Evernote 5.0 Feature Regression viewing Livescribe Notes?

Sean McRae

Hi there.   I've just upgraded to Evernote for Windows 5 and am dealing with what I believe to be a fairly serious feature regression for Livescribe pen users.  

Earlier versions of Evernote displayed a full-page image of a synced Livescribe notebook page provided Everynote's "Note Panel" (and the Everynote app window) was sized sufficiently.   With 5.0, it now seems only the top two-thirds of the Livescribe page image is shown even when there's sufficient screen real estate to show the entire LiveScribe page.  In order see the full page one must now click on the page image which then launches the browser and loads the full page from Livescribe.com

This extra-step dramatically limits the efficiency of reviewing and tagging synced Livescribe pages.  Is there a way to view the full Livescribe notebook page within the Evernote 5.0 app?   I'm hoping it's just a configuration setting I'm missing.

Many thanks.

- Sean

p.s. if the above is not clear, I can share screenshots attached.

Me too - exactly the same issue here. The previous Evernote 4 version I had showed full Livescribe pages, the new Evernote 5 only shows about the top 2/3 of each page as Sean describes. Fortunately, the Evernote Android app still shows full pages, so all is not lost.

Being able to view just a portion of each Livescribe page on a large PC screen is a major problem. Hopefully, this is just a temporary glitch and not a new "feature".

I am experiencing exactly the same issue, with the exception that forwarding to the livescribe website does not work (error on page - for a second the comment: no support for canvas appears in the upper left corner)...

I have raised a ticket @ evernote support, who presently seem not to have a resolution... 

+1 from a livid EN + LS user.

One more: Printing the LS pages from within EN in real size is not possible (workaround: Save image as .png and print the file  - but that is no real solution).

Same problem here.

A quick workaround is to open in Livescribe website by clicking on the page. Not perfect but may get you over the problem until a solution is found.

Best regards

Chris

Thanks for the all the replies (and for the confirmation that it's not just a configuration issue on my end).   I've also sent a message to Livescribe's customer support in the hopes that they will contact the Evernote team and prod them for a fix.  Having to launch the viewer on Livescribe.com is a major inconvenience when reviewing and tagging notes.

The other workaround is to uninstall Evernote 5.0 and re-install 4.6.7, which I have done.  Hopefully that version will remain active until Evernote fixes the problem in v5.

Regards.

- Sean 

Just heard back from Livescribe. They've confirmed it's a problem and are contacting Evernote.  Message below.

Regards,

- Sean

livescribe_logo.png

Jose C (Livescribe)

Sep 06 10:31 (PDT)

Hi Sean,

Thank you for contacting us.

I hereby to inform you that you are right, this is an issue with Evernote 5.0.

We will proceed to communicate it to them to have a solution as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Jose Connor
Livescribe Support

• 2 weeks later...

Come on Evernote!  I would think that fixing this bug would be important since Livescribe is a commercial partner of yours.

Either way, it's annoying.  My current workaround is to open a Print Preview of the LS page.  There, the whole page is visible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Solved this problem by uninstalling and reinstalling Evernote. Note - had to delete the Evernote folder in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local before the reinstall changed anything. That's the data location in Windows 7 and 8. If you need to do this, you won't find the appdata folder by browsing. Just modify the path in your Windows Explorer window once you're in the users folder.

The version of Evernote I'm using now is 5.1.3.1614. Don't know the version I uninstalled...5.something.

Took forever to reload all my notes after the reinstall, but at least the Livescribe notes are all viewable.

Solved this problem by uninstalling and reinstalling Evernote. Note - had to delete the Evernote folder in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local before the reinstall changed anything. That's the data location in Windows 7 and 8. If you need to do this, you won't find the appdata folder by browsing. Just modify the path in your Windows Explorer window once you're in the users folder.

The version of Evernote I'm using now is 5.1.3.1614. Don't know the version I uninstalled...5.something.

Took forever to reload all my notes after the reinstall, but at least the Livescribe notes are all viewable.

Hi Dave,

Glad you sorted it.

An easier way is to use Revo to remove/uninstall Evernote, it takes care of everything for you.

Best regards

Chris

• 1 month later...

Hi Dave,

Thanks for this workaround. I did as you suggested, and it worked... briefly. However, when I exit and restart Evernote, it goes back to showing only around half of each note page. Did you get the same result?

I just installed the Evernote 5.1 update, and no improvement (I didn't remove the AppData\Local stuff).

Incidentally, this may not be a recommended course of action, but you don't need to uninstall Evernote and re-install it to get the benefit of your workaround. Just quit Evernote (from the tray icon), then terminate the EvernoteClipper.exe process (in Task Manager), then delete the AppData\Local\Evernote folder. Next time you start Evernote, you'll have to resync everything, but it does show your Livescribe pages in full. Of course, as soon as you exit then restart Evernote (or reboot your machine), it will revert to showing half your Livescribe pages once more.

Evernote, it's high time this was fixed. The sole reason I took out a Premium subscription was to use Evernote with Livescribe, and its currently virtually useless for that purpose.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Is there any sign that Evernote is even aware of this problem?  It would be really nice if I could access the bottom 25% of my notes with the Evernote Windows software!!!!

Even if the relationship with Livescribe went sour (which it looks like it has), please don't hang us out to dry!

• 1 month later...

Unbelievable! I've had the same problem with my Sky pen - but the unbelievable part is the dating on these posts! I can't believe we are all still having this issue!

