(Archived) iPad & iPhone untagged items sort

Hi all,

I hope someone can help. I have searched Google several times, and also the Evernote forum for the answer to the following problem. So apologies if this had been dealt with previously, or an obvious question. 

I will attach a couple of Skitch diagrams of my Evernote to try and explain more clearly.

In recent months Evernote has transformed my organisation skills and allowed me to think clearer - So thanks Evernote! However, when I try to find untagged items on my iPad & iPhone I find it extremely difficult. So I wait until I get home to tag any notes I have sent to Evernote during the day - Not a major problem, but an irritating one.

Mac Evernote allows me to go to my inbox and sort by tag - The untagged items appear at the top of the page.....no matter how old they are (first Skitch picture hopefully).

On the iPad the same page looks different. The tags are showing, but I seemingly cannot sort the notes by tag. Therefore any untagged notes could be buried anywhere.

If anybody has any ideas I would be extremely grateful. Perhaps it is a feature that is not available.

Regards,

Nathan 

(Moo)

post-146595-0-20042100-1376584683_thumb.

• Level 5*

Hi. Welcome to the forums. As you correctly surmised, this feature is unavailable on iOS. We used to have six sort options like Android currently does. We now have three, which is one more than the two we had last fall, but about 13 less than Windows currently has. My guess (I have no inside knowledge about this) would be that we will probably not see any more sort items coming, and if we do, tags would not be at the top of the list, so-to-speak.

If you assume this is the case, you then have to make a choice with your organizational system. Do you continue with your current workaround, or do you modify your workflow to fit the lowest common denominator of features (iOS) in your situation? I have chosen the latter.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=367

Personally, I find this system of relying more on titles than tags works pretty well for me. Your mileage may vary. If your tags remain pretty stable, then I think it would be worth doing. Of course, you can still use tags with my system, but they become one of several organizational "hooks" to browse and find data instead of the only one.

GrumpyMonkey,

Thankyou for taking the time to respond. 

I use the Secret Weapon/GTD setup for Evernote, as you can probably see - I didn't make that clear in my first post. So I need to see which notes aren't tagged so I can manage them effectively.

At the moment I send any notes to Evernote via email and then tag them when I open up Evernote. This is currently at the end of the day when I get home to the Mac. But it would be easier to have this on iPhone/iPad. 

However, I remember reading a while back that you can attach tags to the note when you send your email (as below):

In the subject line of your email, write the title of the note as you want it to appear in your account. In the same subject line, add one or both of the following:

• Use @ for notebooks: Use an @ symbol followed by the name of your destination notebook
  • Use # for tags: Use a # symbol followed by the tag or tags you wish to assign. You can have multiple tags just make sure each one starts with an #

Thankyou again for making the availability of features clear, I can now stop thinking about it and plan how I am going to work around it.

• Level 5*

GrumpyMonkey,

Thankyou for taking the time to respond. 

I use the Secret Weapon/GTD setup for Evernote, as you can probably see - I didn't make that clear in my first post. So I need to see which notes aren't tagged so I can manage them effectively.

At the moment I send any notes to Evernote via email and then tag them when I open up Evernote. This is currently at the end of the day when I get home to the Mac. But it would be easier to have this on iPhone/iPad. 

However, I remember reading a while back that you can attach tags to the note when you send your email (as below):

In the subject line of your email, write the title of the note as you want it to appear in your account. In the same subject line, add one or both of the following:

• Use @ for notebooks: Use an @ symbol followed by the name of your destination notebook
  • Use # for tags: Use a # symbol followed by the tag or tags you wish to assign. You can have multiple tags just make sure each one starts with an #

Thankyou again for making the availability of features clear, I can now stop thinking about it and plan how I am going to work around it.

Glad I could help! I figured you used TSW. It's usually the TSW folks who bring up these kinds of issues :) 

Indeed, you are correct about the emails. If you find that to be effective, then you are all set, but it seems like this would force you to spend a lot of time in Mail. Let us know what workaround you devise, because I think other TSW users would be interested to know.

Personally, my position is that Evernote ought to have (as much as possible) parity across all of the clients in order to avoid these kinds of issues. 

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/31452-evernote-productivity-suggestions-for-all-clients/

However, this isn't currently the case, and it seems unlikely that it will ever be this way, though I would be happy to be proven wrong on this count! In general, once you know the limitations of the overall service, different payment tiers, and different clients then you can make an informed decision about how to best incorporate Evernote into your workflow. I've collected some information that might help in this regard.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=169

Archived