Cannot login to web clipper

bioadam

The new web clipper looks great, but will not let me log into Evernote. After I enter my username, password, and the code sent via text message, the web clipper loads up the login window again. Reloading the extension and restarting chrome did not fix this.

I'm not sure if I understood you correctly. I couldn't figure out how to log into web clipper in Chrome (Version 29.0.1547.66 m). Then I just happened to try ctrl+left clicking on the chrome extension icon. It gave me a slide out and let me log in.

Signing into Evernote via the web and desktop appear to work fine after that. 

The new web clipper looks great, but will not let me log into Evernote. After I enter my username, password, and the code sent via text message, the web clipper loads up the login window again. Reloading the extension and restarting chrome did not fix this.

I successfully logged into the web clipper on my work machine, but the home machine will not log in.  Just like bioadam said, I enter my username, password and sms code and the web clipper reloads the login window.  I also uninstalled and reinstalled the extension and restarted Chrome to no avail.

Any help will be appreciated.

I was having the same problem after upgrading to Web Clipper 6.  I'd would click on the Web Clipper icon in Chrome and nothing happened.  I checked the Chrome version I was using and it was some version of 24, and there was a message about an update error, so it appeared to not have auto-updated in a while.  I downloaded the latest version of Chrome 29.0.1547.66 m, and everything seems to work fine now.

I was having the same problem after upgrading to Web Clipper 6.  I'd would click on the Web Clipper icon in Chrome and nothing happened.  I checked the Chrome version I was using and it was some version of 24, and there was a message about an update error, so it appeared to not have auto-updated in a while.  I downloaded the latest version of Chrome 29.0.1547.66 m, and everything seems to work fine now.

Thanks Kyle. I can now login into to Evernote Web Clipper with the most up-to-date version of Chrome. Beautiful features!

Thanks Kyle. I can now login into to Evernote Web Clipper with the most up-to-date version of Chrome. Beautiful features!

I still experience login issues with the latest version of chrome (Version 29.0.1547.76 m).  Sometimes I can login, and sometimes I can't, annoying.

• Windows 7 SP1

Elephant is greyed out, when clicked I don't get prompt for login.

If I remove/uninstall the extension and then add it back I then get a prompt to login.  Login is always successful, then within seconds the Elephant turns grey and can't use the extension.

I get no error messages.

@calman

Thanks for the details. Not sure what's going on for you, we are not able to reproduce what you are describing. 

We did just push an update to version 6.0.1, can you try uninstalling > restart > re-installing Web Clipper from the Chrome Web store?

Let me know if that resolves anything for you.

I was already running that version, but did your suggested steps anyways, no difference in my experience.

I did some more testing, can you try and reproduce the problem by using restored tabs in chrome?

1. Set the option in Chrome (On Startup = Continue where I left off).
  2. Open some tabs in chrome and go to a website in each of those tabs.
  3. Login to Web Clipper
  4. Close Chrome (don't close any of the tabs)
  5. Open Chrome, the tabs for those websites should be restored.
  6. Then try to use Web Clipper in one of the tabs that was restored.

I can't do step 6....but if I open a new tab then I can use Web Clipper in the new tab.

thx Calman for added details. I'll walk through the steps and see if I reproduce the issues. 

Following your steps I cannot reproduce any problems with the Clipper.

A few follow ups:

- It sounds a bit like we're having problem authenticating to your account. Can you make sure you allow cookies from Evernote.

- What account type do you have Free, Premium or Business premium?

- Do you have any other extensions installed? Which ones?

I was having the same issue, I have no idea if this was coincidental or part of the issue, I could not log in (Chrome Version 29, Windows 7), until I finally uninstalled, reinstalled, and then actually went through the feature tour.  Once that was done, then after a short/sluggish delay, the user id and password prompt appeared. 

Before that I was just closing that "tour" tab and not letting it (or I guess the JS it loaded) load.

I just installed Web Clipper and can't figure out how to get to the login screen. I'm using a mac laptop. I hover over the elephant and it says "Sign in to web clipper" but neither clicking nor right clicking nor ctrl left click will get me to a login screen. I've tried googling for instructions and can find nothing. :( please help .

coachdede: Have you tried restarting your browser? I've uninstalled and reinstalled different versions of the web clipper a dozen times, and every time, restarting the browser after the install was required in order to log in. Also, check that Chrome isn't running in the background: you need to completely shut down the browser and restart it to get the extension to work.

I'm not sure if I understood you correctly. I couldn't figure out how to log into web clipper in Chrome (Version 29.0.1547.66 m). Then I just happened to try ctrl+left clicking on the chrome extension icon. It gave me a slide out and let me log in.

Signing into Evernote via the web and desktop appear to work fine after that. 

Thanks for the tip - might have taken me a while to find that one! Worked great. Windows 7, Chrome Version 30.0.1599.69 m

• 4 weeks later...

I am having a similar problem (logging into the webclipper).  I click on the icon, and get a log in box - but when I enter my email and password, nothing happens.  If I enter in an incorrect password a red exclamation appears.

When I right click, and select options another tab opens with a defunct web page.  

I am on a Macbook Pro running 10.8.5 running Chrome  23.0.1271.64

Any suggestions are welcome!

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

@calman

Thanks for the details. Not sure what's going on for you, we are not able to reproduce what you are describing. 

We did just push an update to version 6.0.1, can you try uninstalling > restart > re-installing Web Clipper from the Chrome Web store?

Let me know if that resolves anything for you.

You must sign in using the Clip To Evernote toolbar button before you can make clips, that, there is my problem, and no matter what I do, it just does not change, I delete, reinstall etc makes no difference. And what does that mean, clip to evernote toolbar button, where is that?

You must sign in using the Clip To Evernote toolbar button before you can make clips. This is so frustrating. no matter what  I do, makes no difference. But then I dont even understand, where is this toolbar button? Is it not the elephant icon at the top?

• 6 months later...

I am also having this issue on a MacBook Pro. I have the most up-to-date version of Chrome and Evernote installed. I uninstalled and reinstalled both. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the web clipper, quit the browser and restarted it. I still can't login. There is a red circle next to the clipper icon. Clicking on the icon does not yield a response. Right clicking, then clicking on "clip bookmark" gives me the error message "You must sign in using the Clip To Evernote toolbar button before you can make clips." There is no option to sign in. 

I use the clipper on my work iMac without a problem, even with my Chrome settings synced. I'm also able to use the clipper on the MacBook Pro with Safari. 

Any advice?

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed a new version of Chrome and Windows 10.  My evernote web clipper installed (as i expected it to) when I logged into Chrome. Unfortunately, I have a constant red x and when I click the icon to log in, nothing happens (i.e. no pop ups or redirects.)  I've tried reinstalling the extension and rebooting the machine.  I've also given the web clipper access to my files as an option in the extension configuration screen.  I have also noticed that when I use google to search instead of related notes showing up next to my google search it asks me to log in.  I go to log in (and successfully do) but it still says in the same state.  Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the exact same problem:

No matter what I do I can't sign into the web clipper.  The elephant always has a little red 'x' at the bottom (BrokenEvernoteWebClipper.tiff).  I've reinstalled chrome, reset chrome, disabled my google account in chrome, reinstalled the the web clipper, tried switching to Canary: nothing works except switching to Firefox or Safari.  I have a tickets with Evernote support (#982026) that has been open for months and they can't see what the problem is or how to fix it either, even after sending videos and following all their instructions (They have been very responsive but ultimately we have remained unsuccessful and the little red 'x' remains).

Here's what I'm running:

OSX 10.10.5

Chrome 45.0.2454.85 (64-bit)

Evernote Clipper 6.6 (c6a3ad5/1.1.0.926)

My logs (right click on the web clipper button, choose "Options", and then the "View Logs" button) look like this (No idea if this is relevant at all but it's all I got at this point):

10:50:49 GMT-0600 (MDT) (WARN) http://www.google.ca/aclk?sa=l&ai=CnH_DVjTjVYCYIJK9-QPlrJnwB--vx7AIj73niLgBrv_QdQgAEAFg_YjxgMgDoAGJtITjA8gBAaoEIk_QDfmXwHnDw-J6OVgi_BAcSoQ9qreQbSHLccq-yRmYDIWAB_fulR-QBwGoB6a-G9gHAQ&sig=AOD64_0hkOfIHDdRGYvT2yRE_a7F4CRIYw&clui=0&rct=j&q=&ved=0CBoQ0QxqFQoTCLSM8eqh0ccCFck5iAoduewNVQ&adurl=https://www.surveymonkey.com/mp/lp/sem-lp-1/%3F%26utm_source%3Dadwords%26utm_medium%3Dppc%26utm_term%3Dsurvey%2520monkey%26utm_network%3Dg%26utm_campaign%3DCanada_Search_Brand_DisplaySelect%26mkwid%3DsCbrX6Bca_dc%26pcrid%3D49412651135%26pmt%3De%26kw%3Dsurvey%2520monkey%26pdv%3Dc%26cmpid%3Dnonbrand%26cvosrc%3Dppc.google.survey%2520monkey%26keyword%3Dsurvey%2520monkey%26matchtype%3De%26network%3Dg%26mobile%3D0%26searchntwk%3D1%26creative%3D49412651135%26adposition%3D1t1%26campaign%3DCanada_Search_Brand_DisplaySelect%26cvo_campaign%3DCanada_Search_Brand_DisplaySelect%26cvo_adgroup%3Dsurvey%2Bmonkey:Couldn't initialize clearly custom detect
at Object.H [as isCustomFormat] (eval at finishLoadingScript (/content/require/require-config.js:2:113), <anonymous>:2:9079)
at Object.isSiteEligible (eval at finishLoadingScript (/content/require/require-config.js:2:113), <anonymous>:2:538)
at b (/content/tooltips/custom_tooltip_check.js:2:93)
at chrome-extension://pioclpoplcdbaefihamjohnefbikjilc/content/tooltips/custom_tooltip_check.js:2:352
at Object.I.execCb (/third_party/require/require.js:6:12300)
at Object.B.check (/third_party/require/require.js:6:6850)
at Object.<anonymous> (/third_party/require/require.js:6:8952)
at chrome-extension://pioclpoplcdbaefihamjohnefbikjilc/third_party/require/require.js:6:670
at chrome-extension://pioclpoplcdbaefihamjohnefbikjilc/third_party/require/require.js:6:9310
13:34:37 GMT-0600 (MDT) (LOG) /background.html: Went offline. at /js/main/Extension.js:3:1035
13:34:46 GMT-0600 (MDT) (LOG) /background.html: Went online. at /js/main/Extension.js:3:1109
14:23:10 GMT-0600 (MDT) (WARN) http://192.168.0.1/apply_sec.cgi:Couldn't initialize clearly custom detect
at Object.H [as isCustomFormat] (eval at finishLoadingScript (/content/require/require-config.js:2:113), <anonymous>:2:9079)
at Object.isSiteEligible (eval at finishLoadingScript (/content/require/require-config.js:2:113), <anonymous>:2:538)
at b (/content/tooltips/custom_tooltip_check.js:2:93)
at chrome-extension://pioclpoplcdbaefihamjohnefbikjilc/content/tooltips/custom_tooltip_check.js:2:352
at Object.I.execCb (/third_party/require/require.js:6:12300)
at Object.B.check (/third_party/require/require.js:6:6850)
at Object.<anonymous> (/third_party/require/require.js:6:8952)
at chrome-extension://pioclpoplcdbaefihamjohnefbikjilc/third_party/require/require.js:6:670
at chrome-extension://pioclpoplcdbaefihamjohnefbikjilc/third_party/require/require.js:6:9310
15:05:15 GMT-0600 (MDT) (WARN) http://192.168.0.1/apply_sec.cgi:Couldn't initialize clearly custom detect

The only possible lead that I have comes from noting that when using the same instance of Chrome I cannot change the names of sheets within Google Drive spreadsheets.  I can click the "Rename..." option all I want but nothing happens (All the other options work, just not "Rename...").  I think this might be related because renaming a sheet is also supposed to bring up a pop-up/dialog box of sorts (it does in Firefox and Safari) but here it is just plain dead.  If these are related then it points to some setting within my Chrome instance, but I just can't find anything that makes a difference at all...

So, any help that anyone can provide in this context would be really helpful. Anyone?

Thx Symulation,

We are looking into this. All we can say now is that this is not happening in our testing using the same configuration that you have. Stay tuned for more details from us. 

One thing that would be helpful is a list of other extensions you have installed and enabled. If you have some time you can help us by disabling one at a time and see if any of them are causing a conflict with the Web Clipper. 

Yeah, I understand that it is not reproducible from the data shared.  Frustrating for you too, I know.

Here are the other extensions that I have installed:

• AdBlock Plus 1.9.1
  • DropBox for Gmail 1.0.1
  • Google Docs 0.9
  • Google Docs Offline 0.5
  • Google Sheets 1.1
  • Google Slides 0.9
  • Hangouts 2015.513.1632.5
  • Zotero 4.0.26

I just did a mass disable of these and restarted Chrome.  Still no luck.  AdBlock was previously flagged by the Evernote support team as a possible problem but even completely uninstalling it and restarting didn't fix the problem.

Let us know if anything comes to mind.  I'm willing to be a Guinea Pig on fixing this.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone help.  I recently purchased the premium membership when I started University and was really impressed got lots of notes but although I can see my notebooks etc on the drop down menu on web clipper when I log into evernote it is blank. 

Sorry, I can't help with that.  I can report though that my problem is not fixed with the move to version 6.7 (eeaba56/1.1.0.926).

MC Perks: It might help if you were able to point out some of the properties of your system, like the OS, the browser version, the version of the clipper that you are using.

• 1 month later...

So, for various reasons (this problem was one of them) I nuked my system and did a fresh OSX install (10.11), adding the latest releases of Chrome (46.0.2490.86 (64-bit)), Evernote (6.1.1 (452254 App Store)), and the Evernote Web Clipper (6.7 (eeaba56/1.1.0.926)).  I am happy to report that I am now able to use the Clipper again.

I had worried before that my Web Clipper problems might be due to some Chrome-related account setting but action seems to rule that out since on logging into the fresh install of Chrome reinstated all my previous settings and yet I am still able to use the Clipper.

Thus, at least for me, the problem seems to have been some setting or software conflict specific to my system that was robust to "complete" (or as much as I could manage) uninstalls of Chrome and anything to do with Evernote.  If you have to go this path then know that it is not without precedent (and there may be other benefits for you as well: I gained back 150 GB of space on my drive by choosing to let old software and files go---I've had the laptop since 2009---and also took the opportunity to add encryption to the disk).

Happy to have the Web Clipper back.

• 1 year later...

Archived