Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo

Is it possible to extend Evernote functionality in the Mac app?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brucem76

brucem76

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:06 PM

I am interested in extending the functionality of Evernote, within the Evernote app on a Mac - much in the same way you add a macro in a spreadsheet to perform an automated function each time it is triggered.

I know it is possible to write other apps that can interact with Evernote via the API, but is it possible to create functionality within Evernote - add an icon, or a menu item, or a keyboard shortcut to fetch some live info from a web service, and paste it into the open doc?

#2 AndyDent

AndyDent

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 245 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

Yes but someone would need to write the helper app and you might need to follow it up with a paste command, although maybe you could do the whole thing with AppleScript.

The key is using a Custom URL Handler.

See this superuser discussion and this StackOverflow answer.

So, once you have the script working, you put a special URL on an image or piece of text in the note.

I will play with this if someone else doesn't implement an example for you but not for a few days.

#3 brucem76

brucem76

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

Thanks - but I'm not sure that's gonna solve my problem. I want to be in Evernote on my Mac, busy working on a note, then I want to be able to highlight a section of text, and somehow get it to access a web service with this text, receive other text back, and insert the new text into the document. I could do this in a spreadsheet or word doc by writing a macro. Any way of extending Evernote in this kind of way?

#4 Mustafa

Mustafa

• Group: Evernote Employee
  • 348 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:35 PM

You could create an applescript service and then run operations on the selected text (image attached). There is no other plugin mechanism in the Mac app. 

Attached Files

#5 AndyDent

AndyDent

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:51 AM

Thanks, Mustafa, for reminding me of services - I always forget them!  :wacko:

Bruce, sorry, I wasn't thinking of you wanting to work on arbitrary content from your note. I was thinking just about having something clickable in a note to trigger the action.

Mustafa's solution is a pretty cool idea. My offer still stands - if you're not able to do this by yourself I will do it later in the week as a nice exercise.

#6 brucem76

brucem76

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:49 AM

Thanks guys - the Applescript/Automator tip was perfect - I created a service, got it to input the selected text, used Applescript to modify the text into a URL,called a web service and got a text result back, and replaced original text with this.

Assigned a keyboard shortcut, and now in any app on my Mac, Evernote included, I can select text, hit my keyboard shortcut, and a live web result appears in its place, like magic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote