(Archived) IOS7 upgrade has really slowed EN down

warobbo

has anyone else suffered similar issues with EN on the iphone & iPad running really slowly. It is taking several minutes for the sync to happen. Loading notes and/or creating a new note takes c. 30 secs+ ...nothing is happening with the immediacy of IOS6.

any recommendations to improve speed? if I cant find a solution then at the moment there is no point in trying to use EN on the iPhone which is a major pain.

thanks

Same problem: I have had some crashing problems, and slowness on the iPhone 4s and iPad 3. If my iPad sleeps while recording a note the app crashes, sometimes the whole iPad crashes.

well things are getting worse. not been able to use EN on the iphone at all today, I have been unable to get pas the passcode screen...total freeze. closed the app down and now re-installing...very frustrating...how come its never possible to go back to previous versions???

• 2 weeks later...

It's now got to the point where EN freezes completely on the iPhone. In dialogue with EN support who appear to be flummoxed on how to resolve. Now done 3 re-installs and if anything the ease of use has got worse with every re-install.

Not quite sure who to be p*ssed off with more apple for totally cocking up ios7 or EN for not being ready for ios7.

Great shame as I have been evangelical about both brands for many years but now seriously thinking about ditching iPhone...grrrrrr

The new EN upgrade is almost unusable on ios7 in my opinion when using my ipad Mini.  It is so slow at taking notes that it misses characters.  I have reverted to using an external notetaker then copying into EN later. Also the synching doesn't seem to work in background but I think that has been commented on elsewhere in this forum.  Please fix the speed soon guys - it's currently a deal breaker.

wouldn't disagree that life has got more complicated since the latest version. Even on my mac EN takes an age to load and sync and then goes slowly. I resorted to having a major clearout of old stuff - which kind of defeats the object I know - to see if that would help, but to no avail.

am struggling to keep with EN currently as its has definitely taken a backward step with this latest version. shame ;-(  

• Level 5

What size Evernote databases are we talking here?

iOS7 has slowed my ipad 3 down a fair bit as a whole, and my phone is now the 5s so I don't expect any slowness there.

But I'm not really seeing any slowness in Evernote, if anything some parts are better than I remember on v4.

A couple of exceptions.  I think the first few moments after launch when background sync is happening can slow the foreground a bit but I use EN enough, the syncs are short and brief.

I'm not seeing slowness with test notes, checking off boxes vs entering edit mode.

About the only area with noticeable sluggishness is the search box with the real-time results while typing.  It does feel like it's struggling with load.

For context, I don't have any offline notes/notebooks, but about 5000 notes which take up 1.5GB on the desktop, and a whopping (not) 45MB on the ipad.

Thinking that the size of the Dbase might be an issue I have deleted some old stuff so that the total size is under 1gb. But still no joy.

Now three days since EN support were last in contact ...I guess this isn't going to be a quick fix ;-(

For a bit more detail - I am finding the main issue of slowness is the Note entry on the ipad mini.  I have a pretty large offline database: 5.5GB.  Syncing is patchy - sometimes works, sometimes not and the app crashes from time to time now.  But the main issue is that the typing rate is so slow I have to wait seconds for the typing to catch up on occasions and it drops characters if I type at a normal speed.  I have stopped various apps running the background and other apps on the Ios7 mini appear to work fine (such as IA Writer).  So...please help fix the speed EN team!

• Level 5

Have you been willing to try it without the offline notebook for comparison?

There's something to be said for offloading the heavy lifting to Evernote servers vs local search and indexing in the background on a database that large on the iPad itself (which would be required by an offline notebook).

• Level 5

I did a quick re-read of SQLite Databases (what Evernote uses) on iOS, and there are lots of "very large" database related performance issues discussed with databases around 150MB. Even one as large as 1GB. Operations which run in seconds on the desktop in the iOS simulator could run up to a minute on the actual device.

If nothing else I imagine re-indexing 5GB's on a version update and possible database schema change would take a significant amount of time.

While that's running in the background, foreground activities could sure be impacted.

And with Evernote not being designed to have an activity indicator of such activites, and people launching it for only brief windows of time...

I can see it just feeling slow for a long time (hours on a 5GB database) until it's been open long enough to complete the process.

But I bet it's a loosing battle with a database that size.

• Level 5*

I did a quick re-read of SQLite Databases (what Evernote uses) on iOS, and there are lots of "very large" database related performance issues discussed with databases around 150GB. Even one as large as 1GB. Operations which run in seconds on the desktop in the iOS simulator could run up to a minute on the actual device.If nothing else I imagine re-indexing 5GB's on a version update and possible database schema change would take a significant amount of time.While that's running in the background, foreground activities could sure be impacted.And with Evernote not being designed to have an activity indicator of such activites, and people launching it for only brief windows of time...I can see it just feeling slow for a long time (hours on a 5GB database) until it's been open long enough to complete the process.But I bet it's a loosing battle with a database that size.

Interesting. I'd like to know if leaving everything on for a few hours speeds it up or not. I haven't seen that myself (i've left it on for many hours on end trying to download offline notes), but maybe there is a trick to it all that I don't know.

I have been using Evernote for about a year now. Love it. However, i was having the same issue. very laggy typing. i read a few posts above and removed all but 1 small notebook from offline notebooks. it works super fast now and i have an old iPhone 4s. kind of a pain as offline notebooks are one of features i pay for with the premium membership. not such a big deal on my iPhone but more of a deal on my wifi only iPad. Is there a fix coming? i have plenty of memory, 7gig free so i dont see why this should slow down the app. sounds like a RAM issue though.

• 4 weeks later...

Evernote crashes (locks up) on iphone 4s when I try anything but viewing my notes. Most importantly I cannot edit or create new notes on my iphone.
Background:
• It started just being slow (5-10 secs).

This has occurred since about early October. I updated my Iphone operating system regularly – so I probably have updated my iphone OS ~4 times since then.

• I update Evernote regularly through the Apple app store
• I can view my notes.
• I can’t use quick note or save an edited note. I can’t use options accounts etc. anything to modify the existing.
• This happens with iphone “Background refresh” on or off.
• This happens with iphone EN “location services” on or off.
• I have closed and reopened the EN.
• I have uninstalled and reinstalled EN.
• I have 50% storage (6.6 GB available) in my iphone.
I read numerous forums--many iphone users have had the same or similar problems and it may not be EverNotes fault but EverNote should be prepared for it and let users know if there is a problem pattern occurring. Apple had that problem starting with iphone 4s and wouldn't admit it but more than 10% of users had the exact problem months later the problem was solved with an upgrade IOS. I lost a lot of faith in Apple and am considering going to Android. This is what will happen to Evernote--good reliable transparent service is what is most important for brand loyalty. I started a support ticket on 11/17 with the info above but have not heard from them since. I have looked into using a different note app and downloaded simplenote until I can get EverNote working again. SimpleNote does not have all the excellent features that EverNote does... but it works! When I get back into employment (have been stayat home dad) I will probably pay for a service and will then consider other services if EverNote support ignores this issue.

I do not have offline notebooks (free version) and the app freezes. I noticed this problem occurred a little while after the next to last (or was it next next to last?) EN update when so many new features were added such as 'quick note' were introduced.

• 1 month later...

My iPhone 4 is so slow running Evernote that I'm considering canceling my premium subscription. I just don't find it enjoyable opening an app that locks up all the time, or that won't let me type smoothly. My typing gets ignored for a few seconds and then all the tap sounds come at once, and the phone locks up. You might blame the underpowered iPhone 4, but the Youtube app for example is lightning fast. Should I hang on to my membership? Will there be an update soon do you think?

Archived