(Archived) Evernote for Windows 5.0.2 Beta 1

dlu

Hello Windows users!

Just pushed out 5.0.2 Beta 1, this includes a separation between business and personal notebooks. We also fixed "Search All Notes" to actually be searching all notes. In addition we have a whole lot of bug fixes. We've tried to clean up several misc crashes. Notable bug fixes include forward & back from Announcements, tags disappearing from the Outlook Clipper.

Please try it out and comment below. If you're on the beta track, you can go to Help >> Check for Updates. Or download it here http://cdn1.evernote.com/win5/prerelease/Evernote_5.0.2.1261.exe

• Level 5*

Ok, this is a big deal. This makes it easier to keep things separate. Much appreciated.

There is still the issue of tags. I still have a list of tags 30-50 screens long, depending on what is expanded and closed, and they are still somewhat nonsensical. For example, I have the following 3 tags:

1. #Quote (EdH) (547)
  2. #Quote (EdH)
  3. #Quote (EdH)
  • First of all, I don't understand why there are 3 of them. The tag does properly exist in my Business and Personal notebooks, so 2 I can understand. Not 3.
  • Second of all, in my personal notebooks, I have 16 notes tagged with #Quote. None of the three above show that.
  • Third of all, in my business notebooks, there are 547 notes tagged with #Quote, so #1 above is right, but why is it first? And how can I tell that is business. (I know what I really have because EN4 properly reports it.
  • Fourth of all, if I click on the first one, EN5 automagically selects all 3 and shows 563 notes (547+16) but seems unable to show me just the 547 I clicked on.
  • Fifth of all, there actually is a fourth #Quote tag in what resembles my personal hierarchy (under the .What tag) and it shows (16) notes, which is right. However, when I click on that personal tag, it too shows me all 563 notes, so again, no way to click on a tag and show the notes just associated with that tag. When I click on any of these #Quote tags, the thing below "All Notes" in my right hand window shows {#Quote} {#Quote} {#Quote} {#Quote}, so it s getting all 4 no matter which one I select.

EN4 does none of this. It all works as expected.

This is but one of many examples. I honestly have no idea what is going on with the tag listing.

To me the way it should work is this:

• The tag listing is context sensitive.
    • If in a personal notebook, only show me the tags that are personal.
    • If in a business notebook, preferably only show me the tags for that business notebook. I'd settle for all business tags, but in a company with many business notebooks, seeing 400 tags when the notebook I am in has 20 tags is a pain. Still better than seeing 800 tags when my personal are thrown in there.
  • The tag listing should be separated like notebooks. Personal vs business. Again, EN4 does this. Not well, not awesomely, but the distinction is there. It has all personal tags at the top in a nice hierarchy, and then as an afterthought, a "Business Tags" at the bottom with them in a massive alphabetical list.
  • The tag listing should be able to hide any tags not used or assigned.

There are still other things I'd like to see in EN5 bring back functionally (not necessarily visually) from EN4, but the tag issue is, IMHO, the last remaining hurdle in making it workable for business users, so I'll limit my comments to that in this post.

Thanks for the work! The folder thing is, again, HUGE!

• Level 5*

@Ed, I agree that the tag tree needs work (I'll lay off the separate folder/stack thingie for now). It desperately needs the ability to be filterable, either explicitly or via context, as you suggest. Also, the ability to show the tree with main branches of source accounts would be useful (i.e., main branches of Personal, Business, and one for each account from which you have shared notebooks).

The multiple identical tag thing has driven me crazy for awhile. I don't believe that there need to be multiple instances of the same tag at the same level in the tree. It is useful to be able to tag-search across notebooks from different accounts -- common vocabulary is a collaboration plus; why clutter up the main tree? Note that a search for tag "MyTag" will do exactly that used in a search string (typed in or saved). The flip side is that it can also be useful to to specify the account-specific instance of a duplicate tag name: that would implicitly determine context: if I can select somehow (via right click on the shared tag? by being able to expand a shared tag into a mini tree of its sources?) e.g., "Mytag:Business", then that should isolate on the Business notebooks, and so on. Of course, that should be supported in the search (if not the grammar, then at least by client-side interpretation, which already can do searching/filtering that cannot be done by the search grammar.

