(Archived) Evernote for Windows V5 beta 3

dlu

Beta 3 is here! We've added drag & drop reordering for reminders within the same notebook. We also have a new share bar for notes in shared notebooks.

Oh and we added a highlighter tool :-)

Thanks again for trying it out!

Welcome to the forum danlefeb :)

This is still a beta version (Shown by the term "Pre release" in the text in your image)

It would be nice to have a little more consistent naming scheme in the release notes though. (It can vary it seems :( )

Noticed something interesting with this version, not sure if it is new to this one or not.

Shared notebooks (and business notebooks) have a new information bar that shows creator and last editor. Could be quite useful:

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/f7018f85-22c3-4b69-bf30-5bb80b8732d0/2b0ef285b49aab7e5b81745e00e4ad99

• Level 5*

LOVE the highlighter!!!

The drag-and-drop of reminders within a notebook took me a little while to figure out for some reason, but that is awesome too!

I am not seeing the share bar, but that could be because I don't have many shared notes at the moment.

Great to see some of the suggestions that have been around for a long time and now starting to be implemented.

HIGHLIGHTED TEXT... YeeeHawww   :D

I was afraid I wouldn't last to see it.

If for no other reason than this... LOVE IT !

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Glad you like it! Yeah I know it took a while... Maybe I'll just go change my avatar to a turtle

• Level 5*

Please bring back the option to have separate tag/notebook/saved search searches in the toolbar. It was less cludded when you knew you wanted a certain tag, the program knew you wanted a tag and therefore highlighted the top tag letting you press enter to chose the first tag recommendation instanly. The left menu bar would also jump to that tag, making it a very quick and useful nested tag-tree navigation tool.  The closest thing - "filter by tag" - isn't nearly as effective, as it only sorts within a selected area, does not search within the tag name but from the first letter, and has no connection to the left side bar.

• Level 5*

And the international letter search bug has been adjusted slightly. å ä ö ø are now handled as 'a' and 'o' and æ is handeled as 'ae', while still leaving out search results containing å ä ö etc. except in word suggestions and they're still not displaying the correct letter.

Hi good job , the new interface is nice and the highlighter tool is a plus but after installed this beta version i can not  use some keyboards shortcut for example  , alt + shitt+ A , notes created today, etc  and where is the advanced search menu ? (notes created today , notes created last week , notes containing ... ,  )

Thanks in advanced.

• Level 5*

Glad you like it! Yeah I know it took a while... Maybe I'll just go change my avatar to a turtle

Turtles pull their heads into their shells -- you definitely don't do that!

On the multiply-defined tags thing: OK, so it looks like this has been at least partially addressed:

Scenario: you have a tag in a notebook shared to you that's identical to one from your personal account (e.g. "_Todo"). These tags show in the tag tree as "_Todo" and "_Todo (<shared account name>)". When clicking on an instance of the shared tag in the tag tree, both instances would automatically be selected (surprising UI), and the search would behave as though the two separate tags were added to the search string, most likely leading to automatic search failure, as you would wind up with a search for notes with both tags, which is impossible since you cannot apply tags from your account to notes from a different account, and vice-versa (suprising and bad). In other places in the UI (e.g. the search filter area, above the note list), the two tags appear to be indistinguishable, as they are just shown as a blue tag icon with the tag name inside. Most of the time, that's probably OK, since the context dictates which tag is being used, however, when filtering on a multiply-defined tag, the search filter area shows two identical copies of the same tag icon with no indication of which is which. Confusing.

Previously, as noted, searching on a multiply-defined tag would most probably fail; however, you could delete one or the other of the duplicated tag icons in the search filter area, and the search would use the remaining tag, and that would work sort of as expected, with the result finding only tags with the specific tag instance (personal or shared).

Currently, you still get the duplicated tag display, but now you cannot delete either of the "duplicates" from the search filter area, which is confusing. However, the search now finds notes with either tag, which is what I was looking for originally. This is a big improvement for my usage, so thathanks to the Win devs for that.

