(Archived) Evernote for Windows 5.0.3 Beta 1

dlu

We have a new beta with bugfixes. 5.0.3 Beta 1 has bug fixes for the tags drawer not suggesting business tags. Atlas also loads up exponentially more quickly. We also have related notes working for the Korean language.

thanks!

If you're on the beta track, you can go to Help >> Check for Updates.

Or download it here http://cdn1.evernote.com/win5/prerelease/Evernote_5.0.3.1436.exe

• Level 5

There have been quite a few Betas on this version 5 so far.

I feel like there's supposed to be a second or third sentence after that

No, but since you asked, I did restrict my comment and bite my tongue about my confusion on why it swapped back to Beta from the GA release earlier this week. It is your program and you can do what you think is best to improve the release.

• Level 5*

Checked one more time, and the Check for Updates found the beta at last. Installing...

Figured that this was just a beta for a new version following the prior public release. I take the fact that updates are coming out with some frequency as a good thing. We do something not too dissimilar with the software I work on (albeit with a substantially smaller audience). Anyways, I'm starting to find my way around the new interface better, and while I can't claim to like all of the choices, things are mostly back to normal with respect to my workflow. Carry on...

Tag searching is still broken as described in this thread http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/42921-tag-search-not-working-on-windows-desktop-version/

Please fix this so that I can type the text a tag in the searchbox, click the tag, and have the results on the left filter to the results containing just that tag.

This worked in previous beta versions but was broken at some point before GA of 5.

Tag searching is still broken as described in this thread http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/42921-tag-search-not-working-on-windows-desktop-version/

Please fix this so that I can type the text a tag in the searchbox, click the tag, and have the results on the left filter to the results containing just that tag.

This worked in previous beta versions but was broken at some point before GA of 5.

I can confirm that selecting a tag from tag suggestions in the search box still does not perform a search as expected. This is such a useful feature. Please fix it

• Level 5

Can I get clarification on the release notes item:

"Users required to enter password to sign in while offline"

I haven't been able to duplicate that.

• Level 5

ping...

That is to say, if I open Evernote while offline, there is no authentication prompt.

If I sign out of the account and then go offline, I can't "sign in" again to that account merely by entering a username and password.  I get a cannot connect to servers type error.

Gray on white is as "pale rider" as Steve Jobs himself (bless his heart)! Windows EN version 4 was easy on the eyes and one could see things.   No more!  Now, it is anemic, sterile and opaque, literally appearing to fade into the sheets! We are one beta away from a blank white screen with white on white text...maximum freedom of expression, no distractions, just useless toking bliss.  Windows EN Version 5 is so flat it needs implants.

More betas please...more green, more elephants, more life before we fade away!  Put some salsa on it. Borrow some color from the coalition! Hurry! Before EN is mistaken for toilet paper and used accordingly!

Away with sterile, aluminum, glassy, bland, austere themes!  Flat themes are by iPeople who never lived, who never loved, who think in dubstep sequence.  50 million users of EN have been bushwhacked by an unimaginative and inexperienced group of shells who, upon lifting their sore thumbs and hollowed-eyes from screens filled with mine-craft and twitter, declared the rest of the world to be...#boring.

• Level 5*

Gray on white is as "pale rider" as Steve Jobs himself (bless his heart)! Windows EN version 4 was easy on the eyes and one could see things.   No more!  Now, it is anemic, sterile and opaque, literally appearing to fade into the sheets! We are one beta away from a blank white screen with white on white text...maximum freedom of expression, no distractions, just useless toking bliss.  Windows EN Version 5 is so flat it needs implants.

More betas please...more green, more elephants, more life before we fade away!  Put some salsa on it. Borrow some color from the coalition! Hurry! Before EN is mistaken for toilet paper and used accordingly!

Away with sterile, aluminum, glassy, bland, austere themes!  Flat themes are by iPeople who never lived, who never loved, who think in dubstep sequence.  50 million users of EN have been bushwhacked by an unimaginative and inexperienced group of shells who, upon lifting their sore thumbs and hollowed-eyes from screens filled with mine-craft and twitter, declared the rest of the world to be...#boring.

Post of the week! And from a first time poster, no less. Is this from the faction whose response to the Mona Lisa would be something like "Hey, nice painting, but what a boring frame". Skinning and tweaking are for people with no lives. #whiteisacolortoo

I think Evernote takes one step forward and two steps back with version 5.  It reminds me of the Skitch fiasco on the Mac.  Usability has gone backwards.  It was nice to just look at folder and tell whether it was shared, or be able to see a scroll bar, or know the title of the note your working on without have to scroll to the top of the note.  In version 4, the thumb nail view allowed me to see 3 times as many notes in my note list.  Now we are stuck with a note list that gives partial thumb nails(too zoomed in).  You might even have to ask yourself, whether the software engineers or people responsible for design actually use the software.

Don't get me wrong, I love Evernote and use it everyday.  But version 5 makes me wonder what Evernote was thinking.  

I do like the new ability to highlight and the Android version of Evernote ROCKS!

• Level 5*

Something that I just noticed: it appears that the typeface used for the UI in various places (note titles on the note, note titles in all of the views, tag names, and probably more) do not support all of the Unicode characters. For example, the 'Black Star' character ( : from a set of tags ★, ★, ★, etc. that I used for testing out a note prioritization scheme awhile ago) appears as an empty box across the UI, but is rendered correctly when using a normal Windows font (e.g. Corbel). Not sure that this isn't something new to V5, or maybe just my work machine -- I'll need to check my home machine to see if it's working there.

Post of the week! And from a first time poster, no less. Is this from the faction whose response to the Mona Lisa would be something like "Hey, nice painting, but what a boring frame". Skinning and tweaking are for people with no lives. #whiteisacolortoo

Since you asked, the post is from the faction that actually knew Mona Lisa before Leonardo painted her, furthermore, they know why he painted her, and they appreciate the fact that he used more than white and gray to do so.  "Skinning" is what made Leonardo famous.  If one can't see the doorway, or find the handle on the door, then what lies behind the door will simply remain unnoticed and unappreciated until it is gone forever. Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur, therefore, quieta non movere. 

• 2 weeks later...

what changes have been made with this new

update? i like some of the features of 5.0.2, but there were some changes that bug me; similar issues with tagging that I have read in these threads for one. I was a bit disappointed with the update overall though, and had to reconfigure things to suit my needs.

If I update this on my pc, will I have to update devices that normally sync with it, or will that happen automatically?

• Level 5*

If I update this on my pc, will I have to update devices that normally sync with it, or will that happen automatically?

No. The Evernote clients sync with the Evernote servers, and not with other devices. Other devices they will only need to update when they get their own new versions.

Archived