David Allen's Best Practices Guide for GTD & Evernote

David Allen Company

For those of you who are GTD fans, we just released a new GTD® & Evernote® Setup Guide. Two different versions available for Mac and Windows desktop. Lots of great GTD tips, tricks, and strategies from David Allen & team for configuring Evernote Notebooks for projects, next actions, and reference Notebooks. You can find them here:

https://secure.davidco.com/store/catalog/Setup-Guides-p-1-c-263.php

Hope you find this useful for your GTD practice!

• 3 weeks later...

I have already downloaded the GTD for iPhone/iPad guide. I still have not decided if I want to go with that methodology or not, so I am looking into the EN based guide. Before I buy these, too, I have a couple of questions:

1. Does the David Allen version of GTD on EN use reminders at all?

2. I use EN on my iPhone, my Mac and my PC. How much is really different between the PC and Mac guides?

Hi Don,

The GTD & Evernote for Mac desktop Guide does cover Reminders, because those were available at the time of publishing. The GTD & Evernote for Windows desktop Guide does not cover Reminers, because those are not officially in the product yet (only in beta as far as we know.)  We will be updating the Windows Guide when Reminders is released in that version.

The Evernote team can best answer your second question, but from our experience those 3 versions are quite different visually, which is why we have two different Guides for Mac vs. Windows desktop. Same data carries over, it will just look different on the 3 platforms. But lots of people split Evernote across different platforms, as you describe, and it works quite well.

Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello pcavatore--We updated the Windows Guide last week. You can find it here: https://secure.davidco.com/store/catalog/Setup-Guides-p-1-c-263.php

If you previously purchased the Windows Guide, you should have received an email from us offering you a free update. If you did not receive that email, please email our team at customerservice@davidco.com.

Hope that helps!

• 3 months later...

Evernote is a great product, but I think better suited for implementing GTD would be Gqueues. I have been using gqueues for 2 years and have been utilizing GTD methodology as well with it. It took me less than an hour to implement GTD in gqueues after seeing the below video. Gqueues also allows for subtasks, which is important for composite tasks and complex projects.

Check out this video and see if you can't implement GTD in gqueues as quickly as I did :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y3Ybh60-2Y

Evernote is a great product, but I think better suited for implementing GTD would be Gqueues. I have been using gqueues for 2 years and have been utilizing GTD methodology as well with it. It took me less than an hour to implement GTD in gqueues after seeing the below video. Gqueues also allows for subtasks, which is important for composite tasks and complex projects.

Check out this video and see if you can't implement GTD in gqueues as quickly as I did :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y3Ybh60-2Y

I've been using Evernote for GTD quite successfully based on the suggestions in the Evernote for GTD guide. There's nothing about Evernote that is inherently unsuitable for GTD. It's all a matter of personal preference. If Gqueues is working well for you, great! But I can attest that Evernote can also work quite well.

• 2 weeks later...

The GTD & Evernote for Mac desktop Guide does cover Reminders, because those were available at the time of publishing. The GTD & Evernote for Windows desktop Guide does not cover Reminers, because those are not officially in the product yet (only in beta as far as we know.)  We will be updating the Windows Guide when Reminders is released in that version.

Hello,

Is the Windows Guide now updated with reminders?

Thank you.

• 4 months later...

I've tried so many ways to implement GTD. But I've always looked for a way that's streamlined, mobile, and... enjoyable.

There's certain hacks I've used implement David Allen's practices, with tools like: Omnifocus, Todoist, Trello, Wunderlist, Nozbe, etc. but I seem to keep coming back to Evernote. And here's the reason why: It doesn't tell me how to use it— I tell it how I want it to be used. And... I can change it any time I'd like.

If you've read Getting Things Done, you'll remember that David doesn't emphasize the tool per se, just the process.  Evernote, along with your own unique tagging structure, perhaps similar to "The Secret Weapon" (for example), you'll be living GTD while others are going back-and-forth from app-to-app, copying and pasting, only to get wearied by the process, and still not getting much done.  Here's to Evernote...

Cheers!

RG 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Can anyone provide advice on how to set up a view on the iPad so I can view my notes sorted by GTD tages (1-Now, etc.) I have only found a Notes view that sorts my date. Tips appreciated.

Also, on my PC (to which I just had to transition for work), the Notes view by tag puts the Where tags (@work) ahead of the When tags (1-now) making sorting difficult. Again, tips appreciated

Archived