EverRegHack - colors for notebooks names in Evernote 5 for Windows

IMHO Evernote 5 is a good update but one dropped feature I do miss. Now there are no icons leftside to notebooks names that show it's type (local, shared, ...). But I've noticed that there are settings in the Windows registry to make the names to have different colors depending on a notebook type. I've wrote a program to set the colors (and a few other tweaks).

If you interested download EverRegHack from my blog (link at the end of the post). 

Before using the program quit from Evernote. Evernote writes all settingns to the registry on exit and will rewrite all changes made by EverRegHack with old values.

I somehow missed the requirent to have Evernote API integration in the program.

I have no rights to delete my topic - moderator, please delete the topic.

The program have no Evernote API integration and never will.

IMHO Evernote 5 is a good update but one dropped feature I do miss. Now there are no icons leftside to notebooks names that show it's type (local, shared, ...). But I've noticed that there are settings in the Windows registry to make the names to have different colors depending on a notebook type. I've wrote a program to set the colors (and a few other tweaks).

If you interested download EverRegHack from my blog (link at the end of the post). 

Before using the program quit from Evernote. Evernote writes all settingns to the registry on exit and will rewrite all changes made by EverRegHack with old values.

Thanks for your attempt at a little color. I have Evernote running 24/7 on my left monitor, and 4.7 has just the right amount of color showing!

I enjoyed black and white TV as a kid, but never watch it now !!

Hopefully the programers will see that Evernote 5 needs just a little color. Till then I am staying with 4.7

Regards,

David in Wichita

Is your Blog written in Russian?

• Level 5*

This is a cool app! I scrolled down past the Russian text, which I can't read, and downloaded the zip file. I unzipped it and ran the program. Now I have all my notebook names colored, which will be a great help in troubleshooting Evernote in case it decides to change local notebooks to synchronized notebooks again. I don't know how it happens, but as long as I keep the left panel open. I will be able to see when it has in the future. Then maybe, just maybe, I will be able to extract the log file and get some useful information about what happened. Thank you, mgsxx!

Welcome to the forum :)

I've been messing with the colours since first messing with the beta, and I even considered adding the options to my app, which deals with other registry settings. Guess I don't have to now :)

Only thing I will say is just to clarify the "Quit Evernote" Warning.

This has to be done via File -> Exit otherwise EN will still be running, and will overwrite your changes.

EDIT: Interesting, there are also a couple of other options you have included. We share some overlap, and there are more options too ;)

I need to add the custom frame one to mine, as well as a couple of other new ones.

EDIT 2: Vertical list view can be accessed via the shortcut Ctrl + Shift + F5 without using the registry :)

Scott

EDIT: Interesting, there are also a couple of other options you have included. We share some overlap, and there are more options too ;)

I need to add the custom frame one to mine, as well as a couple of other new ones.

If you want you can tell me where these options are and what they do and I will add them to my program.

If you want you can tell me where these options are and what they do and I will add them to my program.

I don't have a fully composed list for v5 just yet, but I am also working on updating my app that deals with the registry settings.

Here is what I currently have:

NoteAutoSaveInterval,SearchAsYouTypeDelay,SetNewNoteFocusToTitle,SetNewNoteTags,ShowMultiSelectView,StrictAttachments,SyncDelayAfterAPMResume,SwapPasteAccelKeys,ShowAccountEmail,AutoShowNoteToolbar,ShowSourceUrlPrompt,ClassicHTMLToolbar,ShowCustomFramehttp://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/ede99234-0f63-43a1-a7da-2a86cf595a9b/61b2f33a73430f07c0a9154d202fd2dc
I was considering trying to add the colours too, but I am not sure that I could even do it with AutoHotkey. :P

Scott

I'll try to add these options in a few days.

Can you add a few words about some options? I'm not sure what StrictAttachments, ShowSourceUrlPrompt and ClassicHTMLToolbar are for.

ShowSourceUrlPrompt I understand, ClassicHTMLToolbar does nothing apparently, StrictAttachments seem not to wrok (my images are inlined instead of being attached)

ClassicHTMLToolbar: Toggles between grouping alignment buttons in Editing toolbar.

0: Grouped 1: Not grouped.

StrictAttachments allows you to right click images and show them as attachments. Also shows images as attachments if they have been defined as such. I think there is also something to do with files dropped into EN as well.

Now that I have finally gotten around to it, all of the registry options that don't have an option in the GUI can be found here:

https://www.evernote.com/pub/spgscott/evernote5help#b=8879f6ff-b336-40f1-8fc2-9f43af568ebe&st=p&n=b23d4465-0844-41b6-a33f-0dbc57cfebfd

And it seems we are both building the same app :P (ENRegEd in the same notebook ;))

Some notes on yours:

- Widths, and reminders settings can be changed via the EN interface and so are not really needed here.

Though you mention with the widths, that it is a bug you are seeing. Have you posted about that?

So I am not sure about including things that there are menu options for.

Scott

Thank you for the info very much! I've read your notebook and all my questions are answered now  :)

About reminders. How to enable them once they are disabled? Can't find anything in the interface.

That's why I added the option to my program. Am I missing something?

Widths certainly can be changed from the interface. That's why they are located in a separate tab where they do no harm. It's for me and maybe other people afftected with the bug.

Evernote support did not help me with the issue. 

I've updated the program, ClassicHTMLToolbar and StrictAttachments are added. The program can be downloaded through the blog post or directly from here.

I think I was confusing Reminders and Related notes. There is a menu option for the latter, but not the former. So the reminders option is a useful one to have.

Scott

EDIT:

This may not be the right place to continue this side of the discussion, but

Evernote support did not help me with the issue.

Was this support tickets or here in the forum?

What was the issue exactly?

Was this support tickets or here in the forum?

What was the issue exactly?

The splitter between the note list and the note editor most of the time (but not always!) doesn't show its existence in any way. I suppose it's some obscure bug the developers wouldn't bother itself with. It's hard to reproduce. I did file a ticket at Evernote support but... You know, from my experience, talking to Evernote support is just a waste of time if the question is out of the usual routine even slightly. I don't say Evernote support is really bad but I can't call it really good either. So I dropped some issues I have with Evernote and didn't reported them. I value my time. The splitter thing, for example, bother me once a year at most and once a year I can edit the registry. Audio notes I don't much use so it don't bother they were broken on iPad... and so on. Evernote not as good as it can be? Well, shouldn't the Evernote developers be the first interested in the matter?

• 5 months later...

I did file a ticket at Evernote support but... You know, from my experience, talking to Evernote support is just a waste of time if the question is out of the usual routine even slightly.

A few days back I broke my "omerta rule" and was somewhat amazed by the results. The issue was not trivial but Evernote support was competent, fast and indeed interested in locating the bug and forwarding it to developers. The change is happening? I realy do hope so. Evernote is an essential part of my workflow and I really want it to be good.

Thanks for this "hack", I love the new possibilities. Notebook Colors by type and Vertical List view, I have been waiting for this forever! :)

Only problem I have is that since activating the script, Evernote window stays always on top. Is there a remedy for that?

(System is Windows 8.1)

This behaviour stopped after I restarted the computer. All is well.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Level 5*

You might try "NavPaneLocalNotebookColor". It's been awhile since I experimented with this (and its friends, "NavPanexxx"). It may not even work now.

I don't believe that the Mac has any equivalent. Two very separate code bases.

Thanks for that. After trial and error with the plist file, and much digging (poking around the application folder, running strings against the binary [for every instance of "Color," "NavPane," "LocalNotebook," and so on], I've come to the conclusion that if there is an equivalent Mac configuration option, it's not "NavPaneLocalNotebookColor" or anything like that, and I don't know what it is. So I'm assuming it's simply not there.

Bummer. This would be an easy feature to add, and it has usability and security implications.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I've got sick and tired of Evernote. I mostly migrated out of Evernote to other solutions and do not plan to return. So the app is more than neglected. It's abandoned. I don't have it in compiled form even.

The app sources have to be saved somewhere though. Do you need them?

I've got sick and tired of Evernote. I mostly migrated out of Evernote to other solutions and do not plan to return. So the app is more than neglected. It's abandoned. I don't have it in compiled form even.

That's the spirit. Still willing to help despite personal issues with EN. I can respect that. 

I have what I downloaded from your site last year. Would you like it to stash somewhere in case of need?

• Level 5*

You might post the app sources to GitHub.

Archived