Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Web

Easy way to create "To Do" shopping list?

evernote

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 senatemdm

senatemdm

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:13 PM

Hello Evernote Community, 

I'm pretty frustrated at the moment.  I am either totally missing something, or is there NOT a way to, very simply put...on your LAPTOP browser (not app) create a "new note", and then have this note be a simple grocery list, by making the entire "note" a "To do checkbox" so that when you start, you can easily say "Bread" and then hit enter, having the NEXT LINE be another checkbox and then say "Milk" and then hit enter, and then the next line be another checkbox, and say "cheese" and then ....etc. etc. etc.  Currently, it seems that you can't hit enter without the formatting going out the window and you have to manually click another "to do checkbox" which is wholly unnecessary and time wasting.  This should be very simple, yet - I can't find it.

The main reason I want a shopping list FULL of "to do checkboxes" is so that when i'm at said grocery store, all I have to do is click the checkbox to indicate I've picked up the item.  Thats all!

Please let me know if i'm being a bonehead and have missed something.  Otherwise, I would HIGHLY recommend this insanely simple thing be added to make my (and others) lives easier.  There's PLENTY of note taking apps that do this functionality, but none of which hold a candle to the robust functionality and seemless syncing of Evernote; which is why I'm a huge fan of Evernote.

Let me know if this feature is soon to be added.

Thanks,

Vince

Attached Files

#2 Analyst444

Analyst444

• PipPip
  • Title: Alliance Lackey
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

senatemdm - I checked on what you said on the web version of Evernote and found the same thing. My iphone versions works as you want it to. If you have Evernote installed on a smartphone or tablet, you may want to check it out and see if it operates as you want it to.

Evernote Developers, I think the web version should work as senatemdm sees it. Please add this to your potential enhancements list.

#3 jbenson2

jbenson2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: User # 142,683
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:33 PM

I find a grocery list on Evernote to be overkill.

My preference is to use a Grocery List app on my mobile phone.

Easy, fast to open and use. And it is designed for grocery shopping.

The built in database makes shopping a snap.

I prefer Grocery Gadget

http://grocerygadget...dgets-work.aspx

Here are some others.

http://ipod.about.co...y-List-Apps.htm

#4 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,764 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:56 PM

No Evernote client has the ability to make a "To-do"note, such that all lines get a to-do checkbox automatically prepended. This isn't ordinarily much of a problem for most clients, however, the web client doesn't appear to use the same convention as the Windows and Android clients do (and that the web client does with bulleted and numbered lists); in those two clients (and I think others, like the Mac), if your line starts with a to-do checkbox, and is followed by some text, typing Enter to go to a new line starts that new line with a to-do checkbox.

This would be a good behavior to add.
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#5 senatemdm

senatemdm

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:07 PM

Analyst444 - You're correct; I tested beforehand, maybe I should have mentioned as well; but the app functionality includes the ability to start a grocery list with "to do checkbox" to begin with, and everytime you hit enter, the next line will automatically be a "to do checkbox" which is ideal.  What is NOT ideal however, is creating an entire list on a tablet or phone with the slower data input.  I can type out a grocery list in about a minute and a half, whereas on a tablet, it doesnt matter what method of text input, it will naturally be slower and more time consuming.  WHICH is part of the frustration for me...why wouldn't Evernote have included this functionality on the web client (browser) but it's available for the app?! seems to not be consistent.

JBenson2 - that's the point - Why would anyone want more individual apps, taking up storage space, to do certain individual things?  Why would I want to download and install a flashlight app if it can be built right into a different app (e.g. I have Battery Widget Reborn app, which tells me about my battery, has wi-fi toggle settings and setup, AND has a flashlight right from the notification dropdown.  THIS is fantastic)

Jefito - Thanks.  I hope the folks at evernote pay some attention to these forum boards, and will see this and take it into consideration for a future update.

Thanks guys.

#6 megsaint

megsaint

• Title: Moderator
  • 814 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:39 PM

JBenson2 - that's the point - Why would anyone want more individual apps, taking up storage space, to do certain individual things?  Why would I want to download and install a flashlight app if it can be built right into a different app (e.g. I have Battery Widget Reborn app, which tells me about my battery, has wi-fi toggle settings and setup, AND has a flashlight right from the notification dropdown.  THIS is fantastic)

Thanks guys.

Because very often an app that is designed to do one thing does it far better than an app that tries to do too many things. Evernote is not a particularly good text editor. That feature is grafted onto its core functions and well, there are lots of apps that do it better.

This is also why I carry a flashlight. ;) 

EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#7 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • 10,764 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:40 PM

Jefito - Thanks.  I hope the folks at evernote pay some attention to these forum boards, and will see this and take it into consideration for a future update.

Evernote staffers do read every post, so I'm sure they'll put it onto the list. Some of the staff members post -- the iOS, Windows, Mac and Android clients are usually well-represented, but the web folks are a bit more mysterious. You may not get any actual feedback on this until you see it working in the web client.
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request

#8 jbenson2

jbenson2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:31 AM

With over 25,000 notes and almost 4 years using the program, I have a good understanding of Evernote's limitations.

Why use other programs (when they take up additional space)? Because they do today, what I want them to do today.

• PowerPoint for my business presentations
  • Flickr for my personal photos
  • Xcel for my spreadsheets
  • WorkFlowy for my outlines
  • Google Calendar for my appointments and reminders
  • iTunes for my music
  • LastPass for my passwords
  • etc, etc, etc.

You can wait for Evernote to address your grocery list requirements, but it won't happen overnight.

In the meantime, there are free solutions available right now for this weekend's shopping.

#9 skellam

skellam

• PipPipPip
  • Title: Bushwhacker
  • 134 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:12 AM

DevCup Category Winner Grocerytrip looks like it may take some of the pain out of making and maintaining grocery shopping lists.  Look at their video...

#10 jbenson2

jbenson2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:42 AM

skellam

Thanks for the link - a 3rd party app for Evernote - perfect.

edit: not perfect - I thought DevCup winners were finished projects.

Scheduled release date for GroveryTrip: Fall 2013

#11 Matt Miller

Matt Miller

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:43 PM

@skellam

Glad I stumbled upon this post!

I'm the developer for Grocerytrip, and I can confirm that it does exactly what you are looking for. Even though it specializes in grocery lists, it will create a to-do list from all sorts of items in a note, regardless of what types of items they are.

Also a clarification - Grocerytrip was a finished product when it won the Food & Cooking category in the Devcup, but is currently "Waiting for Review" in the App Store, and will be available when iOS 7 launches later this week on September 20. Assuming the review process goes smoothly, of course.  :)

If you would like to learn more, or want to sign up to be alerted when it goes live in the App Store, visit my website!

#12 senatemdm

senatemdm

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:18 PM

@skellem & @Matt Miller - thanks for replying.  Saw the video; looks like a really great app.  I'm on Android however, not iOS.  Do you plan on releasing it on Google Play?

JBenson & Megsaint - you both make good points.  Difference of opinion, I guess.  I don't like downloading ANY ONE MORE APP than I absolutely need.  I've found that your phone just crawls to a slow death if you keep downloading whatever the hell you want, whenever you want.

While I still think a simple formatting edit would be great to add for the desktop version of Evernote to keep the checkmarks intact while you make up a grocery list would be nice; I won't lose sleep if it never gets added.  I also won't download a seperate app to do what Evernote can already do, just not as well.  Not worth it.

That being said - kudos on your app Matt Miller; my wife would probably love something like that (she is the cook!).  She's on Android as well, however.

Thanks guys.

Cheers.

#13 Olivia666

Olivia666

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:35 PM

I was searching for the same question as you Senetmdm. The third reply is correct from Jefito. I didn't even look at the formatting palette just above the text box. Very simply solution. Thank you!

#14 Tracey Smith

Tracey Smith

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:23 PM

Still looking for an effective answer to this.  I use multiple versions of Evernote and rarely actually use the online version.  I have both a windows and mac laptop and an iphone and android tablet so the ability to use ANY of them to edit my notes is why I stick with Evernote for a grocery list as opposed to one of the many grocery list apps.

My solution for now that has worked well for me is to have a "templates" notebook in Evernote where I have a master copy of things like a grocery list or other forms I use often.  Then I just need "copy" a new note and start adding items.  I used to use Evernote for my to do list as well, but I needed the ability to add recurring reminders to things so ended up moving my to do lists to Any.do.  

Hope that helps :)

Tracey Smith
"Be Careful what you ask for, you just might get it"
http://traceysmith311.tumblr.com/

#15 Augie

Augie

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:53 PM

+1

Yes, this should be a standard feature.  Even google keep has this feature.

I understand a lot of apps are good at lists.... but I just want to use evernote for all my organizational needs.

Nice post.

#16 jbenson2

jbenson2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:29 AM

+1

Yes, this should be a standard feature.  Even google keep has this feature.

I understand a lot of apps are good at lists.... but I just want to use evernote for all my organizational needs.

Nice post.

Yup, just got back from the Grocery store and Home Depot before the snow gets too deep.

12 list items in Google Keep on my Android - all checked off as I shopped.

Piece of cake. Ready for the weekend.

#17 Stretchymantis

Stretchymantis

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:42 PM

Continuous checkboxes do work in Evernote, at least in iOS  7 and the Desktop app (doesn't seem to for the WebApp. I was going crazy trying to find a solution when I came across here. I just now got it working so I'd be curious if others have success (especially on Android).

1) Click the checklist icon to create a new checkbox in your (seemingly works with current *and* new) note.

2) Without pressing spacebar first (for me it would sometimes not work if I did). Type your item. Press enter for the next line.

NOTE: At this point the first time, you wont' get a continuous list. I think Evernote does this to simplify one-off checklists... Or something.

3) Repeat steps 1 and 2 and then the second note should automatically generate a checkbox for you. Once I had to repeat the steps twice in around, dunno why, probly something I did.

What's neat is that if I exit out then go back into the note, it seems to remember that I have a continuous checklist and continues it.

Hope that helps!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: web, evernote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote