(Archived) Just went back to old version ... hated 502's cards

buzq

I just installed 502, and after wasting time trying to get my thumbnails view back I realised they're gone so I don't want it.

Cards. Yeeech. To see more than a few notes it has to be scrolled, or waste my desktop real estate by needing to have the frame so wide it there's no room to display the note. How's that 'at a glance'?  Doesn't make sense.

I want efficiency. I'm not a child, I don't need a blimmin great picture book to know the contents of a note.

So, now I'm back to my original download of over a year ago, but there were some updates before this new one, and it seems I can't do a progressive update, it's 502 or nuttin. Is that right? Or is there a way to get everything up to, but not ... if you know what I mean. 

Ta

Ah thanks so much, I didn't think of finding v4 via the forums. I'll go check it out.

Re lists - I didn't say I didn't want a graphic representation, just not the size of my head! Besides, I already had lists.  

And snippets are pretty much cards.. only umm ...longish - always did have that choice as well, so not some fab advanced point of diff there.

Just a backwards step for me. Something good and useful gone in thumbnails, no particular great gain with cards.

C'est la vie 'spose.

Funny how you don't notice how important something is until it's gone, but since I reverted back and become conscious of it, I really see thumbnail view is absolutely one of the most important things about the way I use EN

I catch that I've put a note in the wrong book.

I can see at a glance if a book is overcrowded and I should split it up under more identifiable headers.

I find things I have dumped in for later perusal that would've been out-of-sight out-of-mind if hidden past the first few in cards view

When researching online, I will quickly clip many different subjects to my default folder, and with thumbs I can easily see which is what, select and drag them en masse to the appropriate books.

I spot double ups when I've clipped the same page an earlier date....

And on and on...

None of these things can be done when only seeing a few at a time.

It's so basic really. Just simple common sense. Before bells and whistles, at it's heart EN is supposed to be an organisational tool - and without thumbs I find it much harder to organise. 

:(

So use the snippet or list views. Or you can search the forums to find the last version of the v4 series.

Hi @jefito,

Are you saying that someone on the fourms might have a v4 file that they can email me? Or is there a list of older versions on the forum somewhere?

• Level 5

Here is a good site with a lot of past releases of Evernote
http://www.filehippo.com/download_evernote/history/

• Just in case of data corruption during the upgrade, I stored this link in Google Keep as well as Evernote.
  • Also backing up religiously and maintaining a rotating set of 7 Daily, 5 Weekly, and 4 Monthly Evernote backups.
  • I'm not going to perform V5 installation for at least 2 months after the public non-beta version is released. [edit: looks like it the GA version 5.02 was released on October 1]

I do not understand why it must be one or the other, why can't both be an option.

I think it's because they have someone in the user interface department that believe in taking away "all unnecessary noise", they mention it with every new release, and in their mind having an extra view would "add complexity".  So instead they take away views even though people find them crucial to their workflow, and even though they are entirely optional (i.e. add no meaningful noise).  What most of todays user interface designers don't get is that most people are going to only use one or two views and as long as they can easily and quickly get to those two views, it doesn't matter if there are 10 others, they aren't adding any meaningful complexity.

So use the snippet or list views. Or you can search the forums to find the last version of the v4 series.

Hi @jefito,

Are you saying that someone on the fourms might have a v4 file that they can email me? Or is there a list of older versions on the forum somewhere?

Hippo wouldn't download for me. I got mine from filehorse - this is the last of the 4 version  http://dl.filehorse.com/win/office-and-business-tools/evernote/Evernote-4.6.7.8409.exe?st=iinQvv3pKovSGGJPvLElOA&e=1381075580&fn=Evernote_4.6.7.8409.exe But the whole list is here... http://www.filehorse.com/download-evernote/13802/old-versions/.

It was really straight forward - uninstall 5, install 4. Quick and without a hitch. Happy now.

This is truly unbelievable!  Why, oh why, would they get rid of thumbnail view?  Unless they restore it I'm afraid I'll be looking for a replacement for Evernote soon.  What a disastrous update!

I totally agree. I've been a premium member for several years and now I'm wondering if I will be left behind if I don't upgrade in the future. Going to have to really think if I want to pay for a service I may not get to fully use...

I agree. I also reverted back because they did away with the thumbnail view. I do not understand why it must be one or the other, why can't both be an option.

Card View would be ok if you could manually size how many/how big they are.

Archived