It's still not clear to me what the idea behind the behavior of auto-selecting all multiply defined tags in the tag tree when you select one of them, or the reason for showing duplicate blue icon tags in the search filter area, but Jack pointed out that this is still beta, and I see this build's change as forward progress. Even so, I can't really see much reason for having distinct tag instances for identically named tags in the tag tree (except perhaps for the note counts??), as you can't do anything with the individual tag instances. Obviously something I'm keeping my eye on, but I can wait on further progress and hopefully more explanation. Thanks again.

I am so excited by this update since I love the highlighter feature in Clearly and on my iPad.

Thanks!

My only concern with the beta is the lack of contrast, the website version and android versions have some nice grays as contrast and then pops of green while in this version the sidebar melts into the notes lists and the menu melts into the rest. (The notes themselves actually have contrast and depth though shadowing). Here's to hoping that the design will be addressed before it goes out of beta to give it a little more Evernote feel.

Turtles pull their heads into their shells -- you definitely don't do that!

On the multiply-defined tags thing: OK, so it looks like this has been at least partially addressed:

Scenario: you have a tag in a notebook shared to you that's identical to one from your personal account (e.g. "_Todo"). These tags show in the tag tree as "_Todo" and "_Todo (<shared account name>)". When clicking on an instance of the shared tag in the tag tree, both instances would automatically be selected (surprising UI), and the search would behave as though the two separate tags were added to the search string, most likely leading to automatic search failure, as you would wind up with a search for notes with both tags, which is impossible since you cannot apply tags from your account to notes from a different account, and vice-versa (suprising and bad). In other places in the UI (e.g. the search filter area, above the note list), the two tags appear to be indistinguishable, as they are just shown as a blue tag icon with the tag name inside. Most of the time, that's probably OK, since the context dictates which tag is being used, however, when filtering on a multiply-defined tag, the search filter area shows two identical copies of the same tag icon with no indication of which is which. Confusing.

Previously, as noted, searching on a multiply-defined tag would most probably fail; however, you could delete one or the other of the duplicated tag icons in the search filter area, and the search would use the remaining tag, and that would work sort of as expected, with the result finding only tags with the specific tag instance (personal or shared).

Currently, you still get the duplicated tag display, but now you cannot delete either of the "duplicates" from the search filter area, which is confusing. However, the search now finds notes with either tag, which is what I was looking for originally. This is a big improvement for my usage, so thathanks to the Win devs for that.

It's still not clear to me what the idea behind the behavior of auto-selecting all multiply defined tags in the tag tree when you select one of them, or the reason for showing duplicate blue icon tags in the search filter area, but Jack pointed out that this is still beta, and I see this build's change as forward progress. Even so, I can't really see much reason for having distinct tag instances for identically named tags in the tag tree (except perhaps for the note counts??), as you can't do anything with the individual tag instances. Obviously something I'm keeping my eye on, but I can wait on further progress and hopefully more explanation. Thanks again.

There's some bugginess in there that we're working on

After upgrading to the latest beta version, I experienced a dozen "not responding" errors from the Windows 7 client in the space of about 3 hours. I contacted tech help and they made me revert back to v4 since the beta isn't supported. Such a bummer, as the reminders and highlighter were a big improvement.

• Level 5*

After upgrading to the latest beta version, I experienced a dozen "not responding" errors from the Windows 7 client in the space of about 3 hours. I contacted tech help and they made me revert back to v4 since the beta isn't supported. Such a bummer, as the reminders and highlighter were a big improvement.

No, it is a beta, so not officially supported.

When you upgrade from 4 to 5, it does a massive reindex and is very sluggish and could explain some of the "not responding" issues you saw. If you are game, consider installing again tonight and go to bed and see if it is still doing it tomorrow. It depends on your database size. I know my reindexing seemed to take an hour or so. I have almost 16,000 notes in about 13GB of space.

When you upgrade from 4 to 5, it does a massive reindex and is very sluggish and could explain some of the "not responding" issues you saw. If you are game, consider installing again tonight and go to bed and see if it is still doing it tomorrow. It depends on your database size. I know my reindexing seemed to take an hour or so. I have almost 16,000 notes in about 13GB of space.

I had previously been using the 2nd beta version without trouble and had upgraded last night but didn't use it much. My database contains fewer than 1,000 notes, so I would assume it had already finished indexing. I'm so in love with reminders that I re-downloaded the earlier beta and it seems to be working fine. As long as this version doesn't develop any stability issues, I'll probably just wait until v5 is in public release before I do any more upgrading.

I had previously been using the 2nd beta version without trouble and had upgraded last night but didn't use it much. My database contains fewer than 1,000 notes, so I would assume it had already finished indexing. I'm so in love with reminders that I re-downloaded the earlier beta and it seems to be working fine. As long as this version doesn't develop any stability issues, I'll probably just wait until v5 is in public release before I do any more upgrading.

It could be the re-indexing. We've been making improvements to type-ahead search which is why we need to keep re-indexing. Even if you have under 1,000 notes, depending on your CPU, amount of text in each note, amount of text in PDFs in each note, amount of text in joined notebooks and other factors indexing can still take a while.

Do you happen to have only short/small notes?

It could be the re-indexing. We've been making improvements to type-ahead search which is why we need to keep re-indexing. Even if you have under 1,000 notes, depending on your CPU, amount of text in each note, amount of text in PDFs in each note, amount of text in joined notebooks and other factors indexing can still take a while.

Do you happen to have only short/small notes?

I have a handful of Word and PDF attachments, but only one of them (a PDF) could be considered large at 306 pages. The other PDFs are no more than 3 pages each, and most of the document attachments are maybe 4 pages. I do notice the large PDF shows as not having been indexed under the info button - haven't checked any of the others. My notes probably tend to the smaller end of the scale in general.

I'm running Windows 7, Intel i5 at 2.40GHz, if that's helpful. There shouldn't be much going on with this machine that would bog it down, I don't normally run many resource-intensive applications.

• Level 5

Suggestion: When this beta is ready for release, it would be helpful (and avoid unnecessary headaches) if you would give us some advice on expected indexing time based on your in-house benchmark testing. Or even better - some sort of running visual identification on the current status of indexing (43% complete - expected completion time: 9 hours 45 minutes)

• Level 5*

I have a handful of Word and PDF attachments, but only one of them (a PDF) could be considered large at 306 pages.

4.x doesn't index/ocr PDF files larger than 100 pages. Does 5.x change that?

• Level 5*

I have a handful of Word and PDF attachments, but only one of them (a PDF) could be considered large at 306 pages.

I believe this is not a Windows/Mac thing, but a server-side issue. There are several limits:

PDF OCR (Optical Character Recognition): You must be a Premium subscriber, the raw PDF must be 50 megabytes or less, the scan must contain no more than 100 pages, the raw PDF cannot already contain “searchable” text that you can select and copy, the PDF can’t be encrypted or protected with a passphrase, and the PDF cannot be a handwritten document. If you want to get more technical, text must have an approximately 0, 90, or 270 degree orientation.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=169

• Level 5*

I believe this is not a Windows/Mac thing, but a server-side issue. There are several limits:

PDF OCR (Optical Character Recognition): You must be a Premium subscriber, the raw PDF must be 50 megabytes or less, the scan must contain no more than 100 pages, the raw PDF cannot already contain “searchable” text that you can select and copy, the PDF can’t be encrypted or protected with a passphrase, and the PDF cannot be a handwritten document. If you want to get more technical, text must have an approximately 0, 90, or 270 degree orientation.

Yes, I know it was a server side restriction, but didn't know if that was because the client couldn't handle the results or the server cannot handle it. Thus my question. If the client was the weak link, has 5.x changed that? 

• Level 5*

Yes, I know it was a server side restriction, but didn't know if that was because the client couldn't handle the results or the server cannot handle it. Thus my question. If the client was the weak link, has 5.x changed that? 

I am sure the developers will drop in later and answer this, but in my understanding, the client has nothing to do with it. This is a restriction on the server side that is independent of the clients. The Mac cannot do this either (as far as I know).

As a point of reference, Google also has a limit in G-Drive on the number of pages it will OCR. Importantly, they also refuse to index even OCR'd PDFs past page 100, which means that (at least in my case) the service is entirely useless for searching, because the searches are incomplete.

My guess is that the OCR takes up tremendous server resources, so both companies try to restrict this. From personal experience, I can confirm that doing OCR is a major operation on any Windows or Mac device and chews up resources for long periods of time, so even assuming the servers are quite a bit more robust than my Macbook Air, the OCR for everyone around the world is no mean feat. 

I am sure the developers will drop in later and answer this, but in my understanding, the client has nothing to do with it. This is a restriction on the server side that is independent of the clients. The Mac cannot do this either (as far as I know).

As a point of reference, Google also has a limit in G-Drive on the number of pages it will OCR. Importantly, they also refuse to index even OCR'd PDFs past page 100, which means that (at least in my case) the service is entirely useless for searching, because the searches are incomplete.

My guess is that the OCR takes up tremendous server resources, so both companies try to restrict this. From personal experience, I can confirm that doing OCR is a major operation on any Windows or Mac device and chews up resources for long periods of time, so even assuming the servers are quite a bit more robust than my Macbook Air, the OCR for everyone around the world is no mean feat. 

We haven't changed that policy

• Level 5*

Is there any way to access shortcuts without showing the left panel?  If not, please consider adding shortcuts as a toolbar option so those of us that prefer a two pane view will have access to them. 

• Level 5*

Is there any way to access shortcuts without showing the left panel?  If not, please consider adding shortcuts as a toolbar option so those of us that prefer a two pane view will have access to them.

In general, no. But your saved searches are available by clicking in the search control on the right-hand side of the toolbar. You should get a menu with searches on top, and saved searches below.

Another thing what makes me wondering: In beta 3 i see the count of all notes aggregated, including shared notebooks from others, in the webview i see only my own notes aggregated. If i saw this the first time, i was alarmed, but after counting all the note in my own notebooks and compare them with the rest, i found the solution :-) Could you please only count "own notes" under the "notes" point in the left pane?

Has anyone lost their tags? I did, but I can't remember the details to reproduce it (was working in the tags window, renaming and moving tags into parent tags before the freeze) . I just know that I didn't delete them, but they are gone.

Is there any way to access shortcuts without showing the left panel? If not, please consider adding shortcuts as a toolbar option so those of us that prefer a two pane view will have access to them.

In general, no. But your saved searches are available by clicking in the search control on the right-hand side of the toolbar. You should get a menu with searches on top, and saved searches below.

Try Ctrl + 1 to 0 for the first 10 shortcuts you have.

Maybe i didnt see it but, where in Beta V3 can i add or change the Author of a Note? Its possible in Web, but i cant see a way in WIndows V5 beta. Isnt it possible?

Click on the info button on the right hand side of the note toolbar. You should see author there.

Yeah, the link http://evernote.com/download/get.php?file=Win5Beta doesn't point to the latest beta ... alas!

I believe that this is still for v4, and that there is still some development there as well. So keeping them separate may not actually be a bad thing.

First: thank you for the highlighter!

Second: i am finding that in order to add a tag to a note, i have to click on the "click to add tag" twice. This only happens if i have selected a word or phrase and ctrl-c it to copy it in order to make it a tag. Then it requires 2 clicks (not a double click) on the "click to add tag" in order for the field to become available. I hope my explanation is clear.

Maybe i didnt see it but, where in Beta V3 can i add or change the Author of a Note? Its possible in Web, but i cant see a way in WIndows V5 beta. Isnt it possible?

Above the note editor, there is an "i" icon/button. That lets you modify all the meta-info of the note.

Has anyone lost their tags? I did, but I can't remember the details to reproduce it (was working in the tags window, renaming and moving tags into parent tags before the freeze) . I just know that I didn't delete them, but they are gone.

If anyone else sees something like this, and especially if you have steps to reproduce, please let us know. We'll jump on it.

First: thank you for the highlighter!

Second: i am finding that in order to add a tag to a note, i have to click on the "click to add tag" twice. This only happens if i have selected a word or phrase and ctrl-c it to copy it in order to make it a tag. Then it requires 2 clicks (not a double click) on the "click to add tag" in order for the field to become available. I hope my explanation is clear.

Hmm I think I understand... It seems to happen on and off for me (in my very brief time playing around with it). We'll take a look

We have keyboard shortcuts ctrl+1 through ctrl+0 to access the first 10 shortcuts in your list

Somewhat off the beaten path, but I don't like the Editor tool bar to be there all the time.  I tried the registry change mentioned in the forum Set AutoShowNoteToolbar=0.

But I notice that there is still a bunch of whitespace where the toolbar was, any chance that could be reduced?

with this V5 beta 3 I have also noticed that I can no longer select multiple tags to filter down to a subset of notes by using Ctrl + mouse click on second tag, third tag, etc within a selected notebook...or even select tags within a selected notebook, seems to always revert back to "All Notes" when you click on a tag ..I have actually noticed a similar type of thing with the latest android version but that is a different post I am sure :-) ...or, could be that I am new and am missing some setup thing that the new download flagged different...

Above the note editor, there is an "i" icon/button. That lets you modify all the meta-info of the note.

There is no box, to edit the Author. i have added a screenshot.

post-138482-0-30754500-1377355898_thumb.

That is probably a bug. What type of notebook is that note in? A notebook someone invited you to? (If so, what permission level do have?) Is it perhaps a business notebook or something else?

thanks!

First let me say thanks so much for the highlighter. 

One thing. In EN 4.x and before, you could close a note by hitting ESC key. This seems to be gone in the new Beta. Can you bring it back? 

Thanks, and keep up the good work. 

That is probably a bug. What type of notebook is that note in? A notebook someone invited you to? (If so, what permission level do have?) Is it perhaps a business notebook or something else?

thanks!

This issue occurs in all of my normal personal notebooks. If i look in the web oin the same notes, all works fine.

First off, I really like the highlighter. It's great!

Second, I'd like to point out a rather frustrating new issue I've discovered since updating that messes my whole work-flow. It's a simple thing really. It seems that I can no longer select multiples of anything in the Left Pane (tags, notebooks, shortcuts, etc). This really throws me off, because I like to select a saved search that filters specific tags out, and then run down my to-do list of context tags...I can't do this, however, if I can't select multiple items.

Anyone else noticed this?

A small menu glitch:

Sometimes the option for "View - Show Related Notes" disappears.

I have noticed that this appears to disappear when I am switching between accounts. (business to free and back)

To return the menu option I need to quit Evernote (File -> Quit) and restart it.

EDIT: Image, and a second issue:

Missing option:

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/de358011-b494-4a09-bc4d-e8b3ec4f5dec/38392f12be74e818189b70d5dedc3c6e

Note cut off issue:

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/51a5e677-5105-48ad-a2cb-709d5a78edb9/1bb5ae1cc41ad84ce465916ff88af02a

I have found 2 ways to replicate this:

1. Create ScreenClip -> Click on right side of image in new note to set cursor there -> Center the image in the alignment menu.

2. Open a note with image -> Click and drag image -> When released, I see the note cut off half way in the image.

WOW... it's exciting to see v5.

When I click a card that contains a audio note, the note displays incorrectly in the Note Panel, until I resize the program window. I've attached some screen grabs which say it better than I can.

Note Panel view after clicking Card View

post-85673-0-24489300-1377472640_thumb.p

Note Panel view after resizing Evernote program window.

post-85673-0-26598900-1377472648_thumb.p

• Level 5*

I use the 3 pane view and really want the toolbar back. The shortcuts scroll out of view too often.

Can I also add a request here to automatically set the author of each note created via the GUI to whoever is logged into evernote?  In version 4 and the v5 beta for windows it is always blank by default, which is really frustrating when collaborating with others in the Business version...

When I scroll my notes, the title scrolls offscreen as well. I'd really like to see it remain visible at the top of the note

Also there seems to be excess white space between the note title and the first line of the note.

