(Archived) iOS 7 verstion - announcements section

lgoose

Dear programmers/developers/product managers, I sincerely understand the announcements feature from several standpoints, but please, please allow me to get rid of it, specially on the new iOS design (in my wildest dreams I could simply select that on an account-wide basis).
I breathe evernote, I read every single post you or anyone on the web does about it, for me the announcements section is just old news. I get the emails too. oh yeah, and the blog.
Currently I have to scam through every announcement to move it to the bottom of the home screen (which I loved, contrary to common feedback so far).
Besides, as a Premium subs we already control the ad's part, can't this be enabled on the same basis?
Thanks in advance.

(side note, only adding this since I tried to talk to support and they informed you don't have a ticketing system for reports, which I sincerely hope it's not true.  Among a lot of field experience I could just brag about, I think would be quite... ironic, that a note taking company wouldn't have a ticketing system for requests/ideas/projects).

Hi folks!

I appreciate you guys taking the time to chime on this. We do think the Announcements content is an important way for us to communicate with (the vast majority of) folks who don't frequent our blog, subscribe to newsletters, etc. This section is also especially important for brand-new users, as we put a lot of 'how to use Evernote' and use case examples in there for them.

That said, we want to have a good balance with access to your own content, especially in the limited mobile space. In our next release, Announcements will move to the bottom once you've opened the section once -- rather than the current behavior of once all content is read -- so that your stuff keeps the top slot.

-Jamie

That said, we want to have a good balance with access to your own content, especially in the limited mobile space. In our next release, Announcements will move to the bottom once you've opened the section once -- rather than the current behavior of once all content is read -- so that your stuff keeps the top slot.

-Jamie

Thanks for the reply Jamie! That would be good enough, still I find a bit inconsistent with the rest of the product, in the OSX version I can simply go to "view" -> Sidebar options and uncheck announcements.

I guess that's a start.... but could you also have it sync across devices so that if you read all the announcements on one device it doesn't show them as un-read on another device?  It also seems to me like every few weeks, or maybe less, the same old 'announcements' seem to come back again and mark themselves as un-read. 

Seems llike I'm always being told how to e-mail to my account and things like that....

• Level 5*

Hi folks!

I appreciate you guys taking the time to chime on this. We do think the Announcements content is an important way for us to communicate with (the vast majority of) folks who don't frequent our blog, subscribe to newsletters, etc. This section is also especially important for brand-new users, as we put a lot of 'how to use Evernote' and use case examples in there for them.

-Jamie

Jamie, MOST of us don't need a daily, or even weekly, or monthly dose of your announcements.  Those that are interested will have subscribed to your blogs, the forum, etc.  It is just another form of spam.  For those that are interested, let them subscribe to email announcements.

Let's be honest here, your announcements are really just EN ads.  You gave us Premium account owners the option to turn off ads.  Please respect that for your own ads/announcements.

I agree that this section should be optional if not entirely removed. In the latest version there is also a "Market" section that is equally annoying. Paying a monthly fee for a service and being fed advertisements on the main interface is extremely frustrating. I like keeping up with Evernote news and updates, which is why I follow Evernote on Twitter. When I want to use the service, I want to use it, not be reminded of all of the other Evernote things I can buy and use. 

Please remove, or at least move off the front page, both the Announcements and Market sections, or provide the option to do so for Premium users.

As always, thanks for your continued feedback. The 'move to the bottom after opened' option described above is now out in today's release of 7.0.1. This, we believe, helps users who do want to see Evernote information still find it -- but keeps their personal content a priority.

That said, I can confirm that we will be looking at an option for Premium users to remove these sections in a near-term release.

Please make it a OPTION if a user want to see the Announcements in the List. It's much to present, even at the Bottom. And now You even added the "Market Section"

At least for Premium Users there has to be an OPTION to turn it off. I paid to get rid of Ads, an now you add the Market Section which is annoying.

• Level 5*

As always, thanks for your continued feedback. The 'move to the bottom after opened' option described above is now out in today's release of 7.0.1. This, we believe, helps users who do want to see Evernote information still find it -- but keeps their personal content a priority.

That said, I can confirm that we will be looking at an option for Premium users to remove these sections in a near-term release.

Where is this at? I have 7.0.1.304352 and darned if I can find this option.

And please, for premium users. I have to see this stuff twice in my phone and ipad.

And thanks for this! (once I figure out how to enable it)

And please, for premium users. I have to see this stuff twice in my phone and ipad.

The setting is not there yet.  In 7.0.1 the announcements section does move to the bottom (which is what he said).

There is no option to remove it totally yet.  And in 7.0.1 you get the huge "marketplace" section right below the announcements section.  THAT is the one I really need to get rid of.

Because, with all due respect, I DO NOT need to see an offer to buy "business socks" or a backpack when I open Evernote on iOS.  I actually think the socks are kind of cool, but a quick shortcut to buy stuff is effectively a placed ad and I really need that to be removable due to my general "adware has no place on my iPhone" philosophy, which I pretty strongly stick to.  I pay for things I value; and will not accept adware as a part of that as a matter of principle.

I want the option to arrange the tab how ever I want. It's so darn busy now that it defeats the purpose and just isn't useful. Announcements would be the first thing I'd dump. I get your email updates so I don't need announcements taking up space.

Plus, I'm a premium user. I shouldn't have to endure your peddling all your merchandise on my main page.

• Level 5*

The setting is not there yet.  In 7.0.1 the announcements section does move to the bottom (which is what he said).

There is no option to remove it totally yet.  And in 7.0.1 you get the huge "marketplace" section right below the announcements section.  THAT is the one I really need to get rid of.

Because, with all due respect, I DO NOT need to see an offer to buy "business socks" or a backpack when I open Evernote on iOS.  I actually think the socks are kind of cool, but a quick shortcut to buy stuff is effectively a placed ad and I really need that to be removable due to my general "adware has no place on my iPhone" philosophy, which I pretty strongly stick to.  I pay for things I value; and will not accept adware as a part of that as a matter of principle.

Well, not on mine it doesn't. It is still at the top, even after "reading" all of them so the "new" tag is missing. Still sitting at the top on both my iPhone and iPad, both of which have the latest from the app store.

@JHULL

I am already a paying user, no need to annoy me with this advertisements.

What hapend to Evernote? Feels like you shifted from "lets have happy customers" to "lets annoy them until they give us money and then some more".

Plus that pain with the new iOS app and being forced to log in every time. Do you guys even do QA? How could you release such a version?

Also, raised a ticket for the announcements to go away.

I agree completely with everybody here. I'm a paying customer, and I don't need my precious screen real estate taken up by some useless announcements that I already get through RSS. And I also agree that the "Evernote Market" is even more annoying. I don't care about triangular messenger bags. And even if I did, the shop is US only, so I couldn't even buy it.

What happened to your "100 year company" lingo? Or is your new plan to annoy us all to death before that?

• Level 5

Well, not on mine it doesn't. It is still at the top, even after "reading" all of them so the "new" tag is missing. Still sitting at the top on both my iPhone and iPad, both of which have the latest from the app store.

With the update to EN 7.0.1 it jumped back to the top and stayed there even after I 'read' all of them again, stupid.

• Level 5*

At least I can now by Evernote branded socks in the Evernote Market! :blink:

Yes. This functionality is more important than being able to duplicate notes. All about priorities.

This last update was painful--counterproductive in a productivity app. Evernote has put the users last with the most recent update.  Ads should never be prioritized above the user's own notes and content.  Hiding the user's notes behind additional taps in order to shove ads under the guise of "announcements" and a "marketplace" has damaged your brand.

1. Push a server side fix: have the marketplace be empty, and clear out the announcements

2. Push an app fix: remove the marketplace ads from the UI, and never prioritize ads above the user's notes

Archived