(Archived) Evernote for Windows V5 beta 3

dlu

• Level 5*

I just had something very strange happen that I'll mention in case others run into this.  I had a local notebook change into a synced one. 

I had exactly the same problem. DLU is aware of this problem. I reported it to support, but was told that they couldn't help because I was using the beta version and should revert to the last-known good version.

Glad to hear this is (hopefully) on DLU's radar.  I neglected to mention that beta 3 was the first beta version I jumped on, so it may have been present in the earlier betas.  I do know that I never saw this in any version 4 build.

Lately, I've been holding back from jumping into the betas but the allure of reminders and the highlighter pulled me in.  I don't regret it, but I'm being more watchful and performing more backups than usual.

Oh, and RMB on the notebook name to rename doesn't appear to work.  You can edit it but the change doesn't stick.  F2 to rename does.

Using beta 5.0.0.1051 and noticed a change in the user interface with notebooks and tag selection. I used to be able to select a notebook in the left panel, and then click on a tag in the left panel and it would only show the notes in that notebook that had that tag. Now when I click a tag name after after clicking the notebook, it deselects the notebook and shows me all notes with that tag.

Though this might have been intentional on Evernote's part, but unfortunately it changes the way I work with Evernote and GTD. I can select the notebook, then click filter by tag and select the tag, resulting in extra mouse clicks/text entry.

Glad to have the reminders in the desktop client.

Regards,

Charles

Try the Jump to Tags feature. Shift+Alt+T It will only show tags within a notebook

This does not work for Business Notebooks, shared or unshared...

Seems like a bug, we'll look into it

I just had something very strange happen that I'll mention in case others run into this.  I had a local notebook change into a synced one. 

I had exactly the same problem. DLU is aware of this problem. I reported it to support, but was told that they couldn't help because I was using the beta version and should revert to the last-known good version.

Yeah we may reach out to you guy directly. It is a rather sneaky bug

Hi,

I normally use the "List View" as well as closing the Left Panel  (F10).  In the old version the List view was appearing on the left side  while in Version 5 it is showing up at the top.  This is not as efficient for me as it was since I used to have much room for the note content.  Is there a way to move the "List View" on the left side?

But there is a bigger problem.  Once in the "List View", if I select a notebook it will display only the notes from it. But I can't see a way to list again all notes from all notebooks.  

Is there a way to have All notes forced in the List view while the left panel is closed?

In V4, Iput an "all notes" shortcut in the top section where we could pin note/search/etc there, but this section doesn't seem to be present anymore in V5.

Other than that, my biggest problem remains that the number of notes differs between V5 and all other Evernote version that I use (Windows V4, android and web).  I wish someone would be able to provide me help to clean this in my V5 installation.

Thanks,

Pierre

Hi,

I normally use the "List View" as well as closing the Left Panel (F10). In the old version the List view was appearing on the left side while in Version 5 it is showing up at the top. This is not as efficient for me as it was since I used to have much room for the note content. Is there a way to move the "List View" on the left side?

No change here, vertical list view is still obtainable with Ctrl + Shift + F5

But there is a bigger problem. Once in the "List View", if I select a notebook it will display only the notes from it. But I can't see a way to list again all notes from all notebooks.

Is there a way to have All notes forced in the List view while the left panel is closed?

In V4, Iput an "all notes" shortcut in the top section where we could pin note/search/etc there, but this section doesn't seem to be present anymore in V5.

You can add "All notes" to the main toolbar at the top. Right click the toolbar and select customise.

Hi,

I normally use the "List View" as well as closing the Left Panel (F10). In the old version the List view was appearing on the left side while in Version 5 it is showing up at the top. This is not as efficient for me as it was since I used to have much room for the note content. Is there a way to move the "List View" on the left side?

No change here, vertical list view is still obtainable with Ctrl + Shift + F5

But there is a bigger problem. Once in the "List View", if I select a notebook it will display only the notes from it. But I can't see a way to list again all notes from all notebooks.

You can add "All notes" to the main toolbar at the top. Right click the toolbar and select customise.

Great, Exactly what I was looking for!

The search toolbar was taking a lot of space and hiding the newly added "All Notes", but after doing a Full screen and returning to my orignal screen size the search toolbar was resized to let space for the "All Notes".

Thank you for the help.

I have a small problem with the Jump to Tag feature when I try to select the tag only with the keyboard.

ALT-SHIFT-T will properly display all the tags.

Using the down arrow of the keyboard will properly navigate within the list of tag.

Once I am over a tag, Pressing <Return> will fail to select the Tag and will refresh the list.

I must use the mouse to select the Tag.

oh!  Looks like I must move to the right of the selected tag and then hit the RETURN key to have it selected...  Not that intuitive...

Bonus point: Once I remains in that Jump to tag, attempting to select a second tag will only show me the list of tags that have notes belonging to the first tag I have selected.  Great stuff.

