(Archived) Possible to revert to older version? (Due to disk thrashing)

windpower

There is much that I like about version 5.  But I would like to know whether it is possible to revert back to version 4.  Here's why:

Using version 5 results in a lot more disk trashing.  This doesn't happen with any other program I use, though it did happen -- albeit to a much lesser extend -- in Evernote version 4 as well.  

Both the program and database are located on disks that do not spin down.  Yet, when I try to search for something I can initially type only two letters.  After I a few seconds I can type more, but Evernote soon says "Not responding."

A while back I started a new note into which I pasted some text.  Than EN was "not responding" for 98 seconds.  

The PC, running Windows 7, has plenty of memory and disk space.  Like I said, no other program (e.g. ACDSee with a huge database) runs into this problem.

The "not responding" delays slow me down too much.

The size of my database is 2.76 GB.

• Level 5

I believe Evernote forces a complete re-indexing of your data when you upgrade which can take a lot of time. Unfortunately, Evernote has been silent on the expected duration of the indexing vs the different sizes of databases - hours? days? weeks?

Regarding the downgrade, sorry but I don't know. You might have to rely on a previous backed up copy of your .exb file and possibly lose data you have added after the upgrade. I can't find anything in the Evernote Knowledgebase that addresses this question. I searched for downgrade and there were no mentions of the word.

I have "Not responding" more than in the previous version too and over smaller changes (like clicking anywhere on the EN menu etc)/ My database file is twice bigger though - maybe that's the problem.

I have read about people with databases much larger than ours, but I have never read anything about upper limits.

I believe Evernote forces a complete re-indexing of your data when you upgrade which can take a lot of time. Unfortunately, Evernote has been silent on the expected duration of the indexing vs the different sizes of databases - hours? days? weeks?

Regarding the downgrade, sorry but I don't know. You might have to rely on a previous backed up copy of your .exb file and possibly lose data you have added after the upgrade. I can't find anything in the Evernote Knowledgebase that addresses this question. I searched for downgrade and there were no mentions of the word.

My v5 database indexed in about 10 minutes, and did not grow significantly.  

I do have backups, but note that I also experienced disk thrashing with v4 -- although to a lesser extent.  EN is the only program I use that does this. 

• Level 5

My database (.exb file) is 4.1 GB
Running Evernote Windows 4.6.7.8409 (268917) Public

No disk thrashing on my machine.

The hard drive is positively ancient (7 years old), but it makes no noise when searching the 25,000+ notes in Evernote. The drive light flashes on for a blink of time and goes off almost immediately. Search results appear in milliseconds. The speed of search is Evernote's biggest benefit to me and that is why I have been opposed to all the new exotic bells, whistles and eye-candy added on by Evernote.

"Not Responding"

I have not seen the "not responding" issue due to Evernote. But I will see it when I have 20+ tabs open in Firefox, running Skype, and playing World of Warcraft all at the same time. The Task Manager (Ctrl - Alt - Delete) shows I am using too much memory.

2 Character Delay

The delay after typing the first 2 characters into the search field is so short I cannot measure it. Just in the range of a fraction of a second. I don't bother waiting for it, and just continue typing the search term.

No disk thrashing on my machined

After reading your message I looked around and found this information:

Use Evernote’s Secret Debug Menu to Optimize and Speed Up Searching

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/40769/use-evernote%E2%80%99s-secret-debug-menu-to-optimize-and-speed-up-searching/

I tried the suggestions there with Evernote v5.

Optimizing the database took longer than 5 hours (I had to pick someone up at the airport and was gone for a couple of hours, so I don't know when the process was finished).

Here is the result:

Little to no disk trashing: There is some thrashing when, after not using EN for a while (10, 15 minutes) I select 'All Notes'.  However, it is significantly less.  Also: no disk thrashing when searching for something, or when trying to enter a new note.  

Not Responding: This problem no longer occurs

Character delay: There still is a brief delay after typing the second letter, but now it is negligible.

So, in my case optimizing the database in the manner described has greatly improved my Evernote v5 desktop experience.  

I think I'll run this database optimization on a regular basis, overnight.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to have my database size as 2.x GB under the Official version 4.xx (and the unofficial portable version) and somehow it crushed every time while opening.

My solution is to mark some notebooks as local and move frequently changed attachments and large pdf files to dropbox and always keeping my database less than 1GB, and it works.

• Level 5

I used to have my database size as 2.x GB under the Official version 4.xx (and the unofficial portable version) and somehow it crushed every time while opening.

My solution is to mark some notebooks as local and move frequently changed attachments and large pdf files to dropbox and always keeping my database less than 1GB, and it works.

Evernote does have a scaling problem.

I saw a comment from one of the Evangelists that the program could theoretically handle a 9.5 TB database.

But in reality, based on comments from others, the largest database has to be much, much, much smaller. Other than the vague "we want to be your 2nd brain" slogan, I have not seen anything concrete from Evernote on the maximum database size.They are going to have to raise the bar on scalability if they want their Business version to succeed.

Other power users have reported similar scaling problems with Evernote's difficulty in handling large number of notes.

Some users resort to converting their PDF's down to bare bone text only.

Others ended up stripping out portions of their data into multiple copies of Evernote.

Certainly it gives me reason for concern if I want to use it as my daily storage vehicle of data.

100 year company? Maybe, but not 100 years of data.

I tried the debugging and damn if it didn't look like it might work. Sadly, it didn't. Within the hour, I got the "not responding" message and had to close down again. Five or six times a day, Evernote freezes up and there don't appear to be any answers out there.

• Level 5*

We started this thread just accepting that you wanted to downgrade and looked at ways to do that - if you're willing to try and cure the thrashing,  there may be stuff that hasn't been tried..  My database is over 12GB - but I'm not using v5 yet...

So - for problems like this.  

After each stage below (apart from 1) check whether the problem still exists.  

1. Support Ticket
  2. Download and run CrystalDiskInfo to check your HD
  3. Defrag and spring clean HD (Lots of useful web links on this)  
  4. [Restart]
  5. Export any local notebooks to ENEX (and backup whole database again)
  6. Revo Uninstall and reinstall
  7. Wait to sync and download database (may take some time!)
  8. Re-Import any local notes
  9. [Restart]
  • 3 weeks later...

I believe I've uncovered an important clue here, if anyone else is still having this problem. Yesterday, I made it entire day without the dreaded "not responding" error. The early part of today, as well. Then I went down to the office (I've been on vacation the past couple days) and fiddled with my Evernote desktop program there. Got home and BOOM! Not responding. It seems pretty clear that this is probably a sync issue that arises when I access my notes from another location. A vital clue, maybe, but I have no idea what to do about it. If anyone else has insight, I'd love to hear it. It's been a long haul with this issue.

Archived