Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo

David Allen's Best Practices Guide for GTD & Evernote

gtd productivity getting things done

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 David Allen Company

David Allen Company

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:00 PM

For those of you who are GTD fans, we just released a new GTD® & Evernote® Setup Guide. Two different versions available for Mac and Windows desktop. Lots of great GTD tips, tricks, and strategies from David Allen & team for configuring Evernote Notebooks for projects, next actions, and reference Notebooks. You can find them here:

https://secure.david...s-p-1-c-263.php

Hope you find this useful for your GTD practice!

#2 evernote-fan

evernote-fan

• PipPipPip
  • Title: Bushwhacker
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

Thank you very much for the guide!  :) I've been waiting for an "official" statement from David Allen for using EN for GTD for a long time! 

I bought it just two weeks ago and it's really a good help for using EN and GTD!

*** Premium member *** I love Evernote - it has changed my life!

#3 David Allen Company

David Allen Company

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:02 PM

Great! So glad you found it useful.

#4 ab1kenobee

ab1kenobee

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:47 PM

Hello David:

I am new to EverNote, therefore I had no clue what GTD is.

For those of you in my boat, this link may prove helpful:

http://lifehacker.co...uctivity-system

Thank you,

Alan

#5 David Allen Company

David Allen Company

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:03 PM

Here is a good overview about David Allen's GTD methodology:  http://www.davidco.com/about-gtd

#6 Don Mullins

Don Mullins

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:17 AM

I have already downloaded the GTD for iPhone/iPad guide. I still have not decided if I want to go with that methodology or not, so I am looking into the EN based guide. Before I buy these, too, I have a couple of questions:

1. Does the David Allen version of GTD on EN use reminders at all?

2. I use EN on my iPhone, my Mac and my PC. How much is really different between the PC and Mac guides?

#7 David Allen Company

David Allen Company

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

Hi Don,

The GTD & Evernote for Mac desktop Guide does cover Reminders, because those were available at the time of publishing. The GTD & Evernote for Windows desktop Guide does not cover Reminers, because those are not officially in the product yet (only in beta as far as we know.)  We will be updating the Windows Guide when Reminders is released in that version.

The Evernote team can best answer your second question, but from our experience those 3 versions are quite different visually, which is why we have two different Guides for Mac vs. Windows desktop. Same data carries over, it will just look different on the 3 platforms. But lots of people split Evernote across different platforms, as you describe, and it works quite well.

Hope that helps!

#8 evernote-fan

evernote-fan

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:29 PM

We will be updating the Windows Guide when Reminders is released in that version.

Will the update be for free for those who have already purchased the guide?

#9 David Allen Company

David Allen Company

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:05 PM

We will be updating the Windows Guide when Reminders is released in that version.

Will the update be for free for those who have already purchased the guide?

Yes!

#10 evernote-fan

evernote-fan

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:45 PM

That's really nice! Thank you!

#11 black.rhino

black.rhino

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:32 PM

Notebook called Tickler plus reminders equals true tickler system. Using reminders on tasks will only cause backlogs and clutter. Put due dates on calendars.

BlackBerry 10

Feature Requests

#12 atpid us

atpid us

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:35 PM

That's really nice

#13 pcavatore

pcavatore

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:37 PM

Afaik new evernote 5 for Windows includes reminders now. When are you expecting to update the guide?

#14 David Allen Company

David Allen Company

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:02 PM

Hello pcavatore--We updated the Windows Guide last week. You can find it here: https://secure.david...s-p-1-c-263.php

If you previously purchased the Windows Guide, you should have received an email from us offering you a free update. If you did not receive that email, please email our team at customerservice@davidco.com.

Hope that helps!

#15 pcavatore

pcavatore

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:55 PM

That's great...will buy it asap then.

Thanks

#16 evernote-fan

evernote-fan

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:06 PM

Thanks for the free update :-)! I love it!

#17 Michael Magistro

Michael Magistro

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:07 AM

Evernote is a great product, but I think better suited for implementing GTD would be Gqueues. I have been using gqueues for 2 years and have been utilizing GTD methodology as well with it. It took me less than an hour to implement GTD in gqueues after seeing the below video. Gqueues also allows for subtasks, which is important for composite tasks and complex projects.

Check out this video and see if you can't implement GTD in gqueues as quickly as I did :)

https://www.youtube....h?v=2Y3Ybh60-2Y

#18 Bill Myers

Bill Myers

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:14 PM

Evernote is a great product, but I think better suited for implementing GTD would be Gqueues. I have been using gqueues for 2 years and have been utilizing GTD methodology as well with it. It took me less than an hour to implement GTD in gqueues after seeing the below video. Gqueues also allows for subtasks, which is important for composite tasks and complex projects.

Check out this video and see if you can't implement GTD in gqueues as quickly as I did :)

https://www.youtube....h?v=2Y3Ybh60-2Y

I've been using Evernote for GTD quite successfully based on the suggestions in the Evernote for GTD guide. There's nothing about Evernote that is inherently unsuitable for GTD. It's all a matter of personal preference. If Gqueues is working well for you, great! But I can attest that Evernote can also work quite well.

#19 GHamilton1972

GHamilton1972

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:32 AM

After trying a few GTD Android aps, I came across Zendone. It turns Evernote into the heart of an amazing GTD system, and is really, really easy to use. I can't wait to check out this guide and see if it can be made even better.

#20 Jan-Helge Christiansen

Jan-Helge Christiansen

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:26 PM

I have just gone through the set up guide, and one thing commented in the guide is the challenge to see if the na is done or not. The last years I have based my implementation on the guidelines I found at http://ruudhein.com/evernote-gtd and have to say that this is the solution that gives me the best flow - including control on done / not done :-)

-jhc

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)
Clip to Evernote