Sync failed due to unexpected problem at server side

kmobley

I am repeatedly getting the error "Sync failed due to unexpected problem at server side" when I attempt to sync in Evernote for Windows 5.0.2.1332 (261840) Prerelease.  It started in previous versions (from the first v5 pre-release forward).  Support has fixed it two times already, but it popped back up again today.  I hate clicking sync and wondering if it will work or not.  I appreciate support for fixing it the previous times, but what is going on and how do I prevent it?  I use Evernote Business and this issue shuts me down for a few days (as I wait for support) since I can't trust what changes have been synced between my computers or my co-workers.

Here is a portion of the log file where the problem may be occurring:

06:56:21 [76] 0% Authenticating business Gardenuity
06:56:21 [76] 0% Syncing notebook "Compensation" shared by _business_gardenutiy
06:56:21 [76] 0% * loaded linked notebook updateCount: 3002
06:56:22 [76] 0% Linked notebook updateCount=3002, server updateCount=3064
06:56:22 [76] 0% Retrieving list of notebook changes from the server
06:56:22 [76] 0% EDAMNotFoundException: id="LinkedNotebook" key=""

I think the last line is the issue, but I certainly don't know.  In prior instances, there has been a notebook in the "key=" attribute, but now it is blank.

Anyone have any ideas?  There is no pattern to the problem, but it usually occurs after I have moved items from personal notebooks into business notebooks (I think).

Kenny

Hi Kenny and welcome to the forum,

It is some time since I have experienced this problem and I had various ways of sorting it.

The key problem always seemed to be (for me) a difference in Note numbers in Notebooks between the software on my laptop and the web. I would go through each Notebook checking on both where the fault lay. On a couple of occasions the only way of solving the problem completely was to move all the Notes into a new Notebook.

But, here is the good news! Since I bought a new laptop running Windows 8 I have not experienced the problem.

Now I don't honestly think that it is anything to do with Windows 8. But I do think it is about a 'new' installation of Evernote. A lot of people have solved their problems by completely un-installing Evernote (check forum for methods as I cannot remember) and starting afresh.

If you decide to go down this route, before you do I suggest you back up everything! 

Go 'Tools', 'Options' to find the location of your Evernote files.

Whilst you can just copy the account files, I personally copy the complete Evernote folder to an external hard drive/USB stick.

Hope that helps.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Bruce and welcome to the forum,

Of course Evernote make sure their products work. But there can always be problems with a specific set of circumstances, which appears to be what you and possibly Kenny have.

Did you follow my suggestion of completely removing Evernote software?

Check out the second post on this thread where Geoff explains how to completely remove the software using 'Revo' uninstaller.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/36401-windows-error-code-2732-workarounds/

Best regards

Chris

Thank for the help, Chris.  I appreciate the value you add to these forums.  I fixed the problem by deleting the database from the folder you mentioned and re-downloading all of the content.  Must mean the problem is client side and not server side.  Very strange.  I wish I knew a way to keep it from happening.  Very annoying to get a message saying, essentially, "can't sync."  Not very useful.

Again, thanks for contributing. 

Kenny

FYI, the exact same thing happened to me.

To fix, I did the following:

- uninstalled Evernote,

- renamed the Evernote directory Evernote_bak

- installed the latest Beta

- let the client re-download all the data

I have two PCs at work, one with the latest official release, and one with the latest beta.  At home I always have the latest beta, so this morning some of the notes I put in last night from home did not show up on my work installation because of the sync issues that apparently I did not notice.  Can you please make the notification popup for sync issues red or something like that so that it is more noticeable? 

Dlu and others, you may want to test the upgrade to this beta a little further...seems like a few of us have had issues...

After downloading the Beta, I did not notice the Business Home / 2.0 functionality anywhere.  Where can I find it?

• 1 month later...

When is there going to be a lasting solution to this problem so that we don't have to jump through all these hoops?  Seriously.  I get this error ALL THE TIME despite doing uninstalls, installs, deleting offending notes, etc, etc, etc.

I swear if there is every a decent competitor to Evernote I'm canceling my premium account and shifting. 

• 2 weeks later...

By mistake I 'solved' my  'failure to synchronize' problem - in a non-techie way:

On my desktop, I had 'cleaned house' (i.e. deleting some hotebooks and notes) .  The trash then contained a few 'deleted' notebooks and  some notes.

Shortly after the deleting spree, the 'failure to sync' began.  

I did not connect the 2 events.   I spent several in useless 'chats' with tech support; nothing helped.

Then, for no particular reason I 'deleted' all the stuff in the trash and , lo and behold, the sync problem was solved.

So, I recommend that you 'empty' your trash (after making sure it's nothing important) before you sync.  It worked for me and I haven't had any problems since.

Now, prior to syncing from the desktop, I empty my trash

By mistake I 'solved' my  'failure to synchronize' problem - in a non-techie way:

On my desktop, I had 'cleaned house' (i.e. deleting some hotebooks and notes) .  The trash then contained a few 'deleted' notebooks and  some notes.

Shortly after the deleting spree, the 'failure to sync' began.  

I did not connect the 2 events.   I spent several in useless 'chats' with tech support; nothing helped.

Then, for no particular reason I 'deleted' all the stuff in the trash and , lo and behold, the sync problem was solved.

So, I recommend that you 'empty' your trash (after making sure it's nothing important) before you sync.  It worked for me and I haven't had any problems since.

Now, prior to syncing from the desktop, I empty my trash

Thanks for the tip, hopefully it will help others as well.

Best regards

Chris

I am currently having syncing problems right after Evernote for Windows installed update 5.1.0.2217 (270217), with Evernote notifying me thata "Synchronization failed Could not connect to Evernote server" continuously, even though I can access the internet from my computer, can sync the iPad Evernote app, and log into my Evernote account from my browser.