Evernote, Livescribe: step up to your responsibilities and fix this!

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to follow-up on this. In response to my support ticket above, I received the following reply from Evernote (on 1/28/2014):

We apologize for the inconvenience, however it appears there is currently a bug causing this.

We appreciate you taking the time to send us this error. We have filed an internal bug report with the QA team lead. She will classify and fix the bugs in the order determined by the project Lead.

Unfortunately this is not something I can fix for you at this time.

Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks for making Evernote a better product,

Evernote then kindly closed that ticket - before the associated bug was resolved. Great customer support! I followed up on April 23rd and created a new ticket (#474588). I then received this reply:

Thank you for contacting Evernote.

Unfortunately this issue continues to be researched by the dev team.

We do not have an ETA at this time.
Due to this inconvenience, I have added 20 points to your account towards future redemptions.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you!

20 Points! Wow! Thank you Evernote! I'm paying for Evernote Premium to use with Livescribe, and they just don't care! They then - again - closed this ticket (on April 27) without any link to this bug's status, or promise that I will be notified when it's fixed. That's pretty basic stuff, Evernote.

Evernote is now up to version 5.4.1.3962 - and they STILL have not fixed this issue. Contacting them again today...

Just wanted to follow-up on this. In response to my support ticket above, I received the following reply from Evernote (on 1/28/2014):

We apologize for the inconvenience, however it appears there is currently a bug causing this.

We appreciate you taking the time to send us this error. We have filed an internal bug report with the QA team lead. She will classify and fix the bugs in the order determined by the project Lead.

Unfortunately this is not something I can fix for you at this time.

Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks for making Evernote a better product,

Evernote then kindly closed that ticket - before the associated bug was resolved. Great customer support! I followed up on April 23rd and created a new ticket (#474588). I then received this reply:

Thank you for contacting Evernote.

Unfortunately this issue continues to be researched by the dev team.

We do not have an ETA at this time.

Due to this inconvenience, I have added 20 points to your account towards future redemptions.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you!

20 Points! Wow! Thank you Evernote! I'm paying for Evernote Premium to use with Livescribe, and they just don't care! They then - again - closed this ticket (on April 27) without any link to this bug's status, or promise that I will be notified when it's fixed. That's pretty basic stuff, Evernote.

Evernote is now up to version 5.4.1.3962 - and they STILL have not fixed this issue. Contacting them again today...

FWIW, it is appropriate to close a support ticket once support has determined they have done all they can for the user and that the bug will need to be fixed by the development team. Additionally, EN does not notify users when a bug has been fixed with the exception of adding a notation in the release notes. And they do not publish ETAs.

FWIW, it is appropriate to close a support ticket once support has determined they have done all they can for the user and that the bug will need to be fixed by the development team. Additionally, EN does not notify users when a bug has been fixed with the exception of adding a notation in the release notes. And they do not publish ETAs.

1. I don't mind a support ticket being closed provided that, having taken the trouble to report a bug, I am kept appraised of its status. Just telling a user that a reported issue is a bug, that it might be fixed someday, then closing the support ticket and assuming everything is OK may be Evernote policy, but it's not good customer support, IMHO. Expecting such customers to then read every release note to see if the issue they reported has been fixed is ridiculous. Just saying.
  2. I never asked for or expected an ETA. However, I would have expected Evernote to have prioritized a fix to a bug that affects, not only the customers of a business partner, but THEIR OWN customers, a little higher. This issue was reported months ago, there have been numerous new releases since, and the bug is still unfixed.

• I don't mind a support ticket being closed provided that, having taken the trouble to report a bug, I am kept appraised of its status. Just telling a user that a reported issue is a bug, that it might be fixed someday, then closing the support ticket and assuming everything is OK may be Evernote policy, but it's not good customer support, IMHO. Expecting such customers to then read every release note to see if the issue they reported has been fixed is ridiculous. Just saying.
  • I never asked for or expected an ETA. However, I would have expected Evernote to have prioritized a fix to a bug that affects, not only the customers of a business partner, but THEIR OWN customers, a little higher. This issue was reported months ago, there have been numerous new releases since, and the bug is still unfixed.

I don't know how to make it any more clear. Sorry it's not the answer you wanted.

• Level 5*

I suppose the undercurrent here relates to how does a software company manage their product when it does not perform to spec?  Some companies act on the premise that you don't get to drop any babies, some on the premise that some percentage of their customers must be impacted.  There is more than one example in these forums of issues that have gone into the "... will get fixed in the order determined by the project lead..." queue.  

Some of these issues relate to functions that EN has heralded, so not particularly obscure.  For example the horizontal shortcut bar and perhaps reminder searches being FUBAR in Windows.  So, if I were hazarding a guess, EN is not on the side of no dropping of babies based upon how long these have been open issues.  There seems to be a disconnect somewhere at EN, though not working there, can't really say.  Who knows how the priorities of the developers are being handled.  Just keep sending the tickets.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5

This sounds incredibly frustrating, I'm sorry the response hasn't been great from our side yet. I'm just running across this message now. I believe that we fixed this exact issue in our latest beta (Penultimate notes were also being truncated). If you are comfortable running beta software, you can opt in to the beta program via the options dialog. Alternatively, you can try turning off Related Notes until the beta is officially released, which I believe is the feature affecting this issue. Related Notes can be disabled from our menubar (View -> Show Related Notes).

Please let me know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived