Windows V5 Discussion

dlu

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the advice of EN support, and after a month of almost daily emails between us while they investigated it, I have had to revert to version 4.6.7 on both of my two Windows 7 machines.  This is due to v5 constantly crashing when moving notes between noteboooks... or copying notes between notebooks... or retagging notes... or deleting notes.  

During December I was advised to uninstall and reinstall, reindex the local database, etc etc.  Tried everything before they eventually advised just going back to v4.  There were lots of discussions about the Windows environment, but luckily I was able to avoid chasing any red herrings there, as I could explain that I got the identical problem on two very different Windows machines (one is my home one, the other my work-supplied one, and the software set up on each is very different).

So I hope that they get that fixed at some point in the future to allow me to "upgrade" to version 5.  In the meantime, having gone back to v4, I have to say that I much prefer it!

Thread re the problem here...

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/48208-evernote-desktop-app-keeps-crashing-while-editing-and-sorting-notes/

• Level 5*

On the advice of EN support, and after a month of almost daily emails between us while they investigated it, I have had to revert to version 4.6.7 on both of my two Windows 7 machines.  This is due to v5 constantly crashing when moving notes between noteboooks... or copying notes between notebooks... or retagging notes... or deleting notes.  

During December I was advised to uninstall and reinstall, reindex the local database, etc etc.  Tried everything before they eventually advised just going back to v4.  There were lots of discussions about the Windows environment, but luckily I was able to avoid chasing any red herrings there, as I could explain that I got the identical problem on two very different Windows machines (one is my home one, the other my work-supplied one, and the software set up on each is very different).

So I hope that they get that fixed at some point in the future to allow me to "upgrade" to version 5.  In the meantime, having gone back to v4, I have to say that I much prefer it!

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/48208-evernote-desktop-app-keeps-crashing-while-editing-and-sorting-notes/

That is sad. But hey, 5.x sure is pretty!

Wow, really?  Part of the reason I don't like 5.x is the look.  So flat, faceless, and boring IMHO.  

• Level 5*

Wow, really?  Part of the reason I don't like 5.x is the look.  So flat, faceless, and boring IMHO.
I think that Ed was being ironic...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

The problem with clips and emails not going to the default folder seems to still be lingering...

Any idea when this might be fixed?

I'd suggest a support ticket (see below) unless you already have one running?

• Level 5*

Well, *that* was stupid of me.  Sorry to waste your bandwidth.

Thanks,

-Steve

LOL! Don't worry about it. That thing is turned on by default. I turn that and all "smart/automatic" stuff in the clipper. I only want new notes to go in one of three places, my @Inbox notebook, my @inbox notebook, and once in a while, my @inbox notebook.

• 2 months later...

I'm still having a problem with v5 being slow and taking up to 4-6 seconds to display note content when switching notes.  I've grown to enjoy v5 across the three machines I use, but this lag is killing it for me.

I've been working with EN support over the past week, and they've been tremendously friendly and helpful, which I appreciate, but man, this problem dates back how far and still no fix?  What's the deal here?  v5 is practically unusable for me with this lag.  I finally had to uninstall 5 and reinstall 4.  v4 is superfast.  Truly a shame, as I'm already finding myself missing some of the features I'd become accustomed to in v5.

I hope we can get a more robust editor at some point, too.

I've used a couple of other note apps that offer this, but Evernote's been my goto for cross-platform use and accessibility.  Even with this v5 issue, it's still my fave.

I'm still having a problem with v5 being slow and taking up to 4-6 seconds to display note content when switching notes.  I've grown to enjoy v5 across the three machines I use, but this lag is killing it for me.

I've been working with EN support over the past week, and they've been tremendously friendly and helpful, which I appreciate, but man, this problem dates back how far and still no fix?  What's the deal here?  v5 is practically unusable for me with this lag.  I finally had to uninstall 5 and reinstall 4.  v4 is superfast.  Truly a shame, as I'm already finding myself missing some of the features I'd become accustomed to in v5.

I've used a couple of other note apps that offer this, but Evernote's been my goto for cross-platform use and accessibility.  Even with this v5 issue, it's still my fave.

It's like you're reading my mail (or mind!).  I have the same exact problem.  All 3 of my windows PCs.  Search drives me crazy - two characters, then pause... then two more, then more pause.  And EN support just says well, upgrade to the latest... ok, upgrade to the beta... OK, rebuild your database... but here's a thought: if it happens on 3 different computers, and worked fine on v4, hmm... what is the common denominator here?  And they say they have no issues - hey, that's great.  How many notes are they working with?  How much data overall?  I'd love to just go back to v4, but how long is that going to last?  Every update I cross my fingers that things will get better.  And yet it seems that in every update, v5 still works about the same.