Screen grab here:

post-85673-0-49799700-1377484854_thumb.p

Can I also add a request here to automatically set the author of each note created via the GUI to whoever is logged into evernote?  In version 4 and the v5 beta for windows it is always blank by default, which is really frustrating when collaborating with others in the Business version...

I agree, it's a pain having to laboriously type my name into every single note I create.

Thanks a lot for bringing all these goodies to WIndows, too!

Reminders and highlighting are great additions. Highlighting is in line with my wish to have Clearly better integrated. Is the highlighting the same in Clearly and the Windows app?

In general, please continue the trend to create a more consistent Evernote service. Still, there are differences among platforms and tools. It would be fantastic if Evernote worked more smoothly across platforms (web, desktop, mobile) to provide the same feature set in the same way (e.g. editors, editing meta-data) and better integrate tools like Skitch and Clearly. Will there ever be Penultimate for other platforms?

thanks a lot

André

• Level 5

Keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Shift + C for inserting Checkbox not working with evernote beta version 3

It seems to work for me.  Are you sure you're focused in the note when you press the shortcut key (i.e., do you see the blinking caret in the note editor window)?

First off, I really like the highlighter. It's great!

Second, I'd like to point out a rather frustrating new issue I've discovered since updating that messes my whole work-flow. It's a simple thing really. It seems that I can no longer select multiples of anything in the Left Pane (tags, notebooks, shortcuts, etc). This really throws me off, because I like to select a saved search that filters specific tags out, and then run down my to-do list of context tags...I can't do this, however, if I can't select multiple items.

Anyone else noticed this?

Yes I have noticed...it is frustrating...

I seen that the Mac Version of the app has the title of notes in bold. Could you made this also for Windows? Is just a very simple fix that could increase a lot the readability of the notes. Maybe is already in bold, but a little more bolder?

1KexIw1.jpg

Versus

qvTJJeD.jpg

Thanks

Thanks, we'll look into that

Using beta 5.0.0.1051 and noticed a change in the user interface with notebooks and tag selection. I used to be able to select a notebook in the left panel, and then click on a tag in the left panel and it would only show the notes in that notebook that had that tag. Now when I click a tag name after after clicking the notebook, it deselects the notebook and shows me all notes with that tag.

Though this might have been intentional on Evernote's part, but unfortunately it changes the way I work with Evernote and GTD. I can select the notebook, then click filter by tag and select the tag, resulting in extra mouse clicks/text entry.

Glad to have the reminders in the desktop client.

Regards,

Charles

I seen that the Mac Version of the app has the title of notes in bold. Could you made this also for Windows? Is just a very simple fix that could increase a lot the readability of the notes. Maybe is already in bold, but a little more bolder?

1KexIw1.jpg

Versus

qvTJJeD.jpg

Thanks

Thanks, the last time we played around with it, adding in bold was too much. We weren't able to easily add in a semi-bold type of formatting. We'll try to revisit this as we have time

Using beta 5.0.0.1051 and noticed a change in the user interface with notebooks and tag selection. I used to be able to select a notebook in the left panel, and then click on a tag in the left panel and it would only show the notes in that notebook that had that tag. Now when I click a tag name after after clicking the notebook, it deselects the notebook and shows me all notes with that tag.

Though this might have been intentional on Evernote's part, but unfortunately it changes the way I work with Evernote and GTD. I can select the notebook, then click filter by tag and select the tag, resulting in extra mouse clicks/text entry.

Regards,

Charles

Try the Jump to Tags feature. Shift+Alt+T It will only show tags within a notebook

• Level 5*

I just scanned the 52 posts on Beta 3 and did not see any comment about the missing Windows Favorite Bar.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/40780-v5-beta-2/?p=222282

Is it available?

We've migrated from the Favorites Bar into "Shortcuts" in the left panel. There are keyboard shortcuts ctrl+1 through ctrl+0 to get to your first ten shortcuts.
And there has been discussion about the the new shortcuts vs. the old favorites in other V5 topics.
  • Level 5*

Thanks

Thanks, the last time we played around with it, adding in bold was too much. We weren't able to easily add in a semi-bold type of formatting. We'll try to revisit this as we have time

What, LOGFONT::lfWeight = DEMI_BOLD doesn't work any more? :)

(I know it's never actually that simple)

• Level 5*

Keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Shift + C for inserting Checkbox not working with evernote beta version 3

Also doesn't work for me.  Win7 x 64.  I have the NewFrames enabled, and AutoNoteToolbar turned off if it helps.
This works for me; I've been using it all along, and just tested it this moment. Win7/64 also.

Thanks

What, LOGFONT::lfWeight = DEMI_BOLD doesn't work any more? :)

(I know it's never actually that simple)

Oh DEMI_BOLD, here I've been trying semi. Just the letter next-door and we would've had it...

(Yeah, I wish it were always that simple)

• Level 5*

I just scanned the 52 posts on Beta 3 and did not see any comment about the missing Windows Favorite Bar.

Is it available?

We've migrated from the Favorites Bar into "Shortcuts" in the left panel. There are keyboard shortcuts ctrl+1 through ctrl+0 to get to your first ten shortcuts.

And there has been discussion about the the new shortcuts vs. the old favorites in other V5 topics.

Where? I've seen posts from users about it, but not a discussion. Can you link to it please?

• Evernote Expert
@dlu and team : Thanks for this 3rd beta of V5. I love the highlighter.

Is there any way, i can add my own keyboard shortcut ( preferably with two keys like [ctrl+c] or [f+g] only)  to call the highlighter function?

Also doesn't work for me.  Win7 x 64.  I have the NewFrames enabled, and AutoNoteToolbar turned off if it helps.

This works for me; I've been using it all along, and just tested it this moment. Win7/64 also.

I tried it with those two reg hacks restored to defaults, and it still doesn't insert a Check box.

Just to test focus, etc. I tried Ctrl-Shift-"-" to insert horizontal line, and it work fine, but not the check box.  I tried it in its own window as well as the main window.

We warmly welcome. I am writing this post, because I have a question.
Namely, please tell me why I crash Evernote on Windows 8 x64 Desktop. All the time it gives me a fatal error. Has anyone any advice on how to fix it.

• Level 5*

Is it available?

Where? I've seen posts from users about it, but not a discussion. Can you link to it please?

Actual discussion, minimal, as far as I can tell (though I could swear I whined about it before, as I don't care for it, but maybe that was the location of the search control), but dlu posted about it back in the private beta era, which is probably how jbenson missed it. There have also topics separate from the main beta topics concerning the Shortcuts entry. Really, the point was there has been commentary on it in the public area.
  • Level 5*

Is there any way, i can add my own keyboard shortcut ( preferably with two keys like [ctrl+c] or [f+g] only) to call the highlighter function?

Doubt that there is a way to add your own via Evernote, though maybe there's a hidden registry key (Scott??), but Ctrl+Shift+H will do it, and if you can do it with that, then you can probably use the third-party AutoHotKey program to simulate the key that you want.

Is there any way, i can add my own keyboard shortcut ( preferably with two keys like [ctrl+c] or [f+g] only) to call the highlighter function?

Doubt that there is a way to add your own via Evernote, though maybe there's a hidden registry key (Scott??), but Ctrl+Shift+H will do it, and if you can do it with that, then you can probably use the third-party AutoHotKey program to simulate the key that you want.
Much like the checkbox shortcut, and the rest, the editor hotkeys can't be changed.

AutoHotkey would be the way to create your own one if you really wanted to change it. (use it to capture your input hotkey and send the evernote window the highlight hotkey)

Just wanted to jump in and say thanks for all the hard work getting the Windows client up to speed with the others.  I know you guys take a lot of flak in these forums.  I really like what I'm seeing so far and the addition of the highlight and reminders is fantastic - I've been using Evernote since 2008 and have thousands of personal and business notes so it's the one tool that's absolutely indispensable to me.  The refreshed interface is nice and clean and uncluttered which I personally like though others may prefer a couple of skinning options.  I am a little worried that we're going to lose the left bar and the ability to easily navigate notebooks - I think the Mac interface has taken a little too much away from a power user.  I'd like to see the tool retain some of the complexity that makes it so powerful - advanced search parameters for example.  Also, it'd be great if we could have a split note at cursor option (to create 2 notes out of one) to complement the merge functionality.

