How to use note history in Evernote

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Thank you for the video, that was very helpful. 

When I restore a note from a version in history, the newly restored note does contain any of the prior versions. Is there a way to restore a note from history, while maintaining the historical versions of that note? Keeping the old version history is of great value, and I'd really rather not loose it. If I import a version into a new notebook that version has no prior versions. 

Also, is there a way to get the differences between note versions within Evernote, such as a version from history and the current note? 

I've seen help articles which say that the only way to get differences is to export the two notes and do a diff thru another utility, but those answers were a couple of years old, so I don't know if that's still the case. One of the hard things about searching message boards for answers is that its not clear when an old answer may no longer be correct due to feature changes. 

Thanks!

• 8 months later...

If a topic is important enough to make a video, can they please post a transcript below the video?

Some folks like video, some like to read.

I want to get something done, and it is frustrating to have to sit through a video to find out what I need to know, when scanning a doc might provide the answer in 30 seconds.

Please provide transcripts below the videos. I find the lack of at least a written summary to be tremendously frustrating!

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, pacaguy said:

I want to get something done, and it is frustrating to have to sit through a video to find out what I need to know, when scanning a doc might provide the answer in 30 seconds.

Search is your friend.   Here's just one article I found in a quick search:
Pro tip: Evernote keeps a complete history of all your changes 

Having said that, I agree, a succinct summary would be very helpful.  Unfortunately, documentation has never been Evernote's strong suit.

Annotation works on images and PDF's. You could turn your note into a PDF and then annotate that. If you're on Mac, you're in luck. The Mac client has a button for that in the note toolbar. 

I tried it on a PC. It just crashed over and over. Totally useless.

I tried it on my Mac. It worked a little better.  

Overall, it was not a good experience.  I was very disappointed.

My workaround for now is to type notes below the image, which was my weekly plan.  So, for now, I'll just type new todos, etc 

separately outside the image.

It doesn't work at all on the PC.  I will try again on the Mac.

Thanks for the encouragement.

• 1 year later...

I know that this thread is quite old, but I just lost 20 pages of handwritten text from Penultimate today. The only thing saved in Evernote was a blank page. Despite tons of notes in the migration logs, etc., I can't find any old backup. Is there any other location where I can retrieve these notes? I am so disappointed to be without all of this content.

Thanks in advance, Cheri

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, CheriK said:

I know that this thread is quite old, but I just lost 20 pages of handwritten text from Penultimate today. The only thing saved in Evernote was a blank page. Despite tons of notes in the migration logs, etc., I can't find any old backup. Is there any other location where I can retrieve these notes? I am so disappointed to be without all of this content.

Thanks in advance, Cheri

Did you check note history on your desktop?

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, CheriK said:

As per this discussion, my recovery process would be to access the Note History backup591475708e213_ScreenShot2017-05-11at7_28_00AM.png.de4e2b3b8e8759ace117a459fb0c18ad.png
and retrieve a previous version of the note

So, I already checked Evernote. There is nothing in Evernote, as I did not have access to wifi during the conference, so it didn't back up. I had a "local" version of the notes that I could see until I walked off the property where the conference was...then everything went blank. The only thing that still seems to recognize that I did all of that work is the Penultimate  Activity Log  (under Settings) that documents all of my activity during the conference.

About checking my desktop...I don't have Penultimate on my desktop. I exclusively use it on my iPad and it generally syncs to my iPad Evernote. I'm not sure if you mean downloading something for desktop to check the note history?

• Level 5*

Note history is available through the desktop apps for premium users.  But if the info never made if from Penultimate to EN it wouldn't be of any use.  This only works if the notes haven't been deleted and since you said you had a blank page in EN I thought it might be worth a try.

• 10 months later...

My question for note history is, if you don't have the premium version, does it still retain note history?  Meaning, if I had a note that had history to it that I want to recover, if I upgrade from the Basic version to the Premium version, would I be able to recover the history of the note?  Is this something I can try using the business Trial?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, LucasZ said:

My question for note history is, if you don't have the premium version, does it still retain note history?  Meaning, if I had a note that had history to it that I want to recover, if I upgrade from the Basic version to the Premium version, would I be able to recover the history of the note?  Is this something I can try using the business Trial?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, the Note History backup is maintained for all accounts and runs multiple times a day.

Access to the data is a paid account feature.

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

Yes, the Note History backup is maintained for all accounts and runs multiple times a day.

Access to the data is a paid account feature.

Thank you for the response.  So if the information were entered and then deleted only an hour later, it won't be available in the history I would imagine?  

• Level 5*
Just now, LucasZ said:

So if the information were entered and then deleted only an hour later, it won't be available in the history I would imagine?  

Maybe, but I wouldn't count on it.  Evernote will only commit to "multiple times per day"

• Level 5
4 hours ago, LucasZ said:

So if the information were entered and then deleted only an hour later, it won't be available in the history I would imagine?  

* If you are editing an existing note, and delete a portion of the information one hour later, the odds are the deleted information won't be caught by Evernote history. (I believe the backup occurs 3 times a day.)

* And if you are deleting the entire note,  it will definitely not be in Evernote history.  Even if it had been in your account for many weeks. Once a note is deleted, it is gone from Evernote history.

• 11 months later...
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, VMal said:

Question but I have basic and when I click "view history" it opens a new tab and the page shows "permission denied"?

The History function is not available to Basic subscribers.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, VMal said:

Question but I have basic and when I click "view history" it opens a new tab and the page shows "permission denied"?

A per @CalS, access to the Note History backup data is a paid account feature.

If you need to retrieve data, you can subscribe for a single month 

Archived