Also, it looks like "Hide Unassigned Tags" is either out of favor, at least for the moment; it's out of the menus at least, but still, that was a useful option, if not optimal.

@dlu: One niggle: why does the View / Jump to Tags menu entry have a checkmark?

One more bug which was not resolved: In fullscreen mode a pdf which can be shown fully on the screen blinks/pumps permanently (the scrollbar is toggled on/off persistently). Very annoying.

Seeing a couple of graphical glitches

- Note with multiple attachments, sometimes load weird, appear highlighted?

Reloading the note fixes it. Not sure what causes it though.

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/23d93419-d9d0-4e8f-82de-6a57bb1d64f0/9e3ea347533bd48d401d40f2a5b19f00

EDIT: Not sure that this one is too common, have only seen it once or twice

- Related notes bar covers the bottom of the note when scrolled all the way to the bottom

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/a6646051-f730-4e6d-9661-152ca1a82edd/b547dbc3b6cfbc08bc919320889f96ca

- One reported before I believe. Expanding notes cause a weird graphical glitch, where the bottom of the note s redrawn.

- Create new note

- Press Enter to generate a note that requires scrolling past the already defined area.

Aaaaaargh!

NOooooooooooo

Just spotted I lost ALL of my import folders. 

Need to look at an old version if possible and find out what they all are. I had LOADS of them!

Problem is, when you put them back in they import 'every' document you have already imported, so I have to then put a sub folder in the original folder called, 'Already In Evernote' then drag all the existing documents into here. I do keep all my documents on the computer as well as on Evernote.

Any ideas if the list can be seen anywhere?

Best regards

Chris

Could you please make reminders remind me when they are due.  

This is a two-fold problem:

1) Not receiving any email reminders, even though the option is selected under 'reminders' tab in Options.

2) No in app. notifications (unless i have missed them!).  Surely a reminder should be persistent, until it has received a user acknowledgement that the reminder has been seen.

Thank you

Hi dlu

Nice one, I love to have business and non-business separated, thanks! One question though, talking about reminders: I only use the list view, since I'm pretty much relying on tags and dates when I browse my notes. However, I don't see a sign of reminders in the list view. In the two other views, the reminders are there. I would expect a column named "reminder", showing the due date or something, but there's nothing like this. Instead, there's a "subject" which shows a timestamp (for whatever reason).

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s313/sh/a98e3b32-a3df-498a-869c-ec80e7083111/29f1a4bc2e80f4ee312d09a064621d27

1 - Will the reminders be available some day in the list view?

2 - What's the "subject" about?

Cheers

André

• Level 5*

Need to look at an old version if possible and find out what they all are. I had LOADS of them!

Problem is, when you put them back in they import 'every' document you have already imported, so I have to then put a sub folder in the original folder called, 'Already In Evernote' then drag all the existing documents into here. I do keep all my documents on the computer as well as on Evernote.

This is one of those settings, IMHO, that should be stored in our cloud account. I am not sure where they are stored. I looked in the registry but didn't see anything. I suspect it is inside the .enex file somewhere.

I have a printscreen of my import folders for this reason - learned it the hard way a few years ago. However, I have mine imported then deleted, so don't have the dupcliate issue you do.

Hi dlu

Nice one, I love to have business and non-business separated, thanks! One question though, talking about reminders: I only use the list view, since I'm pretty much relying on tags and dates when I browse my notes. However, I don't see a sign of reminders in the list view. In the two other views, the reminders are there. I would expect a column named "reminder", showing the due date or something, but there's nothing like this. Instead, there's a "subject" which shows a timestamp (for whatever reason).

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s313/sh/a98e3b32-a3df-498a-869c-ec80e7083111/29f1a4bc2e80f4ee312d09a064621d27

Cheers

André

Subject is an old field that was used previously. I believe back to before v4? (I have never been able to use it anyway)

Right now, it appears as though it is populated with the date and time that an email note is received.

The only notes that I have this field populated are email notes, including one that says 29 mins ago. So it is still being populated.

Not sure if this will change in the future. I also don't think you can modify this field either.

Hi dlu

Cheers

André

Ye I agree, reminders are needed in the list view. I use list view most of the time because it is useful in that you can change the sorting very fast by clicking on the column headers. 

1) Not receiving any email reminders, even though the option is selected under 'reminders' tab in Options.

2) No in app. notifications (unless i have missed them!).  Surely a reminder should be persistent, until it has received a user acknowledgement that the reminder has been seen.

Thank you

For what its worth, I don't have an issue with in-app notifications.  They're quick (maybe on screen for 5 - 10s in the bottom right) but they are enough for me.   As for email reminders, that is only for the daily digest of what is due that day.  That's not an email for each reminder --- although that would be a nice feature to be able to turn on.

Thank you

For what its worth, I don't have an issue with in-app notifications.  They're quick (maybe on screen for 5 - 10s in the bottom right) but they are enough for me.   As for email reminders, that is only for the daily digest of what is due that day.  That's not an email for each reminder --- although that would be a nice feature to be able to turn on.

An email that is a daily digest of what is due that day would be fine by me too... but I don't receive those.

Thank you

An email that is a daily digest of what is due that day would be fine by me too... but I don't receive those.

I would try checking on the web client to see what your settings are there. It might be an issue where the Windows client isn't setting them properly (in which case let me know).

Thank you

I would try checking on the web client to see what your settings are there. It might be an issue where the Windows client isn't setting them properly (in which case let me know).

Hi dlu.  Yes... the correct email address is set, and 'reminder email' is checked, in the web client too.

Aaaaaargh!

NOooooooooooo

Best regards

Chris

Hi Dlu,

Any solution for me?

Regards

Chris

I am not sure whether this is a know bug, but selecting a tag from drop down menu in the search box is broken. Say I type "volat" and I select the tag "volatiltiy" from the menu. A search is performed for keyword "volat" not for notes tagged with the tag "volatility"

This appears in the version 5.0.2.1261 (261769) 

Reminders don't completely clear. This was true of the previous version also.

Setting a reminder adds the reminder window at the top of the notes list. Clearing the reminder has the

note showing the reminder cleared, but the notification window and the count remain.

Going to the Web shows no reminder. Set a reminder, clear it, then returning to Windows and syncing finally removes it.

Regards,

Gary

Hi Dlu,

Many thanks for the information. I can confirm that I ran the 'secret debug' programme and that re synced my database, which is, as you state, the reason I lost my 'import folder'. 

Will go back to another computer I have been using for testing purposes and hopefully get my list.

Best regards

Chris

Thank you

Hi dlu.  Yes... the correct email address is set, and 'reminder email' is checked, in the web client too.

YAY... I have email notification of reminders!

Thank you, dlu. :)

In release 5.0.1.1188, there is a bug with reminders.  Even after you clear a reminder, it still shows in the reminder window.

Has this bug been addressed in the 5.0.2 Beta 1 release?

It doesn't appear to have been resolved yet.   I believe this is also what's causing my saved searches that include reminderDoneTime:* to not filter notes that have been completed correctly.

I think this is where I can leave comments regarding this pre release. If not, point me in the correct location. I don't use notifications or reminders in Evernote so I can't comment on that feature. I do however have a lot of tags.

You probably already ran across this, but the scroll bar on the far left (the one that controls the shortcuts, notebooks, and tags follows my mouse even when I haven't selected that area. I'm across the screen going down to the windows menu bar or going up to close my browser window and off to the side Evernote is scrolling up and down. It doesn't do it on a mouse wheel, just on the mouse movement, but it's a little dizzying. 

• Level 5*

"Hide Unassigned Tags" is crucial for those of us with a long list of tags. Please may we have it back? :-)

+10

And context relating to the notebook you are in. In EN4, I was in a very purpose specific notebook and when I clicked it, I got a listing of 5 tags. Awesome! I knew immediately what belonged in there. With EN5, I got a listing of 500+.

For those of you who haven't tried Jump to Tags (Shift+Alt+T), could you please try that out? It should be useful for folks with lots of tags and let people quickly filter, and especially for people who have lots of tags within a single notebook.

If it doesn't work for you, feedback is very welcome.

thanks as always!

• Level 5*

For those of you who haven't tried Jump to Tags (Shift+Alt+T), could you please try that out? It should be useful for folks with lots of tags and let people quickly filter, and especially for people who have lots of tags within a single notebook.

thanks as always!

That brings up tags in the current notebook, but it cannot be used for drag-and-drop or filtering on a tag. In fact, not sure what it does. It just sticks a selected tag below the notebook name, but my view of the notebook is unaltered, and I still have a tag listing to the left of 500+ tags.

Just thought I would let you know the saga of my missing 'Import Folders'.

Having removed them by running the 'de-bug' program, I put my saved database onto a spare computer, I was then able to look at the myriad of 'Import Folders' I had and put them in a Note on my Evernote Notebook for future reference.

Best regards

Chris

Thank you

Nick, what did you do to fix this?  I was having the same issues of not receiving any emails for either personal notes or business notes.  I just checked the web version and all looked fine there...

In any case, I just set up a bunch of emails for tomorrow...hopefully I get an email!

thanks as always!

Dlu, this functionality still not working for Business Notebooks.  See http://discussion.ev...e-5#entry222638 and http://discussion.ev...e-4#entry220788

Happy to do a webmeeting or something of the sort to show you the behavior if that helps....

Thank you

Nick, what did you do to fix this?  I was having the same issues of not receiving any emails for either personal notes or business notes.  I just checked the web version and all looked fine there...

In any case, I just set up a bunch of emails for tomorrow...hopefully I get an email!

Hi Xabi... I did nothing. I suddenly started receiving emails.  I assume the fix is something that dlu must have sorted at his end.

Hi dlu

I am using this version on Windows and reported a problem via chat support today, which you may like to know about.

I just opened a business account today with a colleague and I tried to publish some notebooks, in my business folder , to the business library, so that my colleague would have access to them. After publishing I synced (a number of times actually) but the notebooks would not show up in the BL. Only when I had either quit or logged out/in did they show up.

In contrast, trying to do the same thing via the Web interface worked immediately.

Sorry to add to your list of woes!

Best, Victor

@Dlu I have been a long time users of ALT+Shift+T for tag searching and right now is still broken when compared to how it works in the current non beta version of evernote.

If I hit ALT+Shift+T and type a the word Performance it used to filter the list of possible tags to include items like "performance enhacements", ".net performance tweaks", and "SQL query performance."

Now it only shows me "Perfromance Enhacements."

Aside from that if I hit ALT+Shift+T and then press it again without typing anything the tag list still shows.

The original reason I logged on was to report another issue, now if type CTRL+ALT+F, type some text in a tag like the word performance from the above example, use the down arrow to select something like SQL Query Performance, and then it enter, it doesn't actually filter to that tag any more.

This worked in the previous beta version.

Aaaaaargh!

NOooooooooooo

Best regards

Chris

I've had this problem too (along with a couple of other problems) -- I do have a support ticket already open... but I'm very interested in the answers here:

1. Is there anyway to prevent  the duplicate imports from happening?? They use up all my data allowance and are a pain to reset the list manually;

2. Is there anyway to export the list of imported folders?  I am also working from screen shots printed out, and it seems like there should be an easier way :)

Thanks,

Leea

thanks as always!

The problem is that with such a long list of tags, I can't always remember if I tag something "manual" or "handbook," so it's nice to filter by notebook, then by tag. Shift-Alt-T works, but there is an extra click. Instead of click notebook>scroll down tag list, it's click notebook>shift-alt-tag>scroll down notebook. Tag hierarchies are also handy, which you don't get in the flat pop-up list. The focus needs to be on the note or note list as well, so sometimes it's first click on the note, then shift-alt-t.

The popup lists populate slowly, and with one of my notebooks, it brings up the wrong tag list.

Thank you

Hi Xabi... I did nothing. I suddenly started receiving emails.  I assume the fix is something that dlu must have sorted at his end.

Hooray! the emailing worked!

Btw, really nice touch that the emails for reminders in my personal notebooks go to my personal email account, and the emails for reminders in my business notebooks go to my business email address.

Now if we can get the tag filtering in business notebooks sorted out, we will be golden! 

Thanks for all your hard work, dlu and others...

"reminderTime:day+1" does not work in Windows. It still attempts to use the "1" as a search term not as "day+1". This search works on the web version and also my iPhone and iPad. I hope we can fix this for Windows since without this search ability it severely limits the usefulness of reminders on Windows.

Dear Evernote,

today I upgraded to the latest build (5.0.2.1332) and all of a sudden I can`t show the notes associated with tags showing up in the search result (search function in the upper right corner)

I do a search query and a drop down menu with all the tags show up and I click one of them and none of the associated notes show up...

this is a major issue, please see what you can do to fix this... Basically I can`t see my notes by using tags (although my tags/saved searches on the shortcuts works fine)

thank you.

• Level 5*

Aaaaaargh!

NOooooooooooo

Best regards

Chris

Chris,

Just wondering, why do you keep the documents in the import folders once they have been loaded into EN?

Hi Cal,

Just about the way I have been working for the last ten years. I have specific folders on my computer set up in a simple straightforward way that works for me. Of course I don't need them, but don't want to get rid of them just yet.

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*

Hi Cal,

Just about the way I have been working for the last ten years. I have specific folders on my computer set up in a simple straightforward way that works for me. Of course I don't need them, but don't want to get rid of them just yet.

Best regards

Chris

Chris,

Yeah, been there.  It took me until a couple of years ago to let go.  Just so you know, I have survived letting go of those files.  Your reload issue is what pushed me over the edge.   :)

Cal

Did anyone understand the issue I had with using the search box (not the search box in the tag area but the search box in the upper right field) and tags? It`s a major issue. Please let me know if you have questions... Basically I can`t search for tags anymore.

And right now I`m stuck with the latest build and if I decide to "downgrade" I`ll have to resync my 20 gig database!

@Segando I am having the same problem. I understood exactly what you meant. My only hope is that they rev quickly and give us another beta as this is just doing horrible things to my workflow.

One of the reasons I am participating in this Beta is because I lead a team of people who all depend on the same workflow that I do with evernote and if I can hopefully get these addressed before the full release it will save my team tons of time and pain.

I updated to 5.0.2.1332 on Monday. Since then, every time I sync (manually or automatically) I get the warning, 

Synchronization complete

Sync failed due to unexpected problem at server side

It appears to be syncing fine (notes are available on my other devices) but I get that notification every time.

• Level 5*

I updated to 5.0.2.1332 on Monday. Since then, every time I sync (manually or automatically) I get the warning, 

Synchronization complete

It appears to be syncing fine (notes are available on my other devices) but I get that notification every time.

you should send in a support ticket and include your log. It is either something with your cloud account, your local database, or a particular shard you are on, all of which EN will have to assist with.

Synchronization complete

Thanks for posting. We're aware of this issue and are working on it.

Synchronization complete

Thanks for posting. We're aware of this issue and are working on it.

Do you need me to send in a support ticket? (Sounds like not, but I'm just making sure!)

• Level 5*

Only if you'd like help from support. We think we have a decent handle on it. Thanks!

Will support be able to do anything about it, or should we wait for a new release? I'm getting this on my home and work accounts.

Re. tag serch: I think a lot of people use the search box in the upper right corner primarily for tags searches but it`s very slow given that it also includes regular text searches as well as saved searches, and given that I now have over 20 000 notes in Evernote the search for tags naturally slows down my workflow a great deal. Besides from accessing my shortcuts to specific notebooks/tags, searching for tags in the upper right corner is the second most used reference point for me when I want to go to a note.

The tag search, however, when you double click the tag area on the menue to the left, is very fast! I wish this tag search (ONLY tag search not searching for other keywords) could be avaliable in the toolbar area (e.g. available when you "customize toolbar")... could this be arranged? it would fit very well with your new clean fast minimlistic GUI where it`s all about getting to your notes fast.

I also want to make sure that Mr. DLU have reported the issues Cmagnusen and me are experiencing with tags in the latest beta?

Thanks Evernote. I love almost everything you`ve done so far with the new version but please include a tag search box in the toolbar area, it would mean a lot!

All the best,

Segando (premium user)

I have three issues to solve:

- When I change from a notebook to another, the notes load very slowly (three to four seconds) in the new notebook selected until it pass a certain time. Generally the notes and its contents load very slowly in this new version of evernote. This issue is very important for me, because it is very uncomfortable.

- I have problems with I copy / paste images from evernote to other programs. The images are not copied properly to the clipboard.

- When I select the option to show all notes, it not showing the last note that has been edited, it is showing the note that I have opened at the time.

magicRaul (premium user)

• Level 5*

- I have problems with I copy / paste images from evernote to other programs. The images are not copied properly to the clipboard.

Specifically, what it the problem you are seeing? You may be able to use a 3rd party utility like "Clipboard Format Spy" to help diagnose.

- When I select the option to show all notes, it not showing the last note that has been edited, it is showing the note that I have opened at the time.

I am guessing that this is by design: they are probably trying to lessen the surprise that some users feel when they lose the current note that they are looking at. In other words, some people would prefer the behavior that you report. And after all, that note is part of All Notes, it's just not at the top of the list. On the other hand, if you pick a context that doesn't contain the current note, the view will switch to another note, as far as I can tell.

- When I change from a notebook to another, the notes load very slowly (three to four seconds) in the new notebook selected until it pass a certain time. Generally the notes and its contents load very slowly in this new version of evernote. This issue is very important for me, because it is very uncomfortable.

I have recorded a video with the loading behavior of notes for version 5 and version 4 (using the same notebooks in both tests). It can see that the response time is much greater in version 5. From my point of view, it is unacceptable for a quality program like evernote.

Because of this, I do not recommend the use of version 5 because it becomes very problematic to work with it.

I have tried to reinstall version 5 several times but this does not solve the problem.

I hope that evernote can solve this important problem soon.
  • 3 weeks later...

Dear Evernote,

today I upgraded to the latest build (5.0.2.1332) and all of a sudden I can`t show the notes associated with tags showing up in the search result (search function in the upper right corner)

I do a search query and a drop down menu with all the tags show up and I click one of them and none of the associated notes show up...

this is a major issue, please see what you can do to fix this... Basically I can`t see my notes by using tags (although my tags/saved searches on the shortcuts works fine)

thank you.

Seriously, we`ve had like 3-4 releases since I adressed this issue back in september. I upgraded to the latest buid today and this bug is still there! This is a major issue for many users of Evernote. Please fix this.

Thank you Evernote.

• Level 5*

Dear Evernote,

thank you.

Seriously, we`ve had like 3-4 releases since I adressed this issue back in september. I upgraded to the latest buid today and this bug is still there! This is a major issue for many users of Evernote. Please fix this.

Thank you Evernote.

Segando,

It seems to work okay in 5.0.3.1614.  Is the context in the search box set to encompass the notes for which you are searching?  Worked in previous versions for me as well....

• Level 5*

Dear Evernote,

thank you.

Thank you Evernote.

Segando, this the the 4th topic I've seen this morning where you copied/pasted the exact same content. Once is sufficient. See the Forum Rules of Conduct, section 5. 

Dear Evernote,

thank you.

Thank you Evernote.

Segando, this the the 4th topic I've seen this morning where you copied/pasted the exact same content. Once is sufficient. See the Forum Rules of Conduct, section 5. 

Sorry, will not happen again.... although, please le me answer this specific issue in two seperate posts since two different users asked for evidence....

Dear Evernote,

thank you.

Thank you Evernote.

Segando,

It seems to work okay in 5.0.3.1614.  Is the context in the search box set to encompass the notes for which you are searching?  Worked in previous versions for me as well....

I just uploaded a video on youtube to explain what`s actually happening when I search for a tag and then try to click on that tagresult.

(use fullscreen please)

thanks.

Archived