Feature Request: Support for High Resolution Displays in Windows 8

anoddexperiment

Hello.  I just purchased a Yoga 2 Pro with a 3200x1800 resolution display, and Evernote works great, it just has some display errors due to the high resolution.  The labeling on attachments cannot be read easily since the boxes are too small for the text, and icons such as bold, italics, and underline are all extremely small.  I've attached a photo so it's easier to see what I mean.

post-157565-0-93814200-1382225334_thumb.

OT to your issue, but out of curiosity, what resolution are you two running your machines at?  Do these work like Mac retina displays and automatically upscale everything?  Otherwise running at native 3200 x 1800 with text size set to normal everything would be so small (on a display of this small size) as to be unreadable.  I'm just curious how these Lenovo's work.  I have to run my Apple retina 15" at 1920 x 1200 for windows (sure I could set it higher and constantly use zoom, but a lot of programs don't support zooming).  Running at 3200 x 1800 native on a 13", I'd need a magnifying glass to read anything. 

• Level 5*

I'm still confused - what does "not display properly on the Windows 8.1 desktop" mean?  I have an HD desktop and everything is miniscule because of that fact.  Most apps are hard to read.  I can however use two-finger swiping on the trackpad (it's not a touch screen) to bring any too-small windows up to a more reasonable when I need to.  Since I also connect to multi-screen HD monitors that are physically much bigger than my laptop monitor I can also move the image from one screen to another.

I also have a new Yoga 2 Pro with a 3200x1800 resolution.  As the others have noted, the Evernote (desktop version) display does not scale well at this resolution.  For example, if I create a note on the yoga 2 pro I have to increase the font considerably to make it readable, then if I open the note on another computer the font is too large.  When I open PDFs they scale fine, but text notes or web clips are too small on the high resolution display.  I hope there is some solution for this, as high resolution "retina" style displays are becoming increasingly common.

• 3 weeks later...

Same problem here.

Yoga Pro 2 on native 3200*1800 resolution. Evernote windows 5.0.3.1614.

There are a few different problems

- The icons and font selection dropdown box are too small. It's barely usable, but strange looking

- The font size in notes vary among different machines that have different scaling factor. In the case of Yoga 2 Pro, the scaling is 200%, my default note font looks okay, but all other fonts that come with the note itself are too small, but if you open the same note on a different computer with 100% scale setting, everything looks fine. 

Look at the market, high DPI screens are all over the place. Hope the dev team can make this a high priority thing, because your competitions don't have the same issue.

I'm still confused - what does "not display properly on the Windows 8.1 desktop" mean?  I have an HD desktop and everything is miniscule because of that fact.  Most apps are hard to read.  I can however use two-finger swiping on the trackpad (it's not a touch screen) to bring any too-small windows up to a more reasonable when I need to.  Since I also connect to multi-screen HD monitors that are physically much bigger than my laptop monitor I can also move the image from one screen to another.

If you read this review you'll see some apps support Windows 8.1 200% scaling and some do not.  Presumably Evernote should redesign their interface to implement 8.1 200% scaling support:

".

By far the biggest issue with the Lenovo’s display, however, is one of straightforward compatibility.

In everyday use, there aren’t too many issues. With Windows 8.1’s scaling settings set to 200%, text, icons and Windows menus are all sensibly sized, and applications such as Microsoft Office, or Internet Explorer, exhibit few side effects from the sheer number of pixels – text is beautifully crisp, and web content comes through with pin-sharp vibrancy.

Fire up third-party applications such as Adobe Photoshop CC, or Photoshop Elements, however, and you’re faced with unusably shrunken interfaces and pin-prick icons. At the other extreme, Xara’s Photo & Graphic Designer 9 simply enlarges every element of its interface, using four of the tiny physical pixels to create larger, virtual, onscreen pixels. While this does render the interface at a large-enough size to retain usable icons and legible menus, it also reduces the screen’s effective resolution, wasting the extra pixel density of the high-DPI display.

The truth is an awkward one for Windows devices: Windows is ready for high-DPI, but the applications aren’t. Apple’s MacBook Pros, on the other hand, are slowly gaining enough application support to make the most of Retina displays.