In the past, I have had similar problems after installing updates, so conclude that this has something to do with the update process.  I just upgraded to Premium last week, but the Premium service does not seem to provide any better usage or support for such issues.

What's up with this???  Evernote should fix this update/syncing problem permanently and provide better premium support if they want to have satisfied paying customers who recommend the service to their friends and coworkers.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had this problem for months and just solved it today.  It seems to be a problem with shared notebooks.  i.e. notebooks others had shared with me.   I submitted a ticket with Evernote and they read my log.  Said a linked notebook was causing it and they asked me to delete the notebook and empty trash.  Said to add back later if I wanted by contacting the owner who shared it with me.  Evernote shared it with us as "Evernote User Stories," heh heh. 

Following these instructions, I still had the problem.  I looked at my log, and I had another shared notebook.  I deleted that and the problem is gone.  So for me anyway, the shared notebooks caused the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I also have sync problem.

Having read all of the above, I have emptied the trash (which didn't help) and had a look at the logfile. This keeps repeating: 

11:04:50 [22336] 0% EDAMUserException: errorCode=LIMIT_REACHED parameter="Notebook"

A few days ago I got a message that I had reached the maximum number of synchronized folders.

I did the following:

1. created a new, local folder for an old project

2. transfered all the notes from the old, synchronized into the new, local folder

3. deleted the old folder

4. repeated this for 4 more projects.

I can now make new synchronized folders again.

However, my colleague with whom I share these folders has no authorisation to delete them so they are stuck on his pc. Is this the reason for the sync problem? Or do I have 2 issues now?

Hi i also get the same message this is what it says

13:44:53 [2864] 0% Session terminated normally, elapsed time: 6s
13:44:53 [2864] 0% * sent: 1.8KB, received: 4.8KB
13:44:53 [2864] 0% * 6s (100%) spent in EDAM RPC
13:47:19 [2864] 0% Connecting to www.evernote.com
13:47:19 [2864] 0% * loaded updateCount: 94
13:47:20 [2864] 0% Usage Metrics: sessionCount=1
13:47:20 [2864] 0% Client is up to date with the server, updateCount=94
13:47:20 [2864] 0% * saved updateCount: 94
13:47:20 [2864] 0% Authenticating notebook "College -Colum R" shared by c0lum_r
13:47:21 [2864] 0% Syncing notebook "College -Colum R" shared by c0lum_r
13:47:21 [2864] 0% * loaded linked notebook updateCount: 305
13:47:22 [2864] 0% Linked notebook is up to date with the server, updateCount=305
13:47:22 [2864] 0% * saved linked notebook updateCount: 305
13:47:23 [2864] 0% Syncing notebook "College-Sean" shared by doylers92
13:47:23 [2864] 0% * loaded linked notebook updateCount: 1294
13:47:23 [2864] 0% Linked notebook updateCount=1294, server updateCount=1315
13:47:23 [2864] 0% Retrieving list of notebook changes from the server
13:47:24 [2864] 0% Expunging 1 linked notebook note
13:47:25 [2864] 0% EDAMSystemException: errorCode=SHARD_UNAVAILABLE message="s327"
13:47:25 [2864] 0% Skipping uploading shortcuts because local shortcuts are not newer than the server shortcuts.
13:47:25 [2864] 0% Session terminated normally, elapsed time: 6s
13:47:25 [2864] 0% * sent: 1.8KB, received: 4.8KB
13:47:25 [2864] 0% * 5s (92%) spent in EDAM RPC
  • 2 weeks later...

I have had this problem for months and just solved it today.  It seems to be a problem with shared notebooks.  i.e. notebooks others had shared with me.   I submitted a ticket with Evernote and they read my log.  Said a linked notebook was causing it and they asked me to delete the notebook and empty trash.  Said to add back later if I wanted by contacting the owner who shared it with me.  Evernote shared it with us as "Evernote User Stories," heh heh. 

Following these instructions, I still had the problem.  I looked at my log, and I had another shared notebook.  I deleted that and the problem is gone.  So for me anyway, the shared notebooks caused the problem.

I've had the same problem, getting the "failure to sync" error message after adding a shared folder. After reading this forum, instead of deleting the folder completely, I went into properties for the shared folder and unchecked "Sync this notebook to my computer". After that, everything synced. At least this way, I won't lose the shared folder completely, in case I want to refer to something from it.

I've had the same problem, getting the "failure to sync" error message after adding a shared folder. After reading this forum, instead of deleting the folder completely, I went into properties for the shared folder and unchecked "Sync this notebook to my computer". After that, everything synced. At least this way, I won't lose the shared folder completely, in case I want to refer to something from it.

If this is the case, you are probably running into the same error as the previous poster. ("Shard Unavailable")

Doing it that way, you wont be able to see any new updates to the shared notebook you are using.

You can delete the notebook and ask the owner to reshare it with you and it should allow you to use the notebook as normal.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey found this post through Google search for "evernote synchronization failure" because I was having it!

So after my windows evernotet was having trouble synching, I googled it and after reading, I synched my evernote mobile and went back to windows version and it worked just fine.

So if you're having issues with your windows version, go synch your other versions manually and go back to it and it may help. It 100% worked for me.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I received the sync error message you've all described on my laptop starting yesterday. This coincided with the change Evernote implemented in the past few days that users of the free version of Evernote would be limited to 2 devices going forward. I opened Evernote on my phone, and was prompted to either upgrade or choose 2 of my devices to continue using for free. After walking through those steps, the sync works normally on my laptop again. Problem solved.

Archived