How do I add an audio note in EN for iOS 7?

Hi - I really like the new look for Evernote for iOS 7, but I cannot find how I add an audio note.  In a note, my keyboard has the microphone, but that TRANSCRIBES my audio...what I want to do is create an pure audio .wav (or whatever) file like it used to do. I use this all the time and cannot find how to activate it now (and could not find it in the knowledge base either).

I was disappointed that audio wasn't included in the "Quick Note" shortcut menu at the bottom - that would be GREAT and I use it SO often - way more than, say, a bullet note.  But if adding audio files is gone forever..err..I just hope it's hidden somewhere that I can't find on my own.  Please help me out.  Thanks. :-)

Has anyone else noticed that audio notes created on the new version of iphone app will not play in the windows client?  Hopefully that gets fixed soon!!!

I REALLY wish they would make it easier to record an audio note rather than having to click new quick note, the paper clip and then the microphone.  I would really appreciate it if they would put the microphone back on the main page somewhere like it used to be way back in the day.

Could not agree more.

After completing the iOS 7 & subsequent EN updates and not readily being able to locate the audio notes feature, I actually emailed EN support seeking help. Fortunately, I found this thread and learned the revised way to add audio notes.

I rely heavily on the audio notes feature and being able to easily access on main screen was a far superior feature of the previous version.

The new routine to access and setup an audio recording is cumbersome and adds time where I don't need it - getting everything going in the initial moments of a meeting.

Usage statistics by EN may say that the feature doesn't get much use which could have prompted the change, regardless I think it was a poorly executed one. Hopefully the audio notes button will return to the main screen in the next release or two, assuming the EN team looks at posts in these forums...

Thanks for the paper clip tip, Grumpy Monkey. You saved me as I'd just updated EN on my iPad and was going into a client meeting and discovered eeek! No audio notes!

Agree with others like karen that this is my most frequently used kind of note and I would prefer a one-tap to a 3-tap solution. Sure it's nice having a "clean" interface, but that should come behind usability. This would also apply for folks who need to use those other "paperclip" functions like photos.

Two other problems, one minor, one possibly critical:

1. When recording with old EN, the top bar in sleep mode would flash red so I knew by tapping the home button that i was successfully recording. That no longer happens. It would be nice to have it back.
  2. I record lengthy interviews of 45-70 minutes 3-4 times a day. Until this update, they were saved as .wav files and occupied about 5Mb. Now they're .m4a files of about 15Mb. This produces two problems:
  • much longer sync times
  • Much greater bandwidth - if i do 20 interviews a week, that's 80/month = 80*15Mb or 1.2Gb - there goes my Premium allowance! Is this a way to force me to buy bandwidth? Unless this can be modified to return to a more compact audio file, I'll have to go outside EN for recording and paste the audio into EN. Very time consuming!

How about it EN? can we have control over audio file settings?

Hi - I really like the new look for Evernote for iOS 7, but I cannot find how I add an audio note.  In a note, my keyboard has the microphone, but that TRANSCRIBES my audio...what I want to do is create an pure audio .wav (or whatever) file like it used to do. I use this all the time and cannot find how to activate it now (and could not find it in the knowledge base either).

I was disappointed that audio wasn't included in the "Quick Note" shortcut menu at the bottom - that would be GREAT and I use it SO often - way more than, say, a bullet note.  But if adding audio files is gone forever..err..I just hope it's hidden somewhere that I can't find on my own.  Please help me out.  Thanks. :-)

Same here, 5 mins into a lecture still looking for it, I spent the next 5 mins trying to figure out what happened to audio then googled "Audio evernote missing" and Karen's post saved me. Very frustrating putting this under the paper clip!

I agree that the earlier audio recording arrangement was much better for productivity. Evernote: Please don't make this a bloated app that is difficult to use. A big part of its appeal to me has been that it is so easy to use. The audio recording method now is too clunky for me to use in meetings. I'm back to paper, pen and a digital recorder for important meetings and interviews.

I have two things I think worth mentioning:

1. I absolutely agree with the sentiment that it should be easier to access audio notes. On the quick note bar, I would gladly sacrifice either the reminder, bullet point, or checklist for an audio button.
  2. As for audio quality - I am in love with the fact that they have finally transitioned over to m4a. As a songwriter, I found the old format to be essentially unusable and found myself constantly going through the many step process of recording in iOS's voice memo app, emailing the file into EN, and then later merging the audio to the corresponding note containing the song's lyrics. This has been a headache for a long time. I feel like I can finally recommend EN to fellow musicians without any reservations. Having done the calculations previously, I know that I'll still never go anywhere near having an overage my premium allocation, so this isn't a problem for me.

Something else I'll say though, for those wishing we could go back to the previous audio (low quality/lower filesize) is to rally for a user-definable option. If you'll notice, there's a setting in Account/Note editor/Image size where you can define the ability to reduce note size by scaling snapshots to a range of sizes. I believe this may be a new feature with the current release (I may be entirely wrong though). Giving audio notes the two options of either the older lower quality/lower filesize or the newer higher quality/higher filesize might make everyone happy. Admittedly, I'm not a programmer, and so I have no idea how technical it would be to implement the change between these two codecs. Also, while I feel bad for those for which the recent change in audio is a nuisance - I'm pretty sure it's a change that has made my day :)

I love reading this thread from my fellow audio tribe members! My use of the audio note comes in the wee hours when I'm fighting insomnia and/or have just woken up with some 2am brilliance that must (must!) be captured in Evernote, if only to drain the brain so I can go back to sleep.  See how handy the quick-menu would be here? ;-)  The other times I use it are when inspiration strikes while driving and I dictate into EN. Now there's waaay too many clicks to begin an audio note ("Don't Evernote and Drive").

I also have kept an eye on the Evernote Trunk hoping that someone would code a quick-add applet.  There's quick-adds for photos and text notes, but so far, none for audio. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great thread! How is that my MINI will transcribe w/ the mic icon (micicon?) but it will merely make a voice file on my iPhone? Surely I'm missing a command. Thanks in advance for the help.

The microphone icon on your iOS keyboard will transcribe to text however the little evernote microphone found hidden in the paperclip area is to record sound in m4a format.

I agree with others.

We NEED the microphone to have its own main shortcut.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

NEVERMIND- I redownloaded and reinstalled Evernote for desktop from the site (found that tip somewhere in these forums) and that worked. I now see the paper clip without upgrading the os to Mavericks

Archived