Using beta 5.0.0.1051 and noticed a change in the user interface with notebooks and tag selection. I used to be able to select a notebook in the left panel, and then click on a tag in the left panel and it would only show the notes in that notebook that had that tag. Now when I click a tag name after after clicking the notebook, it deselects the notebook and shows me all notes with that tag.

Though this might have been intentional on Evernote's part, but unfortunately it changes the way I work with Evernote and GTD. I can select the notebook, then click filter by tag and select the tag, resulting in extra mouse clicks/text entry.

Glad to have the reminders in the desktop client.

Regards,

Charles

Try the Jump to Tags feature. Shift+Alt+T It will only show tags within a notebook

This does not work for Business Notebooks, shared or unshared...

Seems like a bug, we'll look into it

To me the question still remains...is having to use Shift-Alt-T instead of being able to select multiple from the left panel using my mouse a bug or a new feature? ...yea I know, I am a bug not a feature...sorry  :-) 

with this V5 beta 3 I have also noticed that I can no longer select multiple tags to filter down to a subset of notes by using Ctrl + mouse click on second tag, third tag, etc within a selected notebook...or even select tags within a selected notebook, seems to always revert back to "All Notes" when you click on a tag ..I have actually noticed a similar type of thing with the latest android version but that is a different post I am sure :-) ...or, could be that I am new and am missing some setup thing that the new download flagged different...

I also noticed the same when I was using version 4.6.x.  I then upgraded to a 5.0 beta version and was able once again to select multiple tags by holding Ctrl and clicking, but now the problem returned.  I am currently using version 5.0.0.1051 (261559) Prerelease.  Creating a composite filter "on the fly" by selecting multiple tags using Ctrl is one of the most important and useful features of Evernote in general, and for using it as a GTD tool in particular (e.g., to find all tasks having context 1-Now and @Work, or 2-Next and @Home).

BUG

All my attached files had the date changed to the date I installed the beta

What version were you on before upgrading? Also, were these notes in your notebooks, business notebooks, joined notebooks, local, some subset of these or across all notebook types?

thanks!

Highlighting is fantastic! How about multiple colours?

And, as a suggestion: how about multi-colour search? It could be great to see different search terms highlighted in different colours.

thanks

André

• Evernote Expert
Bug: Hi dlu, i reported this bug in V5 Beta 1 itself, it is still not fixed. It is a minor bug only, but still it is a bug.

When i change the customize toolbar option, and modify it to my preference, like bringing the "Usage Meter" to the GUI and save it, it gets changed, but next time when i restart Evernote the next day, the changes which i made to toolbar yesterday, is not there. Please look.

Also, thanks so much for the highlighter. And will there be a V5 beta 4, with more awesome features? :) or will these features be common before we have an official Windows 5 release? Any hope of Skitch integration for Windows in this release? Especially, since if we annotate entire notes in the Ipad using skicth, it becomes a pain to access them in Evernote for Windows.

Dear developers,

usability of 5th evernote still very bad. There is several main reasons:

1. Design too flat and pale. In old versions i can see where notebooks and where tags. In 5th version i can't separate those parts of tree.

2. In old versions it was possible to select notebook and to select simultaneously several tags. It was great way to sort and find necessary notes (tasks). Without this possibility i must create many and many search requests and save this in favorites? It is wrong way, because i do not want to have one more long tree in addition to notebooks and tags. And again, see item 1.

My powerful GTD system ;) on evernote will die if usability will such bad :( Help evernote, please!

And thank you for great work !

• Level 5*

Dear developers,

1. Design too flat and pale. In old versions i can see where notebooks and where tags. In 5th version i can't separate those parts of tree.

2. In old versions it was possible to select notebook and to select simultaneously several tags. It was great way to sort and find necessary notes (tasks). Without this possibility i must create many and many search requests and save this in favorites? It is wrong way, because i do not want to have one more long tree in addition to notebooks and tags. And again, see item 1.

My powerful GTD system ;) on evernote will die if usability will such bad :( Help evernote, please!

Agreed. GTD has taken a big hit in this version. I have several shortcuts to folders, notebooks and tags in the V4 shortcut bar, which is now gone in V5. The new "shortcuts" feature is a step backwards from what the shortcut bar could do.

Dear developers,

Agreed. GTD has taken a big hit in this version. I have several shortcuts to folders, notebooks and tags in the V4 shortcut bar, which is now gone in V5. The new "shortcuts" feature is a step backwards from what the shortcut bar could do.

I don't have a GTD plan yet but also miss that shortcut bar...

• Level 5

Bug: Hi dlu, i reported this bug in V5 Beta 1 itself, it is still not fixed. It is a minor bug only, but still it is a bug.

When i change the customize toolbar option, and modify it to my preference, like bringing the "Usage Meter" to the GUI and save it, it gets changed, but next time when i restart Evernote the next day, the changes which i made to toolbar yesterday, is not there. Please look.

After you customize the toolbar to your preference, please exit Evernote completely to flush the new settings out to the registry.  I suspect that you're allowing Windows to close Evernote on shutdown, which can lead to a race condition where Windows kills Evernote before it flushes its new registry settings.

• Level 5*

Does the beta 3 client provide reminder notifications?  I see the notifications on my iphone but haven't seen anything within the Windows client.

Beta 3 can send reminder emails. That's about all for now; not sure whether they'll provide some sort of desktop or taskbar notifications any time soon, but it sure makes sense...
  • Level 5*

Be glad to help out.  Just let me know what you need.

Does the beta 3 client provide reminder notifications?  I see the notifications on my iphone but haven't seen anything within the Windows client.

Beta 3 can send reminder emails. That's about all for now; not sure whether they'll provide some sort of desktop or taskbar notifications any time soon, but it sure makes sense...
Right now, you have got to be quick, but they do appear ;)

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/84a816a6-bb75-439c-affa-ffbf88956787/087d720cdf98d334b8cde1b1d7f5d641

I'm hoping that this will develop further, since if you miss it, then it is gone.

I would like to see some form of permanent notification in the interface somewhere, that a reminder has passed the time/date set.

• Level 5*

Right now, you have got to be quick, but they do appear ;)

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/84a816a6-bb75-439c-affa-ffbf88956787/087d720cdf98d334b8cde1b1d7f5d641

I'm hoping that this will develop further, since if you miss it, then it is gone.

I would like to see some form of permanent notification in the interface somewhere, that a reminder has passed the time/date set.

Sure enough, I just tried it.  You have to be pretty observant to catch it.  A little more persistence would be nice :)

• Level 5*

I thought that that was what taskbar notifications were for...

BUG

All my attached files had the date changed to the date I installed the beta

What version were you on before upgrading? Also, were these notes in your notebooks, business notebooks, joined notebooks, local, some subset of these or across all notebook types?

thanks!

Latest windows public release, fresh install on new windows 8 computer, synced, upgraded to beta the next day. Personal notebooks, synced, no stacks. It's a bummer, but it doesn't look like I lost data.

Just wanted to chime in about a few apparently missing keyboard shortcuts.

Maybe I'm missing something simple, but if I remember right, in V4 you could do the following:

• Open a note in the right panel (while showing list or snippet view in the middle panel)
  • Edit the note in the right panel
  • Hit "Esc" to shift the focus back to the note list

It seems like there is no longer a keyboard shortcut to take the focus out of the right-hand panel note editor. This means that, starting from the editor, you can't use the keyboard to switch quickly from one note to another.

It also seems as though the Ctrl-Enter keyboard shortcut to open a note in a new window only works if the focus is on the note list, not inside the editor.

And finally, it looks as though the keyboard shortcut (as well as the menu option) to hide the various editor toolbars (wasn't it Shift-F8?) is gone.

I like the beta a lot, but I'd love to see those shortcuts back.

Just wanted to chime in about a few apparently missing keyboard shortcuts.

I only briefly used V4 before going to the V5 beta, but can anyone tell me if there is, or used to be, or could be, a keyboard shortcut to change the notebook of the note you're editing? F3 edits the tags, but I haven't found anything to edit the notebook

• Level 5*

Press F10 if the left panel is not already showing. Click on Tags. Create hierarchy of tags. Each time I review my tag list after this the list is always expanded. I would like to see it always collapsed, or preferably with the option to expand or collapse.

• Level 5*

Another issue:

Evernote.exe - Application Error
The instruction at 0x7672baba referenced memory at0x00000054. The memory could not be read.
Click on OK to terminate the program.

I was moving some tags around within the tags full pane (left panel/Tags).

Currently in EN 5 you cannot select multiple tags in the left panel by doing ctrl+click. Also, selecting tags in the left panel reverts to All Notes instead of the currently selected Notebook. Is this a permanent change? It makes it really hard to filter my notes since I am forced to type in tags.

Currently in EN 5 you cannot select multiple tags in the left panel by doing ctrl+click. Also, selecting tags in the left panel reverts to All Notes instead of the currently selected Notebook. Is this a permanent change? It makes it really hard to filter my notes since I am forced to type in tags.

Absolutely!

Additionally: more than two years i am waiting for H1 H2 H3 headers in text editor. It is must have, how it is possible to work without this?

I am sure in sunshine future :)

• Level 5*

Another issue:

Evernote.exe - Application Error
The instruction at 0x7672baba referenced memory at0x00000054. The memory could not be read.
Click on OK to terminate the program.

I was moving some tags around within the tags full pane (left panel/Tags).

You should have received a dialog that lets you send details of the crash to Evernote tech folks. Hopefully you submitted them.

• Level 5*

Has anyone lost their tags? I did, but I can't remember the details to reproduce it (was working in the tags window, renaming and moving tags into parent tags before the freeze) . I just know that I didn't delete them, but they are gone.

I have lost tags, pre and post this beta (it was recommended I try the beta to see if it would fix the issue, it didn't).  I believe it began about the time business was released, that's when I noticed some spurious behavior, off and on.  And it isn't really something that is going to jump out at you.

This was driving me crazy (about 25% of my notes are local and obviously tags are shared between local an sync notebooks). Also, I run on 2 PCs so local on either PC was at risk.  In any case, I did some testing and determined the below.

1. It seems to be related to new tags created for a note in a local notebook.  
  2. That tag does not sync while it is local (used to back in the day)
  3. That tag does not sync should  you move the note to a synced notebook.
  4. Here's the bad part, if you add a tag to that note after it is synced, the original new tags are wiped out of the note.  They remain in the tree but are gone from the note.

There is a trouble ticket open for this.  I've sent all of the above to EN, with screen shots of PC and Web showing the issues.  If they can't replicate the above, then my PC is haunted.  

• Level 5*

Has anyone lost their tags? I did, but I can't remember the details to reproduce it (was working in the tags window, renaming and moving tags into parent tags before the freeze) . I just know that I didn't delete them, but they are gone.

If anyone else sees something like this, and especially if you have steps to reproduce, please let us know. We'll jump on it.

Just posted something in case you didn't see.

• Level 5*

I just scanned the 52 posts on Beta 3 and did not see any comment about the missing Windows Favorite Bar.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/40780-v5-beta-2/?p=222282

Is it available?

We've migrated from the Favorites Bar into "Shortcuts" in the left panel. There are keyboard shortcuts ctrl+1 through ctrl+0 to get to your first ten shortcuts.

DLU

Why didn't you migrate Saved searches into Shortcuts then?  That was a quick access process using the favorites bar.  It can be replicated in the beta depending how many recent searches are maintained, other than you have to physically select the result rather than hitting enter.  Clicks have been added to my usage pattern with this beta.  This, tag selection with F3, ALT selection methods.  That and a clunkier looking interface with the different fonts in the left pane and the wasted real estate in the note header/info area.  Better looking icons for sure.

Still a happy user, just wondering why in today''s times things are made slower with forethought.  Just saying....    ;)

• Level 5*

Filtering by multiple tags in the left pane of the List View appears to be not possible. Is this intentional or is there a work around that I'm missing?

Try using jump to tags! Shift+Alt+T

Is okay, but does not auto-complete (my term, hit enter when only one tag is displayed)

• Level 5*

I have lost tags, pre and post this beta (it was recommended I try the beta to see if it would fix the issue, it didn't).  I believe it began about the time business was released, that's when I noticed some spurious behavior, off and on.  And it isn't really something that is going to jump out at you.

This was driving me crazy (about 25% of my notes are local and obviously tags are shared between local an sync notebooks). Also, I run on 2 PCs so local on either PC was at risk.  In any case, I did some testing and determined the below.

4. Here's the bad part, if you add a tag to that note after it is synced, the original new tags are wiped out of the note.  They remain in the tree but are gone from the note.

There is a trouble ticket open for this.  I've sent all of the above to EN, with screen shots of PC and Web showing the issues.  If they can't replicate the above, then my PC is haunted.  

I have seen similar but not the exact issue, and I too have a trouble ticket open for it.

1. Tag a note in a personal notebook. This is a tag that exists in personal only, not business.
  2. Move note to business notebook
  3. Note says it syncs, but it doesn't fully. I cannot get a "note link" for example for this kind of note.
  4. Go to web and the note does exist, but it is missing the tag that should have been "created" as this note moved to business.
  5. Delete the tag in the business note on my machine and resync.
  6. Reenter the tag, and sync again.
  7. Now I have TWO notes. One with the new tag, and one without. This only shows on the web. The local client doesn't show two notes. It is like the original is now on the web and won't push down.
  8. Delete the errant note.

This is very troublesome as there is NO INDICATION that all didn't go ok until you try to search for the note based on the tag, or try to get a note link or a shared URL from the note.

As I said, similar to your issue, but not exactly the same.

• Level 5*

Daniel:  Nice video.  I like the Empire Strikes Back coffee cup!

Indeed. Nice video Daniel! It shows off the product well and you did a good job with it.

http://evernote.com/evernote/whats_new/windows/?utm_source=silverpop&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=090313_windows_announce_en

I am a little bit concerned about this Jack fellow, though. Apparently, he was holding the release of the build until the Premium logo was finished. You gotta tell the guy to release stuff sooner and stop worrying about the Premium logo!

• Level 5*

Feature suggestion: since all our shortcuts are now moved to the left panel, can we have a link/dropdown option in the toolbar? We do for the new note options, so it shouldn't be impossible?

Feature suggestion: since all our shortcuts are now moved to the left panel, can we have a link/dropdown option in the toolbar? We do for the new note options, so it shouldn't be impossible?

I'm not sure I fully understand. Are you asking for a toolbar item (similar to New Note, Sync, etc) that brings up your Shortcuts?

• Level 5*

I'm not sure I fully understand. Are you asking for a toolbar item (similar to New Note, Sync, etc) that brings up your Shortcuts?

That's it exactly! It would allow me to maximize the focus on my content ... the idea came to me while I was watching the video announcing the new version.

That's it exactly! It would allow me to maximize the focus on my content ... the idea came to me while I was watching the video announcing the new version.

I also like the idea of a drop down for the shortcuts.

Might be nice to add a couple other buttons like show left panel. It would be very quick to click the button if you toggle the panel pretty often.

• Level 5*

This has been mentioned a couple of times already.  Having shortcuts in the toolbar would be very helpful to those of us that prefer to keep the left panel closed.  Shortcuts are the only thing I typically use there.  I know there are keyboard shortcuts to access them but I use several and will never keep them straight.

• Level 5*

Please consider adding notebook icons to the left panel.  Shortcuts above include icons to distinguish between notes and saved searches, so it would be consistent it you add them to the notebook section below.  Icons are included under the All Notes in the middle panel.  I'm not a fan of this "color is bad" UI trend but at least with the gray icons I can tell local from synced from shared.

• Level 5*

I have seen similar but not the exact issue, and I too have a trouble ticket open for it.

1. Tag a note in a personal notebook. This is a tag that exists in personal only, not business.
  3. Note says it syncs, but it doesn't fully. I cannot get a "note link" for example for this kind of note.
  4. Go to web and the note does exist, but it is missing the tag that should have been "created" as this note moved to business.
  7. Now I have TWO notes. One with the new tag, and one without. This only shows on the web. The local client doesn't show two notes. It is like the original is now on the web and won't push down.

This is very troublesome as there is NO INDICATION that all didn't go ok until you try to search for the note based on the tag, or try to get a note link or a shared URL from the note.

Ed H,

Probably more alike than not.  I avoided the two notes by adding the "lost" tag on the web version.  Took some finagling a couple of times, create a surrogate tag, delete the original, readd the original. but did not double up notes.  Only concern is did I fix all the notes that lost the tags?

• Level 5*

FYI, I just had this (local notebook changed to a synced notebook) problem happen again.  Same notebook as before.  I've been doing manual syncs since this problem first occurred so I caught this before any notes were synced.  I happened to be looking at the notebook icons for another post I was writing and noticed the icon next to this notebook was now a synced one.  Checking properties confirmed it.

It may not be related but FWIW I was tweaking the SearchAsYouTypeDelay setting in the registry and here is a snippet from the log file on some abnormal behavior. 

22:20:14 [5276] * Found 4 related notes for note 65589

22:20:28 [1320] Finding related notes for note 65589

22:20:28 [4948] 0% Authenticating user ""

22:20:30 [4948] Commit failed: code=00000302, CANT_UPDATE_ATTRS_TABLE, error: "Can't save uid=98, error: database is locked, database is locked"

22:20:30 [4948] 0% Connecting to www.evernote.com

22:20:31 [4948] 0% Session terminated normally, elapsed time: 2s

22:20:31 [4948] 0% * sent: 402B, received: 1.7KB

22:20:31 [4948] 0% * 0s (31%) spent in EDAM RPC

22:20:31 [1320] * Found 4 related notes for note 65589

22:20:57 [4620] Type Ahead Search Reindexing 1 notes

22:20:57 [4620] Commit failed: code=00000302, ITEM_NOT_FOUND, error: "Can't save uid=64448, error: database is locked, database is locked"

I would like to throw on the list of *wishes* a shortcut to jump to the related notes. I would also like some color to the interface much like the Mac version has.

agreed. Needs a quick and easy visual way to differentiate by colors.
  • Evernote Expert
1. Windows V5 Beta Beta 3 Crash report: Scenario : When i select a few notes manually and then when i try to move them to another notebook, the client crashes. This has happened 3-4 times today.

Evernote for Windows 5.0.0.1051 (261559) Prerelease
User: xxxxxxx
Memory: 37.1MB
Created: 2013/09/04 12:33:07
---
Bootstrap info: loadedDatabase
<bootstrap_info><profile name="Evernote"><settings account_email_domain="m.evernote.com" enable_facebook_sharing="1" enable_gift_subscriptions="1" enable_linkedin_sharing="1" enable_shared_notebooks="1" enable_single_notesharing="1" enable_sponsored_accounts="1" enable_support_tickets="1" enable_twitter_sharing="1" marketing_url="http://evernote.com" service_host="www.evernote.com" support_url="https://evernote.com/contact/support/"/></profile></bootstrap_info>
---
12:30:32 [3316] 0% Session terminated normally, elapsed time: 4s
12:30:32 [3316] 0% * sent: 4.7KB, received: 1.6KB
12:30:32 [3316] 0% * 1s (43%) spent in EDAM RPC
12:30:32 [3856] * Found 4 related notes for note 38761
12:30:32 [3856] Finding related notes for note 38767
12:30:32 [3316] 0% Authenticating user ""
12:30:36 [3316] 0% Connecting to www.evernote.com
12:30:38 [3316] 0% Session terminated normally, elapsed time: 5s
12:30:38 [3316] 0% * sent: 2.2KB, received: 1.2KB
12:30:38 [3316] 0% * 1s (24%) spent in EDAM RPC
12:30:38 [3856] * Found 4 related notes for note 38767
12:30:38 [3856] Finding related notes for note 38768
12:30:38 [3316] 0% Authenticating user ""
12:30:40 [3316] 0% Connecting to www.evernote.com
12:30:42 [3316] 0% Session terminated normally, elapsed time: 3s
12:30:42 [3316] 0% * sent: 3.8KB, received: 1.9KB
12:30:42 [3316] 0% * 1s (45%) spent in EDAM RPC
12:30:42 [3856] * Found 4 related notes for note 38768
12:30:43 [5148] Type Ahead Search Reindexing 13 notes

Log opened on 2013/09/04 12:30:45 (UTC+5:30)

12:30:45 [3816] Command line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\Evernote.exe"
12:30:45 [3816] Client info: Evernote Windows/261559; Windows/6.1.7601 Service Pack 1;
12:30:45 [3816] Bootstrap info: Evernote (loadedLastUsed)
12:30:45 [3816] Bootstrap info: Evernote (loadedDatabase)
12:30:45 [3816] Opened database: C:\Users\Sreema\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases\xxxxxx.exb (3.0GB Fixed)
12:30:45 [5800] Type Ahead Search Reindexing 13 notes
12:30:48 [5800] Finished Type Ahead Search reindexing 13 notes
12:30:49 [3572] Finding related notes for note 38766
12:30:50 [2444] 0% Authenticating user ""
12:30:53 [2444] 0% Connecting to www.evernote.com
12:30:55 [2444] 0% Session terminated normally, elapsed time: 5s
12:30:55 [2444] 0% * sent: 3.2KB, received: 1.8KB
12:30:55 [2444] 0% * 1s (37%) spent in EDAM RPC
12:30:55 [3572] * Found 4 related notes for note 38766

2. Also when typing for a search word, the client suddenly slows down for 5-6 seconds without any response and only then the note suggestions start appearing. Is this because I have 4000+ notes? Something like search indexing or something need to be done, so that each time i don't have to wait for the client to respond to the search query?

Please consider adding notebook icons to the left panel.  Shortcuts above include icons to distinguish between notes and saved searches, so it would be consistent it you add them to the notebook section below.  Icons are included under the All Notes in the middle panel.  I'm not a fan of this "color is bad" UI trend but at least with the gray icons I can tell local from synced from shared.

Yes, yes! I am not alone!

Have I missed an answer to this, on this thread or elsewhere? I've tried to get used to this using the beta, and I quite like the 'Jump to tags' feature as an additional route in, but it seems like a real backwards step to make the left-hand tree reset everything when you change the selection and I can't see the rationale for it. If I've selected a notebook and want to see the tags in that notebook, selecting the tag in the tree should reset the notebook selection back to All Notes...I know how to get back to All Notes if that's what I wanted to do!

How does the Mac version work, which I assume is the direction the Windows version is heading?

Sounds cool.

Also, please, support Stacks. In the web interface, at least, Stack shortcuts can be added but not selected.

What i hope to find in Evernote 5 but ...

• Headers in editor
  • Letter case independed searching
  • Using text from evernote and picture from skitch in one note simultoniously
  • Independet from IE settings of proxy

Sorry for feature request in this topic..

Sounds cool.

Also, please, support Stacks. In the web interface, at least, Stack shortcuts can be added but not selected.

You can drag Stacks into the Shortcuts section

Beta 3 is here! We've added drag & drop reordering for reminders within the same notebook. ...

Where is this? Or how do i use this feature?

In the Reminders  section while you're in All Notes, you should see Reminders in various notebooks (if you have them). You can drag and reorder in this section

Beta 3 is here! We've added drag & drop reordering for reminders within the same notebook. ...

In the Reminders  section while you're in All Notes, you should see Reminders in various notebooks (if you have them). You can drag and reorder in this section

But still only in the snippet view? Are you still planning on showing them in the list view somewhere?

• Level 5*

Yes! This would be nice. And moved to the top under the toolbar so it never scrolls out of view.

• Level 5*

Ed H,

Probably more alike than not.  I avoided the two notes by adding the "lost" tag on the web version.  Took some finagling a couple of times, create a surrogate tag, delete the original, readd the original. but did not double up notes.  Only concern is did I fix all the notes that lost the tags?

Glad I'm not the only one with this issue!

Unfortunately, I don't know if there is any way to determine that what the web holds matches your database. You could delete and redownload, but then you'd lose tags. THe only sure-fire way I know would be to either:

• Get a Note URL for a note. If you don't get one via the clipboard, there is a tag issue.
  • Look at note counts per tags on web and desktop and compare.

The latter is only feasible if you have relatively few tags. The former only if you have a few notes. Ideally, since EN knows something is wrong, the sync indicator (the dot) should be visible on these notes that aren't fully sync'd.

And before anyone suggests it, I've done a database rebuild in debug mode. Doesn't address this issue at all.  :(

Hi, first time posting.  Just wanted to say "thank you" for EN5. I upgraded last night. Apart from a couple of crashes (probably due to the reindexing process, I suspect) and an issue with setting changes not sticking (which seems to have gotten fixed by completely exiting and logging in again), I am very happy with this update.  Reminders and highlighting are huge pluses for me.  So far my transition has been smooth. I appreciate what you do and hope you keep up the great work.  Also, thanks to the beta testers for helping to tighten up this release of EN.  I'm sure there's still bugs due to its infancy, but I'm already quite pleased. Cheers!

-Bryan

• Level 5*

But still only in the snippet view? Are you still planning on showing them in the list view somewhere?

It is also available in card view, but I hope this becomes available in list view as well.

I, for one, think that the current implementation of reminders is spot on.  Having reminders in the snippet and card views allows me access reminders whenever I want, and at the same time leave the list view uncluttered. BTW, congratulations to DLU and cohorts for handling the BETA feedback as well as you have.  It is no small task to be open and responsive to critique, and at the same time stay true to your design vision.  Very well done!

• Level 5*

A couple of additional comments.  You won't see reminders sorted in various notebooks if you have the Sort Reminders by Date option selected (gear icon next to Reminders) since that will sort all of your reminders into one big list.  Also, when sorted by notebook, clicking on the notebook name above the reminders allows you to collapse and expand the reminder list independently for each notebook - a nice feature.

I just had something very strange happen that I'll mention in case others run into this.  I had a local notebook change into a synced one.  I noticed that Evernote was syncing and sitting around 1% much longer than it ever had and it caught my attention.  It seemed like the sync was stuck, which has never happened to me.  I checked my iphone and noticed a couple of notes that I knew were from a local notebook.  The notebook is a large one with several thousand notes that I've had for a few years.  I checked the properties of this notebook and found that it now said that it was a syncronized notebook.  I hide the left panel so can't even accidently get to the notebook properties ... and now that I've looked I don't even see a way to change a local notebook into a synced one, though, if I recall correctly, that option is in v4.

I disabled sync and then created a new local notebook.  Then copied all of the notes from the changed notebook into the new local one, deleted the old notebook and then performed a sync which removed the few incorrect notes from the server.  Everything is back to to normal.  I've never seen this happen before and suspect it is unique to beta 3 so thought I should report it.

Another Evernote 5 beta user here.  

I've had the changing local to synced issue - twice.  The first time may have been in beta 2, I wrote it off to user error as I was re-organising a lot of stuff at the time.  The second time was yesterday, beta 3 (5.0.0.1051), I too noticed some notes on my iPhone that shouldn't have been there.  It was the same notebook that had previously changed.  I did exactly what s2sailor did and I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Other issues I've  noticed aren't so onerous:

Ctrl+1..Ctrl+0, shortcuts to the first 10 user-defined items in the shortcut list in the navigation pane.  Very handy, and it works when the navigation pane is closed.  But the highlight doesn't move with the selection so it's not obvious which one you've selected.

A related issue, using the cursor keys to move the highlight works, but there doesn't seem to be a way to select the item highlighted.  Enter has no effect.

Do you folks happen to use tags in these local notebooks? Do they have the same tags as sync'd notebooks? Do you happen to move notes in and out between local and sync'd notebooks? Just fishing for some extra information as we dive into the issue

Oh-oh, I just checked, and it's happened AGAIN!  My "Local" notebook has synced to the cloud.

I use tags in my local notebook, most have just one tag but a handful have two.  But no more, and the tags are shared with the synced notebooks.

You have a suspicion the issue is related to the moving of notes between local and synced?  Well, that's a possibility.  Often, I'll get a small batch of documents in, scan them with Doxie which dumps them in my default notebook, which is synced.  Then I review the documents I scanned and quite a few get the notebook drop-down changed to "Local".  At the same time I'm adding a tag.  In the meantime Evernote may have auto-synced before the notebook name gets changed.

I'll see if I can replicate this, first I need to get my "Local" notebook restored. 

Update:  A quick test more or less repeating the above and all is OK so maybe it's going to be a bit tricky to pin down.

Oh-oh, I just checked, and it's happened AGAIN!  My "Local" notebook has synced to the cloud.

