Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
iOS

iPhone error NSURLErrorDomain (-1003)

evernote

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 starsoft

starsoft

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:00 PM

Hello.
I started using Evernote some time ago and it worked like a sharm. But this was so far only on WiFi.
Then yesterday I was thinking to upgrade my account so I could use it more then the free data-limit (and support you guys). I was at a collegues place showing off Evernote and boy am I glad I did that.
I found out evernote can't connect to the servers when I'm not using WiFi. It gives me the following error.

"Error communicating with the Evernote servers: NSURLErrorDomain (-1003)"

What is the problem? I have internet access on my phone, Evernote even grabs the notes from the server properly, but as soon as I try to open one i get this error.
I can even submit notes to the servers. I only get the error when I try to view a note on my phone.

So anyone tell me what is wrong, is this a known bug? As I can't find anyone else who writes about this problem.

Guess I will have to wait upgrading my account untill this is solved... :D

#2 engberg

engberg

• Title: Evernote Employee
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 12,536 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for the report. We've heard from a few other users who've seen this problem on the iPhone, and we're investigating it so that we can try to fix it for the next release.

Thanks

- Dave Engberg (Evernote)

#3 Hiker42

Hiker42

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:41 AM

So.. when the heck ARE you planning on the next release? I'd be more than happy to pay the monthly sub if there was actually any point. As it is, for me, at the moment Evernote for iPhone is utterly useless. What seems to be happening is Evernote doesn't recognise GPRS as a valid network connection. However... I can create a note and it'll upload. I just have nothing coming the other way (if I create a note, it'll send fine but I can't then view it). Even when I've marked something as a fave, I can't view it (I get the "Unable to connect to the Evernote servers" error mentioned by the OP).

In a nutshell... I have precisely the same problem as the OP and it's driving me batty!

:roll:

#4 Hiker42

Hiker42

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:14 PM

Hmmmm. Interestingly, I now get the same error when using Wifi. What a shame.

Bye-bye Evernote, methinks.

Really... a shame...

I'd have thought, considering a dev had posted over a month ago in response to the OP, they'd be falling over themselves to get a fixed iPhone version out. Perhaps something broke Evernote with fw 2.2.1? Did it EVER work?

#5 engberg

engberg

• 12,536 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:35 PM

The next release is coming soon.

#6 wenglish

wenglish

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:01 AM

I too am getting this error on an iPhone with version 2.2 OS (jailbroken).

I only get the error on WiFi. On EDGE it works fine (just not at my house due to crappy EDGE coverage here :D ).

Everything else on the iPhone (and in my home network) works fine on WiFi, it's just Evernote on the iPhone that fails over WiFi.

Edit: This is version 2.0.0 (45857) of Evernote for iPhone

#7 wenglish

wenglish

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:49 PM

I did some more experimentation today in an area that has no cell service. Evernote for iPhone will not let me view the contents of my favorites if I do not have EDGE service. It gives me the same error as when I am on WiFi (-1003).

When I got back home I made some changes to one of my favorites via the web browser on the PC. I then fired up Evernote on the iPhone (on WiFi). Evernote on the iPhone recognized that my item had changed (proving it is successfully connecting to the server over WiFi), but when I tried to see the contents of the favorite item it failed with the (-1003). I reiterate, things work fine over EDGE, but fail on WiFi and fail with no service (even though I have set favorites available offline).

This completely defeats the purpose of having your favorites be available offline, and given that a new version has been "coming soon" for several months with no indication that the developer has the slightest idea of what is wrong, I have no choice but to give up on Evernote for the iPhone.

I don't know if the developer is paying attention or not, but if you are I hope this helps you figure out what is wrong.

Mike

#8 engberg

engberg

• 12,536 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:20 AM

Thanks for the report. We believed this is fixed for the 3.0 release, which will be available relatively soon.

#9 RoboJoe

RoboJoe

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:33 PM

Thanks for the report. We believed this is fixed for the 3.0 release, which will be available relatively soon.

I'm sad to say that it wasn't fixed in the 3.0 release, because my iPhone recently started doing this.

Here's what I know:

I can go to the mobile web site just fine. (http and https)
The EN app will sync correctly, and even update thumbnails.
This problem is in effect on 3G, Edge, and Wireless.
I am running 3.0 iPhone firmware.
I am running 3.0.2(52180) EN app version.
Everything else on my iPhone works as expected.

Here's what I've tried: (In the order I performed them, more or less)

I signed out and then signed back in.
I deleted all my notes from the server, and emptied the trash, then made a new text note from the iphone.
I deleted the text note and created a new one from the web browser.
I removed all tags from the server.
I deleted the app, then reinstalled.
I deleted the app, rebooted my phone, and reinstalled the app.

Here is what I'm not sure of:

I can't be certain because I wasn't paying attention, but I believe the issue started when I updated to 3.0.2. I'm not a heavy user, so I don't know when, exactly, it started, because my use is infrequent.

Here's what I don't understand:

I was tinkering around trying to get to the bottom of this, and I successfully accessed a note *once* when I unexpectedly received a text message in the middle of attempting to access a note. Immediately trying again resulted in failure.

If you have any questions or need anything else from me, please let me know.

#10 engberg

engberg

• 12,536 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:45 PM

Thanks for the report. I'll pass this along to QA, but could you try uninstalling our application, reboot your phone, and reinstall from the AppStore?
I'm curious whether this fixes the problem for you.

Thanks

#11 RoboJoe

RoboJoe

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:11 PM

Thanks for the report. I'll pass this along to QA, but could you try uninstalling our application, reboot your phone, and reinstall from the AppStore?
I'm curious whether this fixes the problem for you.

Thanks

I did that, without success.

A little more poking around tells me that this error means the application cannot find the host. That seems very odd to me, since I can find it just fine in Safari.

Side note: I also tried clearing my safari cache, but that didn't help either.

I'm hopeful that this will be resolved quickly.

#12 waseemk

waseemk

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 02:54 AM

Hello guys,

I am having the same issue. Surprisingly the problem occurs only on WiFi. On 3G/EDGE it works fine, no problem.

This is the exact error message I get:
"Error communicating with the Evernote servers: NSURLErrorDomain (-1003)"

I am using iPhone 3GS

Please do fix this issue. It practically makes Evernote unusable on the iPhone.

Thanks and best regards.

#13 engberg

engberg

• 12,536 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:04 PM

If you're seeing communication errors from the iPhone it would be useful to:

1) Check whether you can log in to our web site from Safari on that iPhone without any warnings or errors

2) Get more detailed information for us using Apple's Configuration Utility:
http://www.evernote.... ... 20c3f88f21

Thanks

#14 airbornemist6

airbornemist6

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:24 PM

Unfortunately, my phone is doing it too, apparently I can POST notes. I can see what notes are out there, but when I try to view one I get this error. Again, this works on 3G/EDGE, but not wifi. I'm running OS 3.0.1 jailbroken.

#15 airbornemist6

airbornemist6

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:26 PM

Sorry for the double post, but is there a version of that utility for Windows so I can get that information for you guys?

#16 waseemk

waseemk

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:41 PM

Sorry for the double post, but is there a version of that utility for Windows so I can get that information for you guys?

Yes there is:
http://support.apple... ... or_Windows

BTW, I had to restore my iPhone (for an unrelated reason), now it seems to be working fine. But I do agree that Evernote needs an update to better address this issue.

I hope this helps.

#17 Numbski

Numbski

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:47 PM

Just as an FYI - I'm getting this too. Brand new iPhone 3GS, 3.2.1 and Evernote 3.2.2 (Upgrading iPhone OS to 3.2.2 is not an option here for the moment). Happens on all notes regardless of whether it's just text or has an attachment. All notes appear in the list, but none are actually viewable. :(

Also appears to happen regardless of 3G/Edge/WiFi.