Read more: Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 2 Pro review | PC Pro http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/laptops/385510/lenovo-ideapad-yoga-2-pro/2#ixzz2lJNmsYdS"

• 2 weeks later...

same request here.

i just upgraded to a notebook with 3200 resolution - this leaves Evernote pretty much unusable:

1. All notes created on another client (e.g. Ipad) display the text under 3200 (WIn 8.1/ 200% scaling) incredibly small. > you have to change the text of the notes manually to 16/ 18 font size in order to make them readable.

2. the buttons for editing notes (e.g. font size) are scaled ti be unusable (see screenshot in the first post).

Is someone at Evernote aware of this and looking into this ??

Thanks a lot !!

• Level 5*

same request here.

i just upgraded to a notebook with 3200 resolution - this leaves Evernote pretty much unusable:

1. All notes created on another client (e.g. Ipad) display the text under 3200 (WIn 8.1/ 200% scaling) incredibly small. > you have to change the text of the notes manually to 16/ 18 font size in order to make them readable.

2. the buttons for editing notes (e.g. font size) are scaled ti be unusable (see screenshot in the first post).

Is someone at Evernote aware of this and looking into this ??

Thanks a lot !!

Thanks for the report.  Evernote do read forum postings,  so they'll be generally aware that there's an issue here and no doubt it's in a roadmap somewhere to deal with resolution issues.  The best way to give feedback however is to go through the support ticket route,  which also deals with feedback and feature requests.  

Bummer! I was seriously looking at the Yoga 2 Pro for my next laptop purchase. To the Yoga 2 Pro owners, would this resolution issue be enough of a deterrence for someone like me who is heavily reliant on EN desktop to not purchase this laptop? Thanks.

I will keep the Yoga 2, although Evernote is my most used application besides web browser.

I am using resolution 2048*1152 with 125% scaling, because of Evernote and Chrome's problem dealing with 200% scaling.

I hope Evernote can fix this soon. The biggest problem is the font size inconsistency across different computers. A font size 12 on a 100% scale computer, if read on a 125% scale computer, will be converted to font size 8 or 10 in Evernote, and if you open the note on another computer with scaling ratio 200%, the font size is 5 or 6.

This actually looks like some sort of bug instead of just a limitation of Evernote dealing with hi DPI.

Bummer! I was seriously looking at the Yoga 2 Pro for my next laptop purchase. To the Yoga 2 Pro owners, would this resolution issue be enough of a deterrence for someone like me who is heavily reliant on EN desktop to not purchase this laptop? Thanks.

• Level 5*

I have an HD laptop which sits on my desk with a 15.4" screen and two 24" HD monitors.  It's noticeable in that setup that font and window sizes far more acceptable on the bigger screens than the small one - although I can use the laptop happily when it's close up and personal.  I think the whole display scale issue is one that the IT industry hasn't quite gotten to grips with yet.

I will keep the Yoga 2, although Evernote is my most used application besides web browser.

I am using resolution 2048*1152 with 125% scaling, because of Evernote and Chrome's problem dealing with 200% scaling.

I hope Evernote can fix this soon. The biggest problem is the font size inconsistency across different computers. A font size 12 on a 100% scale computer, if read on a 125% scale computer, will be converted to font size 8 or 10 in Evernote, and if you open the note on another computer with scaling ratio 200%, the font size is 5 or 6.

This actually looks like some sort of bug instead of just a limitation of Evernote dealing with hi DPI.

I'm not familiar with the technical aspects of laptop displays, but does lowering the resolution fix it (or at least help with the Evernote issue)?

• Level 5*

I'm not familiar with the technical aspects of laptop displays, but does lowering the resolution fix it (or at least help with the Evernote issue)?

Do you have a local store that might let you try changing the resolution to see what that does to the rest of the display?  If it's your main working interface I'd say you need a bit of gold-standard due diligence here..

Do you have a local store that might let you try changing the resolution to see what that does to the rest of the display?  If it's your main working interface I'd say you need a bit of gold-standard due diligence here..

I was planning to buy the laptop online, but it does look like I may have to try that. Problem is, the store model won't have my EN desktop and database on it, so I don't know that it will give me an accurate picture of what it's going to be like.

• Level 5*

I get that,  but at least you'll be able to see whether you get BIG LETTERS in other displays which might be more annoying than squinty small ones in Evernote.  Presumably the browser version of Evernote will inherit the browser's ability to zoom in and out,  but you could check that if the laptop can at least get online - you could have a look at your account then.  I know my laptop's HD display was a bit of a shock once I got it on a desk - if I hadn't also got a much larger (in physical size) monitor or two,  I'd be looking at changing resolutions.  Mine are 1920x1080 and I need to sit a lot closer to the laptop screen to use that,  though I'm currently happy typing via the larger monitor which is 3ft or so away from me.

Resolution and the font scaling ratio are two independent settings, but in general, if you lower your resolution, say 1600*900, you normally will set down the scaling ratio, possibly 100%. If every computer you work on is on 100% scaling, you will have no problem.

Lowering resolution, however, degrades display quality. Ideally, everything in 3200*1800 resolution with 200% scaling will look about the same physical size as a resolution 1600*900 with 100% scaling, but the former is much sharper. Once you get used to 3200*1800, when you switch back to 1600*900, everything will look blurry and unpleasant.

Resolution and the font scaling ratio are two independent settings, but in general, if you lower your resolution, say 1600*900, you normally will set down the scaling ratio, possibly 100%. If every computer you work on is on 100% scaling, you will have no problem.

Lowering resolution, however, degrades display quality. Ideally, everything in 3200*1800 resolution with 200% scaling will look about the same physical size as a resolution 1600*900 with 100% scaling, but the former is much sharper. Once you get used to 3200*1800, when you switch back to 1600*900, everything will look blurry and unpleasant.

Thanks! That helps clear it up for me. I'm still inclined to get the Yoga 2 Pro. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's workable for me because using Evernote is 90% of the time I spend in front of the computer.

Hi all,

I just too the plunge and bought a Samsung ATIV Book 9 laptop at 3200x1800.

Evernote is just TERRIBLE, to the point of being unusable at a high DPI.

I am running everything at 225% scaling.

Microsoft Office Apps are perfect.  I have no problems with Excel, Word, Outlook or otherwise.

Evernote is HORRENDOUS.

Some of my notes are unreadable they are so small, and you can't even use the font size drop down.

Ironically, this web-based Window in which I typing this reply is perfect.  Everything looks great.

But as for Evernote, how extremely disappointing.

Even just resizing the windows was a complete pain, as I think I had one pixel of leeway to get the crosshairs.

Evernote - WHEN will you fix this?????????????  FYI I am a premium member, and pay each month for your app.

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Any word on an update to Evernote to support higher resolution screens?  I just bought a new Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro, and am having this major issue.  Works fine at lower resolutions.  

Considering there are more and more laptops/tablets with higher resolution (like the Lenovo and the Samsung Ativ 9), this really needs to be addressed ASAP!

• Level 5*

This was first raised as an issue a few weeks ago,  so I wouldn't expect a freshly baked solution just yet - these things take time even if Evernote started coding on day one.  Given that they also have ongoing bug fixes and existing features in development - and they don't typically talk about any of this stuff until it's launched - all we can do now is wait...

Just to pitch in: also a Yoga 2 Pro user here with an Evernote Premium account and very disappointed to see EN as the only application I use daily that does not scale well on this display.

Please fix this asap Evernote - thanks.

Hi all,

This is really getting frustrating.

The Windows Evernote app is absolutely USELESS on my new Samsung ATIV Book 9.

No matter how much you adjust the font sizing, or no matter how much you adjust the DPI (custom or not - but around 225% looks good for most apps), it's just an epic fail.

And we should point out that this is a problem with the Evernote application - not Windows.

Office 2013 apps (Outlook, Word, Excel), all look absolutely fine on the computer.

With Evernote, you cannot change the font sizes, as the drop down scroll bar covers the sizes...

...and as for the notes themselves, they are so tiny, they are usually unreadable.

Very disgusted that this is not yet fixed.  Epic fail on behalf of Evernote.

If you use Evernote on the web via a web browser, things look fine.

How much programming is REALLY required to get this fixed?

Not cool at all.  Evernote support was really not helpful AT ALL.

FYI this has somewhat been alluded to, but I believe the issue here is EN not playing nice with the scaling that takes place on your monitors.  i.e. it's not that EN can't run at high resolutions, it's that it can't be upscaled to high resolutions.  i.e. monitors that run at 3200x1800 but scale everything 2x so that the effective resolution is 1600 x 900.  Because right now I'm running EN at 3840 x 2160 with 0 issues, but that is with NO scaling.

Indeed, that is correct.

It's a scaling issue, not a resolution issue, per se.