I use tags in my local notebook, most have just one tag but a handful have two.  But no more, and the tags are shared with the synced notebooks.

You have a suspicion the issue is related to the moving of notes between local and synced?  Well, that's a possibility.  Often, I'll get a small batch of documents in, scan them with Doxie which dumps them in my default notebook, which is synced.  Then I review the documents I scanned and quite a few get the notebook drop-down changed to "Local".  At the same time I'm adding a tag.  In the meantime Evernote may have auto-synced before the notebook name gets changed.

I'll see if I can replicate this, first I need to get my "Local" notebook restored. 

Thanks for the update. I'll PM you about this for more details

• Level 5*

I just had something very strange happen that I'll mention in case others run into this.  I had a local notebook change into a synced one.  I noticed that Evernote was syncing and sitting around 1% much longer than it ever had and it caught my attention.  It seemed like the sync was stuck, which has never happened to me.  I checked my iphone and noticed a couple of notes that I knew were from a local notebook.  The notebook is a large one with several thousand notes that I've had for a few years.  I checked the properties of this notebook and found that it now said that it was a syncronized notebook.  I hide the left panel so can't even accidently get to the notebook properties ... and now that I've looked I don't even see a way to change a local notebook into a synced one, though, if I recall correctly, that option is in v4.

I disabled sync and then created a new local notebook.  Then copied all of the notes from the changed notebook into the new local one, deleted the old notebook and then performed a sync which removed the few incorrect notes from the server.  Everything is back to to normal.  I've never seen this happen before and suspect it is unique to beta 3 so thought I should report it.

Another Evernote 5 beta user here.  

I've had the changing local to synced issue - twice.  The first time may have been in beta 2, I wrote it off to user error as I was re-organising a lot of stuff at the time.  The second time was yesterday, beta 3 (5.0.0.1051), I too noticed some notes on my iPhone that shouldn't have been there.  It was the same notebook that had previously changed.  I did exactly what s2sailor did and I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Other issues I've  noticed aren't so onerous:

Ctrl+1..Ctrl+0, shortcuts to the first 10 user-defined items in the shortcut list in the navigation pane.  Very handy, and it works when the navigation pane is closed.  But the highlight doesn't move with the selection so it's not obvious which one you've selected.

A related issue, using the cursor keys to move the highlight works, but there doesn't seem to be a way to select the item highlighted.  Enter has no effect.

Do you folks happen to use tags in these local notebooks? Do they have the same tags as sync'd notebooks? Do you happen to move notes in and out between local and sync'd notebooks? Just fishing for some extra information as we dive into the issue

I tend to use very few tags (I'm a key word guy).  The notebook that gets switched from local to sync has "no" tags.  I have an inbox notebook that is synced.  Emailed notes go to it and then I manually move them to the local notebook, so yes on this one.  I only move into the local notebook, never out of.

I tend to use very few tags (I'm a key word guy).  The notebook that gets switched from local to sync has "no" tags.  I have an inbox notebook that is synced.  Emailed notes go to it and then I manually move them to the local notebook, so yes on this one.  I only move into the local notebook, never out of.

Thanks! Can I ask how you move notes in general? Drag & drop?

• Level 5*

Thanks! Can I ask how you move notes in general? Drag & drop?

I don't drag and drop.  In the note pane I use the notebook drop down menu to select the new notebook.

I am a live one for this bug ... I just downloaded the GA version, did a manual sync and two local notebooks switched to sync.  One notebook is the same, and the other is a new one.

I, for one, think that the current implementation of reminders is spot on.  Having reminders in the snippet and card views allows me access reminders whenever I want, and at the same time leave the list view uncluttered. 

List view has lots of custom columns that can be added or removed. Simply having reminder date/time that can be added and sorted on would meet my needs.

Reminder search syntax now seems to work in the released version - is that new from beta 3?

I, for one, think that the current implementation of reminders is spot on.  Having reminders in the snippet and card views allows me access reminders whenever I want, and at the same time leave the list view uncluttered. 

List view has lots of custom columns that can be added or removed. Simply having reminder date/time that can be added and sorted on would meet my needs.

Reminder search syntax now seems to work in the released version - is that new from beta 3?

I believe the Reminder Syntax that was in Beta 3

• Level 5*

I see V5 is officially released.  Can someone tell me where I would go to download and save the last 4.x version?  I looked around, even searched the knowledge base, but can't find any links to older versions.

Edit: found it: http://www.filehippo.com/download_evernote/history/

Sweet. I just uploaded that to my SugarSync account and will use that to distribute new clients in our office.

Awesome, thanks so much for this update.

A little suggestion, too: would it be possible to set viewing settings per notebook? Depending the content of a notebook it makes more sense to view notes as a list or cards (e.g., task vs. picture notes). When changing to a different notebook this setting remains and needs to be modified every time...

cheers

André

Archived