UPDATE:

This won't be an option for many, but if you select your notebooks to be offline notebooks that sync, then once they sync you're good (presumably because DNS is no longer a problem?).

Anyway, just thought I'd point that out.

#18 Numbski

Numbski

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:20 PM

BELOW YOU WILL FIND THE FIX TO THIS PROBLEM

I did as you asked and pulled the console up in the Apple utility. Here's the interesting bits:

Fri Feb 26 08:05:41 unknown Evernote[418] <Warning>: Started HTTP server on port
Fri Feb 26 08:05:42 unknown Evernote[418] <Warning>: *** Firewall: *** Firewall:
 Host: Error returned by gethostbyname
Fri Feb 26 08:05:42 unknown Evernote[418] <Warning>: -[NoteViewController webVie
w:didFailLoadWithError:] <UIWebView: 0x4a5e20; frame = (0 0; 320 372); autoresiz
e = W+H; layer = <CALayer: 0x4a82680>> Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1003 
UserInfo=0x4ac10d0 "can\M-b\M^@\M^Yt find host" ({\n    NSErrorFailingURLKey = h
ttp://localhost:49923/shard/s3/note/197998a4-5540-4d32-a8df-fb168b0e9a9c?render=
iphone30;\n    NSErrorFailingURLStringKey = "http://localhost:49923/shard/s3/not
e/197998a4-5540-4d32-a8df-fb168b0e9a9c?render=iphone30";\n    NSLocalizedDescrip
tion = "can\\U2019t find host";\n    NSUnderlyingError = Error Domain=kCFErrorDo
mainCFNetwork Code=-1003 UserInfo=0x4a98080 "A server with the specified hostnam
e could not be found.";\n})
Fri Feb 26 08:05:42 unknown Evernote[418] <Warning>: PB: Showing alert view: <UI
AlertView: 0x4a6e1e0; frame = (0 0; 0 0); opaque = NO; layer = <CALayer: 0x4a8fb
a0>>

So if I'm seeing right, it wants to connect to a web server running *on* the phone on port 49923, and is getting "Can't Find Host". To be exact, it can't find the hostname "localhost". I think I know what would cause that. It's stupid - but I know what's happening and can resolve it now.

#1 This problem will *only* happen on Jailbroken iPhones. If it happens on a stock one, then something, somewhere has gone horribly wrong.

#2 It is *likely* the fault of one of many cydia packages that modifies or removes /etc/hosts. Specifically Adblock I'm thinking of, or at least the small war that's been going on between BigBoss and various adblockers.

Here's the deal - Adblock does nothing more than replace your /etc/hosts file with one that routes all of the known ad hosting companies to 127.0.0.1. Enter BigBoss - specifically SBSettings. His app doesn't check to see if you can reach the ad hosts, it specifically runs a regex on /etc/hosts, and if he finds either his domains or admob listed in there, when you go to click "More", the app will say you have an "Ad-Blocking host file installed", and will exit, but offer to "fix" it for you. The "fix", I believe, is to move the hosts file out of the way, which brings us to where we are now.

The fix from the end-user's side is to make sure that /etc/hosts exists, and if it does, the following entry appears:

127.0.0.1  localhost

If it's not in there, put it there. In a terminal, try to `ping localhost` from the phone. If you can't do that, then Evernote will fail unless you have offline mirrors enabled.

What I *suspect* is happening here is that the programmers pointed at 'localhost' in one case, and '127.0.0.1' in the other case. It's splitting hairs, but in the case of jailbroken phones, it matters.

So in the next Evernote release, might I suggest doing s/localhost/127\.0\.0\.1/g on your code? :) It's bad that you'd need to, but the current state of affairs between Apple and the Jailbreakers seems to dictate that it's needed. The other thing you could do is a quick check to see if /etc/hosts exists, or if localhost can be pinged. If either of those tests fail, you know you have a jailbroken phone, and can pop a notice to the user that they needd to fix the problem.

I guess that's it. Sorry to add to your pile of support woes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote