(Archived) Problem with OCR

Daydreamer

Hey EN friends,

that's my first posting here and I hope someone of you can help me. Ahhh, I am not a native english speaker. If you find errors in grammar and syntax: please be a bit patient.

I got some problems with OCR. Started a new note, choose my page camera, took the photo and have saved the note. The handwritten note contains a german pangram  - one sentence, which contains all characters.

So, I think my handwriting note should be readable for everyone of you. I mean, you can read all the characters. I tried to take this note with different pencils.

The result is: After waiting for 1 hour Evernote finds only two words "im" and "Bayern". Whats wrong here? Is my handwriting sluttish?

In every comment of other users I can read "Wow, what a awesome feature. Outstanding, great..." and so far.

Maybe I made something wrong. If not, the handwriting text recognition is completely useless for me.

post-152699-0-69336300-1380026684_thumb.

• Level 5*

Hi - I think you simply have to wait a little longer for the process to complete.  If you're not a Premium user,  your OCR gets done after other Premium users and in order.  It does take longer than one hour..............................................................................................................

Hi - I think you simply have to wait a little longer for the process to complete.  If you're not a Premium user,  your OCR gets done after other Premium users and in order.  It does take longer than one hour..............................................................................................................

gazumped thanks for your answer. I'm a premium user and I was waiting now for two days - I think that should be enough time for OCR recognition. But EN search still finds only the two words "im" and "Bayern". I don't know what I could change for a better recognition. What is your experience with handwriting text recognition? Is anyone of you able to post some examples for handwriting OCR recognition with successful search results? Is the thext recognition more oriented on single characters or complete words? And if it's oriented to complete words does it depend on the language? What I mean is: Do we get better results in english language than in german language?

Best regards

Daydreamer

• Level 5*

I think OCR on handwriting is as much art as science - but I'd bet the squared background you have confuses the heck out of any recognition software.  As an experiment,  could you retry the note with a plain background?  You might get much better results...  

Otherwise your scan looks fine;  9/10 for the handwriting - much more legible than mine!

gazumped, you are my hero ;-)

The problem was the squared backgroud. I wrote a new note on blank paper with 3 different pens and the last pangram was wrote in a more quick handwriting than the others. It needs only 30 seconds after upload and in the first two pangrams were all words found (100%!!!!), the third pangram results in 75% recognition (it was a very thin pencil) and the last pangram in 60% to 70%.

I'm really, really buffled now about the high rate in the last pangram.

Thank you so much for this hint!!  :)

new note

Archived