• Level 5*

It's possible to turn off the automatic search,  and other goodies like Related Notes - I know it would be nice to have it all working all of the time,  but it's better to keep the flow in workflow than to have lots of bells and whistles running. They can always be turned back on when necessary.

There have been comments that the editor is under review,  and I'm sure the team are trying to sort out any speed issues. The problem is that with huge numbers of 'silent' users out there on a growing number of platforms,  any new features need to be researched and tested to ensure they stay that way.  It all takes time to filter through.

• Level 5*

It's like you're reading my mail (or mind!).  I have the same exact problem.  All 3 of my windows PCs.  Search drives me crazy - two characters, then pause... then two more, then more pause.  And EN support just says well, upgrade to the latest... ok, upgrade to the beta... OK, rebuild your database... but here's a thought: if it happens on 3 different computers, and worked fine on v4, hmm... what is the common denominator here?  And they say they have no issues - hey, that's great.  How many notes are they working with?  How much data overall?  I'd love to just go back to v4, but how long is that going to last?  Every update I cross my fingers that things will get better.  And yet it seems that in every update, v5 still works about the same.

That fix is easy. And 4.x does the same annoying thing.

After revision 254440 (v4.5.7 beta3 and later) Evernote Windows client loads search-as-you-type delay time from registry value HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/SearchAsYouTypeDelay which by default is set to 50 milliseconds. If you change this value to 0, search-as-you-type feature will be completely disabled, so you'll have to press Enter or click the Search button at the right of the search entry field to start search.

I set mine to 2000 so it would search after I pause for 2 seconds, but why in the world it is set at 50 is beyond me. That only works for people with less than 100 notes. I have over 20,000.
  • Level 5*

After revision 254440 (v4.5.7 beta3 and later) Evernote Windows client loads search-as-you-type delay time from registry value HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/SearchAsYouTypeDelay which by default is set to 50 milliseconds. If you change this value to 0, search-as-you-type feature will be completely disabled, so you'll have to press Enter or click the Search button at the right of the search entry field to start search.

I set mine to 2000 so it would search after I pause for 2 seconds, but why in the world it is set at 50 is beyond me. That only works for people with less than 100 notes. I have over 20,000.

EdH, thanks for sharing a work-around to a pesky problem in EN Win.

Evernote Team:  Please add an option/preference for BOTH EN Win and EN Mac to turn on/off search-as-you-type.

This really slows us down when you have lots of Notes.

Thank you!  In my ticket I've been asking if there's a way to turn that off, and they didn't know what I was talking about!  Ugh - I had heard there was some setting you could change, but for some reason I just couldn't find this anywhere.  That does solve one big headache for me anyway.  I still find it laggy for other things, and I still don't like the look, but I think I'm in the minority on that.  I'm just hoping that this fad will shift back to something not quite so faceless and empty.

• 3 months later...

just wanted to post up with a quick note re: EN5 slow response when navigating or changing notes.

Anyone running EN5 on W7x64 machines, consider whether you're using AVG antivirus.  after testing EN5 on a fresh OS load of W7x64, I discovered that there was no apparent lag at all, which led me to look at my standard apps suite, and just as a lucky guess, removed AVG on two other machines to test.  It worked.  EN5 lag is gone.  I have since replaced AVG with Avast and there doesn't seem to be any lag in the way I was experiencing with AVG.

Please note that I am not saying that AVG is the culprit here, as I'm sure there's a better explanation for this conflict, but whatever it is, I couldn't figure it out with various settings changes and exclusions.  Only the complete removal of AVG resolved this for me, so this is at least a fix for a problem that has plagued me in my standard system build-outs since moving to v5.

hope this helps some of you experiencing this frustrating lag.

@msgvb - the thought that jumps to mind when I read your post is try turning off AVG's equivalent to "Real Time File Scanning" - where AVG is scanning every file the PC is opening.  I have seen that slow many applications down.  In the back of my mind, I think I use to use AVG a couple of years ago and ran into the same thing with other apps.

I generally have turned off Real Time Virus canning as I'm VERY cautious about what I put on my machine.

Just as one other FYI, I run W8.1x64, with Windows Defender and I actually didn't realize Real Time is on - and Evernote and everyone is pretty happy.

Hope this all helps.

• 1 month later...

I need to hide tags of shared notebooks. I don't understand why this wasn't fixed in 5.0.3.  I can't distinguish my tags from shared notebooks, and therefore I can't control the views that I depend on for daily workflow. Why can't I select a notebook and see only the tags in that notebook in the left sidebar? 

Come on EN. Fix this!

Almost another year has passed and I still can't hide tags from shared notebooks. I love EN, but I HATE this limitation. Is there any hope of giving us this often requested function?

I need to hide tags of shared notebooks. I don't understand why this wasn't fixed in 5.0.3.  I can't distinguish my tags from shared notebooks, and therefore I can't control the views that I depend on for daily workflow. Why can't I select a notebook and see only the tags in that notebook in the left sidebar? 

Come on EN. Fix this!

Almost another year has passed and I still can't hide tags from shared notebooks. I love EN, but I HATE this limitation. Is there any hope of giving us this often requested function?

Just so I'm clear (because I'm curious about this), you want to be able to select a notebook in the left sidebar, and then have the Tag (also in left sidebar) only show for the notes contained in the notebook you selected.  Is that right?

That's actually a great idea.

The tag list can get so long as to be almost unusable in some situation. I use tags liberally and now have over 100 of them.

Filtering the list of tags by notebook would make this much more manageable and, it seems to me, wouldn't limit workflow in EN in any other way.

• Level 5*

I would like a global option to "never" show tags from a shared notebook.  The only tags I want to see are ones that I have created.  Seeing someone elses tags mixed in with mine just muddies the waters.

• Level 5*

Just so I'm clear (because I'm curious about this), you want to be able to select a notebook in the left sidebar, and then have the Tag (also in left sidebar) only show for the notes contained in the notebook you selected.  Is that right?

That's actually a great idea.

The tag list can get so long as to be almost unusable in some situation. I use tags liberally and now have over 100 of them.

Filtering the list of tags by notebook would make this much more manageable and, it seems to me, wouldn't limit workflow in EN in any other way.

They used to do this sort of thing: let the tag tree follow the notebook selection by filtering it down to tags that only are used in the selected notebook. They removed this in V5, and though they didn't say why, I can guess that it's actually confusing to a lot of users, and also it doesn't help the case for people who like to tag using drag and drop from the tag tree: if you're in a notebook that doesn't use the tag that you want, then you won't see the tag to be able to drag/drop it. There are other awkward use cases related to this UI. I don't miss it; in fact, I rarely keep the tag tree open at all.

Instead, they've added the tag filter at the top of the note list (it's a little blue tag icon at the right-hand side). Select a notebook, then select the tag icon, and the tags presented will be those found in the notebook. It'll be a flat list of tags, but you can start typing and Evernote will filter the list based on what you've typed.

Here's a link to a more complete Step-by-Step walkthrough on how to disable Search As You Type in Windows 7.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for a great tip!

I only wish we could do this in EN Mac.  Evernote Devs, are you listening/watching?

If you don't want to mess with the registry, there is also ENRegEd, my app.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/64040-windows-enreged-access-evernotes-hidden-registry-settings/

Replace steps 2 onwards with:

- Run ENRegEd, click advanced

- Set "Search as you Type delay" to desired setting

- Close the app

Done :)

This is a common discovery/blog post it seems...Just one of many options you can change in EN Windows. Not everyone is comfortable with making changes in the registry. Maybe my choice of using a shared notebook doesn't help the awareness of the other options. :P

Hanseric, you got it. Filtering the list of tags by notebook in the left sidebar is a feature I can't live without.

And Jeff (jefito), your comment that you "rarely keep the tag tree open at all" perhaps is exactly why this feature is needed and should be restored. The left sidebar is useless without it.

• Level 5*

And Jeff (jefito), your comment that you "rarely keep the tag tree open at all" perhaps is exactly why this feature is needed and should be restored. The left sidebar is useless without it.

Not at all, at least for me. I navigate using notebooks mainly (left sidebar), shortcuts (left sidebar again), and search, and reminders to some extent. Pawing through a list of tags, even filtered, doesn't seem all that palatable to me and hasn't for awhile. I understand that others can differ in their approach.
  • Level 5*

Hanseric, you got it. Filtering the list of tags by notebook in the left sidebar is a feature I can't live without.

Clarifying question - what is it that you would do with this feature that makes it essential to you?  Is it the noise of shared notebooks or something else?

• 8 months later...

On a not altogether different note - no pun intended - as in still GUI related, I have a problem with the scroll bars handles, they are not contrasting enough to be easily seen and utilized...can an option be integrated to allow chosing custom color or patern for handle ?? Maybe make them the EN green ???

Archived