(Archived) Evernote for Mac 5.3.0 Beta 1

Jackolicious

Idea

• Level 5
Hi everyone!

We are excited to release our next major update with great stability fixes, more related notes, the ability to edit Evernote Food notes, and Evernote Business users can convert personal notebooks to business notebooks. Oh, and it's 64-bit :)

Get the latest Evernote beta here: http://evernote.com/download/get.php?file=PrereleaseMac

Enjoy!

31 replies to this idea

Is there any chance I could get some direct help with this crashing issue? It's been 3 months now and every suggestion I've been given has not worked. My feeling is that it's not fully getting uninstalled but there's no way for me to confirm this. I don't have a spare mac to test the newer versions on but I'd assume they work fine. The problem arose when an update/upgrade was available sometime in June and that has forever broken my desktop client. I know I'm not the only one experiencing this and the lack of support to get this resolved has been beyond frustrating.

After uninstalling Evernote (prior to installing this version), Evernote Helper remains installed, running, and displayed in the menu bar. Does anyone know how to uninstall/remove this? I still can't get Evernote to load without crashing..

Did you select "Quit" from the Elephant menu before uninstalling?

was able to fix the Evernote Helper issue... it was running from the Trash! is that expected behavior? i reinstalled the version of Evernote from this thread and i'm getting the same results- failure. it gets stuck on syncing a few seconds after logging in. cpu is pegged at 100% and current real mem usage is at 2.75GB and climbing. my macbook air has 8GB of RAM and Evernote is not responding according to Activity Monitor. can someone *PLEASE* fix this????

I'm on Beta 3 now (but figured this out on last beta) but when on All notes view, by TODO's (reminders) are not broke down by notebook anymore (as they used to and as they still show up in the web/mobile clients).
Is this a planned change? I **definitely** prefer it as it was, meaning reminders tab showing my reminders per notebook and then inside each structure ordered as chosen (due date for ex).
Thanks for any replies.

I installed the beta from your website after uninstalling my app store download but i'm still crashing when opening. This is getting frustrating becuase I haven't been able to get Evernote to work on my Mac since June. I did report it but haven't heard back from support after I sent my log info.

Igoose, sounds like you have "Sort Reminders by Date" enabled. Click the gear in your Reminders area to toggle it.

good call man, thanks. I might be going crazy but thought that both should be possible (sort by notebooks and then by date due. seems this can't be achieved atm, any plans to allow this? quite useful if you use your notebooks as context's for example.

After uninstalling Evernote (prior to installing this version), Evernote Helper remains installed, running, and displayed in the menu bar. Does anyone know how to uninstall/remove this? I still can't get Evernote to load without crashing..

A strange little buglet I've found in this version of the beta:  

I start a new note, and enter several lines of text into it.  Then, I select a word in the text, and select Format / Link / Add.  I paste in my URL, click "okay", and instead of creating a hyperlink, Evernote pastes the URL on the line ABOVE the text I had selected.  The selected text does not become a link, either.  

This doesn't happen every time I try to add a link, but probably 70% of the time.  

It's nothing tragic, of course, but sort of annoying, since I store lots of hyperlinks in Evernote.  

Just wanted to report this.  Please let me know if you need details / screenshots / etc.  

Thank you. 

Hi everyone!

We are excited to release our next major update with great stability fixes, more related notes, the ability to edit Evernote Food notes, and Evernote Business users can convert personal notebooks to business notebooks. Oh, and it's 64-bit :)

Get the latest Evernote beta here: http://evernote.com/download/get.php?file=PrereleaseMac

Enjoy!

I've updated, but now my EN won't sync with the web server, I have try all the alternatives, uninstalling, creating new account, but nthing works. 

I have submitted a ticket for over a week, but no one has get back to me on this matters, this is killing me since I have all my works save in EN please helpppp 

I am getting a ton of spinning beachballs and frozen responses with this release. Just clicking from one note to view another note I will have to wait 1-3 minutes just for it to show up. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times. If I install Evernote from the app store or the previous beta version I don't have this problem at all. 

Is anyone else running into this problem at all?

I removed the old App using AppCleaner, installed this version and I still get the spinning wheel. This time Evernote won't crash but my Mac gets really warm and eventually runs out of memory. Another failed attempt  :(  

Activity Monitor says Evernote is not responding as it did before but unlike before, the app never fully crashes/shuts down.

(3) This is Important

- I think the screen that appears when you select multiple notes needs work. I think I finally figured out why I keep putting notes into the wrong notebooks (once my private notes ended up in a very public notebook). It is terribly obvious to me now what mistake I have been making. If you select a notebook, it automatically starts moving things. If you select the wrong notebook, it goes there. If you notice it, you cannot actually stop it (my Evernote account is still pinwheeling while I write this). I suppose you could turn off the Internet and desperately try to stop it from syncing (assuming you notice it in time), but this doesn't seem like a very intuitive way to work. 

- Why not have a button to press when you are done moving and adding things instead of starting the operation at once?

- Why not have a dialogue of some kind telling us when a process is complete?

I've had a couple of "oh no"- moments as well. So I second the suggestion. It seems moving multiple notes to a notebook is also what sometimes causes the last of the selected notes to still appear in the original notebook even if it says it's in the destination notebook ...

Also, when merging notes it would be helpful to see which order the notes are merged in. That is, a list instead of the graphics that reveals no useful information whatsoever.

• Level 5*

2) Login from the forum is controlled via our Evernote web login. Just logout there and you should be logged out of the forum.

Any web links you use to leave the Evernote desktop client should automatically log you in to the web client.

Something is weird. It takes several logout attempts to actually get "really" logged out and into the forums. The beta app seems to be the major change here in the last few days, but maybe it is my browser settings, or a forum update to blame. I'll look into it. It helps to know there is nothing going on between the app and the website in this regard.

• Level 5*

(3) This is Important

- I think the screen that appears when you select multiple notes needs work. I think I finally figured out why I keep putting notes into the wrong notebooks (once my private notes ended up in a very public notebook). It is terribly obvious to me now what mistake I have been making. If you select a notebook, it automatically starts moving things. If you select the wrong notebook, it goes there. If you notice it, you cannot actually stop it (my Evernote account is still pinwheeling while I write this). I suppose you could turn off the Internet and desperately try to stop it from syncing (assuming you notice it in time), but this doesn't seem like a very intuitive way to work. 

- Why not have a button to press when you are done selecting things to move and adding tags instead of starting the operation at once?

- Why not have a dialogue of some kind telling us when a process is complete?

• Level 5

2) Login from the forum is controlled via our Evernote web login. Just logout there and you should be logged out of the forum.

Any web links you use to leave the Evernote desktop client should automatically log you in to the web client.

• Level 5*

(1) Evernote icon missing in Mission Control

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/e9fb561f-8535-4824-a926-f320e0ed369e/7f475ec589375106e40de11e2f9cd727

(2) Login

- Has something changed in the app so that the Web interface automatically tries to login to the account I have in Evernote on my desktop? Every time I open the Web I get logged into this account, even though I want to be in another one. As for the forums, it is impossible for me to stay logged on these days. I close the browser, and when I open it back up, here I am logged into the wrong account again. The forum and Evernote Web are tied together, so I assume there is some kind of unpleasant interaction going on here. I have to sign out of the forum, logout of the Web, and sometimes repeat the procedure several times before I can finally log into the forum. Does this have anything to do with the beta? 

• Level 5*

Yours are different and more thorough. We just tried to automate the process for folks so they don't have to work so hard :)

But, you said "outdated," like I'm living in the past or something! Well, I'll suggest your way (care to spell out the steps for me?) and then I'll suggest mine so that everyone has a choice.

• Level 5*

GrumpyMonkey's instructions are out of date.

You can absolutely replace your Mac App Store version of Evernote with one directly from evernote.com. As always, to be perfectly safe, back your machine up first. Then run the direct download version of Evernote. It will copy all of your Mac App Store notes/settings over. Then, you can remove your old Mac App Store files from your machine. The old files will be in ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote

Enjoy!

I'd be pleased as punch to update the instructions and put a link right at the top to any official Evernote step-by-step instructions, or provide that set of instructions in its entirety on my site if you'd be kind enough to supply them. As far as I know, there are no such instructions anywhere else at the moment (the KB has stuff about Windows recovery, but nothing for Mac). In fact, as far as I know, there never have been instructions, and I am the only one anywhere who provides step-by-step explanations of what to do.

Two points of clarification:

(1) I think all of my instructions up to #2 are correct, right? You wrote that the App Store files could be in a single location, but in fact, aren't there still two possibilities?

(2) I never say you "can't" install the direct download of Evernote over your App Store version. I say this is the way to "easily" switch. I say this because (I think you would agree) you ought to delete your App Store data. This is difficult when Apple has hidden the Library by default and many folks don't even know what kind of computer they have (what is a Fusion drive, they ask?), much less where in the world the hidden Library is. App Zapper does everything for them.

Are my instructions "outdated," or just different than what you'd do? I think the latter. If they are wrong, I'd definitely like to know! Anyhow, like I said, I'd be glad to update the post with alternative "official" procedures.

[EDIT:] There is one outdated part I see. The link now takes you to a page where it is OK to press the green button. I will update that with the correct information.

• Level 5

GrumpyMonkey's instructions are out of date.

You can absolutely replace your Mac App Store version of Evernote with one directly from evernote.com. As always, to be perfectly safe, back your machine up first. Then run the direct download version of Evernote. It will copy all of your Mac App Store notes/settings over. Then, you can remove your old Mac App Store files from your machine. The old files will be in ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote

Enjoy!

• Level 5*

Can i use it to replace my App Store version of Evernote?

My guess is that you will be better off going through the process of getting rid of your AppStore version and then using this one. My recommendation would be to completely strip out all remnants of it in order to make the transition go smoothly. Here are directions. Where it says to download directly from the site, just use the beta instead.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=135

Archived