Thanks again.

Stuart

Filtering by multiple tags in the left pane of the List View appears to be not possible. Is this intentional or is there a work around that I'm missing?

Try using jump to tags! Shift+Alt+T

Filtering by multiple tags in the left pane of the List View appears to be not possible. Is this intentional or is there a work around that I'm missing?

Thanks for this!

Thanks for this!

my thanks as well...question, is this something we can consider a temporary work around or is the ability to filter by multiple tags in the left pane a thing of the past?

Drag and drop of an image to a detached note window flashes, but doesn't add the image.  I can drag the same image to the same note in the main interface.

Also Open with.  on an image didn't seem to do anything the first time (and just clicked on Open with, because the sub menu wasn't shown)  I think now it has populated the menu items, and open with works.

A bug is here I suppose. Evernote - Skitch integration bug - after a screenshot from Skitch to Evernote uploading the note with the screenshot has just a generic title "Screenshot", but in Evernote V5 I CANNOT change the title for something else, although in previous versions I could do it. How can I fix it? Thanks.

A bug is here I suppose. Evernote - Skitch integration bug - after a screenshot from Skitch to Evernote uploading the note with the screenshot has just a generic title "Screenshot", but in Evernote V5 I CANNOT change the title for something else, although in previous versions I could do it. How can I fix it? Thanks.

That is a bug, we have it on our list! Thanks for reporting it and sorry for the troubles.

Regards,

Charles

Try the Jump to Tags feature. Shift+Alt+T It will only show tags within a notebook

This does not work for Business Notebooks, shared or unshared...

Haven't tested it excessively but glad to see the beta 3 of evernote v5 is going in the direction of improvement. Was very disappointed with the first beta that looked like pre alpha but this is shaping up. Mentioned bugs by other users will get fix to large extend by the time of final release I'm sure. So keep up the good work.

• Level 5*

I just had something very strange happen that I'll mention in case others run into this.  I had a local notebook change into a synced one.  I noticed that Evernote was syncing and sitting around 1% much longer than it ever had and it caught my attention.  It seemed like the sync was stuck, which has never happened to me.  I checked my iphone and noticed a couple of notes that I knew were from a local notebook.  The notebook is a large one with several thousand notes that I've had for a few years.  I checked the properties of this notebook and found that it now said that it was a syncronized notebook.  I hide the left panel so can't even accidently get to the notebook properties ... and now that I've looked I don't even see a way to change a local notebook into a synced one, though, if I recall correctly, that option is in v4.

I disabled sync and then created a new local notebook.  Then copied all of the notes from the changed notebook into the new local one, deleted the old notebook and then performed a sync which removed the few incorrect notes from the server.  Everything is back to to normal.  I've never seen this happen before and suspect it is unique to beta 3 so thought I should report it.

Another Evernote 5 beta user here.  

I've had the changing local to synced issue - twice.  The first time may have been in beta 2, I wrote it off to user error as I was re-organising a lot of stuff at the time.  The second time was yesterday, beta 3 (5.0.0.1051), I too noticed some notes on my iPhone that shouldn't have been there.  It was the same notebook that had previously changed.  I did exactly what s2sailor did and I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Other issues I've  noticed aren't so onerous:

Ctrl+1..Ctrl+0, shortcuts to the first 10 user-defined items in the shortcut list in the navigation pane.  Very handy, and it works when the navigation pane is closed.  But the highlight doesn't move with the selection so it's not obvious which one you've selected.

A related issue, using the cursor keys to move the highlight works, but there doesn't seem to be a way to select the item highlighted.  Enter has no effect.

• Level 5*

I just had something very strange happen that I'll mention in case others run into this.  I had a local notebook change into a synced one. 

I had exactly the same problem. DLU is aware of this problem. I reported it to support, but was told that they couldn't help because I was using the beta version and should revert to the last-known good version.

Archived