On my desktop, of my six monitors, I have three 30" monitors across my desk @ 2560x1600 each, for a full resolution of 7680x1600.  Pretty huge!

I can use my Evernote flawlessly at this resolution, at 100% scaling.

On the new laptop, with a 13" screen, 100% scaling is not possible, as you would need a magnifying glass to see everything.

So, I just hope Evernote fixes this soon.  It's not exactly rocket science to get this to work.

Truly frustrating, especially since it's one of the apps I pay for.

Here is the official response from Evernote:

We apologize for the inconvenience, however it appears there is currently a bug causing this.
We appreciate you taking the time to send us this error. We have filed an internal bug report with the QA team lead. She will classify and fix the bugs in the order determined by the project Lead.
Unfortunately this is not something I can fix for you at this time.

Reassuring.

I violently agree with Law Guy

I have a Samsung ATIV Book9 + with a 3200 X 1900 screen. Evernote is USELESS on my HOT new laptop.

Evernote Touch sucks for now with its clunky unfriendly UI; so we need to see this fixed ASAP.

Google has a Hi DPI screen beta fix already out for Chrome. That has really improved my life. You can find it with this link. 

http://www.bit-101.com/blog/?p=3902

But I am screwed every time I try to read my notes.

HELP!!!!!

Ken

www.urqui.com

• 4 weeks later...

Not only was the text too small but my menus wouldn't show properly. I could only see the 1st digit of the font sizes, for example. 

I fixed it by setting the scaling to 125% - that seems to work independent of the resolution. On the screen where you choose the resolution, do this:

·        chose  Make Text and Other Items Larger or Smaller

·        Then CHECK Let me choose one scaline level for all my displays

·        Then the numbers show up – set it to Medium 125%

·        Then you have to log out and log in.

Text is still small when I have a high resolution, but the menus's work now. 

Thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately, 125% does not cut it on such a high-res, 13" monitor.

I have just stopped using Evernote for now.

Rather pathetic, if you ask me.

Most notes cannot be read altogether until I jack up the font size to about 20 or 30...

...but then it looks like ***** on my desktop and on my iDevices.

Really not cool of Evernote.

• 1 month later...

I also have a Yoga 2 pro. I emailed support to express my concern and see if they had any workarounds.  The initial solution, to change the resolution that Evernote runs in, did not work.  I feel a bit defeated over this one.  The only alternatives are to run the web client in a browser window, or to deal with the Windows 8 client. I love EN, and I love my new Yoga laptop, but I'm saddened that they don't get along.  :(

• 1 month later...

Just adding to the conversation: Please, please, please work on this quickly!  Adobe just released their fix (menu was so small in Adobe apps on my new Dell XPS 15 (3200 across)) it finally because usable.

All the work arounds are just that - "work arounds" and don't work all that well.  Need to keep the computer in native mode, the windows zoom features are a pain to use (trades poor interface for visual increase), and it's hard to use Evernote unless it gets updated.

Please don't wait to long, your early adopters are in need of this feature as the top end laptops are all 2500 - 3200 horizontal now!

Yep.  I've been checking updates frequently and hoping we don't have to wait much longer for a fix.  These display resolutions are becoming common now.  It's not just resolution though.  Don't bother trying to remote into someone's touch screen laptop with most of the screen sharing software in use today; the mouse pointer is off by about 2 inches.  Software companies seem to be struggling with these latest screen technologies in general. The ones that don't respond may end up falling out of favor. 

I just got my Yoga 2 Pro and am irked to discover this was thread was started almost 6 months ago with no solution released. I first tried the Touch version, but it won't let you print! I now have both the desktop and Touch versions installed to address the missing features in each, not to mention the web version. I'm also a premium user and am beginning to look at options for going back to OneNote at this point. It's very sad that so much time is spent pushing Evernote branded products to me when they're not keeping up with technology.

And where is Evernote's acknowledgment to this thread?

• Level 5*

I just got my Yoga 2 Pro and am irked to discover this was thread was started almost 6 months ago with no solution released. I first tried the Touch version, but it won't let you print! I now have both the desktop and Touch versions installed to address the missing features in each, not to mention the web version. I'm also a premium user and am beginning to look at options for going back to OneNote at this point. It's very sad that so much time is spent pushing Evernote branded products to me when they're not keeping up with technology.

Evernote don't typically comment on threads in the forum,  or on work they might already have in progress.  I'd imagine they have this in hand,  given the comments so far and the obvious popularity of the hi-def screens,  but that will be complicated by making the fix work in however many OS's are involved,  and maybe by the co-operation or otherwise of the other firms.  Then there will be some testing and bugfixing - and the question whether to release an update for this feature alone,  or get some more updates completed and included in the package.  It's not a quick process.

In the meantime individual users have a choice whether to stick with one solution or move to another in the interests of efficiency.

Evernote are in the wrong whatever they do - if they confirm this is in hand, we'll be pressing for a release date;  if they run into glitches before or after release we'll be more upset with their ineffiency,  and if they do release a fix we'll all be asking why it took so long.  I'd say 'no comment' is probably their safest bet... and it means they don't spend time arguing with us instead of doing the work.

As far as selling other stuff is concerned,  most other online sources shove similar deals and adverts all the time,  and as long as they don't require developers to stitch wallets I don't see it detracts from the features we're interested in...

Evernote don't typically comment on threads in the forum,  or on work they might already have in progress.  I'd imagine they have this in hand,  given the comments so far and the obvious popularity of the hi-def screens,  but that will be complicated by making the fix work in however many OS's are involved,  and maybe by the co-operation or otherwise of the other firms.  Then there will be some testing and bugfixing - and the question whether to release an update for this feature alone,  or get some more updates completed and included in the package.  It's not a quick process.

In the meantime individual users have a choice whether to stick with one solution or move to another in the interests of efficiency.

Evernote are in the wrong whatever they do - if they confirm this is in hand, we'll be pressing for a release date;  if they run into glitches before or after release we'll be more upset with their ineffiency,  and if they do release a fix we'll all be asking why it took so long.  I'd say 'no comment' is probably their safest bet... and it means they don't spend time arguing with us instead of doing the work.

As far as selling other stuff is concerned,  most other online sources shove similar deals and adverts all the time,  and as long as they don't require developers to stitch wallets I don't see it detracts from the features we're interested in...

I agree that fixes take time, and it's standard practice to avoid making promises in public about upcoming fixes or releases.  Several of us have come here to vent over a very frustrating "bug".  The concept of a screen with very high resolution graphics has existed for a few years now.  Companies, like Microsoft, Google, and now Adobe, have ensured that their applications are usable on these screens. 

I'll admit that I can use the webapp for some of my work (it's gotten much better over the last two years).  I love the Evernote clipper.  The syncing has been reliable 99% of the time.  Evernote is the only piece of software that I never think twice about paying for.  Most of us here in the forum are die-hard Evernote users. We promote the product to our friends and family.  The fact is, Windows users can not use Evernote's flagship product on a high resolution screen and Evernote has not yet released any plans or hinted at fixing this issue. That leaves us to wonder if Evernote cares enough about this issue, or if they just don't have the resources to correct this issue in a timely manner.  As long as they remain silent on the issue, frustrations will mount and trust in the brand will decrease.

Acknowledgment of the issue and a statement that it is being worked is the minimum acceptable from a company. I haven't seen either from them.

There is good news though:

I got the update to Windows 8.1 yesterday and was pleasantly surprised that it has made using Evernote Desktop a bit easier. The update has increased the magnification on at least some desktop apps. I have noticed a marked change in Chrome and Evernote. I'm honestly not sure about Microsoft Office apps. It's a bit of a mixed bag to me because I was comfortable with Chrome in the previous magnification, but the change with Evernote is welcome, if not perfect. The update makes it possible to read notes that were too tiny in the past. The editing tools and the font size drop-down, however, are still off and will require an update of Evernote to fix them.

Acknowledgment of the issue and a statement that it is being worked is the minimum acceptable from a company. I haven't seen either from them.

There is good news though:

I got the update to Windows 8.1 yesterday and was pleasantly surprised that it has made using Evernote Desktop a bit easier. The update has increased the magnification on at least some desktop apps. I have noticed a marked change in Chrome and Evernote. I'm honestly not sure about Microsoft Office apps. It's a bit of a mixed bag to me because I was comfortable with Chrome in the previous magnification, but the change with Evernote is welcome, if not perfect. The update makes it possible to read notes that were too tiny in the past. The editing tools and the font size drop-down, however, are still off and will require an update of Evernote to fix them.

Also, make sure to put a support ticket in for this issue so the number of affected users can be tracked.  It might help move the issue up a little. 

• 1 month later...

Is this ever going to be addressed?

It's June 2014 tomorrow, my check boxes are still unreadable (checked or not), the fonts are too small, please provide support to all notebooks, not just the mass cheap ones!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'll add my support to this thread - it would be REALLY good if Evernote would fix this, because my use of Evernote is seriously affected when using computers with high resolutions

I own a 3200x1800 resolution Yoga Pro 2 as well - and have the same issues as others report (I assume this is because the app isn't coping with 200% scaling used by default).

Ran into the same issue as well.  I am running windows 8.1 via boot camp on my MBP 13 Retina and the fonts and menu are unreadable.  After trying to resolve it and searching the threads, I'm disappointed to see that this request is still unresolved.  The touch version of Evernote takes away a lot of productivity.  I sure hope the desktop version gets fixed soon.

I would imagine that the fact that this hasn't been addressed is that they have Evernote Touch now for Windows 8.1 and therefore they don't want to develop for two platforms.  I'm stuck with a Windows Lenovo laptop for work, actually its a nice machine X1 Carbon, so I have to make this work. Even though my screen is touch I don't like using the touch applications because it slows me down between the keyboard and the screen.  Skitch is almost comical in how small it is and Evernote can be crazy small. I even noticed my older notes are sometime now in 6pt - that's not good for a pair of 49 year old eyes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As an alternative solution, I accessed the display settings on Windows 8.1 (Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Display) and set the Menu text size to 10 (on the section "Change only the text size").

Now Evernote is looking good on my full hd screen resolution.

Update: After setting font size to 10, I set it to 9 again to see the differences and strangely the aspect ratio was kept. :)

post-214845-0-24471500-1408233606_thumb.

This is getting OLD.

I may just give up on Evernote and the poor quality of Evernote's service and migrate to One Note

By the way; Microsoft One Note looks AWESOME on my 3200 X 1800 Ativ Book 9 Plus

Evenote Touch BLOWS! It is a non starter with its LAME and LIMITED functionality and CLUMSY UI.

I am a paying PREMIUM customer and yet I still cannot get the satisfaction of an honest and stright forward reply from anyone above the rank of mail room clerk at Evernote.

What happened to Phil Libin's honest and straight forward reply to Evernote's quality problems at the end of last year? Yes Phil you have improved the stability and quality but you still have to address the quality of your interactions with your customers and you are not listening to and replying to their input. We call it having a dialogue with your customers. Just ignoring your users is not my idea of providing quality. Is it yours? 

• Level 5*

I appreciate the frustrations - I've suggested a few things over the years that haven't happened yet - but it doesn't look like any answer from Evernote beyond "it's being released next week" is going to satisfy you.  It presumably isn't easy (in their view) for Evernote to fix this,  otherwise they would have done it already.  Evernote generally don't say things are in progress,  because that's 1) commercial information and 2) glitches do happen and maybe they won't be able to deliver.  The first you'll know is when a new version gets released - which could be tomorrow,  or maybe next year.  Meantime it looks like you either have to find a compromise or use something else.

me too. Evernote looks ugly on my Yoga 2 pro. Any news on the high def. support?

i have this problem from the first day i bought Lenovo Pro and this is more than a month ago.

It is terrible.

The people of evernote is giving me support but without any sucess 

+1 on this too.

Very frustrating to see this hasn't been addressed yet. Even a 2560 x 1440 monitor you can see the font rendering is not as good as when using high-res compatible apps (like Chrome finally released the Windows version this week). Really considering not renewing my Premium membership at the end of the year.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 too

Of all the apps that do not work well in Win 8 High Dpi (and there are many), the one I expected to be fine was Evernote with their Apple background.

I'm stunned that not only is it so bad but there seems no interest in improving it.

Great product, but let down badly in this area. In most cases, where a product is not supporting High DPI or at least working towards it, I'm looking for replacements. Really hoping I don't end up having to do that with Evernote. Def won't pay a Premium extension unless or until it's fixed.

• 4 weeks later...

Its been four months since my last post, time to start public awareness of this flaw in evernote, and evernote not addressing it.

Evernote is brutal to use on a high resolution display.  Time to start looking at other software options.

Have a 3200 display.  Fonts and other features such as check boxes are unable to be seen.

It's been 1/2 a year, any interest in using modern programming standards to know the display resolution you are displaying on?

Its been four months since my last post, time to start public awareness of this flaw in evernote, and evernote not addressing it.

Evernote is brutal to use on a high resolution display.  Time to start looking at other software options.

Have a 3200 display.  Fonts and other features such as check boxes are unable to be seen.

It's been 1/2 a year, any interest in using modern programming standards to know the display resolution you are displaying on?

Totally agree - I have many apps that are bad on High DPI, but Evernote is one of the worst.

Pretty much unusable

Been trying to make Evernote a part of my life system, but I too have a hi-res Ultrabook which make the app pretty painful to use.  This is keeping me from committing and going Premium.

What's the ETA on making the high res usable?

As others posted - I have a Premium account that I got free with something, but when it runs out I won't pay out money to a company that ignores it's users requests. I'm a business owner too, with employees. Great as Evernote is, and would be for them as a Business tool the same applies.

So if  anyone at Evernote is listening - you are costing yourselves money and customers here. Feel free to push us away to look for alternatives, but dont come crying if we do just that. When we're gone, we're gone

Submitted a support ticket a few days ago. As a premium user AND a business user we pay some decent money every month to Evernote. So now we invest in new high DPI hardware for our people and find that Evernote, (our most used collaboration tool btw) is useless on a PC. So much for efficiency........

Hard to believe that something so simple is taking so long.

Submitted a support ticket a few days ago. As a premium user AND a business user we pay some decent money every month to Evernote. So now we invest in new high DPI hardware for our people and find that Evernote, (our most used collaboration tool btw) is useless on a PC. So much for efficiency........

Hard to believe that something so simple is taking so long.

Hopefully as a paying customer your request will gain some traction

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that you are loosing a lot of premium users...

I am on Evernote since 2008 (premium since October 2010) and can´t use Evernote Desktop on my Yoga for months... :-(

SInce there is no idea from your side, I have to start testing a migration to OneNote

• 3 weeks later...

Sure enough, I got my Premium Renewal reminder today - my current subscription has expired.

Sadly, as useful as the tool is, I cannot bring myself to send them money when they completely ignore me as a user. I have a High DPI Windows laptop, and the product is unusable on my travels.

The day they fix that is the day I may pay to be a premium user again.

Windows 8.1 on Surface Pro 3

Tried increasing the font size on individual items (titles, icons, etc) using the control panel.  NOTHING will increase the size of the icons inside Evernote to a size that allows me to differentiate between different icons on the desktop version.

Evernote Touch doesn't work with stylus input nor does online version.

Windows 8.1 on Surface Pro 3

Tried increasing the font size on individual items (titles, icons, etc) using the control panel.  NOTHING will increase the size of the icons inside Evernote to a size that allows me to differentiate between different icons on the desktop version.

Evernote Touch doesn't work with stylus input nor does online version.

Yep - it's unusably bad on high DPI, and seemingly no interest in fixing that from Evernote. Disappointing

• Level 5*

Evernote might be working on a rewrite that will address this - they just won't (usually) say.  And despite frequent accusations of 'not caring' about pretty much everything that users have complained about over the years,  they've only once or twice (to my knowledge) tried to defend themselves.  It's a chicken/ egg thing - whatever Evernote say or do they'll get criticised,  but saying nothing at least means they don't tie up valuable resources that could be working on the problem in defending whatever they did say...

Evernote might be working on a rewrite that will address this - they just won't (usually) say.  And despite frequent accusations of 'not caring' about pretty much everything that users have complained about over the years,  they've only once or twice (to my knowledge) tried to defend themselves.  It's a chicken/ egg thing - whatever Evernote say or do they'll get criticised,  but saying nothing at least means they don't tie up valuable resources that could be working on the problem in defending whatever they did say...

A simple 'we've heard your request, and we're considering it' would at least show some interest in paying customers.

I got my 3rd renewal reminder for Premium today .... no lack of interest in my money, just a lack of interest in my needs.

Whilst battling a VMWare issue I stumbled across something that may help those suffering this issue.

If you find the EXE (Evernote.EXE), and then pull up Properties on it with Right-Click. There's a "Disable DPI Scaling" option on the Compatibility tab. It's not a perfect answer as it makes it massive, wasting a ton of screen space. But it might at least make it usable.

Thanks for the tip RobW. I tried it but it didn't seem to have any effect.

This would be a nice update for when Evernote decides to overhaul their Windows App.

Darn, sorry to hear that - it's worked on my one higher DPI display (2560x1600). I've yet to try it on my laptop panel which is higher still, so maybe it won't help there.

We as a company are now done with Evernote. I'm canceling all subscriptions and moving everyone to OneNote. After using OneNote for the last month I can say with all confidence that we won't miss Evernote. It will take about 1/2 day training for everyone to get up to speed but that's a small price to pay to give them something they can actually use.

We as a company are now done with Evernote. I'm canceling all subscriptions and moving everyone to OneNote. After using OneNote for the last month I can say with all confidence that we won't miss Evernote. It will take about 1/2 day training for everyone to get up to speed but that's a small price to pay to give them something they can actually use.

To gazumped up-thread who advocated Evernote saying nothing as a good PR policy - right there is your reason why it's a terrible idea for a business. Not only has it cost you one customer, the alternative they're switching too will probably be one others of us who are less than happy re-visit too.

If you say nothing to my concerns as a customer - that's about how much I believe you value my business.

In fact ... I may also be on the move to OneNote as we speak. It's so trivial to export my notes and I'm so hacked off with the lack of a usable version when on my laptop high DPI display, maybe it's easier to give up waiting and just move across

This is not good. I'm using Evernote for Windows version 5.7.2.5753 and the issue remains.

I have a MacBook Retina as well as a QHD Windows notebook: Evernote is perfect on the Apple high definition screen, so it's obviously not an insuperable problem. 

This needs to be fixed yesterday. Just about every other 3rd party application copes. Evernote need to spend less time on feature bloat and more on fixing bugs if they wish to avoid the fate of the once-outstanding Info Select.

Can I add my voice to this chorus?  I am encountering the same problem (text size issues, unreadable drop down menus) and thought it might be fixed in subsequent updates.  So far, no changes or solutions that I can see.  Please address this issue Evernote!

I wanted to mention that I'm having the same problem too. I moved from a Macbook Air to a Yoga 2 Pro a couple months ago.

On my 3200x1800 display the text is unreadable and the app is unusable. I've been having to use the browser, which is beautiful, but doesn't have the same functionality as the desktop app.

Evernote please fix! It just seems like there are a lot of other apps out there that have addressed the scaling issue.  

For those with problems on high dpi displays such as Surface Pro 3 or Yoga 2 Pro, you can easily resolve this until Evernote fixes this in 2 simple steps.

What you need to do:

1) Tell Windows that it needs to ignore any setting that any application itself tells Windows (which is clearly wrong, since the UI is unusable) whenever a "manifest" file is available. Open registry editor and create the following DWORD registry key:

Enable Windows to prioritise external manifests by creating and setting this registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide\PreferExternalManifest (DWORD) to 1

2) create a "manifest" file that tells Windows that Evernote is not using high dpi UI:

create the file Evernote.exe.manifest with the following contents and place it next to Evernote.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote:

(use Notepad or something similar - I had to save it in another location first and then copy because of file rights)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>

<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0" xmlns:asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">

<assemblyIdentity
    type="win32"
    processorArchitecture="*"
    version="11.0.0.0"
    name="Evernote.exe">
  </assemblyIdentity>

<description>Evernote</description>

<trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2">
  <security>
    <requestedPrivileges>
      <requestedExecutionLevel xmlns:ms_asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3"
        level="asInvoker"
        ms_asmv3:uiAccess="false">
      </requestedExecutionLevel>
    </requestedPrivileges>
  </security>
</trustInfo>

<asmv3:application>
    <ms_windowsSettings:dpiAware xmlns:ms_windowsSettings="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings">false</ms_windowsSettings:dpiAware>
  </asmv3:windowsSettings>
</asmv3:application>

</assembly>

note: forum makes an automatic link where it shouldn't so just copy from here: http://pastebin.com/XXqafS0P

Now start Evernote again (no reboot required) and your UI is a bit fuzzy (due to scaling) but works perfectly fine!

Problem solved!  :)

Thanks a lot to Luis and Surface Pro Artist Blog who first proved this workaround for Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.

Thanks - I gave this a shot, but I don't see the text formatting toolbar buttons in evernote note windows looking any different. In fact, the interface seems the same.

I'm using 250% scaling on Yoga2 Pro so maybe there's a limitation? I followed your links to the source of the modification, and it seems like people have had success using this on Adobe apps. Some have mentioned it can be sensitive to the actual scaling value of the OS.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived