

I definitly use this as my backup, but a clipper is faster as I don't have to wait for the sync to happen. Plus, the script always gets the last email in the thread, not the email you tag.

Hi all, just a note to say we have a new beta version with a rewritten Gmail clipping feature. Please see this post for details. It's for Chrome & Safari (and Opera)

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/48016-chrome-safari-clipper-beta-with-gmail-clipping-rewrite/

jbignert,

Thanks for putting out a fix to this problem.  However, as a premium user, I'm appalled at how little attention the bigger issue of releasing software that doesn't work as advertised is receiving (your comment seems to be single-issue oriented, without any consideration for the bigger picture here).  For example,  how do we know it won't break again in the next release?  Why was there an "Email" link in Web Clipper, if it didn't even come close to working (hint: if it doesn't work, don't put it on the user interface)?  Of what use is your "beta" release, if there was such a major oversight in the final release?

Also, why do you advertise a hierarchy for tags, but when you actually go to create that hierarchy in your windows software, you find the link saying "Create Tag in X" some of the time when right clicking on X, but it saying "Create Tag..." at other times, with no rhyme or reason for why "Create Tag..." can't be "Create Tag in X".  And then when you try to move all the stuff created at the top level from clicking "Create Tag..." on X into X (where it should've been in the first place), you realize that the shift key doesn't work like it works in every other piece of windows software and you have to control click to select each of the ten entries you created to move them all into X.

The buttons in your software promise a lot, but deliver very little -- especially considering that Evernote is advertised as productivity software and most of the time it's being used is spent either in angst about it potentially not working, figuring out why it's not working the way it should be, or working around the bugs.  It's impossible to establish habits around evernote or use it in a reliable fashion if stuff breaks with every release -- and in my opinion, that really puts some pretty hard limits on it as a productivity tool, so unless I'm misunderstanding the purpose of evernote, reliability of features that previously worked and stable releases should be a top priority for you!

You guys really need to do something at an organizational level to deliver more reliable software and to make sure that the buttons in your software properly perform the action they're labelled with and communicate what you're doing on that front to your premium users, at least one of whom feels like he's not getting what he paid for.  

@psherm85 I agree with everything that you have said about Evernotes woeful customer service with regard to this issue and for issuing software that quite clearly doesn't work.

They obviously don't care as long as they are getting peoples money. I was a Premium user...but not any more. In fact I have know gone one step further and I'm in the process of moving everything to Diigo which does pretty much the same as EN....and their customer service is in a different world to EN's.

I always use to tell people how good EN was but not anymore. To my mind they have got too big for their boots and implements changes just for iCandy and not because it actually helps anyone.

A hell of a lot of people use EN to help run their businesses and they are being let down very badly by EN at the moment. It could even be losing people money or God forbid, their entire business.

EN need to get a grip on reality and sort all the problems out that they have currently or mark my words they won't be a 100 year business as Phil Libin wants but a very quick to die business.

You know, I find it amusing.

After all the hemming and hawing about this topic, and the strong endorsement that came for PowerBot to use in lieu of EN web clipper, guess what...

Looks like PowerBot is having the SAME PROBLEM with clipping from gmail.

Things that make you go "Hmmmmmmmm!"

After all the hemming and hawing about this topic, and the strong endorsement that came for PowerBot to use in lieu of EN web clipper, guess what...

Whats a Powerbot and who cares.  I pay Evernote to provide the service promised at contract sign.  I find it amusing that some fanboys will try to spin anything. 

• Level 5*

Whats a Powerbot and who cares.  I pay Evernote to provide the service promised at contract sign.  I find it amusing that some fanboys will try to spin anything. 

You are paying Evernote for the Premium services. all of the other stuff, like Clipper, Penultimate, Food, Hello, Skitch, etc. are not part of that deal. And what contract did you sign? I pay over $300 a month for EN business and I didn't sign anything.

• Level 5*

EdH:

So, what you're saying is, you have poor decision making skills and are bad with money?

No. I am saying I have critical reading skills and don't make stuff up as I go along.

You are paying Evernote for the Premium services. all of the other stuff, like Clipper, Penultimate, Food, Hello, Skitch, etc. are not part of that deal. And what contract did you sign? I pay over $300 a month for EN business and I didn't sign anything.

Sorry DB ,  Let me clarify when I agreed to terms of payment for 6 licenses. Same difference but if that's all you got for defense than DB applies

• Level 5*

Sorry DB ,  Let me clarify when I agreed to terms of payment for 6 licenses. Same difference but if that's all you got for defense than DB applies

The TOS I agreed to has this clause in it.

(B) EVERNOTE DOES NOT WARRANT THAT (i) THE SERVICE WILL MEET ALL OF YOUR REQUIREMENTS; (ii) THE SERVICE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE OR ERROR-FREE; OR (iii) ALL ERRORS IN THE SOFTWARE OR SERVICE WILL BE CORRECTED.

Did you sign a different one? And who is DB?

The TOS I agreed to has this clause in it.

( B) EVERNOTE DOES NOT WARRANT THAT (i) THE SERVICE WILL MEET ALL OF YOUR REQUIREMENTS; (ii) THE SERVICE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE OR ERROR-FREE; OR (iii) ALL ERRORS IN THE SOFTWARE OR SERVICE WILL BE CORRECTED.

Did you sign a different one? And who is DB?

Example of bad parenting creating dysfunctional adult.  

• Level 5*

TRANSLATION: "Hey, we never promised that the service you contracted would actually work!" So, I guess WE'RE the idiots for having paid for it, right?

Yup. But most software has that. Very few have specific uptime levels and guarantee of specific features. For that, you generally need to be a big corp negotiating a big contract, not some schlep paying $50 for some web service.

Yup. But most software has that. Very few have specific uptime levels and guarantee of specific features. For that, you generally need to be a big corp negotiating a big contract, not some schlep paying $50 for some web service.

Grasping for straws today huh EdH

TRANSLATION: "Hey, we never promised that the service you contracted would actually work!" So, I guess WE'RE the idiots for having paid for it, right?

It may be true that most software has that, but very few companies have a user base that tries to defend the product by pointing it out. Evernote is the only company I've ever encountered where "evangelists" and fanboys actually make the company look worse.

It may be true that most software has that, but very few companies have a user base that tries to defend the product by pointing it out. Evernote is the only company I've ever encountered where "evangelists" and fanboys actually make the company look worse.

Totally agree. Evernote Fanboys will use the lowest common denominator like " Terms of service say we don't guarantee anything" to defend lousy builds.  Ed's grabbing to make up for lost love from his childhood. 

• Level 5*

I'm not defending the company. I just don't see where Evernote is violating their contract with you as has been claimed by multiple people in this thread.

If you want to make stuff up and then claim you've been wronged, then please, by all means, do so. I know that is much more fun than reality.

And if you and TampaKevin need to personally insult me to feel better about yourself, then, again, continue to do so. Happy to help your self esteem.

If I've posted anything factually inaccurate, please point that out. But again, that isn't as much fun as making stuff up.

• Level 5*

Totally agree. Evernote Fanboys will use the lowest common denominator like " Terms of service say we don't guarantee anything" to defend lousy builds.  Ed's grabbing to make up for lost love from his childhood. 

I never defended a lousy build. I've been, and continue to be, one of the most vocal critics of EN5, especially for business users. I just don't make stuff up by claiming they have violated their contract with me. They haven't. They just have a product that is a shadow of what EN4.x used to be.

I'm not defending the company. I just don't see where Evernote is violating their contract with you as has been claimed by multiple people in this thread.

If you want to make stuff up and then claim you've been wronged, then please, by all means, do so. I know that is much more fun than reality.

And if you and TampaKevin need to personally insult me to feel better about yourself, then, again, continue to do so. Happy to help your self esteem.

If I've posted anything factually inaccurate, please point that out. But again, that isn't as much fun as making stuff up.

Apparently ignorance is bliss.

Archived