Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo

ScanSnap Evernote Edition

• Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

#101 psyton

psyton

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:45 AM

Yes. The scanner will first check for a USB connection, then a wifi connection. i.e. USB will take priority, but then it will also check for a wifi pair.

Appreciate the response, but I'm missing something.  

I received the scanner today, and tried the scenario as described.  How do I get the second computer to pair?  There doesn't seem to be a way to 'enable wifi scanning' on the second computer, even though I confirmed the scanner does run over Wifi to the first if USB is disconnected.

Other than that, quite pleased with the SSEE..

Also noticed the scanner WiFi indicator doesn't stay green, but even when orange scans over WiFi to the (first, wrong) computer.

#102 selfdestruct

selfdestruct

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

Ordered ix500's for my office, EN Edition for me

Impressed by the scanning ability when finally working

Depressed by the installation headaches of the ix500 (I had set the first one up on my mac to play with it then switched to a PC terminal)

1. Install ScanSnap Manager (no wifi functionality to computer)

2. Install Online Updater (must install to get wifi function to computer)

3. Must then right click to run updates to get wifi function to computer

** There is a firmware update in the above processes too **

Navigating to their driver page is a little confusing and for the normal user could see this being a complete headache to the point of just giving up.

It took me 2 hours to solve the issue that seems to be the issue of me leaving it plugged in during one of the installation stages that completely screwed me up. Led to using some removal feature on the DVD and reinstalling and restarting computer twice. I was just going to be testing the scanner on the pc and then taking it back home with me to scan some stuff. Once it finally got working on the PC... I left it there... not chancing another PITA 

Evernote edition for me

As I understand it the only functionality that is missing is the scan to mobile which would be finicky anyways as the ScanSnap APP for iOS is horrible. I am assuming EN Edition will be a happier and more streamlined install that out of box and 1 install will give the functionalities that scansnap offers (scan to dropbox folder, etc + better evernote scanning options )

The current thing I am annoyed about the EN edition / EN Market is the SLOW shipping times and not many order updates. Seems like EN should just pay for Amazon Fulfillment and be done with it? This is the world we've come to expect to have packages within 2 days. Feels like the early 1990's when you would collect 6 cereal box tops for a toy and wait 6-8 weeks to the point of insanity checking the mailbox everyday.

Also I noticed the EN edition webpages states 600 dpi lower resolution scans vs ix500? is this adjustable to match ix500 resolutions ~1200??

#103 Jackolicious

Jackolicious

• Title: Desktop Products
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:33 PM

psyton, I would talk to support.

mwilgar, do you not have an icon in your menubar?

My TwitterCheck out our Knowledgebase  our guides here: Mac or Windows. Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#104 Charlesk

Charlesk

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:43 PM

I was ready to purchase the EN scanner. I did not because I am concerned about non evernote functionality. Online chat was not that helpful in answering my questions.

1. Can I scan to other cloud destinations outside of Evernote? For example, Dropbox, Sugarsync, someday maybe ShoeBoxed?

2. Can I bulk export the scanned images to PDF's, JPG, etc?

These two things are stopping me from moving forward. I see in the FAQ page mention of dropbox but I cannot find more details about how that works. On the export front I see that I can export notes to HTML but not PDF. 

I hope Evernote did not make this thing so proprietary that it is useless outside of the evernote environment.

#105 Jackolicious

Jackolicious

• 1,507 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:49 PM

1. Yes: http://note.io/1dAuoGH

2. Yes: you can export all attached files (in their original format, i.e. JPG/PDF) from Evernote very easily: http://note.io/1dAuLRy

My TwitterCheck out our Knowledgebase  our guides here: Mac or Windows. Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#106 Charlesk

Charlesk

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:59 PM

Thank you. That does bring to light another issue. It looks like a local pc is required and the scanner cannot scan directly to the cloud. Is that correct? That is one of the few things I loved about the Neat cloud scanner. Drop in the scan and press a button. No computer needed.

#107 Charlesk

Charlesk

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:14 AM

Will there be an update to allow for direct to evernote / cloud scanning? I understand why you did not include it as you could not assume an internet connection was available all of the time, however, this would be a huge plus.

#108 Arnold C.

Arnold C.

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:20 PM

Jackolicious, quick question...I am not sure if this has been answered yet on the thread, but I think it has been asked twice.  Is there a reason why the Evernote Edition has the best resolution set at 300 dpi color and 600 dpi monochrome, whereas the ix500 has a best resolution of 600/1200 dpi?

Thanks

#109 Jackolicious

Jackolicious

• 1,507 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

Sure. The only reason was related to file size but we are thinking of increasing that limit in a software update.

Specifically, we didn't want people to set it to the highest settings, forget them, and then go through their 1GB of Premium data too quickly. We don't have any issues with people blowing through their quotas quickly... (it's good for our business :) ) but we didn't want to be seen as purposefully inflating file sizes unnecessarily in order to force our users to pay more. 

#110 Charlesk

Charlesk

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:14 PM

I think the 300/600 is a good default but we do need 600/1200 for times when the scanner is used for other purposes. 

#111 selfdestruct

selfdestruct

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:32 PM

So I just now got the EN edition:

ix500 has option to name file right after scanned so that its appropriately marked rather than "Scanned Document mm/dd/yyyy" as evernote does

Where is the option to name the document upon scan in EN Edition? This seems to be ridiculously stripped down version of the ix500

Please advise ASAP

It seems that Evernote needs to give us full functionality of the scansnap software for the premium we paid for it I expect all options to be useable in edition to their proprietary stuff.

Let us toggle between EN software and Scansnap software at least tho it probably isnt that easy.

What if I dont want to scan to Evernote and just to a folder for a specific scanning session?

What is return policy?

#112 Jackolicious

Jackolicious

• 1,507 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:38 PM

This was done purposefully since we did not want to interrupt the scanning process. You can just click the note and change the title by clicking the title field or using the title keyboard shortcut.

#113 Charlesk

Charlesk

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:45 PM

It seems like the Evernote team was so focused on building a scanner specific to Evernote they forgot that people do use scanner for other purposes outside of Evernote. It is frustrating that this has happened. It would be good to get a list of lost features that Evernote can add back the scanner and which ones will never be added back. $500 is way to expensive for a single use scanner but opening the feature set back up to what normal business users need would make that price acceptable. 

#114 selfdestruct

selfdestruct

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

It seems like the Evernote team was so focused on building a scanner specific to Evernote they forgot that people do use scanner for other purposes outside of Evernote. It is frustrating that this has happened. It would be good to get a list of lost features that Evernote can add back the scanner and which ones will never be added back. $500 is way to expensive for a single use scanner but opening the feature set back up to what normal business users need would make that price acceptable. 

Absolutely agree. 

I just set up 4 ix500s for my office and I got the EN edition for me thinking Id be getting myself something a little "better"... Seems right now I am way wrong

I am happy to stand by the EN edition if we're going to getting functionality back but if not ...

Its fine to set defaults for less experienced users but give us the option... otherwise this scanner needs to be less than 300 and not the 500 premium we paid vs the ix500 for 410 on amazon

so far EN edition:

+'s

Nice green light.. so sick of blue LEDs in Electronics

Rubbery finish 

Color

Evernote definitely got the Ease of install right vs the ix500 

can still save to a folder (i.e., dropbox) 

Supporting a great company 

-'s

Lost basically all functionality other than scan to evernote 

Lower resolution scans 

No way to name after scanning (so if you're saving to dropbox too you have to rename TWICE workflow pain in the ass)

no way to choose to not scan to evernote for a specific scanning session (i.e, you want to scan ALOT of stuff but then choose what goes into evernote) 

#115 selfdestruct

selfdestruct

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:06 PM

Functionality I need in the immediate future and avoid being #sad

Turn Evernote scanning on or off -- If i just want to scan to a folder, let me just scan to a folder (i.e, dropbox folder) - seems simple enough... I am OK with requiring Evernote to be open 

Rename after scanning option - the second you scan you can rename without clicking anything and press OK for easier search-ability

Sometimes you have time to rename as you go, other times you do not ... give the option back!

Higher Resolutions like ix500 - easy enough as well 

The scanner can do higher, if I have 1 chance to scan a photo in, I want it to be the highest possible quality that the scanner can do...

Allow us to put a pre-fixed file name not just "Scanned Document Date Time" - Again if doing batches of something this is useful. (i.e, working on a batch of receipts from Oct 2013) --  suppose you could change the tagging when scanning but if using Dropbox folder as well, tagging does not work. This functionality is in the ix500 scansnap software. Please reactivate this. 

#116 sgarcata

sgarcata

• PipPip
  • Title: Alliance Lackey
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:24 AM

So what I gather from all of this is, if everything you scan goes into Evernote, get the Evernote edition.  If you are scanning into other locations or applications in addition to scanning things for Evernote, get the ix500.

That's the same conclusion I reached.  I bought the ix500. It arrives tomorrow.

You will love it, worth every penny

The ix500 is a lovely device. I bought it a few months ago and couldn't be more pleased with the purchase. It is humming along next to me at the moment -- I've scanned several hundred pages and the morning has only just begun :)

the EN version or not, please?

#117 Jackolicious

Jackolicious

• 1,507 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:31 PM

We are planning to remove the Scan to Evernote exclusivity requirement and raise the maximum quality in a software update. 

Disclosures since there are lots of new folks here:

- We read every forum post although we may not always respond.

- Evernote does not disclose timelines. 

Thanks so much to everyone for your comments. This is v1 of the scanner so we appreciate the constructive feedback. Keep it coming!

#118 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,215 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:54 PM

So what I gather from all of this is, if everything you scan goes into Evernote, get the Evernote edition.  If you are scanning into other locations or applications in addition to scanning things for Evernote, get the ix500.

That's the same conclusion I reached.  I bought the ix500. It arrives tomorrow.

You will love it, worth every penny

The ix500 is a lovely device. I bought it a few months ago and couldn't be more pleased with the purchase. It is humming along next to me at the moment -- I've scanned several hundred pages and the morning has only just begun :)

the EN version or not, please?

I do not have the EN version. Please see my full post here for the context of the quotation (answering the question some have posed about whether to buy the ix500 or the Evernote scanner).
http://discussion.ev...ition/?p=240390

#119 selfdestruct

selfdestruct

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:27 PM

We are planning to remove the Scan to Evernote exclusivity requirement and raise the maximum quality in a software update. 

Disclosures since there are lots of new folks here:

- We read every forum post although we may not always respond.

- Evernote does not disclose timelines. 

Thanks so much to everyone for your comments. This is v1 of the scanner so we appreciate the constructive feedback. Keep it coming!

This is why I like Evernote :D

Thank you 

Update: Moved my EN Scanner to my home and keeping ix500 in office. 

Switching EN Scanner to a different dedicated laptop at home from my mobile one for wireless scanning was absolutely painless and simple. When switching the ix500 to another computer for wireless scanning you have to run a separate utility and is not user friendly. 

+1 EN Edition 

#120 k12s

k12s

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:38 AM

Yes. The scanner will first check for a USB connection, then a wifi connection. i.e. USB will take priority, but then it will also check for a wifi pair.

Appreciate the response, but I'm missing something.  

I received the scanner today, and tried the scenario as described.  How do I get the second computer to pair?  There doesn't seem to be a way to 'enable wifi scanning' on the second computer, even though I confirmed the scanner does run over Wifi to the first if USB is disconnected.

Other than that, quite pleased with the SSEE..

Here's what I've found.  In this example, I will configure Computer A to connect via USB and Computer B via WiFi.

Connect EN scanner via USB to Computer B.  Use ScanSnap Manager (icon in OSX menubar), Settings, WiFi to Enable WiFi, enable WiFi switch on back of scanner, then disconnect USB.  EN scanner is now configured to transmit scans via WiFi to Computer B.  

Connect EN scanner via USB to Computer A.  Computer B ScanSnap manager will soon indicate it cannot connect to scanner since only one interface is active at a time, and priority is given to USB.   Scanner now transmits scans to Computer A via USB.   To send scans back to Computer B, disconnect Computer A USB.  At this point, you won't be able to scan to either system until the scanner reconnects to Computer B.  You can force the connection by toggling the scanner WiFi switch from OFF to ON.  

That's it.  Now, connect USB to Computer A as needed, or disconnect Computer A USB to send scans to Computer B.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)
Clip to Evernote