(Archived) Hampered Search Capability

jbenson2

• Level 5

I upgraded to version 4.6.7.8409 (268917) Public this morning and immediately noticed an issue.

As usual, a search for a keyword produces a list of notes that contain the keyword.

But when the note in the Note List is clicked, the screen will reveal the keyword only occasionally.

Other times I have to jump over to the Note Panel and manually scroll down the through the note to find the keyword (or Ctrl F).

This requires a lot more swapping from keyboard to mouse and back to keyboard to review the list of notes.

And therefore makes the Evernote search far less useful than the previous version.

Edit: I usually wait at least a couple weeks before upgrading to see if other folks have problems with the upgrade. I believe this upgrade was posted on July 25 or earlier.

• Level 5

I contacted Evernote Support and received the following:

Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention.

I have tried to relocate it and cannot. Would you be able to send in a couple of screen shots of it happening on your machine?

So I sent them this response which shows the search problem.

Here is a specific example. My search term is:
"National Security Agency"

The search finds 130 notes.  Here are a variety of screen captures that show the search working correctly and incorrectly. When it does not show the search term, I have to use the Ctrl F to find the term inside each note.

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s2/sh/1368ced7-b164-495c-bedd-9edac8114e11/960ef75930a9da8e8eafc7f62bffed9a

Support Ticket 123755

• Level 5

Search Bug update-message from support:

Thank you so much for the screen shots. They were very clear and concise and will be easy to transfer to our QA team who handles the bugs in the system. I wish there were something I could do to fix it today. Unfortunately, I cannot.

I will, however, escalate it to the QA team.

Sigh...

This is a bummer since Search is the main reason I use Evernote.

I will try to revert back to the previous version that did not have the bug.

• Level 5

I got the following Evernote survey question today.

It reminds me of the classic "Do you still beat your wife?" question.

Yes, I still beat her; or No, I stopped beating her.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

We'd love to hear what you think of our customer service. Please take a moment to answer one simple question by clicking either link below:

How would you rate the support you received?

• Good, I'm satisfied
  • Bad, I'm unsatisfied

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My interpretation:

Good - I am happy with Customer Service. My issue has been resolved.

Bad - I did not like Customer Service. Ding the Support person who answered my issue.

Of course, in this case, the issue is not Support. The issue is the Search issue.

Archived